3rd Grow: Super Lemon Haze & Gold Leaf

Day 19 = Stretch is still working however it looks like it might be slowing down.
The tallest plants are the SLH and they have gotten within the 12-15 inch range under the lights. However because of the lateral distance from directly under the lights the PAR readings are still in the 900 range and I'm currently not seeing any light damage. In fact the flowering bud crown tops are looking extremely happy. Big fluffy tops of pistils just exploding like 4th of July rockets. I've got the Gold Leaf sitting on upside down flower pots and that has them raised up to about the same height of the SLH's, so the GL's are equally happy.

Looking good man, they look bigger than last time!
:passitleft:
They are bigger, but have fewer branches. I'm feeling that the yield might be similar though. Started flowering much taller with a much longer veg cycle. I'm looking forward to doing some defoliation of the largest fans this next week. Planning on leaving some of the smaller ones that are lower hopefully. The node spacing is nice and rather like the donor plants you helped trim.

Day 23 - Wow! The grow during stretch has been awesome. Picture of the two Gilda Clones today.
I have them on overturned plastic pots to raise them up so they are closer to the height of the SLH. Skipped watering yesterday and gave a full liter today after a 48hr period.
The following pictures are of some bud stacking going on. At this stage of the stretch I very impressed.
This is a flash lit closeup of about 8inches of the top of one branch. Already getting frosty

An overall impression from this grow compared to the previous grow of the donor plants is that the much longer veg cycle combined with the longer reveg after the pre-stretch defoliation is really showing some positive results. The plants are so much larger and very full.

Still considering a very light defoliation of one plant of each matching pair. Only take the largest of the fans that are creating shadow.

I put two large humidity drying bags in the tent today. The humidity has been running in the low 70's and I'd really like to get it down 10 points if possible. Hung them midway in the tent at about 4feet on the back corners. Hoping the draw of air from below toward the suction of the blower at the top will help that process also. Currently the humidity in the garage is under 58% and the humidity in the smaller tent with the UK Cheese is running the same at 58%. I feel the increase in humidity is from the large amount of leaves. In the past I have cured this with a heavy defoliation, that's not going to be an option this time if I do the comparison defoliation.

Pictures of the SLH Clones tomorrow. They are monsters!

Day 24 - A little over 3 weeks since the light flip and stretch began. The humidity in the flowering tent has slowly moved up to the low 70's. Previous experience has show that defoliating at 3 weeks will reduce the humidity to the lower 60's which is the the humidity outside the grow tent. I'm also wondering if my carbon filter isn't flowing well enough to vent some of the humidity out. Would like to just remove it, however the smell is beginning to get strong inside the tent. As I'm going to need a second one very soon, will order one today and hopefully have it by the weekend.

Here are some pictures pre defoliation of the SLH.

I defoliated one of the Gold Leaf plants and 2 of the three SLH plants. In that process I wasn't quite as brutal as I have been in the past. I only removed the largest fans on the longest stems. It seemed that most them had nice purple stems also. I will hopefully post some pictures of the defoliation tomorrow on the next day.

@DrDoob recently shared a video with myself and @FelipeBlu on defoliation and the usefulness of keeping fans for sugars and food storage. I know that @InTheShed has spoken to this point before. So in line with conversations with Shed on doing a yield comparison between matching pairs of clones was considered and hope we can make it happen.

The only issue I see that could change things at this point is humidity. If I can't get it under control then I may need to do a more radical defoliation and understand that I need to reduce the number of plants I'm using in a comparison.

Day 24 - A little over 3 weeks since the light flip and stretch began. The humidity in the flowering tent has slowly moved up to the low 70's. Previous experience has show that defoliating at 3 weeks will reduce the humidity to the lower 60's which is the the humidity outside the grow tent. I'm also wondering if my carbon filter isn't flowing well enough to vent some of the humidity out. Would like to just remove it, however the smell is beginning to get strong inside the tent. As I'm going to need a second one very soon, will order one today and hopefully have it by the weekend.

Here are some pictures pre defoliation of the SLH.

