1st Time Possible Fail Grow - 600W HPS

Hey thanks GhettoGro, criss cross btw I was just over commenting on your journal (puff puff pass some damn fine AK you have there). I fed them again this evening but after a couple or three tokes I'm now wondering if I just started them off in pots that were too big. I decided I'd go straight into big pots with these clones instead of transplanting, not sure if that's a good idea or bad, it's something I'll have to read up on if my brain doesn't overheat lol. The wife says that I'm spending a lot of time reading here, but I'm pretty OCD when it comes to something that I enjoy. OCD aside I don't suppose you know whether I'm able to cover my soil with pebbles/perlite to keep infestations at bay? I can't work it out whether it would be beneficial or whether it would starve the roots of oxygen.
I think what I may need to do is smoke a little more and think on it, try and get scientific to liven up my night while the wife is at work. I was terrified of mould so I keep the heat high and the humidity low when flowering, so thought maybe that was attracting the pests, but I'm glad to hear that spider mites aren't the plant killers that I have been thinking they were. Thanks for your advice it is much appreciated. All the best and thank you again :thumb:

ok I've just opened that link and it looks great. I'll spend some time finishing it off and glean some information whether it's what to do or what not to do lol. Thanks and if I could email you some of this over I definitely would. Likewise to everyone else here that helped me to actually get it instead of giving up and throwing my plants out and starting again.
:peacetwo:

wow, I just had a quick read through that (it saves as a pdf which I've done if you don't mind for future reference, just say the word and it will self explode in 3,2,1 ;) ), you have a penchant for tale telling. Those pics at the end with the upturned pot soil and THE END was pretty poignant, you killed poor little Linda! :Rasta:

Thanks again :thumb:

I'll be happy when that day comes GhettoGro, until then I'm just happy that there's great people with great advice dropping in helping me out, I'm learning more every day. One day I will share the love back everywhere :ganjamon:

Sierra Natural Sciences makes 2 products to kill spider mites, thrips and other insects SNS-217C Concentrate and SNS-209 Systemic Insect Control. I add 3-5 drops of Ivory Liquid Soap per gallon as a surfactant to help the spray stick to leaves and stems better. I would spray every 3 days for 2 weeks to kill adults and larvae as they hatch. I have successfully used Sierra Natural Science SNS-209 to kill Thrips insects.

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-217c

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-209

For soil insects I use diatomaceous earth on top of the soil as a barrier, it cuts them as they move through it. I bought my diatomaceous earth from an animal feed store, do not use the type meant for pool filters. Mosquito dunks can also be used as a soil drench for fungus gnats. Sierra Natural Sciences also makes a soil drench called SNS-203 for fungus gnats and other soil insects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous earth

https://www.homedepot.com Mosquito Dunks 6 Pack

https://www.sierranaturalscience.com natural-pesticides SNS-203

I would remove several lower leaves from your plant and under good light inspect the top and undersides of the leaves for any traces of insects.

Sorry about the quality of the pics I had to take them on my phone and no amount of editing could get the right colours for me. Anyway here are some pics of the Plushberry that are currently in veg. One of the plants fell over and I noticed what looked like little slug trails on the lower leaves. There are also brown spots (they look white in the photo's but they're brown with a deep brown circle in the middle and then concentric circles of lesser browns surrounding them. I thought it may be Thrips, ]

I've seen this on my last grow. Turned out to be thrips, they leave what look like slug trails on the upper leaves and brown spots on lower leaves. If you put a piece of white paper under the plant and tap them you should see some tiny specs fall on paper. Look at them through your microscope to confirm. I treated with a combination of neem oil rosemary oil and antibacterial soap. took a few applications to eradicate them.

Here are my pics
Screenshot_2015-04-15-22-05-03.png
Screenshot_2015-04-15-22-04-44.png
Screenshot_2015-04-14-20-31-30.png
Screenshot_2015-04-14-23-48-45.png
DSC_019322.JPG

Today my second plant was finally dry :) I'm not sure whether every stem should be trimmed out or not, maybe it helps the curing process, maybe it doesn't. Maybe I'll test it in the future and write my thoughts and findings. So I mixed it up a bit, left a short stem in some colas and buds, then stripped some colas and buds completely, and some flowers I stripped completely of everything, even the sugar leaves (I really need some bubble bags). What I will do is test the smoke once cured (who am I kidding), maybe a couple of testers as it's settling ;)

I have a couple of pictures (still waiting on my replacement camera unfortunately) of what I've got so far from the two plants, although the 16g I had from the first plant had pretty much been finished so I'm pretty happy with what I managed to harvest, and there's still two or three days left drying for the final plant. The nug on the lid I cannot lay claim too, this is a bud that was part of a sorter from a friend whilst I grew mine, it's the only bit that's left even after my 16g so it was close timing! It's Plushberry from the same plants that my clones were taken from, really dense in comparison to mine although I do prefer the smoke of the LSD. The LSD has a really nice high and then after a few it's BOOM! Goodnight which I actually prefer (and usually need as I have sleeping problems) whereas the Plushberry is more of a steady buzz that's in the middle.

