1st Time Possible Fail Grow - 600W HPS

I'm not sure that topping really causes stress as I understand plant stress but it does make them pause as the growth hormone shift to the doubled grow tips. Quadrupled if you FIM and it worked right. :)

Bending the tops over works best in your situation tho I think. I like to roll the stem hard between my fingers until it gets soft and the top flops over. Even if the stem breaks open the top cola still grows as big or bigger than if left standing. The side colas grow up fatter and taller than they would otherwise too so it's all good. :)

Amazing plants that can do incredible things when you tweak them right. :)

:peace:

Hey fellas thanks for the advice. I think my best bet is just to try and tie them back at the moment. I'm not sure I can trust myself to get it right if I start trying out new techniques so close to flowering and I think after the problems with my first grow I'll be happy to just have a plant that doesn't keel over on me.
The rolling of the stem sounds great OldMedUser, I'll definitely have to try that one out at some point, I'm all for fatter buds. One thing I will do is Light Addict's bud backbuilding technique, I tried that last time but only on certain colas. It seemed to make a great difference on the colas I tried it on and as I've already given it a go I'll be comfortable doing it again. All the best everyone :thumb:

I just top. Then remove the bottom 20% roughly (sucker branches) I also remove the first 30% of each branch so light can penatrate the whole plant. And the removal also let's plant breath better.

Hey Dutty. I think this time I'm going to give the defoliation a miss. I'd done a defol just before everything went pear shaped on the last grow. I know it probably wasn't that, but this time I just really wanted to grow naturally and see if I could have a smooth ride of it. Even this tying down is more than I wanted to do really. I ran before I could walk on the last grow so this time I'm going to take it easy and let nature take it's course, well apart from the bud back building mentioned but I can trust myself to get that done right, just about :). Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely make use of it once I've had a couple of grows under my belt. All the best :thumb:

Hey Dutty. I think this time I'm going to give the defoliation a miss. I'd done a defol just before everything went pear shaped on the last grow. I know it probably wasn't that, but this time I just really wanted to grow naturally and see if I could have a smooth ride of it. Even this tying down is more than I wanted to do really. I ran before I could walk on the last grow so this time I'm going to take it easy and let nature take it's course, well apart from the bud back building mentioned but I can trust myself to get that done right, just about :). Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely make use of it once I've had a couple of grows under my belt. All the best :thumb:

Great self advice! :) This way you will get to know what your strain likes. You will appreciate what you can get from your plant using other methods.

I started growing in small cups and pop bottles. I would clone and veg maybe 2 weeks and put it into flower with no training. I think it will make you a better grower overall. It will give you a more well rounded knowledge of your plant. Then you can do something new and compare it to past grows.

Hey Scarfinger, hope everything is well where you are :) I've finally managed to move a couple of plants to the flower tent today, made a lot of adjustments too. Moved all the tents round so we could have a deep clean, raised my carbon filter and exhaust higher as they were around 10" from the top of the tent. Set myself a 'lab' up in there complete with microscope section, camera section and nutrient section for when I get into the organic growing. I'll be doing vids for my next grow I reckon, so long as I can find a way to stay stealthed on Youtube, seeing as we live in a country with Draconian laws.
Oh yeah, and best of all I have a new secret weapon to protect my plants!

IMGP0020.jpg

IMGP00221.jpg

All the best everyone :thumb:

Hey Scarfinger, hope everything is well where you are :) I've finally managed to move a couple of plants to the flower tent today, made a lot of adjustments too. Moved all the tents round so we could have a deep clean, raised my carbon filter and exhaust higher as they were around 10" from the top of the tent. Set myself a 'lab' up in there complete with microscope section, camera section and nutrient section for when I get into the organic growing. I'll be doing vids for my next grow I reckon, so long as I can find a way to stay stealthed on Youtube, seeing as we live in a country with Draconian laws.
Oh yeah, and best of all I have a new secret weapon to protect my plants!

IMGP0020.jpg

IMGP00221.jpg

All the best everyone :thumb:

looks like me and you and arellanobrian are gnome brothers now :rofl:

041140.JPG

Indeed db003 lol. It was through reading the thread that I saw you were both using them for protection, and then I saw this little guy while out shopping with the wife. She gave me a few funny looks but she doesn't understand the secret gnome power! ;) All the best :thumb:

Well I'm still hard at work sorting out my grow room/man cave and it's coming along slowly but surely. Here's a few pics of work in progress, plus I think I'll introduce a few friends to my little friend :)

IMGP0031.JPG
IMGP0032.JPG
IMGP0033.JPG
IMGP0035.JPG
IMGP0037.JPG

My little friend's new friends and protectors of the garden!

IMGP00421.JPG

It seems that some of the pictures have been turned around, maybe I need to do something after switching from landscape to portrait orientation. Oh well I'll work on that seeing as the wife has just brought me a cold beer and I have a few smokes ready rolled :) All the best everyone and welcome to my little bubble of love :circle-of-love::Namaste:

Well I'm still hard at work sorting out my grow room/man cave and it's coming along slowly but surely. Here's a few pics of work in progress, plus I think I'll introduce a few friends to my little friend :)

IMGP0031.JPG
IMGP0032.JPG
IMGP0033.JPG
IMGP0035.JPG
IMGP0037.JPG

My little friend's new friends and protectors of the garden!

