Would like to hear from old timers like myself - the 70s

Experienced Growers help please

Hey whats good 420world str8 up to the point I wanna start a little grow prolly 1 or 2 plants but my grow area is not a closet its more of like a small storage room type space. my problem is no air circulation...my house has no central heating and air shits old I have a 150w hps sun system n it gets pretty hot with the door closed I mean what would u suggest what type of fan or fans I need to regulate the temperature?????

much thanks for your service rex. I missed that but I remember...IM curious ...was there wild growing weed over there?:peace:

Growing wild ?, growing wild ?, growing wild ?
Oh, sorry, was just daydreaming about it. Not yes, but hell yes. Little story. Spring 1970, several days before they said we were in Cambodia, our original staging area was next to a large field of green gold, Vietnam`s marijuana. Needless to say we moved the next day. Usually got a pack of 20 redi-rolls for less then 2 bucks. Looked like a pack of Camel cigs, plus all you could smoke while you were there. Peace.

When I first started smoking back in the mid-80s you couldn't get anything but hash. It was the early 90s before I ever smoked my first marijuana, but I'd been using hash for years. From that point on it was the opposite; pot everywhere but it was almost impossible to find hash. I've often wondered why hash was so prevalent in the 80s.

because in 70-80s it was easy to smuggle...then someone said hey ..there is a shitload of hash leaving..lebanon..nepal...morrocco ...
hmmm?

Im partial to bud...I like hash..smoked some good hash..prefer bud..never smoked hash oil though..always wondered what it was like:cough::tokin::hookah:

I tried it once long ago and I still prefer bud.

I've never been crazy about hash oil. Way too messy. If you get a little drop on your clothes it never comes out. And those little glass vials it comes in shatter way too easy.

First smoked genuine opiated Thai Stick and Honey Oil in the mid 70's, and they were both great with a capital G. For those that have not tried Honey Oil or other derivatives, ya really need to find someone with a good dabbing rig & torch, and give it a try with either some oil, wax, or shatter. You will be blown away....errr, literally! Depending on what you dab, the rest of your day will be spent happily staring at a wall or looking for the remote that is in your hand....hahaha!:thumb:

I stuck a seed into a cup of my moms potting soil when I was 14. That was the beginning... haven't stopped since.

When I was 17 (in 1970) I worked for/with a fella who's name was Mendo Joe. Nice guy. He managed a half dozen guerilla grows in the Mendocino Forrest west of Corning, CA. After a couple of years of apprenticeship, I was given my own grow to manage. I had a little under 1000 plants to care for. I stayed with the grow for the three or four months until harvest. Worked my ASS off, and was very well paid.
I had an archery set up and would take a young doe once in a while for fresh meat (especially if I found that she had developed a taste for MJ).
He used to hike in with a 'mule train' at least once a week and bring food. He evidently knew the madam of a local massage parlor because he'd bring a couple of Asian girls with him sometimes. He'd make them work though, they didn't speak very good English and weighed all of a hundred pounds, but they'd pack in 60 lbs each. They'd bring a bottle of Tequila and we'd be up ALL night - pounding. LoL. Ah, those girls were a welcome sight after about two weeks without.

Still had to get up in the morning and work tho.

I did that for three seasons. Got raided the fourth one early and was able to escape (always had a well thought out escape plan). Took me four days of hiking, cold camping and going hungry - but, I never got caught.

Here I am, at 61 and I am one of THE major suppliers of clones in Northern California.
Mendo taught me well, about a lot of things. Practical things.
How to talk to a cop (don't)
How to camouflage.
How to drink Tequila.

Yea, those were the days.

Great thread, reading the posts brings back so many memories. My first high was from a nickle bag of Panama Red. We smoked two joints in a row because the guys turning me on said you dont get high your first time, well we were so f'ed up all we could do was look at each other and laugh. Hash under glass, either that old brown stuff or sometimes the good blond hash. Passing joints at a concert.

Auggie... Ya got me dude....love a good story! I'm 6 yrs. your junior bro, but know what .....the 70's. were an awefull lot of fun!My old man used to say..."it's only trouble,if ya get cought!" Great eh!! Lots of stories dude! Welcome aboard bro! A warning...you might become a H.B. snob if ya stick around too long eh!:blunt:

Yea, the 70's were fun - wish I could remember more about it ... hmmm.

