1st Time Grower Journal From Spain With Twin Plants

Macho Munchies

420 Member
Hello there fellow members, I hope everyone is doing well and chilling with their favorite strain. I’m a first time grower trying out an indoor grow room here in the warm and humid Spanish Coast.

Photo: The Setup

image.jpg

I’ve decided to join the forum in order to share my journey as well as receiving the invaluable knowledge I’ve seen other members provide, and hoped I could learn as well

I’m growing 9 photoperiodic plants in 5.5L containers, using BioBizz All-Mix soil, spread out in a 3x3 formation under a 200W LED Grow Light.

Photo: The Plants

image.jpg

Light Cycle: 16/8 (Designed to avoid Light Heat during the warm times of day)
Off: 12pm - 8pm
On: 8pm - 12pm

Strains are:

- 5 Black Domina + Critical
- 4 Black Domina + White Widow

I’m on day 11 and have been following instructions from the Grow Shop I’ve bought the equipment and seeds from. But I wanted to know the opinion of others growers.

So that’s what I did so far (I’ll try my best to keep it organized and concise):

- Started Plants in plugs, then transplanted them when taproot reached the bottom.

- Curiously, one of the seeds sprouted twins, which I decided to keep as I wanted to witness an uncommon occasion unfold (even if it costed me a bit of my final yield). I tried separating them by leaving a Q-tip (stripped of cotton) between them to avoid overlapping and creating shade. I also used another Q-tip to support the big sister.

Photo: Q-tips in Use

image.jpg

- Containers were filled with BioBizz All-Mix then watered with 550ml of water (10% of total container capacity). Water is at 6.2 pH. I let run-off drain before transplanting plants

Photo: BioBizz All-Mix composition

image.jpg

- I then moved the recently-transplanted seedlings (2 days old) to the Grow Box at 11am, where they had 1 hour of Light at 100% LED Power before it was time to go dark. I believe that was a mistake, as they were very long and stretched after I opened the Box again.

- I also believe I made another beginner mistake as I didn’t open the Box immediately when the lights opened, and it created a very warm environment (34°C - 93.2°F).

- Managing heat seemed to be a problem. I managed to get the temperature down to Around 28-30°C (82-86°F) by lowering the LED Power to 50%. I don’t believe that’s a very good idea but I hoped it was more important to control the temperature.

- I also added 3 USB Clip-on Fans inside the box. They’re not directly pointed at the plants but as the air moves around it lightly shakes the plants’ leaves. I don’t know if that’s a problem

- I bought a Hygrometer that you stick into the soil and it measures if that soil is dry, moist or wet. I’m on day 11 and it still shows as moist at knuckle depth (I even stuck my finger there to check it myself as I didn’t believe it was still moist. I was wrong, it’s still moist). I know baby plants aren’t supposed to drink gallons but I’m a bit worried if I’m honest. They’re still growing fine however (or so it seems at least)

Photo: The Hygrometer

image.jpg

- The twin plants are odd. The little sister is basically a miniature cannabis plant that’s now growing normally (apart from being tiny). You can see her in the Q-tip Photo

- The big sister was growing slower than the other only-childs, but eventually its growth stopped as it just paused in the middle of opening the leaves. After a couple days with no sign of activity, big sister sprouted perfectly symmetrical pairs of serrated leaves from the node directly below the paused leaf on the top. And if that’s not weird enough, all the structures I described are sprouting from the same spot between the cotyledons

Photo: The Big Sister

image.jpg

- As far as the twins are concerned, I’m just watching in awe as nature does its thing. I wonder if this reaction is similar to what happens when a plant is topped and it starts to regrow symmetrically.

- I started noticing a white line running through the middle of the leaves. Couldn’t find anything about it online, so I leave a photo and hope for enlightenment

Photo: The White Line

image.jpg

So that pretty much covers it all. I would be delighted to hear some feedback (even if it’s “goddamnit bud, you did everything wrong” ) from you guys as I’m excited to get as best as I can at this.

This is truly a labor of love, and the best I can do for my plants is to understand their complex existence so I can guide them towards a bountiful harvest.

