Xlr8's Quest For The Best - 2012

wow, hey thanks for referencing my thread on defoliation X! Totally unexpected. I was reading the paragraph, nodding and smiling to self, then taken back by the reference. :thanks::Namaste:

I love my HM pH-200 BUT....I calibrate it every time I use it. I have found that it is HIGHLY accurate but needs calibration too often. I have used so many different meters and have found that some hold calibration really well but the electrode will go bad after a few months. The jury is still out on the pH-200 because I have only had mine just over a year but unless the electrode goes out, I am happy.
What I really like is the +/- 0.02 accuracy for the cost. I have spent upwards of $500 on a couple of meters for +/- .01 accuracy and it just isn't worth it. Most meters in the price range as the pH-200 have accuracies of +/- 0.05 which is not enough for me... just my 2 cents.... If you know of a better one that is just as cost effective, let me know. Also, I only try and buy "pen" type meters...more versatile.

Ouch, that's some pretty pennies be blown. My meter is 1 yr old now. I calibrate it about once a month. Still workin and holds pretty good. A cheapo hanna for maybe $30 or so? I don't recall tbh.

lmao well i can hardly travel all the way up yours for a visit if it meant coming back to a dead farm ;)

Now that is a very good point my darling! :)

wow, hey thanks for referencing my thread on defoliation X! Totally unexpected. I was reading the paragraph, nodding and smiling to self, then taken back by the reference.

I'm glad he did Bassman, I'm going to be paying a few visits there myself :blushsmile:

Thank you for creating it!

:thanks:

Hey all!

Been trying to get out to a few other journals tonight, but I've got lots to update tomorrow (hint: snip snip, bend bend, and more...) and will respond to everyone then as well. Right now, I'm X-ceptionally tired and going to drool on my pillow for a bit... ;)

Sending some positive vibes to Seagem, THSea, and Shizzy, who've all been through a helluva lot lately.... :circle-of-love:

Hi X,

Nice continuation... I think it's good that you break a long journal up. Same for OMM. Exactly for the reasons you stated.... I for one hate to jump into the end of a long ongoing journal, it's like interupting a conversation or something...and at the same time, sooo much reading to catch up is just too time consuming sometimes...just can't do it. Anyway thanks... and I agree with the suggestion about starting the new one with a link to the old one. (sorry, forgot who mentioned this)

Wow...those girls are just exploding with flowers...I'm so excited to see this as I'm also using BPN and just flipped to flower cycle yesterday. I'm very interested in Corey's new products too...so I'll be watching closely.

I love the veg room too...wow those girls look like they need daily attention...so do mine, they seem to need a clip/trim, or bend every single day. It's those wonderful BPN goodies we're feeding. :)

btw, what ppm's are you feeding? both veg and flower? how many ml's of each? Do you follow the online nute schedule? or have you adjusted it to your girls?

About the split in the stem...I split my NLxBB right at the point of being topped, very early on and she seems to have developed just fine. I taped her when I did it but that didn't hold for long, she hardened up at the break point and has survived the mishap despite me. here's a photo from way back when it happened...I'll make a point to take another for tomorrow's journal update (lights are out, or I'd go take one for you now)
On defoliating...I'm new to growing, maybe that's why it was easy for me to give it a try...I don't have any long held beliefs on things when it comes to growing our favorite herb. I think everything you said about it being THE way to go for indoor grows in true, for all the reasons you gave. Very nicely explained.

I love your journaling style and the way you take extra care to explain things to us newbies. thanks again X for all your hard work. +reps to ya buddy.

And that PE...I'm gonna have to grow another soon...that one you have is making my mouth water. I loved the smell and the taste...but it doesn't taste anything like it smells so don't be surprised. Hope you enjoy it.

:peace:
Sq

Hey Sqwheels! :)

First of all, thank you so much for the props - I appreciate that a lot.

Also, I really appreciate your insight on the split. I've had it happen before and ignored it with no ill effects, but this is on my favorite plant, and on the biggest, nicest branch. Having said that, your picture is right on and looks almost exactly like my situation. I learned a while back to top higher up to avoid splits like this, but somehow I ended up with a split anyway (probably my aggressive LST training). I'd love to see what yours looks like now as you mentioned (if you get the time).

I run my vegging plants at about 1.0-1.2 EC, and my bloom plants are currently at about 1.7 to 1.8 EC (PPM's are different based on the brand of the meter, but EC is a universal number). If you measure in PPM's it's important to know the conversion factor first... See this chart if you aren't used to thinking in terms of EC:

PPM-EC-C6.jpg

As far as how this translates to what's recommended by Blue Planet, I am typically running my nutrients at about 75% of the recommended dosage on his website. For the blooming plants I'm using 6ml per gallon of micro, 9ml per gallon of grow, and 15ml per gallon of bloom. Of the Liquid Blue - I'm using 4ml per gallon at the moment, and will bump this to 5ml at the next reservoir change. These are Sativa dominant plants, so I don't like to push the PPM's too high, and yes I do tailor it specifically to the plants and what my gut tells me they are wanting. Honestly I can't remember off the top of my head the specific ml's I'm using on the vegging plants, and I'm not near my feed chart (I pulled the bloom numbers out of my head!). Let me know if you'd still like me to dig those up and I will.
:morenutes:

I'll post some more specifics, but I ended up culling the Pineapple Express for this round, sadly. :rip: It was just getting overwhelmed by the other plants, and I made the difficult, but I think correct, decision to give them a bit more elbow room. I have 2 separate phenos of the PE in my little veg space though, and will give them another shot the next round instead. While I'm bummed about not having the PE for this round, I'm really pleased with the fact that I think it was the right decision given how crowded it was. The tent and the rest of the plants are much better off as a result, so I'm focusing on the many positives. Can't wait though! :)

So nice to see you around more now that summer has wound down (I know you guys get really busy in the summer). Thanks again for the insight on the split and the rating! :high-five:

Geez, Brother! I thought I made it here pretty quick, all things considered, and you're at 7 pages in only two days! I guess I'll have to wait for someone in front to take a bio break, then I can steal their front-row seat! :)

Your girls look great! Somebody please throw X some +REPS for me and I'll hit you back, since I need to spread mine around first!

Great job, Bro! :bravo:

:thanks: a ton Mr. Krip! It's the thought that counts buddy, and I appreciate that a ton. :)

would love to, but im all out of reps for X too :rofl:

You guys rock, thanks Gig! :thumb:

Sorry...I tried too. Said I had to spread the love...so I rated this thread 5 stars.

:circle-of-love:
Sq

Thanks Sqwheels, I appreciate the rating a lot - I love that you thought of that, as I don't think I had any/many ratings on the thread yet.

:thanks:

Milwaukee SMS 122 comes at 113.47$ .
(Im not sure if I can post a link to a non sponsored site)

You need also either a peristaltic pump (which is expensive), or a submersible pump with a Y at the output and a valve , which adjust the flow (one edge goes to the res, the other one with the valve returns solution-ph down, back to bucket - simply reduces the flow...)

As xlr said said in a previous journal , Its just too much trouble unless it needs to be out of home for weeks ..

<<needs to be out of the home for weeks...hell i need to be able to make a real stealth grow that i only need to visit once a month if possible, lol.

Then, it will come in handy for you Gigabane, for sure !
It's very easy to set it up ! You also need to dilute ph down 50-50 with RO water !!

That's kinda what I meant by DIY - I've seen people do exactly what you are mentioning Billy, but even then it's pretty pricey. But for Gig's circumstance it might be a really great way to go. Thanks for mentioning that Billy, sounds like you know much more about doing something like that than I do. Nice job! It sure would be a nice upgrade if it can be set up reliably. :thumb:

I love my HM pH-200 BUT....I calibrate it every time I use it. I have found that it is HIGHLY accurate but needs calibration too often. I have used so many different meters and have found that some hold calibration really well but the electrode will go bad after a few months. The jury is still out on the pH-200 because I have only had mine just over a year but unless the electrode goes out, I am happy.
What I really like is the +/- 0.02 accuracy for the cost. I have spent upwards of $500 on a couple of meters for +/- .01 accuracy and it just isn't worth it. Most meters in the price range as the pH-200 have accuracies of +/- 0.05 which is not enough for me... just my 2 cents.... If you know of a better one that is just as cost effective, let me know. Also, I only try and buy "pen" type meters...more versatile.

