400watt hps Qs

kennykilller

im kinda goin for better quality rather than amount on this but dont wanna come up short on how much i get out of my plants. im using soil, organic nutes, and a 400watt hps. would it be best to consentrate on just 1 or would i cutting myself short? i usually lollypop my plants and top them a few times. i know grow style has alot to do with as well. any input????

I've read that topping actually shocks the plant, slowing its development, and that a so-called low-stress-technique, involving training the tops to be bent down is better, so that other branches try to become colas IN ADDITION. This alternative to topping has evolved into the screen-of-green (SCROG) style where EVERYTHING is bent over except lots of buds which peak through a chicken-wire screen and get ALL the light.

yes it does lol. so your suggesting that i try scroging insted of topping? mmm i just might try that. and considering im only running a 400watt hps more out of less would b best:) thinks for the info lenngray

It's not necessary to go the whole hog all at once. Just gradually tie down the highest verticals. I've gone the whole hog a couple of times, and it's work. It is the best way to get the most out of a limited light, but it's probably best approached gradually.

I think LST is the way to go... plants almost respond within hours to the adjustment where as topping there usually is a few day recovery period... I definitely suggest LST for bushing out your plant and creating more tops...

Also..since you have a 400w HPs...(magnetic I am assuming) then you should pick up a CMH bulb by phillips (only for HPS magnetic ballasts). Ceramic metal halides give you a much fuller spectrum for the entire grow, and the bulbs are really cheap...

I still dont know what LST means?:hmmmm:

LST - Low Stress Training

I've beem using a 400w hps with a mild bit of lst over my last few grows its really easy to do & grow four small bush style of plants under the 400w.

Hi mate,
Well your intended grow is similar to mine, im using a 400w MH in soil atm, and did have a 400HPS but upgraded to a 600w for this grow.
As suggested, LST or topping once may be the best way of growing a plant to achieve its full potential.. Tho plants left alone to grow as Xmas tree s still produce well! My last grow with the 400wMH/HPS grew to 5ft, and gave 8 oz of dry cola's and some more small buds.
Icemuds suggestions are on the money as with Fuzzy.. So have a look at some techniques and see what appeals to you.
This is my current LST, just over 1 month old, 1 plant under 400w MH in soil..
2012-08-13_19_22_59.jpg
These 2 were some buds from my last grow..
2012-05-22_17_13_02.jpg
2012-05-22_17_12_45.jpg
GOODLUCK MATE<take it easy.. SMOKEMUP

LST - Low Stress Training

I've beem using a 400w hps with a mild bit of lst over my last few grows its really easy to do & grow four small bush style of plants under the 400w.

Well Fuzzy,
im trying to find out if anyone has LST'd a plant to grow it over 5ft?? Im interested to know if its been done and WOULD REALLY LIKE to see pics, and see how it grew and the yield size- As this is my goal. She is already getting closer to 2ft now,just over a month.. I wanted 3ft at least before flower.. If ANYONE has seen or known of LST being done to this height too, please send me a post.. Thanks guys, SMOKEMUP;)

How much does a 400watt hps affect you electric bill? I need to do a stelth grow but is a big issue. Any info would be appreciated.

It does increase the bill if you run it 24/7 for alot of the veg.. By how much depends on the power company!! You can use 18/6 light/dark cycle and that saves some light. Some may suggest the GLR - Gas Lantern Routine.. where plants arent given 12 hours of complete dark, its interrupted for an hour and this keeps it from flowering, it uses like 12 hrs light/11 dark and 1 hr light during the dark period or sumthin like this anyway??
A 400w isnt really that much IMO its nearly like leaving 5 x 75 w household globes on all nite or such i think? 400watts is 400 watts..
Anyway its your call on how many plants you choose, if your space isnt that large you have a few options, LST or SCROG. Or you can just let it grow as normal - Xmas tree? Its totally your decision! Goodluck and hope all goes well!:thumb: Smokemup

Back
Top Bottom