Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

Re: Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures and Photos from the Garden - 2012

the only reason most people leave the bucket attached to the bag is for the space it provides inside the bag, giving the material enough room to move around in order to get all the hard to reach trichomes off the buds. if you remove bucket and hold bag by itself, usually we scrunch the bag together where we hold it and this is what diminishes the interior space. making it hard you you to stirr up the shake adequatley enough to remove all the trichomes from the bud. thats just my 2 cents though. either way works, it realy just all comes down to personal preference and anal retentiveness lol..
One thing I don't get about the dry ice method. If we're turning the bucket upside down and doing all of our shake there, why do we really need the bucket after we turn it over?

Last time I made it, after a cpl mins I took the bag off the bucket while still upside down and set the bucket down and did my shaky shake over my glass dining table. Seemed to work just fine.

I'm only doing this because I want +reps lol

My wife the baker came up with a EXCELLENT idea, we purchased this product and it works. has a 70 micron screen

Put some of the trim in the basket. Then, put the dry ice in. Then put in more trim. Let is sit for a minute or two and let er run

Amazon: Electrical Flour Sifter

Hell yesss Brother X!!:high-five: Another fine job, and a VERY successful grow to log...So...Are you going to keep up this "non-journal, or start another??...Or, God forbid, neither??...I've been behind, but as I was getting caught up I noticed your posting patterns...I can tell you're not feeling the greatest lately, so just wanted to let ya know I was thinking aboutcha, and sending healing vibes your way...Hope it passes soon, my friend...+ reps on the harvest, those are some beautiful buds!!:Namaste:

I want +REPS too lol

hook it up people =P

My wife the baker came up with a EXCELLENT idea, we purchased this product and it works. has a 70 micron screen

Put some of the trim in the basket. Then, put the dry ice in. Then put in more trim. Let is sit for a minute or two and let er run

Actually, that's NOT 70 micron - it's 70 mesh, which is equivalent to 210 micron, which is damn close to using a 220 micron bag! :welldone:

FYI...here's a mesh-to-micron conversion chart:

MESH TO MICRON CONVERSION CHART

Actually, that's NOT 70 micron - it's 70 mesh, which is equivalent to 210 micron, which is damn close to using a 220 micron bag! :welldone:

+rep on keeping information true! I was just about to write the same, but I saw yours. Thank you, brother for keeping misinformation out of the information superhighway. :rofl:

C'mon Mr K., you know I can only rep you so many times in a day....Jeez dude....

Well damn!
Thanks for straightening me out! and here I was listening to the wife. Looks like we will have to go get some micron filter mesh and remesh that thing. Works slick though

Well damn!
Thanks for straightening me out! and here I was listening to the wife. Looks like we will have to go get some micron filter mesh and remesh that thing. Works slick though

You don't need to do anything to it! Many people, including me, use a 220 bag for making dry ice hash. The 220 bag (or, 70 mesh filter on the sifter) will remove ALL of the plant material.

What you'll find is that, as you shake the material, the smaller micron (higher quality) kief will come off first and will be a nice golden-brown color. After 5 minutes or so, the color will start getting greener, which is the lower quality stuff starting to come off. So, IF you wanted to separate out what would normally get caught in a 160 micron bag, which is the lower quality kief a lot of people use for cooking, you can just turn the machine off when you see the color start to change, empty the higher quality keif, then continue agitating to get the lower quality stuff. No modifications needed! IMHO, that machine looks PERFECT for making dry ice hash while you're off doing something else! :goodjob:

AHHH X. you do this to me every time. Absolutely beautiful nugs man. :Namaste:

how ya been brotha

Very Nice Looking Yield!!! Excellent!!! :Namaste:

Show off!!! Hehe Good job. Nice pics. :tokin:

I like that Dead Head OG, its looking quite potent.

Very nice trim job too X. Well done.

Harvest looks good. Glad to hear the selective seeding worked for you.

Fantastic harvest bud. We would all like bigger yields and more potent pot but we can all agree that having your own supply is hands down the best part of all. Way to go and am for sure lookin forward to the next round!

XLR8, fantasic harvest, my friend! :high-five:
+REPS!!!

I can't wait for the smoke report, but I can make a good prediction on that Deadhead OG! :yummy:
:welldone:

Way to go on another great harvest Xlr8. :goodjob: +Reps to you brother

Nice harvest ...Look like some nice strains...great job on trim :passitleft: Cheers

Dude need some trimming those :yahoo:

If i take the first plane over i can make it in time !

Have fun on trimming my man !

x- congrats on another great run... that deadhead looks killer... its been awhile, hope all is well...

