1st Grow in 30 yrs 12/12 HPS from Seed

Well I have tried a few methods, and only learned on the 12/12 when I got here. The rotation just seems to work well for me, and fit my growing habits. It also stops me from growing too much at once and being tempted to sell it to the neighbor...

I have a scrog screen ready to go, before I found out I was moving, I was gonna try that next, and compare the two grow types.

I completely agree that you just have to get your hands dirty. I think it's not so much that as learning to read the plants as best you can. Then no matter what medium you use to grow, they can tell you what you are doing to them.

If it was up to me, I would use none of these grow types actually.

I would have about 12 spots in my house, each with lowering hps/MH bulbs on a retractible ceiling cord and a contemporary reflector, each plant in her own 7 1/2 gallon pot. Of course I would have to figure out how to time them to flower, but I would figure that out. I think I would just flower, cut a few and reveg, who knows.

That way I could enjoy the beauty and aroma of my Cannabis anytime I was inside the house, not just the grow room :)

what kind of hydro system you running berryd? Coco is considered a hydro application and can be used in a number of different ways. The Canna nutrient line contains natural chelates, humic acids, fulvic acids and the medium is loaded with benefical fungi that keep the plant at top speed. I've grown other system n soil and this medium by far blows all of them away and Im sure it will taste better than my dwc grows did....have a good one....:smokin:

Fatjoe-just my reply to this statement you said to me...I was probably baked, if it didnt make any sense. I guess my question is how do you use coco for DWC?

update:

3/26/08 (day 34 on count)
The first female out of the 4 seedlings is in trouble big time, she is loose in the dirt and is not rooting at all, I moistened the dirt and built it up around her stem again, we’ll see what happens!! Plants in the18 gallon container keep growing taller and tons of pre-flower production.

3/27/08 (day 35 on count)
All 4 seedlings are in shock, they are going into their adjustment time.
Plants in the18 gallon container keep growing taller and tons of pre-flower production. The soil meter read a 3 so I fed/watered them.

3/28/08 (day 36 on count)
Damn, the first female out if the 4 seedlings hermied on me, she busted out will multiple balls today, now down to 3 seedlings. Another one confirmed herself today as being female. Plants in the18 gallon container keep growing taller and tons of pre-flower production. I will measure tomorrow. I have a total of 8 plants now from a start of 19 seeds. Changed the direction of the light so that SK#1, SK#2, and UNK 03 gets most of the light for today, I hope this will get them growing faster because UNK 04 is getting crazy in height and UNK 09 is only a couple inches behind.

3/29/08 (day 37 on count)
SK#1 is still 1ft 6”, SK#2 is 2ft 2”, UNK 03 is 2ft 2”, UNK 04 2ft 6”, and UNK 09 is 2ft 4”. The stretch period is going on now, and I would like to see SK#1 get bigger but she seems content; she did some flowering while the light was more directly on her but no growth in height. Rearranged the room so that air flow goes more over the 3 seedlings, also moved the light back.

3/30/08 (day 38 on count)
SK#1 is 1ft 7”, SK#2 is 2ft 3”, UNK 03 is 2ft 3”, UNK 04 2ft 7”, and UNK 09 is 2ft 5”, they all grew an 1”, UNK 03 and UNK 04 are starting to work on cola production now, moisture meter read a 7. The 3 seedlings are adjusting to the new soil and starting to come around, still at 1 confirmed female out of the 3, moisture meter read a 9.

3/31/08 (day 39 on count)
SK#1 is 1ft 8”, SK#2 is 2ft 4”, UNK 03 is 2ft 4”, UNK 04 2ft 8”, and UNK 09 is 2ft 6”, they all grew an 1”, UNK 04 decided to do a little to much fan leaf stretching and got one of her leafs singed. Moisture meter gave a reading of 3-5; I will wait till tomorrow to water. Out of the 3 seedlings still just 1 confirmed female, moisture meter gave a reading of 7. I also hit the low end of my guess-tament of 6 female plants.

4/1/08 (day 40 on count)
This morning SK#2 was showing Zinc Deficiency Flushed the whole18 gallon container with a gallon and a ½ of clear water, an hour and ½ later she is looking better already. The 3 seedlings are showing signs of needing fed bottom 2 sets of leaves are yellow, gave all 3 a full strength feeding and then a foliar spray of water over all plants.

4/2/08 (day 41 on count)
SK#2 cleared up; she is getting much better already, still in the stretch period, looking good so far.

4/6/08 (day 45 on count)
SK#1 is 2ft 6”, SK#2 is 2ft 8”, UNK 03 is 2ft 10”, UNK 04 2ft 11”, and UNK 09 is 2ft 9”, cola production going strong. Out of the 3 seedlings still just 1 confirmed female.

4/7/08 (day 46 on count)
They basically stopped growing in height now and they are working on cola production. Out of the 3 seedlings still just 1 confirmed female.

pics when approved

Pix update:

What a pretty lady UNK 04 turned out to be :cheesygrinsmiley:

pretty_lady_4-08.jpg

A side growth cola:

bud_4-08.jpg

Random shot:

random_4-08.jpg

really looking great there old school i bet you happy to be seeing these beautiful plants growing again after 30 yrs
+rep for the return and the lessons learned!
:peace:

Brother Old Skool, dude you rock. I can only hope to have something as nice as your ladies. Still waiting to see if any ladies will show. As of yesterday nothing, but what the hell, ladies take a little longer that males. Thinking along those lines the rest should all be ladies. Only in my wildest wet dreams. Great grow going on.:adore:

Dude, you got some nice genetics in that one. Fantastic job. +rep

As a matter of fact, if you have that first shot larger, I would love to see it. That plant has great form.

Thanks Boss :blushsmile:
This is as close as I can get for size limitations of the forum:

pretty_lady2.jpg

Joe, Boss, Be Irie, shaggie, berry, Bare and Billy,

Thank you for your kind words and the +reps gentlemen :bigblush:

Knocking the dust off of some of those 30 year old memories wasn't easy to say the least, but as Be Irie said; it is like riding a bike!!!! As soon as I started the grow my mind kicked backwards and when a issue presented itself; for the most part I just automatically started correcting the issue without thinking about it.

This grow has been a fantastic experience for me; and as shaggie said: some lessons learned! ;)

Update:

4/8/08 (day 47 on count)
Out of the 3 seedlings the other 2 finally showed they were males! So, the plant count is now officially at 6. (I was hoping for at least 1 more). Moisture meter gave a reading of 3 gave them a big drink of plain water.

4/11/08 (day 50 on count)
I got a room full of flowering plants working on their cola’s Moisture meter gave a reading of 3 again, hmmmm drinking a lot of water these days; another big drink of plain water. Also mixed up a batch of food that is different this time, no GROW BIG, just Tiger bloom and big bloom and what was left in the food container from the last time for bat guano, I will feed them the next time they are dry.

4/13/08 (day 52 on count)
Moisture meter gave a reading of 1 gave them plain water then gave them the new batch of food, also gave a foliar spray of water over all plants.

4/14/08 (day 53 on count)
They are showing nute burn on the tips of their leaves, flushed them with plain water and will extend the feeding schedule another week to 3 weeks instead of 2, unless they show me signs otherwise. SK#1 is 2ft, SK#2 is 3ft 1”, UNK 03 is 3ft 1”, UNK 04 3ft 2”, and UNK 09 is 3ft, overall average is 34.4”. The area at the top of plants hit 86° F so I raised the light again and increased fan speed.

UNK_04_right.jpg

UNK_04_center.jpg

UNK_04_top.jpg

bud_shots.jpg

bud_shot-2.jpg

bud_shot-3.jpg

bud_shot-4.jpg

bud_shot-5.jpg

bud_shot-6.jpg

flower14.jpg

side_shot.jpg

Lookin pretty good man, looks like they stretched a little bit while in flowering, how big is the light and how close is it to your plants?

Hiya berry,

I bought a 400W Horticultural HPS bulb that puts out 55,000 lumen's and "also provides 30% more "blue" spectrum". The bulb has always been 16" or less (depending how hot it got) from the top of the plants, the light was so close that the one plant scorched her leaves not once but twice. :thedoubletake:

The stretch period happened fast, pretty quick just like on Atmosphere's Grow, Atmosphere's 5th post down, his stretched 20" in 11 days with a 600W HPS, and look about the same as mine (farther down the link page), my stretch period was about 15 days probably because of using a 400W instead of a 600W BUT, I noticed when UNK 04 (she shot up early) did this she is now filling in all of the gap areas with cola's the others are just catching up now.

See pix:

bud_shots.jpg

Brother that is one fine looking grow.:clap: It makes my mouth water at how sweet they will taste when done.:drool:

Sorry to hear the last hold out was a male.:yikes:

I'm a few weeks behind ya and smiling that mine may look like yours.:cheesygrinsmiley: I got lucky and had 7 out of 12 go female on me.:grinjoint: I just hope to look as good as yours in a few more weeks. Your work has paid off.:phew:

Back
Top Bottom