420 Magazine's Nug of the Month: September 2018

420 Magazine's Nug of the Month: September 2018

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Only because I like a party, here goes a bud of Cali OG Kush/Haze a year in the jar. If you like sativa dom you might love this. Strong, Tasty, a fun talkative buzz.
IMG_3708.jpg

:thanks:...Gotta admit, bit of an ugly duckling as far as plants go (imo) but the buds are worth it...so sticky and such a unique bouquet.

Really? I’m mesmerized by mine every grow. I find them the most beautiful, fragrant and delicious plants. Great brownie makings. :slide:

Only because I like a party, here goes a bud of Cali OG Kush/Haze a year in the jar. If you like sativa dom you might love this. Strong, Tasty, a fun talkative buzz.
IMG_3708.jpg

Ooo... a year in the jar you say? Have you other accompanying buds to test for increased potency?

Ooo... a year in the jar you say? Have you other accompanying buds to test for increased potency?
How so? Like now vs when they were a month in the jar? It's a 24.4% strain to begin with. Last night I lit a fatty up and hit it 4 or 5 times. Good daytime party time high. The taste has evolved some. I'd say it mellowed and kept it's floral notes but lighter. The power of the high? I can't say if it increased. Is that a thing?

How so? Like now vs when they were a month in the jar? It's a 24.4% strain to begin with. Last night I lit a fatty up and hit it 4 or 5 times. Good daytime party time high. The taste has evolved some. I'd say it mellowed and kept it's floral notes but lighter. The power of the high? I can't say if it increased. Is that a thing?

Yes indeed it is a thing stoneotter. Decarb is a function of time and temperature and THCa is what we call an unstable molecule, aggressively trying to lose the carbon bonds and become THC.

So a bud that’s been curing properly will become more potent in effect. Of course, once you crossed that 24% threshold I’m sure those differences will be more difficult to discern, I’d think. Lol!

Yes indeed it is a thing stoneotter. Decarb is a function of time and temperature and THCa is what we call an unstable molecule, aggressively trying to lose the carbon bonds and become THC.

So a bud that’s been curing properly will become more potent in effect. Of course, once you crossed that 24% threshold I’m sure those differences will be more difficult to discern, I’d think. Lol!
I see. That's a fun fact for sure. I'll be paying attention in the rest of my stash. This one has changed texture for sure. The bovida is still liquid so I think humidity is ok. The buds got much tighter/denser in my fingers.(sausage fingers) I get what you're saying. Now I have some others to see if we can feel a change.

SweetSue, funny you ask about potency.That night I sparked one up with Ms Otter and a few hours later without a word from me she asked if I laced it with kief because of it's potency. I can say the nugs have changed over time. They look smaller, not as sticky to touch and grind easier. The bovida 62 is soft to touch so I assume it's working, I should put a hygrometer in to see. So, Do you think they shrink in the jar? If so, the thc would then be concentrated into a smaller space. A small piece will have more thc in it, therefore you're theory would be right on for increasing the power. What do you think?Could be multi things happening?

SweetSue, funny you ask about potency.That night I sparked one up with Ms Otter and a few hours later without a word from me she asked if I laced it with kief because of it's potency. I can say the nugs have changed over time. They look smaller, not as sticky to touch and grind easier. The bovida 62 is soft to touch so I assume it's working, I should put a hygrometer in to see. So, Do you think they shrink in the jar? If so, the thc would then be concentrated into a smaller space. A small piece will have more thc in it, therefore you're theory would be right on for increasing the power. What do you think?Could be multi things happening?

As they cure the buds naturally shrink into themselves. It’s not related to the moisture levels, for as you point out, the Boveda keeps them stable. This is natural settling, the same thing that happens to all matter when it sits in one spot indefinitely.

They’re simply compressing, but as they do so the THCa is also converting. Your theory about concentration has merit, but the potency aspect really has more to do with the loss of those carbon atoms, which is a function of time.

On top of that is the matter that no one yet understands - why do we get higher on cannabis that’s already been decarbed? I discovered this by accident a while back, and a couple other members checked it themselves and found it to be true, but we never went any further with it.

Try it sometime. Decarb a small amount and do your own comparison. As I write that I realize that I myself haven’t been decarbing the bud I smoke. :eek: Gonna have to make an adjustment. Lol!

I have started fermenting some buds, and that process decarbs. They’re definitely more potent, but fermentation adds a new level of euphoria.

Thanks for this discussion stoneotter. It helped me see a way to increasing the potency of the buds I have on hand. :hug:

As they cure the buds naturally shrink into themselves. It’s not related to the moisture levels, for as you point out, the Boveda keeps them stable. This is natural settling, the same thing that happens to all matter when it sits in one spot indefinitely.

They’re simply compressing, but as they do so the THCa is also converting. Your theory about concentration has merit, but the potency aspect really has more to do with the loss of those carbon atoms, which is a function of time.

On top of that is the matter that no one yet understands - why do we get higher on cannabis that’s already been decarbed? I discovered this by accident a while back, and a couple other members checked it themselves and found it to be true, but we never went any further with it.

Try it sometime. Decarb a small amount and do your own comparison. As I write that I realize that I myself haven’t been decarbing the bud I smoke. :eek: Gonna have to make an adjustment. Lol!

I have started fermenting some buds, and that process decarbs. They’re definitely more potent, but fermentation adds a new level of euphoria.

Thanks for this discussion stoneotter. It helped me see a way to increasing the potency of the buds I have on hand. :hug:
All of this is interesting and new to me. Having fun learning about all this. You have advanced knowledge of things I wouldn't have thought of. Higher on decarbed huh? The cob thing is super curious to me too. If that's what you mean with fermentation. Was reading yesterday and can't wait to give it a go.

All of this is interesting and new to me. Having fun learning about all this. You have advanced knowledge of things I wouldn't have thought of. Higher on decarbed huh? The cob thing is super curious to me too. If that's what you mean with fermentation. Was reading yesterday and can't wait to give it a go.

Yep, cobs are a fermentation process that caught us a little off guard. Lol! As we go along we find ourselves cobbing more and more of our harvests. Not only does it increase potency in some apparently magical way it also makes the product so smooth to smoke that it’ll surprise you.

Yep, cobs are a fermentation process that caught us a little off guard. Lol! As we go along we find ourselves cobbing more and more of our harvests. Not only does it increase potency in some apparently magical way it also makes the product so smooth to smoke that it’ll surprise you.
I'm excited to give it a go at first opportunity. A month or so. Corn's in season here now. I'll have to try and put some wrappers up to dry.

Back
Top Bottom