Here are the goodies:

IMG_007647.JPG
IMG_0078-1.JPG

I will do a final update after the third plant is dry and then I will move on to a second journal which will be the Plushberry under a mix of CFL and LED in veg then the Mars Hydro 2 1600w for flower. Thanks again for all the help and dropping in everyone and I look forward to chatting again on either my journals, yours or maybe we'll even meet on other threads. I've been getting through a fair few of them in my spare time and I have to say that 420Magazine is a real eye opener and is the best place that I have ever been online. Maybe we should all meet up for a party :) Also I have some Method Seven LED clip on glasses (I need to wear prescription glasses) on their way, I will write a review on them one they get here so look out for that if you're interested in eye protection. All the best everyone and thanks for sharing this journey with me. :thumb:

:420: ROCKS

You most certainly can! Yar har har me hearty :) The yield was much better than I expected, and it definitely wasn't down to me as I was just going to chop them down at one point. I only wish that you could all share the smoke tests with me. :high-five:

Checked my final plant today and it's dry and ready for deboning, I'm sat doing that and wondering a couple of things. First is the same thing as yesterday, is it worth leaving the twig on to cure? I'm still unsure, but now I'm also wondering whether sugar leaves are left on for any particular reason other than that it's time consuming to remove them all? I'm wondering whether it's possible to just smoke the pure heart of the bud. It's probably not cost efficient for the grower that is selling but for someone like me that wants good decent medicine (and recreation) that has no set time constraints is it worth it? I'm doing just that (I have been for 3 days) with a lot of these. I'm digging deep into the heart of the flower and removing all sugar leaves, a painstaking process. Will I lose something other than yield, will it affect the high, or will it be like some super potency smoke? If anyone has any thoughts on the matter that would be great. I will be testing it once finished though. Also, is it OK for me to repost these questions in the questions and answers part of the forum? I'm intrigued :grinjoint:

Also has anyone ever come across a creature in their grow area that is around 4-5mm long, 2-3mm wide. White almost translucent looks jellified with a black spot at the front and one at the back. Kind of bulbous and irregularly shaped with splayed protrusions almost like a frog's feet? I just saw one on the front panel of my tent, couldn't tell what it was but thought I would scrape it off to have a closer look. As soon as I touched it it ran around fast (still keeping a grip on the tent door) before jumping off towards me. Freaked is not the word. Has anyone any ideas?

Checked my final plant today and it's dry and ready for deboning, I'm sat doing that and wondering a couple of things. First is the same thing as yesterday, is it worth leaving the twig on to cure? I'm still unsure, but now I'm also wondering whether sugar leaves are left on for any particular reason other than that it's time consuming to remove them all? I'm wondering whether it's possible to just smoke the pure heart of the bud. It's probably not cost efficient for the grower that is selling but for someone like me that wants good decent medicine (and recreation) that has no set time constraints is it worth it? I'm doing just that (I have been for 3 days) with a lot of these. I'm digging deep into the heart of the flower and removing all sugar leaves, a painstaking process. Will I lose something other than yield, will it affect the high, or will it be like some super potency smoke? If anyone has any thoughts on the matter that would be great. I will be testing it once finished though. Also, is it OK for me to repost these questions in the questions and answers part of the forum? I'm intrigued :grinjoint:

The more potent your cannabis is the less sugar leaves without trichomes that should be removed from the buds, I prefer to remove only the longer sugar leaves with few trichomes from the bud when I trim by hand. It is not necessary and detrimental to remove all the sugar leaves from the buds.

Also has anyone ever come across a creature in their grow area that is around 4-5mm long, 2-3mm wide. White almost translucent looks jellified with a black spot at the front and one at the back. Kind of bulbous and irregularly shaped with splayed protrusions almost like a frog's feet? I just saw one on the front panel of my tent, couldn't tell what it was but thought I would scrape it off to have a closer look. As soon as I touched it it ran around fast (still keeping a grip on the tent door) before jumping off towards me. Freaked is not the word. Has anyone any ideas?

Thrips

https://en.wikipedia.org Thrips

thrips.jpg

Thrip stages

thrips-in-stages2.jpg

Sierra Natural Science makes 2 products to kill spider mites, thrips and other insects SNS-217C Concentrate and SNS-209 Systemic Insect Control. I add 3-5 drops of Ivory Liquid Soap per gallon as a surfactant to help the spray stick to leaves and stems better. I would spray every 3 days for 2 weeks to kill adults and larvae as they hatch. I have successfully used Sierra Natural Science SNS-209 to kill Thrips insects.

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-217c

https://sierranaturalscience.com natural pesticides sns-209

Back
Top Bottom