The gorilla grows of the 70's were much different than today's. They were not run by Mexican drug lords or gangs. They were American owned and operated (maybe a biker gang or something, but AMERICAN made). We (the farmer/managers) took care of the land. We didn't pollute it, used chemicals properly, dug latrines, buried or packed OUT our garbage. When the season was over it was hard to tell we had been there.
I asked Joe once why he brought girls with him on the pack trips. He told me a story of showing up one time and finding the garden unattended. The farmer was no where to be found. He discovered later that day that the farmer had gotten the bright idea of hiking/hitchhiking in to the nearest town to 'have a cold beer'. Met a cute hippy girl and ended up spending the night with her.
Joe said he realized then that asking a 20 something to go without female companionship for three months was 'unnatural', so he used girls to pack in supplies, and entertain.
Yea, but almost getting busted scared the crap outta me. I hid for two days and didn't move more than a mile from the raid site. Watched helicopters shuttle weed out. They brought dogs in too, but lost my trail in a stream ... I got hungry, and thirsty, and didn't sleep much ... but did NOT do ten years at San Quinton either.
Back in those days a guy could do two years hard time for a pipe, or a roach clip. Learned how to make a roach clip out of a match. A pipe out of tin foil. Easy to ditch or burn up, hard to prove use.

Some things never change. Now that I am cloning, I routinely have 600 or more plants in my possession and the beef for that in California is still high.

Hey Auggie....Ahhhh, finally a chance to sit! That time you talked about there....how did ya eventually get out a there? Or were ya just stickin around to see what they were doin ? Scared shitless bro...whooo weee.They'de a heard my heart busting out of my chest dude! I remember one night ,me and three or four buddies ,back in 78 ,i think....we decided that ,after popping some purple mic...we'de tresspass,of course,duhh....Took our clothes off and streaked all around this huge outdoor pool in the moonlight.Puffed one or two,had a few laughs,then when we were back in our cars....leaving the place was two un-marked narc cars!! OH OH! Not good....but that's only one time...one night...get the idea.Gotta go get a Stella! Cheers Aug.

yea - old guys rule! just hitting 65 myself - you guys are a kick!

thehitman

Hitman...I just dig your handle bro! Damn straight we rule! One big problem though....by the time ya got most things figured out in this place....no body gives a rats ass ! Know what i'm sayin? Too late to use all that priceless info....someone will just lookit up on Google,on their smart phone .Oh well eh...i believe that back in the day....we lived our lives in the world. Today everyone lives thru social media.No more kids playing outside....quiet streets.Lots to say about this shit bro. I'm prolly the last person on earth to not have a cell phone!Hell,my 13 yr. old son has one. Anyhow,just thought i'de say hi !:high-five:

....how did ya eventually get out a there? Or were ya just stickin around to see what they were doin ? Scared shitless bro...whooo weee.They'de a heard my heart busting out of my chest dude!

Yea, it wasn't easy. I had a stash of food and water in several routes out of the area - but, I couldn't get to them. The way the cops had their staging and helicopter landing area set up - I couldn't get to any of them without taking too much of a chance of getting caught. They had two dogs there too - I hate police dogs. The cops that have dogs are real Gestapo types. Then, and even more so now.
They hit early in the morning, about a half hour after sunup. I used to sleep with my boots on, just because something like this could happen. I was up and just ate (thank gawd) when I heard the first 'wop, wop, wop' of chopper blades. Was gone at their first flyover, so wasn't spotted heading in a direction. I took the hardest way out, toughest terrain so, in their minds least likely.
I went up and over a ridge and into a deep gully, walked in a stream for about a mile. Heard the dogs behind me, but they lost me in the stream. Hunkered down by about noon and stayed quiet, watched the helicopter ferry out with my girls tied in a bundle under it most of that day. Didn't sleep. Overcast, damp, cold, no moon. A deer walked past me once in the dark and I almost wet myself .. LoL.
Next morning at first light I headed north, following a different stream. Clean water was a good reason to go with it. The only thing I had was a compass (no GPS back in the day, no cell phone, etc). I knew that civilization was west of me, that Highway 1 was my target. But I also knew that CHP and local law would be looking for a dirty, beat up, scratched up hippy kid crawling out of the forest and hitchhiking...
Remember, what I was doing was worth at least, AT LEAST five years in state pen.
Middle of the third day I turned west and walked till I was about to drop. Slept first good night that night. Was way past being hungry at that point, but starting to get weak and tire out easy.
Next day was up and moving northwest as terrain would allow.
Finally hit Hwy 20 just west of Willits. I covered a LOT of real estate. I was weak and tired.
Found a gas station and got cleaned up a little. Bought a packet of cinnamon rolls and some Twinkies. Ate one Twinkie and almost got sick. Asked someone at the gas station for a ride; made up a story about a motorcycle accident up the road (because that's the way I looked) and got a ride into Fort Bragg and called my boss.
He was surprised I was still alive. He sent a car, food and cold beer to my location within 30 minutes. Cops were looking for me, but didn't know who I was.

Yea, it was an adventure that I can tell my grand kids - they prolly wouldn't believe me. I'm just a dumb old man ya know.
LoL.

Back
Top Bottom