IMGP00421.JPG

is that a ThermalTake Level 10 GT Snow Edition? did you build it your self I built my computer

Hey db003 it is indeed! I built it myself too, I've done it for donkey's years (won't say how many years that is as I'll be showing my old age lol) :). I find it a good looking case with some great designs like the hot swappable hard drive bays. Unfortunately mine has a problem with rattle, one faulty ball bearing on a fan that sometimes sets the mesh ringing. I should have swapped it out but it was really awkward with it's positioning at the top after I'd fitted everything. I also snapped a leg off it so they all had to come off. It's a few years old and should be due an upgrade but it's one I've always liked the look of, two new builds have been through it so I can say that it lasts at least :)

Hey everyone, I'm going to set up a 2nd grow journal now as on Sunday 31st May I moved two plants into the flowering tent and set them to 12/12. Since then I've had some interesting developments which I'll outline on the other journal as this journal should be closed due to me having (Yippee!) harvested that juicy budness :)

Please feel free to jump over and offer your advice. All comments are welcome, thanks for sticking with me through this grow journey, your help picked me up from the point of killing off the plants and carried me to harvest. All the best and may your greens be plentiful :thumb:

Well done on your first grow. Will look at your other grow when i have time. I started off with a couple of bag seed - pure sativas and didnt yield much as they had a while to go till flower and had an nft tank to get used with 3 x strawberry blue and 3 x chronic haze. Had a couple of free seeds too (ordered from attitude and have 100% success germ rate). The bagseed was chopped early and concentrated on the haze and blue. Done with a 400w hps, in a big cupboard under the stairs so plenty of room to let heat escape and on really hot days i opened the door to let out heat. Canna 13/14 was your mistake - far too much but flushing did the job and saved your smoke. If you ever go back to using hps buy a heat tube - goes round your bulb and keeps temps down without diminishing any light at all as it made from glass. I got over 9oz from the 6 plants so getting 4.5oz from your 3 is very reasonable and like you said - you did it, you know what it is, you know what went into it, and when you grab a bud to smoke you know it is perfectly dried and cured unlike some you buy from the dealers. The strawberry blue is a nice strain to grow - makes you laugh uncontrollably at nothing. Well done on your first grow and enjoy doing more. I have done 3 grows till i lent my mate my kit and he got busted! Had a gf who had a drink problem so she grassed him in for growing.

Havent done a grow for a while now as kids make it hard and not much room in the flat so now growing outside in glasgow (scotland). All seems to be going well so fingers crossed it all works out.

Hey thanks for dropping in Glasgrow. Shame about your kit :/ I'm going to be sticking with LED for awhile as the temps were unbearable in the house, my missus loves a lot of heating as she's a cold blooded b...let's not go there I'm just joking ;) You're right in the fact that the smoke is much better, I've really been enjoying this. I hope your plants grow well and if you make a journal I'll be sure to join. All the best :thumb:

in thoses pictures we are clearly seeing the white leds as white .... not as green like you are saying now in mars hydro page .... so they were white and they turn green ..... hmmmm

I'd like to say a really BIG thank you to Sara (SmokeSara) from Mars Hydro for helping me out here. As you may know I've been suffering from temperature problems with this grow so I decided that I would order a 192x3 Reflector series to swap out my 600HPS to alleviate the problem. The service I received was absolutely outstanding so I would like to talk you through what actually happened plus put a few pictures up that help with a size comparison of what I received (not the 192x3 Reflector) as I hadn't seen anything that really put these LED lights into perspective and I was expecting something smaller and of a much lesser build quality than I actually received.

OK my ordering process went like this:

On Thursday 9th April I ordered the 192x3 Reflector direct from the Mars Hydro website, paid my money and received my confirmation order number. I contacted Sara and had a chat with her the same night as I had received no shipping confirmation. Sara let me know that the UK warehouse had none of those particular lights in stock and was also aware that I needed the lights ASAP due to the problems I was having with my HPS. She then went on to offer me a change of order to 2x 96x3 Reflectors which were in stock over here, explaining to me that I wouldn't have to wait for the container shipping which would be at least 2 more weeks. The difference in cost was negligible and I agreed to her idea of changing my order. No extra cost was incurred by myself for this and I was hoping to receive them by midweek next week or the beginning of the following week at the latest (time was of the essence).
Yesterday Friday 10th April I hadn't received a shipping confirmation so I contacted Sara again checking that the change of order had gone through without any problems. She then assured me that there were no problems and stated that she would get her assistant to email me a tracking number.

Well today Saturday 11th April I was banged out of bed (I'm a night owl :p) at 11am with the delivery of my two 96x3 Reflectors! Sara knew that I had a problem and her excellent help has now ensured that I can fix it quick sharp! From an expected 3 weeks or so delivery I received my lights in 2 days, on a Saturday! I'm blown away with the service and thought that it was only fair that I give credit where credit is due. Thanks you Sara so much, I have left you a little love letter on FB lol.

For anyone that is thinking twice about purchasing from this company I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Also if you have a read through the forums you will find that pretty much everyone that has used the company will too.

Now onto a couple of pictures and a size comparison:

Packaging size comparison v Iphone 5 and Clipper lighter
DSC1822.JPG

Actual Lighting size v Iphone 5 and Clipper lighter
DSC1836rs.jpg

Lighting Veg only
DSC1842rs.jpg

Lighting Veg and Bloom
DSC1840rs.jpg

I hope this post is of some use to someone. Peace all :)

DarksideoftheMike, I'm happy that you are interested in my discussion with Sara regarding the fact that my LED lights are indeed green. I'll need some time to check which camera I took these on and whether there was any white balancing involved. Bear with me and I'll let you know, although it's Sara that should be looking into this, not you.

Back
Top Bottom