Would like to hear from old timers like myself - the 70s

Ya....i knew there was quite a story there Aug...ya got my attention bro! That sort of thing ,at least on that scale would be such a big loss for your boss ....and yet, he was still there for you... Well it was no fault of yours anyhow....so....it all ended good for you,not being behind bars for a few yrs.

Back in the seventies....oz's of bricked mexican for 20 bones....G.C. or Panama Red...50/60 a bag.What happened? Honey Oil...10 bucks a gm.. Too many people started to clue into it. Gotta fly Aug....stay well. :high-five:

Yea, Joe was a good guy. Forward recon in Viet Nam. Nicest guy you wanna meet, or your worst nightmare - up to you which guy you got. He taught me how to run and not get caught in the woods. How to set traps, hide supplies, etc.
He didn't let me run any more grows after that. He taught me how to clone, and I did that for him for years. Lots safer, better money too.
I use the skills he taught me to this date.

Yea, Joe was a good guy. Forward recon in Viet Nam. Nicest guy you wanna meet, or your worst nightmare - up to you which guy you got. He taught me how to run and not get caught in the woods. How to set traps, hide supplies, etc.
He didn't let me run any more grows after that. He taught me how to clone, and I did that for him for years. Lots safer, better money too.
I use the skills he taught me to this date.

Hey Aug...hows it goin eh! I would just love to sit and have a few pops together and tell stories.What a hoot that would be.i was to young for the Nam...but have done alot of reading over the yrs. about it...you could say i was obsessed with knowing all i could about what the men and women went thru over there! Fav. movie is "We Were Soldiers" Stuck with me for a long time. Actually researched all about it ,and obtained all the mil. records and transcripts on what took place.
Did Mend Joe learn some things from Charlie...as the song goes? or was it all learned in Cali?
Just wondering Aug....how come it takes you so damn long to get back to these posts ?Just curious man.Love to chat about old times...helps those good times "come back" ...if just for a short while.Cheers Auggie....i'm goin for a Stella...i'l have one for ya bro!! Cheers eh!

Hey Aug...hows it goin eh! I would just love to sit and have a few pops together and tell stories.What a hoot that would be.i was to young for the Nam...but have done alot of reading over the yrs. about it...you could say i was obsessed with knowing all i could about what the men and women went thru over there! Fav. movie is "We Were Soldiers" Stuck with me for a long time. Actually researched all about it ,and obtained all the mil. records and transcripts on what took place.
Did Mend Joe learn some things from Charlie...as the song goes? or was it all learned in Cali?
Just wondering Aug....how come it takes you so damn long to get back to these posts ?Just curious man.Love to chat about old times...helps those good times "come back" ...if just for a short while.Cheers Auggie....i'm goin for a Stella...i'l have one for ya bro!! Cheers eh!

Duggan:
Been busy. It's harvest season in Nor Cal. Helping a buddy harvest fifty outdoors Blue Dream girls, and bin trimming my ass off. Plus, trying to keep my mothers happy in preparation of cloning season. Not much time for socializing - this is when we make our years wages.
Joe was forward recon in Viet Nam during the worst times: Tet Offensive and such. He told me stories about being behind the lines gathering intel and just fucking with them for so long, that once he was reported as missing in action. Once they thought he had deserted. He was a kind of a "fuck you sir" kind of guy. I was never in service myself either - too young also, but much respect and props to those who did what he did (and those who are DOING it now). He was both thoughtfully gentle and dangerously violent - all in the same package. I saw him go native on some poor fuck once ... it was awesome and fearful.
I have been a long time lurker on these pages, but never thought anyone would be interested in what an old burned out hippy would have to say.
Off for a few hours sleep, then back to harvest ...
Cheers, Auggie

