Xlr8's Quest For The Best - 2012

A1, do you think I need a diffrent schedule, If I use LEDs ?
Because, no much heat with those/ maybe plants need less frequent watering ?

I know you asked A1, but are you going to be using a Flo N Gro? The size of the net-pots and amount of medium are pretty important in answering this question, as more medium in larger netpots require less watering - all else being equal.

One of the best things you could do, in my opinion, is do a test run with your system first. Set it up without plants and run it under lights. Make observations about how moist your medium is by checking it periodically.

IF you are using a Flo N Gro, my advice would be to take the simple, safer route and water once after lights on, once the middle of the day, and once an hour or two before lights off. Assuming you are using LED's and the RH isn't especially dry, etc.
It's really hard to "over-water" with hydroton. What I'm saying about fewer floods is just me trying to encourage slightly faster root development by not giving them a constant drenching right at the beginning. I'm experimenting with things a little. And, within a week or so I'm ramping up to more frequent floods. I'm nervous about people misinterpreting this part as I'm not doing the fewer floods for very long - I'm pretty quickly getting to 3 a day in veg.

Also, I've done some experimenting with this similar to what I'm recommending you do so that I know what I can and can't get away with. Since systems, humidity, lighting and more all are a part of the equation, you'll be safer watering a bit more frequently if you are unsure (again assuming you are using hydroton). Perhaps start with the three waterings a day in veg, like I mentioned above, and then make adjustments/tweaks once you gain confidence in your system and situation.

That's my take, maybe A1 has something different to add. Hope you don't mind me weighing in on your question.

X

what is this?
ie flow and grow, ebb and flow, NFT etc?

flowandgrow.JPG

hurrah. caught up!
i understand now about previous thread. just an idea in case you ever have to do this again. start post one with a 'continued from here' link ;)

if i keep on with dwc ill probably get into ebb and flow or NFT myself. with the amount of indoor plants i plan on growing ineed to find some way to automate my water/feed systems, so i am enjoying this journal =)

Hi Gigabane -

Glad to have you aboard my friend. This style of hydroponics is really great because it is fairly easy to manage and won't instantly kill the plants with a power failure or system failure. It's very easy to manage once it's dialed in. If I need to be away for a couple of days, it can operate just fine with no interaction at all, which is really great for me - I hate feeling tethered to my plants, ya know? Hope you are having a great weekend!

X

Hi Gigabane -

Glad to have you aboard my friend. This style of hydroponics is really great because it is fairly easy to manage and won't instantly kill the plants with a power failure or system failure. It's very easy to manage once it's dialed in. If I need to be away for a couple of days, it can operate just fine with no interaction at all, which is really great for me - I hate feeling tethered to my plants, ya know? Hope you are having a great weekend!

X

I know exactly what you mean. i plan on growing in my house, but moving my entire family to a different part of the country...and would like to spend at least some time with them ;) lol

what is this?
ie flow and grow, ebb and flow, NFT etc?

flowandgrow.JPG

This is an old school, manual gravity based Ebb and Flow system (flood/drain). About the simplest form of hydroponics, other than drain to waste hempies perhaps... :) Add a pump, a couple of flood fittings to the tray, and a reservoir underneath instead of the bucket, and you have a system that requires very little user intervention aside from PH'ing the nutrients, and exchanging them for fresh nutrients once a week.

The basic underlying theory of this is a simplified form of the systems I use (Flo N Gro or my DIY system for my vegging plants). Basically, the plants are fed by periodic floods, drenching the medium/roots with oxygenated nutrients. In the diagram above, most of the oxygen is provided during the drain process - as the nutrients drain to the bucket, it pulls oxygen down into the medium and rootzone.

What a neat little diagram/system - this would be a cool way to tiptoe into hydroponics on a fairly light budget!

Grow update Oct 7 - Day 20 of bloom phase

Well, we're approaching day 21 of the bloom phase for the plants in the Flo N Gro. Flower development is progressing nicely, and they are still stretching like mad. I need to do some more training/bending, and I have begun defoliating some last night (I have a lot more to do!). The growth rate has remained insane, which is both exciting and a bit stressful. The plants look super healthy and have great color - they're loving the set-up at the moment.

Defoliating for higher yields indoors: I like to do a larger round of defoliation at the 21 and 45 day marks in order to get more light to the lower bud-sites. While there is some debate on defoliating, I've found it to be a key to better yields with indoor gardening. I wouldn't do this with auto-flowers, or outdoor plants, personally. I wait until the budsite has sufficient leaf development before removing a fan leaf - they are able to support themselves at this point. Leaves pulled pre-maturely can result in stunting of the budsite, but once they have leaves of their own, the fan leaf can be yanked. Don't do this with unhealthy plants - proper ongoing health is a pre-requisite for this.