Please let me know if there are any more information or photos that I should add

Hola, bienvenido

I think you have it under control mate. 28 to 30C is pushing the limit. extraction fans are good for sucking heat and humidity out.
What I will suggest is, don't trust the soil hygrometer; they aren't very accurate.
There's a few different methods on when and how to water, I will find the link.
I would also suggest getting a cheap LUX/light meter, you can pick them up for less than 20 euros.
There is a specific light limit each stage of growth is optimal in. I'm just a little concerned that a 200 watt light at 50% is too high for such young plants..

You should really set up a journal and update it regularly with photographs. It's very helpful for others, so they can spot issues for you before they get out of control..
Anyway..
Welcome again and if you need anything just ask..

Squiggle

Welcome Macho! There’s a link you’ll see in my post EmilYa’s how to properly water a potted plant. Tons of good info there! I’ll echo what @Squiggle said: Start a journal with pics and keep being as detailed as you were in this post. You really didn’t leave any questions un-answered…

Hola, bienvenido

I think you have it under control mate. 28 to 30C is pushing the limit. extraction fans are good for sucking heat and humidity out.
What I will suggest is, don't trust the soil hygrometer; they aren't very accurate.
There's a few different methods on when and how to water, I will find the link.
I would also suggest getting a cheap LUX/light meter, you can pick them up for less than 20 euros.
There is a specific light limit each stage of growth is optimal in. I'm just a little concerned that a 200 watt light at 50% is too high for such young plants..

You should really set up a journal and update it regularly with photographs. It's very helpful for others, so they can spot issues for you before they get out of control..
Anyway..
Welcome again and if you need anything just ask..

Squiggle
Muchas Gracias, Squiggle

I just ordered a Lux Meter, it arrives on Friday.

I also added more information and photos to my post. It should be more complete now. I’ll keep everyone updated

Welcome Macho! There’s a link you’ll see in my post EmilYa’s how to properly water a potted plant. Tons of good info there! I’ll echo what @Squiggle said: Start a journal with pics and keep being as detailed as you were in this post. You really didn’t leave any questions un-answered…
Thanks a lot for the suggestion! I’ll check that post out right away

Thanks everyone!

And yes, it’s pretty weird, the bigger twin has now started growing symmetrically from the healthy nodes below the twisted leaves. It’s acting as if it was topped
Hey macho, I had the same thing happen to an outdoor Green Goblin strain with it growing a "twin". The first leaves after the cotyledons were fused and it looked like a little satellite dish. Then it split, sort of "auto-topped" itself. So i let it grow and do its thing and I separated it from the rest in case it hermied on me. But as of today, considering the not so great weather conditions in central California this summer. 66 days of over 100+ degree heat, smoky air from nearby forest fires, my (not so little anymore) mutant is doing great! About 3 weeks from chop and its full of nice looking sticky buds and instead of one main stalk, it has 2.

Hey macho, I had the same thing happen to an outdoor Green Goblin strain with it growing a "twin". The first leaves after the cotyledons were fused and it looked like a little satellite dish. Then it split, sort of "auto-topped" itself. So i let it grow and do its thing and I separated it from the rest in case it hermied on me. But as of today, considering the not so great weather conditions in central California this summer. 66 days of over 100+ degree heat, smoky air from nearby forest fires, my (not so little anymore) mutant is doing great! About 3 weeks from chop and its full of nice looking sticky buds and instead of one main stalk, it has 2.
That’s amazing to hear! Auto-toppers should be a thing :D

I’m gonna update my journal now with more information, including the twin!

Hey There Everyone! I have more updates.

For some reason I couldn’t edit my main post, so I’m writing a new one.

The 9 plants have been doing really well!

Photo: The Plants

image.jpg

The Twin plants seem to be doing fine as well. Little Sister is growing normally even though she’s a miniature plant.

Big Sister split it’s growth into two main stalks as it topped itself for some reason.

Funny thing seeing the whole structure sprouting from the Cotyledon positioned high atop the plant instead on the lower section of the stalk.

Photo: The Twins

8362F9CA-9A45-4393-A5CF-88E4C2811EB1.jpeg

And curiously one the 2 new stalks had its first set of serrated leaves containing 2 blades instead of 3

Photo: Missing Blades

AC7EA522-B80A-460E-B88B-122D7AB34217.jpeg

Today is day 16 since germination, I still haven’t watered them as it seems the roots are still getting enough water from the lower half of the soil in the pot.

