420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Justin Goody

Wasn't there something in the GF instructions about not letting them get as dry as we do with synthetics? I may be misremembering though.

I found this from a quick search:

I think @Virgin Ground mentioned it as well...
Thanks Shed, that's definitely good to remember.
There's a noticeable difference so far in how much water the GF fed plant uses vs MC fed plants (right next door). I'm guilty of feeding them pretty much every day just out of habit. This GSC has taken a bit more attention than that, but she's getting going ok. I've seen worse looking 24 day old plants ;) I feel like autos have spoiled me a bit...While some others find them harder to grow, I find they do exactly as I want. Photos seem so touchy now lol

Thanks Shed, that's definitely good to remember.
There's a noticeable difference so far in how much water the GF fed plant uses vs MC fed plants (right next door). I'm guilty of feeding them pretty much every day just out of habit. This GSC has taken a bit more attention than that, but she's getting going ok. I've seen worse looking 24 day old plants ;) I feel like autos have spoiled me a bit...While some others find them harder to grow, I find they do exactly as I want. Photos seem so touchy now lol
I totally agree Justin. After growing autos for the last year I am intimated (and a really new grower) by the photoperiod plants. If WSE had offered GSC autos I would have jumped all over that.....and I’m thinking I may throw my hat in for the comparative grow just to get outside of my comfort zone.

I totally agree Justin. After growing autos for the last year I am intimidated (and a really new grower) by the photoperiod plants. If WSE had offered GSC autos I would have jumped all over that.....and I’m thinking I may throw my hat in for the comparative grow just to get outside of my comfort zone.
I'm kind of there with ya. New light, new nutes, new seeds (in solo cups)- it's totally out of my comfort zone. And I've been growing photos since the 90's!
Actually, just growing from seed can be intimidating after making my own clones for many years. I'm surprised I've had the luck I have this past year, especially watching struggles sprouting coming from growers of all levels here.
I had the pleasure of growing the auto version of this, so in a way this is a personal comparative grow as well.
This one just seems slow after growing autos. I have no doubt she will be amazing and grow just fine, but it will come with quite a bit of learning experience.
Look at the bright side- this could be some of the best weed we have ever grown, and we just don't know it yet. We can always go back to autos next time ;) For now I'm sure you're going to grow a killer plant!

I didn't realize I fell so far behind here. Which means I fell behind on your other journals too. I hope you've been well Justin, and in case you haven't heard it in a while, thanks for doing all you do around here. Great job!
Thanks Mr S.
You haven’t missed much ;)
Thanks for all you do too, and I hope things are going your way. I know your plants are real beauties!

Thanks for all you do too, and I hope things are going your way. I know your plants are real beauties!
Things are going good. My job has taken up lots of my time, but it's something I really enjoy. Thanks again Justin!

I totally agree Justin. After growing autos for the last year I am intimated (and a really new grower) by the photoperiod plants. If WSE had offered GSC autos I would have jumped all over that.....and I’m thinking I may throw my hat in for the comparative grow just to get outside of my comfort zone.

I hear you on growing photos after autos. My DDA1 is almost done but I just put my photos into flower. It is a long growing period but I actually am getting to like it as I'm much more relaxed this round. Because their growth cycle is so long, I don't have to be right on top of the whole grow all the time. I usually only have to water 2 or 3 plants each time I water.

Anyhow, other than the length of a photo's cycle, I think I like growing photos. And, just an FYI - GSC isn't a particularly tall plant due to its indica-dominant species so growing it indoors shouldn't be an issue.

GSC isn't a particularly tall plant due to its indica-dominant species so growing it indoors shouldn't be an issue.
The last GSC I grew (auto) was pretty tall for an indica.
21B84975-7883-462C-8778-DC8D76CBB1E5.jpeg
Had some 20+ inch colas on her. While I don’t mind, those would be hitting the roof in here!

She’s starting to look like she should, not fast but healthy growth.
70B6C8B2-A30C-43CA-8914-E5F4CAFE663D.jpeg

Finally getting some tilt to her and looking like she’s thriving the proper way.
E6851B47-7330-440F-8867-D135D72FE428.jpeg
As for the runt, she still has her issues. She looks overwatered but definitely isn’t. Hoping for a real turnaround soon.
Happy Friday, growers!

Its Friday? Ok, then looking good Justin!
Rooting for the runt :goodluck:
Any way I have to agree with your assessment of cookies not being a short indica dominant species. Both the "Cali Connect" and "Big Bud Depot" cookies i grew tall lanky girls. Even after topping. They grew over 5.5 feet indoors. Some were 6 and 7 feet tall. A lot of super cropping had to be done!
Have fun!