For those more interested in defoliating for higher yields indoors, check out this great link by Bassman59:
Increasing yield with defoliation indoors - What's it mean? How to do it?

OG Ripper split: The OG Ripper has a sizeable split at her base where she was topped very early on. Surprisingly, she doesn't seem to have any ill effects from it, but it looks scary and stresses me out a bit. Anybody have any good tips for how to handle this - do I need to seal it somehow? It appears that maybe it's been split for a while and I didn't notice it right away... I had a split like this once before, and I ignored it with no ill effects - but, it was a smaller branch where this one is right at the base of the largest branch point.

PH meter calibration issue: I had an issue that I hope doesn't bite me. Recently I was forced into getting a new PH meter, and bought a HM PH-200. I want to like the meter a lot, but it doesn't seem to hold it's calibration as well as the Oakton's I've primarily used in the past. I've traditionally calibrated my PH meters once a week, but I'm finding this one is losing it's calibration much more frequently. I was shocked to find that within about 5 days, what I though was "5.8" was actually "5.2" and, as a result, I'd let my mix get a bit more acidic than I'd like - though I was completely unaware of this until I calibrated it. I hope there are no ill-effects as a result. Rest assured, I'll be calibrating it daily for a bit until I can be certain it's not getting out of whack too quickly.

Corey, didn't I see you have one of these meters, too? How frequently are you needing to calibrate it - have you had this issue?

Veg space/ DIY Veg system: I thought I'd throw in a couple new pics of the Veg space momma plants - this little DIY system of mine is really working great, but the plants need constant trimming due to the rapid growth. For those new to this journal, I switched to hydro moms and built my own little DIY system for my small veg space. Hand watering the moms in coco coir was becoming a real chore for me...

The plant sites in this system operate as DWC primarily, but they get periodic floods too. The floods also help recirculate the nutrients with a larger remote reservoir, keeping things fresh. More details on the system can be found in my previous journal for those interested - or feel free to ask any questions. Heres' a link to more specifics for those who missed it in the last journal:

Xlr8's Hydroponic Adventures & Photos From The Garden - 2012

These need thinning daily, and sometimes I fall behind!
oc_6_1.jpg

Root zone
oc_6_2.jpg

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

:bong:

yeah im thinking this is the way i want to go.
if it had 2 'buckets' top one releases its payload, which fills the trough faster than it can drain away. it drains into the bottom bucket which pumps it back to the top one, the top one remains off until the volume reaches a certain level (mechanicaly i would use weight as a trigger, electronically i would use a wetness sensor or something.)

you could get away with a pretty puny pump and if goin mechanical you could make the water release just using scrap lying around to achieve it.

i would love to have a system like this that only needs me once a week. i could spend the week with the family and come home to work at weekends, lol. missus doesnt need to know i could do all my work in an hour or two...want some time to play =D

diagram came from a hydro PDF from the phostrogen web site

I know you asked A1, but are you going to be using a Flo N Gro? The size of the net-pots and amount of medium are pretty important in answering this question, as more medium in larger netpots require less watering - all else being equal.

One of the best things you could do, in my opinion, is do a test run with your system first. Set it up without plants and run it under lights. Make observations about how moist your medium is by checking it periodically.

IF you are using a Flo N Gro, my advice would be to take the simple, safer route and water once after lights on, once the middle of the day, and once an hour or two before lights off. Assuming you are using LED's and the RH isn't especially dry, etc.
It's really hard to "over-water" with hydroton. What I'm saying about fewer floods is just me trying to encourage slightly faster root development by not giving them a constant drenching right at the beginning. I'm experimenting with things a little. And, within a week or so I'm ramping up to more frequent floods. I'm nervous about people misinterpreting this part as I'm not doing the fewer floods for very long - I'm pretty quickly getting to 3 a day in veg.

Also, I've done some experimenting with this similar to what I'm recommending you do so that I know what I can and can't get away with. Since systems, humidity, lighting and more all are a part of the equation, you'll be safer watering a bit more frequently if you are unsure (again assuming you are using hydroton). Perhaps start with the three waterings a day in veg, like I mentioned above, and then make adjustments/tweaks once you gain confidence in your system and situation.

That's my take, maybe A1 has something different to add. Hope you don't mind me weighing in on your question.

X

Of course I don't mind x, u kidding ? Hahaha

Yes, my set up will be similar to yours my friend , flo n gro (only 9 pots at first try) with hydroton as medium, under 3 DS 300 (I only have 2 for now/I'm gonna order one more, after flo n gro's purchase) !!!

And yes again, that's my plan x, to run the whole system for a week without plants, to check every single parameter. Humidity, temperature, how flo n gro works, how my climate controler works, etc, etc...