I just wanted to say, I've been busy and worn out when I'm not, but I really appreciate all the love and the reps a ton. You guys rock!! :thanks:

I'd like to respond to everyone individually, but I'm going to spend that time with a little update instead:

Here are some initial impressions of the 3 plants I harvested - I still am forming opinions and haven't spent much time with these yet, but thought I'd share my thoughts so far. Also, I haven't weighed it all, but I've weighed a few jars and have a good feel for what the weights will be now that they're jarred - so these are estimates:

Everything has been in jars now for a few days, and the smell/flavor has really started to get spectacular. The Deadhead smells like some deliciously freakish combo of baked goods and diesel fuel. It triggers some primal urge in me, no joke. I could sit there and sniff the jar all day long - I just love it. I crave the smell and taste so much, that I nearly salivate at the thought of it. I get a warm rush feeling when vaping it, and it's a pretty quick hitter. Seems to be a fairly "up" high which doesn't make me sleepy. Very much in line with what I'm looking for and what I was hoping for. Hella potent. Love it - gonna grow another next round, a clone of the same plant. Yield should be close to 5z. Really sexy buds, absolutely loaded in trichomes - I might have to enter one of these in NOTM.

The Jack the Ripper is almost as amazing, but much different as far as taste/smell. Smells and tastes like some kind of codeine cough syrup or cherry gummy worms or something, and it's also mesmerizing - again, I could just sit there all day sniffing these jars as well. These are two of the tastiest, yummiest smelling strains I've tried (Deadhead and Jack the Ripper). The taste/smell couldn't be more different between the two, so I enjoy the delicious diversity. This JTR is the biggest creeper I've ever had. I've had it take almost 15 minutes before really feeling anything, then... wham! Hits you just when you want to say, "I'm not getting high yet". I liken it to making edibles. I've already taken a few extra hits thinking I wasn't getting any effect, just to have it steamroll me 10-15 minutes later than I thought. Nice high - haven't sampled much of the "premium bud from this one yet though, so I could see myself really liking it. Yield will be around 3z on the JTR.

I don't like the smell of OG Kush much, but the taste is surprisingly different and good. Like a slightly citrus/lemon cleaning product, Pledge or Pinesol or something. Can't quite place it, but it's flavor is much better than the smell, and I enjoy it quite a bit. What the OG Kush has in spades though, is a spectacular high. This is really great weed - very similar to the Chocolope that I grew in terms of the high. Uplifting, makes me feel creative, active and energetic. I just vaped a bunch a little while ago, and I still feel warm, buzzy and "up". Best of all, it seems to lighten the nerve pain some too - again similar to the Chocolope. I'm thrilled with it. I have another OG Kush seed, and will have to give it another shot in the near future. For some reason, it wasn't happy in veg - and never really beefed up like I thought it would. About 2z - but very primo!

In the end, I'm ecstatic with all 3 strains. The Deadhead really stood out to me this round - loaded in trichomes, amazing bag appeal, flavor, smell, decent yield given the space it had, and a really nice high.

Next round will be Chocolope, Deadhead OG, and Super Lemon Haze. Clones are rooted and ready to put in the Flo N Gro - probably later this week.

I get mine at my local supermarket. Most keep it on hand in a chest up front, locked so minors cannot hurt themselves with it.

I also get dry ice at a local supermarket that has it in a chest up-front. The supermarket is part of a large chain, but not all their store locations sell dry ice, so you may want to call and ask first.

I did the same thing Bass did, too! :high-five:

I just shook the bags with the dry ice in the bag, but I do think it's good to start by letting the buds cool in the bucket first so the bags don't freeze from the ice then break when you shake it.

From my experience, the bucket is there so you can turn it back over and get the dry ice out of the mesh. Super cold will destroy that fine mesh if left there too long when clearing the surface between shakes. Plus it helps to turn it over after a while, and let the frozen condensation thaw and evaporate off the bag so as not to get ice covering the mesh and the bag. Also those tiny ice crystals fall off after a while and get into the keif which makes it hard to scrape up off the surface, and will make you let it dry out before pressing it into pucks.

the only reason most people leave the bucket attached to the bag is for the space it provides inside the bag, giving the material enough room to move around in order to get all the hard to reach trichomes off the buds. if you remove bucket and hold bag by itself, usually we scrunch the bag together where we hold it and this is what diminishes the interior space. making it hard you you to stirr up the shake adequatley enough to remove all the trichomes from the bud. thats just my 2 cents though. either way works, it realy just all comes down to personal preference and anal retentiveness lol..

You don't need to do anything to it! Many people, including me, use a 220 bag for making dry ice hash. The 220 bag (or, 70 mesh filter on the sifter) will remove ALL of the plant material.

