420's Perfect Sun Led Goliath V2 Sponsor Grow Purple Punch Clones Hydro Flood & Drain

Lol! Sorry for the distraction.
No distraction. I’ve been reluctant to bump my DLI but reading your comments and the comments from @West Hippie, I’ve upped the output of my light more than I would have. Some parts of the canopy will get a DLI of 46. Not as high as you folks are going but my plants are stable for the first time since they got in the res and I don’t want to upset the apple cart. :yahoo:

"OK, where’s the dimmer switch?”

No distraction. I’ve been reluctant to bump my DLI but reading your comments and the comments from @West Hippie, I’ve upped the output of my light more than I would have. Some parts of the canopy will get a DLI of 46. Not as high as you folks are going but my plants are stable for the first time since they got in the res and I don’t want to upset the apple cart. :yahoo:

You gotta go where you're comfortable, not just for the plants but for you. I get it. I didn't begin like this. It took me a while to realize what they can take and actually thirst for. Try using your app on the sun sometime. I can use Phototone to measure actual sunlight, it has a setting for that (the only one that isn't $5 to open, lol). The par is so high it's off the charts, ie, can't be measured by the app. It just says >3000. Lmao. But that sort of got me thinking about it so I did a bunch of research and have now come to this. My autos in the outdoor rig in my outdoor journal are under a 420h and 2 blurples. Almost 900 watts raining on them. They're at about 1250 cuz the Gelato is taller by far than the others. They don't show any signs of anything but loving it. I even let my seeds sprout into a lot of light. Like 400 par. They love it. Just sayin, for what it's worth.

You gotta go where you're comfortable, not just for the plants but for you. I get it. I didn't begin like this. It took me a while to realize what they can take and actually thirst for.
Agree. That’s that “experience" thing. It will be interesting to see how the plants to at higher light levels but there’s also the fact that I’m not using CO2 so I can’t get the max out of the set up. OTOH, I live in Orange County SoCal so I’ll bet that CO2 is a higher here than in most places.

Try using your app on the sun sometime. I can use Phototone to measure actual sunlight, it has a setting for that (the only one that isn't $5 to open, lol). The par is so high it's off the charts, ie, can't be measured by the app. It just says >3000. Lmao.
Just did that. It’s reading 1630 - early November and 3:30 PM so there’s plenty of PAR. Wish I could pipe it into my garage. The MQ-500 sensor it good to 4000µmols according to their website. That’s high noon on a clear summer day in Yuma.

But that sort of got me thinking about it so I did a bunch of research and have now come to this. My autos in the outdoor rig in my outdoor journal are under a 420h and 2 blurples. Almost 900 watts raining on them. They're at about 1250 cuz the Gelato is taller by far than the others. They don't show any signs of anything but loving it. I even let my seeds sprout into a lot of light. Like 400 par. They love it. Just sayin, for what it's worth.
Thanks for the info. I’ll see how things are going in the AM.

Agree. That’s that “experience" thing. It will be interesting to see how the plants to at higher light levels but there’s also the fact that I’m not using CO2 so I can’t get the max out of the set up. OTOH, I live in Orange County SoCal so I’ll bet that CO2 is a higher here than in most places.

Just did that. It’s reading 1630 - early November and 3:30 PM so there’s plenty of PAR. Wish I could pipe it into my garage. The MQ-500 sensor it good to 4000µmols according to their website. That’s high noon on a clear summer day in Yuma.

Thanks for the info. I’ll see how things are going in the AM.
Interesting how our almost opposite end of the country geographies and the sun make a difference in our sunlight par readings. I tested mine at noon on a late summer day in SW Florida with no clouds. Maybe that's why it registered so much higher than the 1650 you get at 3:30 pm in Yuma. Kinda makes me wish I had my same outdoor grow but lived in Hawaii.

I first got dropping my 1000 watt hps from @snowbound to 10” . When the grow was over I had 940 grams of rock hard buds of 3 white widow and a dosidos that hid from the light as much as it could. And yes I took a couple hits off the dosidos and that’s enough.
No dimmer on this light have been using the lux . I was too close in veg my nodes are so close it’s was hard to lollipop !

Interesting how our almost opposite end of the country geographies and the sun make a difference in our sunlight par readings. I tested mine at noon on a late summer day in SW Florida with no clouds. Maybe that's why it registered so much higher than the 1650 you get at 3:30 pm in Yuma. Kinda makes me wish I had my same outdoor grow but lived in Hawaii.
I've been to Yuma but I'm in SoCal.

4000µmols would have to be in the tropics - Yuma's sunny but not that sunny.

Another issue is air quality. Your air in FL is much more clear than it will "ever" be here on SoCal. I wasn't here back in the 1970's but I know someone who lived in Portland as a child and they used to visit family near the mountains east of LA. The air in LA was so bad that it wasn't until he moved to SoCal that he actually saw the mountains!

The air is much better now but I don't recall every actually seeing air until I moved to NorCal about 20 years ago.