Is it really hard to overwater plants, with hydroton as medium ? Right !!!!
This is another good info , I DIDN'T know ... You see at every single post I learn few things , that might seem not important to experience growers, but they are difinitaly important to me !! Even the very single ones ;)

So, the first thing we GOT to do, is to establish a good root system ! Then we can go , little bit higher with watering.. (thanks to hydroton)
Excellent !!!!
But I think you said it all , in a just little phrase: gain confidence with my system !!!!
That's the key, man !! This is what I really need !!!!!!!

Hell, I can't wait to start...... lol

Thank you very much (as always) xlr8 !!!!
Thank you...

Edit: I forgot to say, your plants looks just sooo great x, the veg system does fantastic job, I didn't have a single doubt tho , not even for a moment :D
Well done man !!

Edit 2:
The dwc/flood veg system x, does not have any important ph changes ?
You check (and ph down) every couple of days, or something , m I right ?

Few years back I used Waterfarms, which trickle hydro mix constantly from the top. With hydroton, over-watering is impossible. Coco is nearly the same, as long as drainage is not blocked. Root growth is not inhibited by constant saturation, so long as some O2 is allowed to reach the water. O2 is not a nutrient, but is a killer of anaerobic bacteria which is the root rotter to avoid. A little O2 does the job, more doesn't help, none preludes massive death.

Too many growers fail to let go of the soil paradigm, where saturated dirt can't circulate air. Growing hydro is like painting by the numbers: even orange-thumbed growers like me can fool stoners. Yes, I use a lot of tumeric in my curry :)

Propa Gator said:
Root growth is not inhibited by constant saturation, so long as some O2 is allowed to reach the water. O2 is not a nutrient, but is a killer of anaerobic bacteria which is the root rotter to avoid

This is another nice info !! Thanx Propa !!!
Is a killer for bacteria when light (on roots), is actually a food ?!?!
Hmm
Long live the airstones .... :thumb:

Ms. Fox?!?! Holy cow, it's been years! I couldn't believe it when I first saw your post - when did you come back around? I've missed you being here. I thought I was in an old journal or something, haha. Love that you are back!

Oh, and :thanks:!

For those who dont know, Ms. Fox was an early mentor/inspiration to me here, and one of the first people I met after I joined 420mag and started learning to grow. She was a big part of the spirit that still exists here, that thing that makes this place special. Not to mention, she's truly a superfox, haha! ;)

You really brought a smile to my face - its fun seeing peeps from back in the day. I was much shyer back then, and lurked more, but you helped me out with some things for sure. :)

Are you still growing steadily? I sincerely hope you stick around - thanks for subbing, and the props!

Awww that is so very sweet. Thank you! I'm glad to have to come back to see some familiar faces! I'm just hanging out, helping where I can. ;-) Thank you again.

Yeah, I'm loving the color of your girls. They look great. The roots are very healthy. As far as defoliating, I don't see why you shouldn't as long as you don't go overboard. A lot of times I don't recommend it, because some don't know when to stop, and the plants end up looking like toothpicks. ;-) I'm not to sure about the spilt. Does it appear to be hindering the growth of the plant? Some of those PH meters are very finicky. Sounds like you have one on your hands. They are almost more of a pain than what they're worth.

Few years back I used Waterfarms, which trickle hydro mix constantly from the top. With hydroton, over-watering is impossible. Coco is nearly the same, as long as drainage is not blocked. Root growth is not inhibited by constant saturation, so long as some O2 is allowed to reach the water. O2 is not a nutrient, but is a killer of anaerobic bacteria which is the root rotter to avoid. A little O2 does the job, more doesn't help, none preludes massive death.

Too many growers fail to let go of the soil paradigm, where saturated dirt can't circulate air. Growing hydro is like painting by the numbers: even orange-thumbed growers like me can fool stoners. Yes, I use a lot of tumeric in my curry :)

Thanks for your valuable insight Gator -

I'm not opposed to re-thinking my "less frequent waterings" in seedling/early veg stage, but more frequent waterings have certainly proved unnecessary in my case. I'm talking about very small, young plants in large 4 gallon netpots here, but your point about more frequent waterings not affecting root growth is knowledge that will be taken to heart.

The less frequent waterings in seedling stage is something new for me, and the result of some experimentation that seemed to indicate a better root start for seedlings with fewer waterings at the very beginning. There are certainly other reasons that may be the case, however (nutrient concentrations, strains, yada yada). The bottom line is that your medium needs to remain moist/damp and flood frequencies should accomodate that need. Aside from the very beginning (little seedlings) I flood 3 times daily during most of veg phase, and that seems to be plenty. Bloom? Every 3-4 hours they get flooded.

Back
Top Bottom