Also, as the member @Squiggle kindly suggested, I got myself a LUX meter to measure how much light was shining on the plants.

Readings were:

11.000 LUX with the 200W LED on 35%

Light is approximately 50cm away from the Plants’ canopies

Now, I looked it up (and I might be wrong) and it seems that’s too much for seedlings, but not enough for veg-state.

So that’s it for the updates.

My Desired Schedule

Also, it’s worth mentioning that I’m on a tight growing schedule as I’ll leave the country for Christmas and New Years.

At that point I’d like for the harvest to be in the curing stage for at least 10 days so I can leave for a couple weeks without having to burp the jars.

Here’s my idea for this grow.

September 4 - Germinated seeds

September 30 - End Veg State

October 1 - Start Flowering Stage

November 30 - End Flowering Stage

December 1 - Harvest; Start Drying Stage

December 8 - Start Curing Stage (Burping Daily)

December 18 - Store for Long Term (Burping Monthly)

January 10 - Back to Spain to finally light the goods :bong:

Questions

I still do have some questions and it’d be awesome if you guys could share your knowledge :)

I’ll number them to make it easier.

1 - Are 16 days-old plants still considered seedlings? Because I wonder when (and if) I should increase the LED power above 35% to give them more LUX

2 - I’m a bit clueless regarding the LED distance from the plants. I was recommended between 40-60cm and now it’s at 50cm. Should I make changes to it?

3 - Plant #6 has been producing leaves that look different in color for the other ones.

It’s hard to see in the picture but under the naked eye it looks like there’s a lighter and darker tone of green. And it’s almost like it’s shiny, compared to the matte aspect of the other plants.

It affects the whole plant. Is it something I should be worrying about?

Photo: Plant #6

B35D4D33-3CDA-4880-A8AB-DC5D12CC982F.jpeg

4 - Is my Desire Schedule realistic? If not, I’d greatly appreciate tips on how to better preserve the goods during my 2 week absence.

That’s it for this post everyone.

Once again I thank you guys so much for all you taught me so far! Can’t wait to see how this all goes in future!

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Macho Munchies

1 - Are 16 days-old plants still considered seedlings? Because I wonder when (and if) I should increase the LED power above 35% to give them more LUX

2 - I’m a bit clueless regarding the LED distance from the plants. I was recommended between 40-60cm and now it’s at 50cm. Should I make changes to it?

3 - Plant #6 has been producing leaves that look different in color for the other ones.
1. Most grower judge vegetative state as the first true leaves. Your plan will put you at about 5 or 6 weeks vegging.

2. 50 to 60 cm is fine for seedlings, but you want to increase your light percentage for veg.

3. Plant #6 are you using any cal-mag in your feed? Looks like it might be an on set of Magnesium deficiency. See what other growers thing.
White Widow is a hog when it comes down to cal-mag.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Welcome to 420 Magazine @Macho Munchies

1. Most grower judge vegetative state as the first true leaves. Your plan will put you at about 5 or 6 weeks vegging.

2. 50 to 60 cm is fine for seedlings, but you want to increase your light percentage for veg.

3. Plant #6 are you using any cal-mag in your feed? Looks like it might be an on set of Magnesium deficiency. See what other growers thing.
White Widow is a hog when it comes down to cal-mag.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:
Thanks a lot for the help!

I boosted my LED Power back to 100% and at 50cm away the plants are getting around 27,000 LUX.

I also got Cal Max to correct a Magnesium deficiency as you pointed out. The guy from the Grow shop suggested it to help the plant restore itself to a healthy state.

Now I’m gonna wait to see if there’s any difference in the color.

I’ll keep you guys updated!

Hey everyone! Hope you guys have been doing good!

Life has been hectic so I’ve been lagging to post updates.

The 9 plants are now in the last month of Flowering.

The plants started looking like they had some nutrient deficiencies so I adjusted the dosage.

But one of them has been showing weird symptoms on its main cola.

Any idea of what it could be?
image.jpg

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom