1st Grow In Coco: 70% With 30% Perlite

I appreciate the feedback. I guess you have to take it all in & adjust to what seems to be working. Seems to be lots of ways to make these plants work... I have gotten - pots too big - pots too small - water everyday - don't water everyday - let the plant tell you what it wants - cocoa good - cocoa bad - auto good - auto bad. I'm just thrilled that I put a seed in a pot and it fucking grew!
Cool
Coco(nut fibre) is an excellent grow medium
Cocoa is a milky bedtime drink
Just sayin'

I appreciate the feedback. I guess you have to take it all in & adjust to what seems to be working. Seems to be lots of ways to make these plants work... I have gotten - pots too big - pots too small - water everyday - don't water everyday - let the plant tell you what it wants - cocoa good - cocoa bad - auto good - auto bad. I'm just thrilled that I put a seed in a pot and it fucking grew!
lol... I get it. I had to rebuy most of my original equipment; Fans, exhaust fan, Grow light, Fertilizers and the list goes on. Quite the learning curve. Coco is good if you have auto irrigation. It's true you can't over water it like soil. Coco is just a blank canvas. It is what you make it. People grow in clay rocks.. lol . Good soil comes with all kinds of benefits. It's kinda plug and play. Almost too easy. I'm on my third grow with third choice in medium. I'm using a mix of soil and coco this time. I'm hoping it's the best of both worlds. I loved coco because the root development was insane. Not a medium for amateurs. It has to be PH-ed and fed every watering or at least every other watering. A very touchy medium to grow in.

I was constantly changing PH and adjusting ferts. OMG!!! you'll see.
With soil you just need to water for first 4-8 weeks before you have to use any ferts. Soil also buffers the PH. You don't have to PH soil, but why not if you have a PH pen and are trying to get things perfect, but you don't have to.

You will (have to get things perfect) in Coco and you'd better have a good pen because accuracy will count in coco. If you do everything right in coco you will outperform soil. I did, but plants never really looked too healthy... haha. I have watched so many coco grows only to see it go sideways by experienced coco growers.

You don't even have to dechlorinate in soil but you should in coco. I use vitamin C ( ascorbic Acid ). Soil buffers chlorine or chloramine. It doesn't get further than 2 inches in on soil.

Another thing I learned was not to sweat the small shit. It's a weed. It will grow. It doesn't have to look perfect but what you see and being able to read what it wants will be more productive. I've seen ugly plants produce nice yields.. my last grow is perfect example. I've seen beautiful plants with small low yield buds.

lol... I get it. I had to rebuy most of my original equipment; Fans, exhaust fan, Grow light, Fertilizers and the list goes on. Quite the learning curve. Coco is good if you have auto irrigation. It's true you can't over water it like soil. Coco is just a blank canvas. It is what you make it. People grow in clay rocks.. lol . Good soil comes with all kinds of benefits. It's kinda plug and play. Almost too easy. I'm on my third grow with third choice in medium. I'm using a mix of soil and coco this time. I'm hoping it's the best of both worlds. I loved coco because the root development was insane. Not a medium for amateurs. It has to be PH-ed and fed every watering or at least every other watering. A very touchy medium to grow in.

With soil you just need to water for first 4-8 weeks before you have to use any ferts. Soil also buffers the PH. You don't have to PH soil, but why not if you have a PH pen and are trying to get things perfect, but you don't have to.

You will (have to get things perfect) in Coco and you'd better have a good pen because accuracy will count in coco. If you do everything right in coco you will outperform soil. I did, but plants never really looked too healthy... haha. I have watched so many coco grows only to see it go sideways by experienced coco growers.

You don't even have to dechlorinate in soil but you should in coco. I use vitamin C ( ascorbic Acid ). Soil buffers chlorine or chloramine. It doesn't get further than 2 inches in on soil.

Another thing I learned was not to sweat the small shit. It's a weed. It will grow. It doesn't have to look perfect but what you see and being able to read what it wants will be more productive. I've seen ugly plants produce nice yields.. my last grow is perfect example. I've seen beautiful plants with small low yield buds.
The whole process is kind of a mystery as to what will I have at the end? Patience is the hardest part. I'm using hard well water and the ladies seem to like it fine so far, if I don't chop all the leaves off 1st ...

The whole process is kind of a mystery as to what will I have at the end? Patience is the hardest part. I'm using hard well water and the ladies seem to like it fine so far, if I don't chop all the leaves off 1st ...
As the plant grows it will have different needs and uptake nutes better at different PH. You can lock a plant out if ph isn't right. Maybe your well water is perfect. ok... I swear I will take a seat and shut up.

As the plant grows it will have different needs and uptake nutes better at different PH. You can lock a plant out if ph isn't right. Maybe your well water is perfect. ok... I swear I will take a seat and shut up.
The well water is around 6.8 - 7.0 out of the tap and I have been lowering ph to 5.8ish...

The well water is around 6.8 - 7.0 out of the tap and I have been lowering ph to 5.8ish...
I also started them between 5.8-6. Then went to 6-6.2. ... plants went sideways and I thing I had a lockout and started to Vary the ph for 6-6.8. that seemed to work. I alway checked my runoff and managed to keep it below 6.7. A soil ph pen is really needed to be accurate on soil ph but I just didn't want to spend another dollar on equipment.

I also started them between 5.8-6. Then went to 6-6.2. ... plants went sideways and I thing I had a lockout and started to Vary the ph for 6-6.8. that seemed to work. I alway checked my runoff and managed to keep it below 6.7. A soil ph pen is really needed to be accurate on soil ph but I just didn't want to spend another dollar on equipment.
I have to stop myself from buying every gardening knick knack I see. I'm supposed to be saving money by growing. But I have to buy all the cool shit first!

I have to stop myself from buying every gardening knick knack I see. I'm supposed to be saving money by growing. But I have to buy all the cool shit first!
Hahaha.... I don't even want to add up money spent on grow. I got into it originally because of the cost to get decent bud and not really knowing what kind of chemicals might be on it. Organic pot was just too expensive to even consider. Weed from dispensary doesn't seem so expensive anymore.. lol ... I think I got most of the overhead paid for and credit card looks much better now that the big ticket items are paid for. My friends really come out winners. Giving is a gift in itself tho. My first grows have been amazing and surprising because I just didn't think I could grow quality; At least not first grow.

I'm also looking to see how your light performs. It's similar to my original light. I use it for Veg now. Light is probably the single most important piece of equipment. You have a smaller grow space and that light might be enough. It doesn't draw 450w watts as advertised. it only draw 200w with bloom and veg on. Fyi in case you didn't know.

IMO you should strive to get whatever medium you are using to be watered every day.
I am in 20-25 gallon fabric pots and I water every single day.
That means your soil tilth is right and roots are getting good oxygen and the plant is working like a well oiled machine transpiring like crazy.
If you're in soil and only watering once a week then your plant is no where near optimum growth.

IMO you should strive to get whatever medium you are using to be watered every day.
I am in 20-25 gallon fabric pots and I water every single day.
That means your soil tilth is right and roots are getting good oxygen and the plant is working like a well oiled machine transpiring like crazy.
If you're in soil and only watering once a week then your plant is no where near optimum growth.
That is some advanced shit. I think most of us would kill our girls watering soil every day. When I do grow soil I use FFOF and it is about the best in a bag. This is a hobby. I have more than one... I am impressed by you guys that make your own super soils. It's not for the lazy. I Sir am lazy. Just remember most of us aren't developing a suppersoil. Most are just using some organic dirt with natural amendments.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what I need to do with Coco/ FFOF blend. Trying to get rid of extra coco I have and possibly finding my new medium. So far I think I need dolomite lime and some oyster shell to buffer ph. Still not sure if I dry out or not between waterings. Starting to think I may need to go with different % of soil vs coco. 50/50 is sounding like a coco grow. Maybe I need to go 20 or 30% coco instead of 50/50. I'm in 1.5 gallon for veg now but when I up pot for flower I will go less coco.

reading your journal or I should say taking a quick look what you're up to. I see you in 7 gallon pots FFOF soil and watering every 4 to 5 days..... What this about watering everyday?
Your saying one thing and doing another or maybe I need to read more of your journal and maybe I have misspoke. Some of the things you have said seem outlandish. It made me go to you journal. Are you trolling a newbe?

reading your journal or I should say taking a quick look what you're up to. I see you in 7 gallon pots FFOF soil and watering every 4 to 5 days..... What this about watering everyday?
That was my first grow 6 years ago.
Which btw by the time I got a month into flower was watering at least once a day sometimes twice even on that first grow.
My journal is 6 years long with multiple grows all in the same journal.
I went from 7 gal bottle fed with organic nutrients to 15 gal the very next grow, then 3rd grow went to 25 gallon pots and just amendments and sprouted seed teas.
Been doing 25 gal pots and proper soil tilth watering everyday for the past 4 1/2 years.
It took me 3 to 4 grows to get it honed in.

Give a read through when you have 30 minutes or so.

The one post in my journal that you reacted (liked) was talking about a little 7 gal pot that I squeezed to the side of my 20 gal pots.
I had to water that pot at least twice a day in flower.
It really wasn't workable was just too small and I am hoping the 10 gal will barely work, so I won't have to water twice+ a day.
Ideally you don't ever want your soil "dry" that kills roots, root hairs, root tips, plus in my soil it would kill everything, worms, bugs etc.
All that life needs consistent moisture.

Here's my current soil.
I can dump a 16oz glass of water on it and it dissappears the second it touches the soil, goes right through like its a screen door.

Hahaha.... I don't even want to add up money spent on grow. I got into it originally because of the cost to get decent bud and not really knowing what kind of chemicals might be on it. Organic pot was just too expensive to even consider. Weed from dispensary doesn't seem so expensive anymore.. lol ... I think I got most of the overhead paid for and credit card looks much better now that the big ticket items are paid for. My friends really come out winners. Giving is a gift in itself tho. My first grows have been amazing and surprising because I just didn't think I could grow quality; At least not first grow.

I'm also looking to see how your light performs. It's similar to my original light. I use it for Veg now. Light is probably the single most important piece of equipment. You have a smaller grow space and that light might be enough. It doesn't draw 450w watts as advertised. it only draw 200w with bloom and veg on. Fyi in case you didn't know.
I have a new light now, but don’t know anything about it. I bought my new 3x3 tent and the light from the local hydroponics guy. I’ll have to get him to explain it to me, so I can properly describe it. You guys talking about lights kinda makes my eyes glaze over (or maybe that’s the weed).

That was my first grow 6 years ago.
Which btw by the time I got a month into flower was watering at least once a day sometimes twice even on that first grow.
My journal is 6 years long with multiple grows all in the same journal.
I went from 7 gal bottle fed with organic nutrients to 15 gal the very next grow, then 3rd grow went to 25 gallon pots and just amendments and sprouted seed teas.
Been doing 25 gal pots and proper soil tilth watering everyday for the past 4 1/2 years.
It took me 3 to 4 grows to get it honed in.

Give a read through when you have 30 minutes or so.

The one post in my journal that you reacted (liked) was talking about a little 7 gal pot that I squeezed to the side of my 20 gal pots.
I had to water that pot at least twice a day in flower.
It really wasn't workable was just too small and I am hoping the 10 gal will barely work, so I won't have to water twice+ a day.
Ideally you don't ever want your soil "dry" that kills roots, root hairs, root tips, plus in my soil it would kill everything, worms, bugs etc.
All that life needs consistent moisture.

Here's my current soil.
I can dump a 16oz glass of water on it and it dissappears the second it touches the soil, goes right through like its a screen door.

look forward to the read. :)

I have a new light now, but don’t know anything about it. I bought my new 3x3 tent and the light from the local hydroponics guy. I’ll have to get him to explain it to me, so I can properly describe it. You guys talking about lights kinda makes my eyes glaze over (or maybe that’s the weed).
lol... I freaked out trying to learn about lights quickly. Someone told me I'd be disappointment with buds if I used the light they saw in a photo on my journal. I had just flipped plants and they were starting to flower. I had a light a week later and on my girls which ended with lots of nice buds.

Holy crap, i could have wrote this myself. my grow space is hindered by old( new systems tried and hated) . Now settled on the l.o.s coco/perlite as a happy medium , so to speak .lol can't beat megacrop either. love it for simplicity and boost to green

Back
Top Bottom