That's exactly my initial impressions on the HM ph-200. Very accurate, very nice, needs constant calibration. If it held it's calibration better, it'd be almost perfect imo. That said, there's something to be said for the confidence one gets by frequently calibrating anyway, and I'm adjusting to it. Really caught me off guard at first though (how fast it loses calibration). Thanks for weighing in with your experience, good to know it's not just my meter. :thanks:

The Oaktons I've used seem to hold their calibration much better, but they just don't last much over a year with consistant use. The Oaktons also have a fatal flaw in the programming of the microprocessor which contributes to that. When you go to calibrate them, they "auto recognize" the buffer solution using an algorithm that rounds up or down based on the raw reading. Over time, that raw reading gets further away from the actual buffer value, and it doesn't know whether to round up or down when you dip it in 7.0 buffer, for example. So, it gives you an error message and you are no longer able to calibrate. There should be a manual over-ride or something... Sadly, for this reason I'll probably stay away from Oaktons from now on even though I really liked them otherwise.

I like the pen style meters, too. Thanks again for sharing your experience on the HM meter. :thumb:

wow, hey thanks for referencing my thread on defoliation X! Totally unexpected. I was reading the paragraph, nodding and smiling to self, then taken back by the reference. :thanks::Namaste:

Bassman, you did a great job on that thread, and it will help a lot of people who are unsure as to the process and whether they should give it a shot. Thanks for pulling that together and sharing it with everyone! :bravo:

Grow Update - 22 days bloom:

Big changes. As I alluded to in a previous post, I made the difficult decision to cull the Pineapple Express. It wasn't keeping up with the other plants, and things had gotten really crowded. I am really happy with the end result though, as it frees up some space for the other plants, and I have a couple of PE phenos in veg that I'll grow next round. I'm still really excited to grow it, but it can wait a little longer. Meanwhile, the Jack the Ripper plant that was also getting crowded has some space to spread out a little, and I just love how the reorganization worked out in general. :)

I did a major defoliation. I removed almost all fan leaves except the top levels and a few on the sides/bottom that weren't blocking anything. It's created a TON more light penetration and much better air-flow. It was a lot of work, but I believe it will pay dividends in the end.

Finally, I did some super-cropping to try and keep the canopy more even. I bent about 3-4 branches over, and will probably do a few more soon. The end result was that it's helped keep the canopy more even, and you'll see in a picture below they are already perking themselves back up toward the lights.

Here are some pics - these were taken right after lights off, about 36 hours after defoliating:
oct_9_03.jpg

oct_9_10.jpg

oct_9_09.jpg

Jack the Ripper in Coco Coir:
oct_9_01.jpg

Deadhead Ripper (Jack the Ripper x Deadhead OG)
oct_9_08.jpg

oct_9_07.jpg

OG Ripper (Jack the Ripper x OG Kush)
oct_9_06.jpg

Deadhead Ripper:
oct_9_05.jpg

oct_9_02.jpg

Notice the super-cropped branch in the center of the photo:
oct_9_04.jpg

:bong:

xlr8 said:
That's kinda what I meant by DIY - I've seen people do exactly what you are mentioning Billy, but even then it's pretty pricey. But for Gig's circumstance it might be a really great way to go. Thanks for mentioning that Billy, sounds like you know much more about doing something like that than I do. Nice job! It sure would be a nice upgrade if it can be set up reliably.

Thank you xlr8, that means a lot, when it comes from a "mentor" like you !!!

