Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

I really do want to try SIP. I just don't have the capital to invest in the pots and irrigation at this time though
I think I spent about $10-12 US on my 2 G (8L) buckets. $6 for the bucket itself, $1-2 for the food storage container from the dollar store, and the rest on the short length of pvc pipe and fittings for the fill tube. For that part though I could have easily used a short section of an old watering hose. Not sure what you mean about irrigation though. Watering consists of pouring water down the fill tube until it comes out the overflow hole. Very simple construction.

I use wicking as a watering method sometimes and it is based on that principle is it not?
Same basic idea, but a bit more fiddly since it's best to match the amount of wick to the plant size. I did mine all contained inside a pot so couldn't easily change things up. I've seen a different style shown on the #SIP Club thread with an external base/reservoir and wicks between that and a cloth pot that seems like it would provide more flexibility.

How tall do your plants get in the 1 Liter buckets, and what sort of girth?
My flower space is a grand total of 36" (1m) high, so once subtracting for the lights, the distance from the lights to the canopy, and the height of the pot, there ain't much headroom available, so I do training (generally quadlining for me) to keep the height down.

My space is also 36" (1m) wide and about half that deep and I can flower three plants in the 2G (8L) buckets in it, although the SIPs grow so well that I'm changing to only two at a time. I grow with a perpetual harvest and with three plants it was one a month, with two it's changing to one every 6 weeks.

Thank you Azi! This interests me:
I've seen a different style shown on the #SIP Club thread with an external base/reservoir and wicks between that and a cloth pot that seems like it would provide more flexibility.
I am honestly so skint I can barely afford petrol for my car lol. If I can use my fabric pots for SIP I will reconsider. Do you remember who it was who used the cloth pot? I would like to check out their setup.

This is good to know, thank you!

This is what my friend said: "I am not 100% sure as it's also the first time that it turned out like that for me. Usually I get this nutty, almost burned kind of taste.

I decarb in 1 liter consol mason jars, with the lid flipped upside down and the ring only loosely screwed on. It doesn't smell a lot like that and the terps seem to stick inside of the jar. I think I heat the oven to 100 degrees Celsius, place a dry towel on a backing pan and place the jar on the towel. I don't fill the jar completely so I can take it out of the oven and shake it every 20 minutes or so. After an hour I take out the jar.

I think I read somewhere that the terps become gas and settle down on the inside walls of the jar. So this time I just poured warm coconut oil till the buds are covered, basically using the same jar I used for the decarb. Maybe that saved the terps.

Then I just submerge the jar in a simmering water bath for another 1-2 hours stirring occasionally. If I got several jars and want a strong oil I just reuse the already infused oil for another jar."
So they're basically decarbing at 100ºC for an hour, which probably gets close to a total decarb. Not sure on that terp thing since if steam can escape then so can the terps. If you can smell it during decarb, those are the terpenes.
Decarb at 110 c for 100 minutes or so.
That was Sweet Sue's basic decarb method: 110 for 110.
Do you remember who it was who used the cloth pot? I would like to check out their setup.
Might have been @ReservoirDog though I can't find a pic at the moment:
I grow in Sunshine4 in 10 gallon cloth SIPs.

If I can use my fabric pots for SIP I will reconsider. Do you remember who it was who used the cloth pot? I would like to check out their setup.
Any of @Emilya 's current grows showcase that setup. Her's are pretty big examples but you can do the same in a much smaller container. On page 2 of the #SIP Club thread I described designs of several different sizes.

If using smaller pots like 2-3 gallon cloth bags you could use a large dishwashing pan as the outer container for the reservoir and upside down food storage containers in place of the drainage pipe she's using.

Nice. Here is mine if you want it.
100g flower dried
1L EVOO
Decarb at 110 c for 100 minutes or so.
Allow to cool to room temp (sometimes I'll place the decarbed buds in the container into the freezer.
Once all cooled, I add in the oil and return to the oven and mix every few hours. Oven temp is about 60 c on average. I don't use water at all in the process.
After about 12 hours of infusing I'll remove it and allow to cool.
Then freeze it over night and in the morning remove from freezer, bring back up to room temp and then it goes back into the oven to infuse for another 6 hours or so.
Strain and enjoy.
It does help a ton with pain. My Mrs had 2 home births using only that massaged into her base of spine. Both were dream births. Currently I have a broken hand and after using the oil it reels enveloped in angels wings or something similar.
How I missed this I have no idea! Perhaps we posted at the same time lol. Thank you! The gummies sound potent. This method is not far off from the one I do, following the lead of Shed and others. It sounds like the oven time is more or less the same, just split differently, and you and Shed are both refrigerating the decarb at some point of the process. So this makes me proper confident that they both sound reliable. :thanks:

I thought I'd bring this in here because it may be helpful to someone else too. I have just started looking into RSO. I haven't made it before but I believe it is good meds. I am still nervous that I'll set the house on fire, so if any of you who have made it can advise or reassure me that it's safer than it looks lol, please do.
Also, does anyone know how much bud one needs to yield sufficient for daily dosages of RSO, about a month's worth?