I defoliated one of the Gold Leaf plants and 2 of the three SLH plants. In that process I wasn't quite as brutal as I have been in the past. I only removed the largest fans on the longest stems. It seemed that most them had nice purple stems also. I will hopefully post some pictures of the defoliation tomorrow on the next day.

@DrDoob recently shared a video with myself and @FelipeBlu on defoliation and the usefulness of keeping fans for sugars and food storage. I know that @InTheShed has spoken to this point before. So in line with conversations with Shed on doing a yield comparison between matching pairs of clones was considered and hope we can make it happen.

The only issue I see that could change things at this point is humidity. If I can't get it under control then I may need to do a more radical defoliation and understand that I need to reduce the number of plants I'm using in a comparison.

Since you only need to lower it a 10-20 percent you could probably get away with a little room dehydrator for about $30-$40. I use one in my (albeit much smaller) drying tent and it works great.

Just wanted to share a post on the role of fans in the plant's life that bobrown posted in my thread last week, while we're on the subject:

On the defoil. Yes fan leaves store energy for when the plant eventually needs more energy. They take in energy from photosynthesis, use the vascular system to spread out that energy thru out the plant.

Fan leaves like the plant have a life cycle and lots of times but not always, its different than the plants cycle. So the fan leaves take it energy from the sun, then pass it around the plant. As the fan leaves get older they become and energy SINK. There's a sort of valve in the petiole (stem) where the plants let the energy flow both ways. As the fan leaf ages, that valve eventually only lets energy from FROM the leaf back into the plant. That's when you see the fan leaves turn yellow and some call it fade. he plant uses that energy sink to make flowers for reproduction.

Now some strains like a equatorial sativa that can grow say 120+ days in flower, will grow a new set of fan leaves and repeat the process.

I as a general rule, do not cut off fans unless I'm cleaning up down low on the plant. I usually only do that when I up-pot to my flower pot right before they go into 12/12. Once they are in flower, I do not cut leaves off.

There's a thing plants do called translocation. It's how nutrients are moved from one part of the plant to the other and why it's not necessary for all flowers to get direct sun or even all leaves. Ever wonder how some of the low down buds are just and strong as the tops? That's translocation at work. With translocation the plant can move nutrients into fan leaves and store them there for future use.

Growers that use nutrients get away with cutting off those energy sinks because they are bypassing the natural process of how the plants gather and retain nutrients for growth.

I like the natural way for one reason, I don't have to do any work and results are good. You can probably count the times I touch plants in flower with one hand. It's very rare.

Since you only need to lower it a 10-20 percent you could probably get away with a little room dehydrator for about $30-$40. I use one in my (albeit much smaller) drying tent and it works great.
I actually had a couple of dehydrator bags that are supposed to absorb moisture and reduce the humidity. Put them in yesterday and saw no change.

I do have plenty of room up high in the tent, but that might not be so great for emptying the dehumidifier. Additionally I would like to avoid using any additional electricity if possible.

I really feel it might be that the carbon filter has absorbed too much and perhaps clogged up. It isn't letting enough air flow out of the tent and hopefully replacing it will reduce the humidity. New filter ordered and should be here by Friday. We shall see.

I went ahead an also ordered a small room dehumidifier for under $40. I will get this humidity under control.

Day 28 - Both of the Gold Leafs over on the right side are really busy building buds. Over with the SLH there looks to be a difference between the plant that wasn't defoliated and the two in front that were. Maybe just a little shock from the defoliation, maybe Maybe??

Hey man did you try out the bubble bags yet?
I did and didn't have any succcess. Not sure if it was the size of the bags or the container that I upt the bags in not being the correct size. It bares some consult at some point with you on my technique and perhaps we can figure a couple of things out. I'll PM you.

I did and didn't have any succcess. Not sure if it was the size of the bags or the container that I upt the bags in not being the correct size. It bares some consult at some point with you on my technique and perhaps we can figure a couple of things out. I'll PM you.
I haven’t done it yet. I have a set of bags but I haven’t had enough trim to make it worth the efforts.

I haven’t done it yet. I have a set of bags but I haven’t had enough trim to make it worth the efforts.
I think and feel that was part of my problem. The quantity of material I tried to work with was very small so the residue in the last bag was very light and the water dried way to quickly.

Back
Top Bottom