Hawaii - great climate for cannabis but still not legal there. What are they waiting for?

From this link, it looks like PPFD from the sun will max at 1970 µmols.

I first got dropping my 1000 watt hps from @snowbound to 10” . When the grow was over I had 940 grams of rock had buds of 3 white widow and a dosidos that hid from the light as much as it could. And yes I took a couple hits off the dosidos and that’s enough.
No dimmer on this light have been using the lux . I was too close in veg my nodes are so close it’s was hard to lollipop !
Good to hear. Dr Bugbee always talks about pouring on the light. Two pounds of primo - sounds like you nailed it!

I've been to Yuma but I'm in SoCal.

4000µmols would have to be in the tropics - Yuma's sunny but not that sunny.

Another issue is air quality. Your air in FL is much more clear than it will "ever" be here on SoCal. I wasn't here back in the 1970's but I know someone who lived in Portland as a child and they used to visit family near the mountains east of LA. The air in LA was so bad that it wasn't until he moved to SoCal that he actually saw the mountains!

The air is much better now but I don't recall every actually seeing air until I moved to NorCal about 20 years ago.

Hawaii - great climate for cannabis but still not legal there. What are they waiting for?

From this link, it looks like PPFD from the sun will max at 1970 µmols.
Interesting. I'll have to measure it again tomorrow now that you say that. I got the app and it was the first thing I did, so maybe that was cuz I hadn't figured out the diffuser and all that yet. I'll check back on this post with that tomorrow cuz now you got me really curious. Thanks for the link.

Interesting. I'll have to measure it again tomorrow now that you say that. I got the app and it was the first thing I did, so maybe that was cuz I hadn't figured out the diffuser and all that yet. I'll check back on this post with that tomorrow cuz now you got me really curious. Thanks for the link.
Jon:

The diffuser was what threw me. Rather than create a loop of paper, my approach was to cut off the corner of an envelope, put that piece on top of my iPhone, wrap the free end around the phone, wrap the free end of the piece of the envelope back onto the body of the envelope, and then tap the free end with electrical tape. An envelope is a 24# paper so it's slightly heavier than most people use for printing (20#).

It's easier done than said. :)

I've attached a chart that the programmer for Photone sent me back in March. He wrote:
"Thanks for the details on your iPhone. Attached you can find the measurement characteristic for your XS Max in a range from around 200 lux to 125kLux after the linearization that we perform. The blue dots are the measurement samples, the dotted line is a perfectly linear transfer function. What the calibration (and paper thickness / translucency) does is shifting the samples on the y-axis."

Per his comment, the thickness of the paper will change where the points lie along the Y axis but the overall fit of their samples vs the linear curve won't change. The curve fit will vary from phone to phone but they can tweak the software for any given sensor. Software - is there anything it can't do? ;-)

unnamed.png

Jon:

The diffuser was what threw me. Rather than create a loop of paper, my approach was to cut off the corner of an envelope, put that piece on top of my iPhone, wrap the free end around the phone, wrap the free end of the piece of the envelope back onto the body of the envelope, and then tap the free end with electrical tape. An envelope is a 24# paper so it's slightly heavier than most people use for printing (20#).

It's easier done than said. :)
:rofl: I also overcomplicated the crap out of it. I couldn't comprehend something as easy as "wrap a piece of paper around your lenses." It just seemed like, really, that's it? Can't be that simple and non-technological. I must be misunderstanding. Lmao.

:rofl: I also overcomplicated the crap out of it. I couldn't comprehend something as easy as "wrap a piece of paper around your lenses." It just seemed like, really, that's it? Can't be that simple and non-technological. I must be misunderstanding. Lmao.
"I also overcomplicated the crap out of it" - unlike anyone else here! :)

No, it's "that simple" - I've been writing software for a living for just over 30 years and thing that I've seen along the way is that one characteristic of a good app is that it's completely forgettable — it works how you want to work and lets you get things done easily.

I tested Photone back in March and it was pretty much that way. Turn it on, get the readings, and you're done. Definitely worth the price!

"I also overcomplicated the crap out of it" - unlike anyone else here! :)

No, it's "that simple" - I've been writing software for a living for just over 30 years and thing that I've seen along the way is that one characteristic of a good app is that it's completely forgettable — it works how you want to work and lets you get things done easily.

I tested Photone back in March and it was pretty much that way. Turn it on, get the readings, and you're done. Definitely worth the price!
Hey it sounds like you've done a lot more research than I have on this. You say you tested Phototone and seemed to think it was okay, yet you don't use it. Do you think the one you use is more accurate? Cuz I want as accurate as possible and if you've done comparative research on these kinds of apps before settling on what you have, I suspect you have one of the best available.

Hey it sounds like you've done a lot more research than I have on this. You say you tested Phototone and seemed to think it was okay, yet you don't use it. Do you think the one you use is more accurate? Cuz I want as accurate as possible and if you've done comparative research on these kinds of apps before settling on what you have, I suspect you have one of the best available.
My PAR meter is an Apogee MQ-500. I bought the kit with the wand and then bought the case from Apogee. All told, it was a bit over $600 for the setup.