I found this video presentation that explains the process using countertop water distiller and frozen alcohol.

That's a pretty good if long and drawn out video. The process using ethyl alcohol is called QWET (quick wash ethyl alcohol) and Grandpa did a great and simple write up of it here:

He doesn't reclaim the alcohol but that step would just go before the final evaporation on the hotplate.

He also decarbs the rosin after the process is finished.

That's a pretty good if long and drawn out video. The process using ethyl alcohol is called QWET (quick wash ethyl alcohol) and Grandpa did a great and simple write up of it here:

He doesn't reclaim the alcohol but that step would just go before the final evaporation on the hotplate.

He also decarbs the rosin after the process is finished.
What an excellent tutorial. I am still nervous of the process. Not sure if I can take it on...
Then, suddenly there was a rash of Pyrex dishes exploding all over the world. That, and a bunch of people blowing up houses by not handling alcohol or butane correctly. Basically, the double boiler idea came to me for safety reasons.
^^^ this :laugh:

And no open flames or sparks, or joints or cigarettes - a rice cooker is preferred or an electric burner. This is very flammable stuff and you can't see the vapor. A good fan helps move the flammables away from your heat source.

And no open flames or sparks, or joints or cigarettes - a rice cooker is preferred or an electric burner. This is very flammable stuff and you can't see the vapor. A good fan helps move the flammables away from your heat source.
Thats some crazy shit

Thats some crazy shit
Yeah, I am wondering if pressed rosin isn't equally as good, if not better than RSO. I'd be interested to hear what the experienced makers will say about that. There was shop here that had industrial sized presses and you could rent time on them. I wonder if they are still around. Either way it looks like you need a lot of bud to fill a syringe or whatever for daily medical doses. I can't grow enough for that on my dining table :laugh:

So what say y'all? What is your preference, press or QWET.

Also, approximately how much rosin will I get from 30 g of bud?

I take mine outside, cover with a stocking and place it into a bowl of boiling water. Like a double boiler with no additional heat or a bain marie even. I replace the boiling water every half hour or so until the booze has evaporated then bring it inside to purge once it is like molasses in consistency.
you can finish it on the stove as there shouldn't be many fumes coming off it any longer.
With summer here you can just do this without the boiling water. Use a stainless steel or light-proof bowl, cover with a stocking and leave it somewhere warm. should be done in no time

I take mine outside, cover with a stocking and place it into a bowl of boiling water. Like a double boiler with no additional heat or a bain marie even. I replace the boiling water every half hour or so until the booze has evaporated then bring it inside to purge once it is like molasses in consistency.
you can finish it on the stove as there shouldn't be many fumes coming off it any longer.
With summer here you can just do this without the boiling water. Use a stainless steel or light-proof bowl, cover with a stocking and leave it somewhere warm. should be done in no time
So are you saying that the sun is evaporating unclaimed booze in your method? Please when you do it again, would you mind journaling and documenting the process so it easy to see step by step? How safe would it be to leave it outside in my postage stamp sized garden of the ground floor flat? I worry that an adjacent neighbor could light up a smoke behind the walls and that could cause a problem? I have stainless steel bowls and stockings 😃 So I could leave it on my tiled stoep until the booze is mostly gone and then pop it on the stove for the final bits?

Next question... how much oil would 30g bud yield, and do you think I could use Swaz, or must I try to access better?

here was shop here that had industrial sized presses and you could rent time on them.
This is a curious opportunity Carmen! Depending on rates it may be the way to go. Pressed rosen has way less plant matter in it so depending on what you want to use it for. Then there's the spent pucks and you're back to asking what to do with these?

Then there's the spent pucks and you're back to asking what to do with these?
What do you do with the spent pucks? lol Compost, salve?
This is a curious opportunity Carmen! Depending on rates it may be the way to go.
I keep meaning to investigate so I think I should. It wasn't an urban legend either ... I was actually in the shop, watching the presses in action. They sold all sorts of legal merch like clothes and cbd products and I always wondered how they got away with the presses because the people bringing material in would have been over the legal carry limit in most cases. I recently heard that there is a dispensary in a nearby town, so I want to investigate that too.
Pressed rosen has way less plant matter in it so depending on what you want to use it for.
It would be used as medication but I was wondering strength wise if the pressed stuff in gummies or brownies would be as effective medicinally as a glob of RSO and now it sounds to be the safest and most convenient option imo. Thanks Otter :)

What do you do with the spent pucks? lol Compost, salve?

I keep meaning to investigate so I think I should. It wasn't an urban legend either ... I was actually in the shop, watching the presses in action. They sold all sorts of legal merch like clothes and cbd products and I always wondered how they got away with the presses because the people bringing material in would have been over the legal carry limit in most cases. I recently heard that there is a dispensary in a nearby town, so I want to investigate that too.

It would be used as medication but I was wondering strength wise if the pressed stuff in gummies or brownies would be as effective medicinally as a glob of RSO and now it sounds to be the safest and most convenient option imo. Thanks Otter :)
Pressing is pretty convenient. Press, decarb, mix with oil of choice or not.

Back
Top Bottom