What you'll find is that, as you shake the material, the smaller micron (higher quality) kief will come off first and will be a nice golden-brown color. After 5 minutes or so, the color will start getting greener, which is the lower quality stuff starting to come off. So, IF you wanted to separate out what would normally get caught in a 160 micron bag, which is the lower quality kief a lot of people use for cooking, you can just turn the machine off when you see the color start to change, empty the higher quality keif, then continue agitating to get the lower quality stuff. No modifications needed! IMHO, that machine looks PERFECT for making dry ice hash while you're off doing something else! :goodjob:

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on getting the stuff for doing the dry-ice extraction. I like Alaskan1's flour sifter method! Thanks guys for sharing your knowledge and experience for doing this -- I will definitely save the info for when I do decide to do this. :thumb:

Hey X my friend.

Sorry I haven't been around at all. I have had so much going on at home. Made some changes to my setup and hope they help. If you get a chance swing by my sativa grow journal. Have some odd shit going on.
Hope your feeling better now that you have your meds. Life can be a bitch without them.
Live well and feel better my friend!

Heya buddy! I've been mighty absent lately too. I'll stop by when I have a minute. Thank you so much for the well wishes. :)

Hell yesss Brother X!!:high-five: Another fine job, and a VERY successful grow to log...So...Are you going to keep up this "non-journal, or start another??...Or, God forbid, neither??...I've been behind, but as I was getting caught up I noticed your posting patterns...I can tell you're not feeling the greatest lately, so just wanted to let ya know I was thinking aboutcha, and sending healing vibes your way...Hope it passes soon, my friend...+ reps on the harvest, those are some beautiful buds!!:Namaste:

Hiya Quix!

I'll just keep this going for now. Even though I've been getting lazy and doing this more like a standard journal, I don't want to start anything new right now. But, I'll definitely keep this one going for now.

I'm doing okay - a little down. Got hit with the news that the dr wants to do more (major) surgery, and it was like a kick to the jewels. To say I sank a little mood-wise is an understatement. The last thing I want is another big surgery, not even a year after the last one. I've been in a funk over it bad. I don't know what bums me out more - the thought of more surgery, or the financial ramifications. It was also a surprise. I knew things weren't getting better, but I didn't think more surgery would be in play at this point. Sigh.

Thanks for thinking of me, the reps, and the kindness my friend. I'm perking up some - just needed a few days of feeling sorry for myself, lol. :)

WooHoo - seeds from my little breeding experiment.

These are all of them - I only attempted to pollinate one bud per plant, and it looks like that's exactly what happened. Only a few look doubtful, the rest look pretty good to me. I haven't counted them yet, but it looks like 30-40 of the OG Kush/Jack the Ripper and the Deadhead OG/Jack the Ripper crosses. Only about 10-12 of the JTR/JTR, which I'm not as interested in anyway. (I have to go back and look at all the names you guys thought up and properly name them, too). :)

Here's what I did again:

I collected pollen from a Jack the Ripper male, that I kept in a separate room, not connected by any ducting (I actually had it in a bathroom shower). There was no air movement in the room with the male, whatsoever. I put (2) T5's over the male, on 11 hour light cycle. He grew into a nice, fuzzy, big balled male in no time. At about 21 days, I very carefully collected pollen into a small glass bowl. In the flowering tent with the girls, I turned off all fans and ventilation. Using a "Q-tip", I painted pollen onto one bud on each female plant in bloom (Deadhead OG, Jack the Ripper, and OG Kush). The buds I chose were fairly small, second tier buds, and I wrapped a little chrome twisty tie around the branch near the bud so I could remember which bud was pollinated. I let the pollen "sit" on the bud for about 15 minutes. Then, I carefully sprayed/misted heavily the bud and nearby buds and floor underneath with water.

This was a bit of a shortcut method, in that, normally it might be recommended to spray the whole plant down heavily to prevent further pollination, and really douse the whole area with water as it kills the pollen. But, I was fairly confident that I kept the pollen contained to the single bud, so once it had a chance to become impregnated, I sprayed primarily just that bud and immediate area with a heavy mist, crossed my fingers, and hoped for the best. I'm happy to say, it seems to have worked. You could see in just a week or two, the difference in the seeded buds. By the way, crazy how many seeds from pollinating ONE SMALL BUD!!

I love the quantities, and so far this seems to have worked to plan. Now, hopefully they'll germinate when the time comes! Honestly, I'm really excited to grow out the Deadhead/JTR and OG/JTR crosses. Can't wait!

OG Kush/Jack the Ripper (OG Ripper?)
05_02_3.jpg

Jack the Ripper/Jack the Ripper seeds
05_02_2.jpg

Deadhead OG/Jack the Ripper (Deadhead Ripper?)
05_02_1.jpg

you got some beautiful seeds there X

High X:high-five:

Man you have been busy......If OG Kush is similar to Chocolop I'm going grow some. Chocolope is so up I get the giggles.

Great job on the seeds

Is there anything you can't do? Great SLOW Journal Buddy!:circle-of-love:

Back
Top Bottom