My PAR meter is an Apogee MQ-500. I bought the kit with the wand and then bought the case from Apogee. All told, it was a bit over $600 for the setup.
LMAO. I apologize for asking if you thought yours was more accurate. OMG that's so fricking funny. You have the mother of all testers. My GOD. I WISH I could afford that kind of coin for a light meter. GOOD FOR YOU MAN!!!!

I couldn't find a jealous emoji, but it's here.

LMAO. I apologize for asking if you thought yours was more accurate. OMG that's so fricking funny. You have the mother of all testers. My GOD. I WISH I could afford that kind of coin for a light meter. GOOD FOR YOU MAN!!!!

I couldn't find a jealous emoji, but it's here.

It's a good tool but "A fool with a tool is still a fool". Per Dr. Bugbee, light is one of nine variables that make up the growing environment. His bent is that it's the most important and, fortunately, one of the easiest to control. That's one of the reasons why I went with Apogee. It allows me to pretty much remove the the variable of light intensity out of the growing equation. I say "pretty much" because, despite the hefty price tag, Apogee states that it is only accurate to ±5%.

It's a good tool but "A fool with a tool is still a fool". Per Dr. Bugbee, light is one of nine variables that make up the growing environment. His bent is that it's the most important and, fortunately, one of the easiest to control. That's one of the reasons why I went with Apogee. It allows me to pretty much remove the the variable of light intensity out of the growing equation. I say "pretty much" because, despite the hefty price tag, Apogee states that it is only accurate to ±5%.
Lol. That's just Apogee covering their butts. It's way more accurate than that. I know it well. Most of the test vids you see use it to test their tents. I agree 100% with Dr. Bugbee, it's by far the most important factor. Thanks for the info. I'll stop the distraction from the journal now. Sorry, I get a bit carried away talking light.

Lol. That's just Apogee covering their butts. It's way more accurate than that. I know it well. Most of the test vids you see use it to test their tents. I agree 100% with Dr. Bugbee, it's by far the most important factor. Thanks for the info. I'll stop the distraction from the journal now. Sorry, I get a bit carried away talking light.
Good point about covering their butts. It's not like people aren't going to buy it because it could be 5% off.

"'ll stop the distraction from the journal now." - just poked my nose in the tent and I might have mold. After the ph/CalMag issue that started when I put the seedlings in the res, I'm "running out of cope".

"Sorry, I get a bit carried away talking light."
LOL - not me though! ;-)

The best reference site I've found for PPFD is ppfdcharts.com but cocoforcannabis.com has info that's corroborated elsewhere so that's big positive. I'd like to read discussion of spectrum, pros and cons. Bugbee discusses it a fair amount but when the discussion got to the value of green light, he skated over that like Gretzky.

Kind sells an adjustable spectrum light but I'm not all that keen on that brand. Growcraft sells lights with a "veg" spectrum vs a "full cycle" spectrum but I haven't run across others in my travels.

[edit]
Another site where I'm active is re. motorcycles. Now that the winter is approaching they're discussing what type of oil is the best to use! So, yeh, dive into the minutiae of LEDs; no worries here!

[edit]
Now they're talking about calibrating torque wrenches. I don't know that I can handle that level of excitement. Quick…play Bugbee. That'll hold them off!

Sorry everyone for not catching up here since Saturday. Lost my friend and neighbor that guided me into the world of true growing. When the wife first had gotten cancer he was there and grew weed to help her pain . Doctors thought they had it but came back later and I was already listening to Country Hippie growing my own for mama . Mama has been clear for over 1-1/2 now hope it stays that way cause she smokes like a freight train. Back to Country Hippie he’s helped so many soldiers stay on track I know what there going to do and that’s keep doing what he taught them ! Like he said he’d been on the form but they have too much to lose if caught . He had my password and I’d catch him in conversation with most all of you I’m not as talkative as he was . Questions I’d come up with he’d be asking, just the way he was take charge . When the OG Kush made one of his soldiers got a tingle in his leg from the first hit off he went jumping in the doctors ass . He still can’t walk but he loves to kick the shit out of anybody that walks by with a big smile on his face . He has a wonderful wife , he was married five times before he found the right one 31 years now . He’s 74 and getting buried in his home town in Arkansas instead of Texas don’t know when yet he was in DC waiting on Veterans Day Thursday. His favorite song was Millionaire by Chris Stapleton if the song came he couldn’t sit down he’d grab his wife and off they went dancing. He had 1 son and 2 step children he treated as his own . Got my hands full at the moment fixing to post the grows .

11/08/21 Day
TDS 593 ppm was 717 ppm Falling
Water temp 73.8
Water level down 5-1/2 gallons Falling
Ph 6.2 Static from yesterday’s adjustment

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss West. I've heard you speak of him before, and I have had nothing but the highest respect for him.
Please give my sincere condolences, for his family, your family and the community that he helped so much.
:hug:

Back
Top Bottom