Duggan:
Been busy. It's harvest season in Nor Cal. Helping a buddy harvest fifty outdoors Blue Dream girls, and bin trimming my ass off. Plus, trying to keep my mothers happy in preparation of cloning season. Not much time for socializing - this is when we make our years wages.
Joe was forward recon in Viet Nam during the worst times: Tet Offensive and such. He told me stories about being behind the lines gathering intel and just fucking with them for so long, that once he was reported as missing in action. Once they thought he had deserted. He was a kind of a "fuck you sir" kind of guy. I was never in service myself either - too young also, but much respect and props to those who did what he did (and those who are DOING it now). He was both thoughtfully gentle and dangerously violent - all in the same package. I saw him go native on some poor fuck once ... it was awesome and fearful.
I have been a long time lurker on these pages, but never thought anyone would be interested in what an old burned out hippy would have to say.
Off for a few hours sleep, then back to harvest ...
Cheers, Auggie

Auggie, Good to hear from you again. I , for one, am, very interested in what you have to say! Is Mendo Joe around these days ?I mostly keep to myself these days...few close friends is all. very much enjoy my smallish,hobbie grow (just two big indoor plants). It's enough for me and those few friends. Got my boys right now ,so gotta fly.Later Auggie.:tokin:

Old hippies never die, we just puff away!!!!!

Auggie: Great story, bro. Reminds me of a time back in '86 or so when I just started high school. A buddy of mine had about 40 or 50 plants in the woods and one Friday night we went out there to drink cheap wine and hang out. Just our luck the cops raided the place and we took off into the woods in different directions. I was so drunk I could barely stand but I somehow got away. Spent about 4 hours crawling through THICK brush in total darkness... loaded drunk. No cell phones back then so we all had to wait till the next day to find out that we all made it out. When I finally got out of the woods some dude stopped to give me a ride and I'll never forget the look on his face when I got in the car and he got a good look at me... I must have looked like an escaped teenage lunatic by that point, drunk and covered in mud and leaves. To this day we still talk about that night. memories!

I totally remember the 20 - 30 dollar bag. Back then, getting stoned was a 'given', and we were more concerned over the amount. We measured the amount with the palm of our hand, which is where the "Five-fingered" ounce started. We were excited to find seeds in the bag, considered it a bonus. That was in 1974 in San Francisco.
A few years after that, moved to Philly, to attend college (UofPenn). Sister lived there most of her adult life, so asked her to for sources. She asked me how much I wanted. I said, "An ounce'll, do." She looked at me, surprised, and said, "You got that kind of money?" I told her I had about 50.00 to spend, and when she came over, she showed me what I got for that amount.
10 rolled joints, 1/2 the diameter of a cigarette.
Apparently, I had fallen into a Rip Van Winkle sleep, because it appeared that economics 101 had found its place in the world of weed. As a kid, I barely kept my eyes open while grandma talked about the "good ole days." But 5 years later, I, at the ripe ole age of 23, was sitting in a room of the 'Not that much younger' passing a bong around and waxing nostalgic about 5.00 Thai Sticks, while some guy is seriously selling them "5 for 100.00." It brought a smile to my face whenever someone remembered, "Wacky Weed."

So, from a five-fingered ounce, to pre-rolled joints, to having to decide between rent and 5 Thai Sticks, all one could do was grow your own. So I got my degree, took my scholarship to Santa Barbara, and grew my own, following the first and last rule of thumb, to never tell anyone. But that's another story altogether.

Auggie, Good to hear from you again. I , for one, am, very interested in what you have to say! Is Mendo Joe around these days ?I mostly keep to myself these days...few close friends is all. very much enjoy my smallish,hobbie grow (just two big indoor plants). It's enough for me and those few friends. Got my boys right now ,so gotta fly.Later Auggie.:tokin:

Yea, I pretty much keep to myself too. Most people younger than me think that I'm just some cranky old curmudgeon. I guess I am, as I have a tough time suffering the presence of fools. When I walk thru a field with cows in it; and step in something stinky I don't say "cowpie" or "crap". I call it what it is: bullshit.

Alas, Joe died young. He was only pushing 50 when he laid down one last time.

His lungs were shot. He says it was from the Agent Orange the USAF sprayed on him on a regular basis. He said, ten years after he was discharged, that he'd cough up some of that shit every once in a while. VA denied his disability till the day he died. We didn't treat our vets very well back then. It was an unpopular war - and 'the people' took it out on the wrong guy.