About ph/ppm meters :
You might wanna check this Bluelab Guardian too I hear nothing but good words for it !!! The replacement probe (ph) is also very cheap, if I remember correctly !
I saw the ppm "chart" you posted with comparisons and I was wondering about the rates of this bluelab too, as this is the one I ll use! lol
I'm thinking to use EC as well, as I see there are huge diffrences between meters !!!!!!

Thank you for this chart feeding !!!

Edit:
lol, just now realised you were talking about "pen" metters, this bluelab is not that, it has 3 probes ppm/ph/temp , were all go to the res and is the type of set and forget, it uses an alarm if it goes out of range .
Ppm/temp probe doesn't need calibration...
But I'm sure you re allready know that .... :)

Xlr8, I always love seeing your grows. Stunning plants, you really are someone who we newbies look up to!

I also wanted to thank you for the time you put in, the thought and care in your posts and the detail that will go to helping so many people.

You my dear are a very twinkly star.

:hug:

Thank you xlr8, that means a lot, when it comes from a "mentor" like you !!!

About ph/ppm meters :
You might wanna check this Bluelab Guardian too I hear nothing but good words for it !!! The replacement probe (ph) is also very cheap, if I remember correctly !
I saw the ppm "chart" you posted with comparisons and I was wondering about the rates of this bluelab too, as this is the one I ll use! lol
I'm thinking to use EC as well, as I see there are huge diffrences between meters !!!!!!

Thank you for this chart feeding !!!

Edit:
lol, just now realised you were talking about "pen" metters, this bluelab is not that, it has 3 probes ppm/ph/temp , were all go to the res and is the type of set and forget, it uses an alarm if it goes out of range .
Ppm/temp probe doesn't need calibration...
But I'm sure you re allready know that .... :)

Thanks Billy,

I appreciate the kind words. I've heard Bluelab makes great products and that sounds like a good one. If I try another meter, at this point it would be the Bluelab PH pen style. I waivered between that and the HM I ended up getting. Those Tri-meters are always intrigueing too, but the way my reservoir system works and with the multiple reservoirs I keep, the pen-style is best for me I think.

Thanks for the input! :high-five:

As far as what Bluelab uses for PPM's, it sounds like it depends on the product. This stuff gets annoyingly confusing, which is why I like to communicate in terms of EC. In short, these meters measure EC, and then try to estimate PPM's using a conversion such as .5, .64, or .7. Some brands use multiple conversion factors depending on which meter you buy, and some allow you to customize it - my Oakton TDS meter is default .7 (700ppm) but it can be customized by the user to any other conversion percent. I'm sure people's eyes are glazing over right now...

This is from Bluelabs site, FAQ - I tried to find out what conversion they use (looks like multiple). The bolded red text is my emphasis in relation to you wondering about what conversion they use. 500pppm and 700ppm scales is the same as ".5 or .7 conversion" - different way to say it:

What is EC, what is CF, what is ppm, what is TDS, what is mS/cm and uS/cm?

EC
stands for Electrical Conductivity. Nutrient ions have an electrical charge. EC is a measurement of all those ions that have an electrical charge. The more electrically charged ions in a solution the higher the EC reading.

CF
stands for Conductivity Factor. This is exactly the same as Electrical Conductivity (EC), but does not have a decimal point in the reading.

ppm
is parts per million. This is not a measure of electrical conductivity in a nutrient solution, therefore cannot be accurately measured by an EC meter. They are present on the Bluelab Truncheon as a conversion guide only and the scales of ppm they represent are noted. To convert from EC to ppm, simply multiply EC by the ppm scale required, e.g. 2.5EC x 500scale ppm = 1250ppm.
The two scales Bluelab use are; 700ppm and 500ppm scale. There are many ppm scales around, but these two are most common.

TDS
is Total Dissolved Solids. This is the 500ppm scale.

mS/cm2
- millisiemens per cm. 1 mS/cm = 10CF

uS/cm2
- microsiemens per cm

One millisiemen
= 1000 microsiemens

Back
Top Bottom