Ok! So last night, our healthy girl started to look dry and a tiny bit weepy. Despite the weight of the pot making it feel like there was plenty of moisture, she was drying out.
This morning, she’s a whole new plant...
BA1A0371-1C38-450D-B8EF-7222B83FA455.jpeg

I was hell bent on not overwatering, but as @InTheShed pointed out (correctly) it doesn’t need to get as dry as the old nutes before watering.
Now I feel a bit more confident in the nutes, and just with the plant overall. At least one of them ;)

I’m scratching my head here Justin. I’m a 1st time grower with the auto strains and have Gorilla Glue in 5gal soil pots. Would you give your first feeding of Geoflora veg nutes to the 14 day auto strains a full dose as recommended by the manufacturer?

I’m scratching my head here Justin. I’m a 1st time grower with the auto strains and have Gorilla Glue in 5gal soil pots. Would you give your first feeding of Geoflora veg nutes to the 14 day auto strains a full dose as recommended by the manufacturer?
I'm new too my 1st indoor grow about done. I started an outdoor grow using Geoflora. I used 1/2 strength to be cautious see how they react

I'm new too my 1st indoor grow about done. I started an outdoor grow using Geoflora. I used 1/2 strength to be cautious see how they react
This soil was amended before planting with 5 oz (1 oz per gallon of soil) of geoflora grow.
Then early this week, I top dressed with another 5 oz.
It was a bit of a leap to feed full strength using new nutes, but others like @Emilya @Carcass and @Grand Daddy Black have blazed the trail and already shown success at higher levels.
I have used nutes where the plant seemed to prefer 1/2 dose, but this is a new way and I’m jumping in.

This soil was amended before planting with 5 oz (1 oz per gallon of soil) of geoflora grow.
Then early this week, I top dressed with another 5 oz.
It was a bit of a leap to feed full strength using new nutes, but others like @Emilya @Carcass and @Grand Daddy Black have blazed the trail and already shown success at higher levels.
I have used nutes where the plant seemed to prefer 1/2 dose, but this is a new way and I’m jumping in.
I'll follow the leaders on this one

Please do not think of Geoflora as traditional nutes, where you might overdose by them. Geoflora is raw nutrient that is mostly not available to the plant, so it would be impossible to overdose or burn your plants by giving a full dose. Also coming in with the geoflora are the microbes that are cultured specifically to deal with those raw nutrients, and it is probably impossible to have too many microbes.

That being said, I first condition the soil in my solo cups by using a tsp of geoflora veg, before ever adding any seeds to them. This gets the nutrients in place and the microbes already working, so the feeding cycle is going strong right from the start. From there, I will give the second dose at the two week point, and I keep that schedule going till the end of the grow. Using geoflora, I have no worries about burning my plants.

Please do not think of Geoflora as traditional nutes, where you might overdose by them. Geoflora is raw nutrient that is mostly not available to the plant, so it would be impossible to overdose or burn your plants by giving a full dose. Also coming in with the geoflora are the microbes that are cultured specifically to deal with those raw nutrients, and it is probably impossible to have too many microbes.

That being said, I first condition the soil in my solo cups by using a tsp of geoflora veg, before ever adding any seeds to them. This gets the nutrients in place and the microbes already working, so the feeding cycle is going strong right from the start. From there, I will give the second dose at the two week point, and I keep that schedule going till the end of the grow. Using geoflora, I have no worries about burning my plants.
Such great advice, all this has made me feel much more comfortable. Thank you

I used soil amended 30 days prior with Geoflora Veg in the solo cups, then top dressed with 1 tsp. as soon as the sprouts popped out of the ground...no complaints from the seedlings, in fact, the cups seemed to fill with roots faster than usual.
Then when I top dressed both plants in their final pots, I used 1.5 times the amount of Geoflora that I was supposed to use (accidentally, read the chart wrong) and neither plant is showing any negative effects after
10 days- in fact they're both doing very well so far.
I'm really liking the Geoflora nutes so far...no downside, at least not yet...

I used soil amended 30 days prior with Geoflora Veg in the solo cups, then top dressed with 1 tsp. as soon as the sprouts popped out of the ground...no complaints from the seedlings, in fact, the cups seemed to fill with roots faster than usual.
Then when I top dressed both plants in their final pots, I used 1.5 times the amount of Geoflora that I was supposed to use (accidentally, read the chart wrong) and neither plant is showing any negative effects after
10 days- in fact they're both doing very well so far.
I'm really liking the Geoflora nutes so far...no downside, at least not yet...
Wow! I hope I get just a portion of the success your all sharing here.
Do you have a journal to follow this grow?

Back
Top Bottom