Just before he died, he gave me some beans that he brought back from Nam. He called it Saigon Skunk. This stuff stunk. I mean it really, really stunk. You could smell a patch for miles. They were large beans, and speckled. You could put your finger on a bud the size of your thumb and you could pick it up by it sticking to your thumb. Hard to keep it lit, it was so thick with resin. Made an outstanding hash. The plant would get over ten feet tall - I've seen them 15 feet tall. Needed a chain saw or hatchet to cut them down.

One of my fondest memories was one of the last times I saw Joe alive. We smoked a bowl of hash I made from Saigon Skunk. We were SO hammered. We listened to "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd when it first came out (on a vinyl record). We talked about his life a lot - he says he was haunted by the lives he took. He didn't look forward to his death. Said that "five minutes after I'm dead - I have a LOT of explaining to do ..." He was a hell of a guy - led quite a life. Didn't die well.

Every time I hear 'Dark Side of the Moon' I think of him. His wake and funeral were EPIC. I still miss the guy.

Auggie, Thanks so much for talkin about Joe. He was quite the guy. It sounds like you got to spend some good time with him before .
Wow, just 50 ,too. My old man went at 50 as well. Way too soon. I can imagine the stories and stuff you guys were a part of.
What ever happened to the rest of the beans? Saigon Skunk. Big ,bad Sativa!
Well,i'm bagged Aug....goin for zzz's. Nice to here from you again. Cheers.

... to having to decide between rent and 5 Thai Sticks, all one could do was grow your own....

Yea, Thai Stick ... I remember those. Kinda. LoL.

When I was in college a neighbor of mine was a commercial fisherman. He had a 22 ft Skip Jack all outfitted with downriggers for salmon. I would "crew' with him sometimes. Good money back then. Dangerous, hard ass work - but after three days fishing it was nothing to come home with a couple or three grand - cash. His son was about my age. During the off-Salmon season, sometimes we'd go out for Cod. We'd spend a day fishing and make a few hundred, and I'd stock up the freezer with the best fresh fish anywhere ... and it was fun, kinda.

Well, one day we decided to go out for a day of Cod, and went out to the Farallon Islands off the coast of central California. We'd be under the Golden Gate Bridge by sunup, and fishing by about 0800. We had been catching fish like crazy and the holds were half full by 1100. Seas were kinda rough; 12 ft waves with 10 ft cross swell under a 15 mph wind. A plane was buzzing around to our north ... back and forth. I wondered what the hell he was doing.

At about 1300 hrs we spotted a Coast Guard cutter. He came close enough to scope us out good, but not too close to get in our lines. We waved and smiled and stuff and they gave us three air horn blasts and went on. Our holds were full by 1500 and the wind was picking up and we figured we better get out asses into the bay before the 'potato patch' got gnarly and we'd have to spend the night at sea anchor. About half way in my buddy at the helm spotted a large black object floating ahead. We approached slowly and I was able to get a hand on it and it took both of us to get it in the boat. It was the shape of a bale of hay and it had been wrapped in heavy black plastic. Not garbage bag stuff, but real heavy duty plastic.

We cut it open (not easy) to find a couple of layers sealed with good duct tape. Finally got inside and found ... Thai Stick. Yes. We never weighed it - but I bet there was 40 kilos of very high quality, compressed Thai.

The plane was making smuggling drops and there was prolly a boat like ours out there picking them up, and the USCG was looking for it.

We made it all the way back to port with our 'find'. We called it 'sea weed'. LoL.
We were both very popular guys for quite a while.

If we'd of been caught by the Coast Guard, well, I'd just about be getting out of jail about now.
If we'd of been caught by the smugglers ... I'd of been dead for the last 40 years. (Lost at sea)

Neither one of us ever told ANYONE where we got it.
This is the first time I ever told that story in a public forum.
The statute of limitations is over for the smuggling beef - and the smugglers (if they're still alive) can have my wrinkled up old ass if they want it.

Sea Weed.
Ah, those really WERE the days.

How in the HELL did I live through my youth? Seriously.

... to having to decide between rent and 5 Thai Sticks, all one could do was grow your own....

Yea, Thai Stick ... I remember those. Kinda. LoL.

When I was in college a neighbor of mine was a commercial fisherman. He had a 22 ft Skip Jack all outfitted with downriggers for salmon. I would "crew' with him sometimes. Good money back then. Dangerous, hard ass work - but after three days fishing it was nothing to come home with a couple or three grand - cash. His son was about my age. During the off-Salmon season, sometimes we'd go out for Cod. We'd spend a day fishing and make a few hundred, and I'd stock up the freezer with the best fresh fish anywhere ... and it was fun, kinda.

Well, one day we decided to go out for a day of Cod, and went out to the Farallon Islands off the coast of central California. We'd be under the Golden Gate Bridge by sunup, and fishing by about 0800. We had been catching fish like crazy and the holds were half full by 1100. Seas were kinda rough; 12 ft waves with 10 ft cross swell under a 15 mph wind. A plane was buzzing around to our north ... back and forth. I wondered what the hell he was doing.

At about 1300 hrs we spotted a Coast Guard cutter. He came close enough to scope us out good, but not too close to get in our lines. We waved and smiled and stuff and they gave us three air horn blasts and went on. Our holds were full by 1500 and the wind was picking up and we figured we better get out asses into the bay before the 'potato patch' got gnarly and we'd have to spend the night at sea anchor. About half way in my buddy at the helm spotted a large black object floating ahead. We approached slowly and I was able to get a hand on it and it took both of us to get it in the boat. It was the shape of a bale of hay and it had been wrapped in heavy black plastic. Not garbage bag stuff, but real heavy duty plastic.

We cut it open (not easy) to find a couple of layers sealed with good duct tape. Finally got inside and found ... Thai Stick. Yes. We never weighed it - but I bet there was 40 kilos of very high quality, compressed Thai.

The plane was making smuggling drops and there was prolly a boat like ours out there picking them up, and the USCG was looking for it.

We made it all the way back to port with our 'find'. We called it 'sea weed'. LoL.
We were both very popular guys for quite a while.

If we'd of been caught by the Coast Guard, well, I'd just about be getting out of jail about now.
If we'd of been caught by the smugglers ... I'd of been dead for the last 40 years. (Lost at sea)

Neither one of us ever told ANYONE where we got it.
This is the first time I ever told that story in a public forum.
The statute of limitations is over for the smuggling beef - and the smugglers (if they're still alive) can have my wrinkled up old ass if they want it.

Sea Weed.
Ah, those really WERE the days.

How in the HELL did I live through my youth? Seriously.

Hey Auggie....What a hoot !! Another great story dude. I could almost smell all that nice thai weed while reading your story! I've always wondered about that stuff and what it would be like to just come apon a bale of goodies like that> You guys struck it big.You both must have bin shitting yourselves all the way back to shore!What a find ....and thanks for sharing ,yet another great story from the good (crazy) ol days Auggie. Did yous sell some of that or just hang on to it for you and all your buddies. I prolly would have been too scared to tell anyone about it! Cheers Aug.

Great story, Aug. I haven't tasted Thai since 1976. I'd drop $100 for 5 sticks in a heartbeat.

We found Thai stick in the late 70's washed up on a remote beach in Oregon. Also bought a a shoe box full of buds in the Trust Territories for $10 bucks. Sitting at a bar on one island, a large joint cruises down the bar. Was legal there. On one island as our ship docked, buds were thrown at us by the locals. Was a good time!

In the early seventies I was in the Navy and had been stationed in the orient before I was sent back to the states. A buddy of mine that remained stationed there came up with a plan where he would stuff bags of opiated Thai Stick in various service compartments and access panels on Navy jets that were headed back to the base I was stationed on. We did it several times and never got caught, but if I had been caught it would not had been pretty, but I was young and felt bullet proof. Oh to be young and dumb again! I have never had that kind of excellent stick again.

I envy you guys, that I wasn't even alive when Thai Stick and Colombian Gold was raining from the sky :) I'm extremely interested in Thai and Asian and South American sativas, but the only thing I'm afraid of is finishing time of most of them outdoor. Highland Thai strains can bloom till January, and Colombian stuff till end of November from what I read, and indoor they are almost always subpar. Yeah, good example how good weed is always linked to its natural habitat.

Well, I'll keep growing what I can to find out how far I can go :hookah:

Back
Top Bottom