600W MH/HPS - Atomic Bomb - 1st Grow

Thank you so much for the quick reply and calming reassuring comments lol. I'll let them dry out, I was just reading a thread telling me almost word for word what you just explained. I'll go do my "chores" now and try to forget about me for a bit as the soil is indeed damp. I posted the longest root tip but I can get the other five soon. I also just saw people suspending their smart pots via netting, cooling racks, etc. figured I might give that a whirl. Thanks again!

Thank you so much for the quick reply and calming reassuring comments lol. I'll let them dry out, I was just reading a thread telling me almost word for word what you just explained. I'll go do my "chores" now and try to forget about me for a bit as the soil is indeed damp. I posted the longest root tip but I can get the other five soon. I also just saw people suspending their smart pots via netting, cooling racks, etc. figured I might give that a whirl. Thanks again!
We like to put our pots in the clear runoff collection trays. They are cheap and (for now) still at the local big box hardware stores near us. They are reusable and work wonders for bottom feeding.

Quick question. At the bottom of this post there will be a curved arrow. If you push that it quotes my post, like I did with yours. If you do that, I get a notification that you quoted me. That let's me know you/we are still carrying on a conversation. I'm a stoner and am a bit forgetful, so it's great when I get quotes so I can respond. Lol. Does that make sense?

We like to put our pots in the clear runoff collection trays. They are cheap and (for now) still at the local big box hardware stores near us. They are reusable and work wonders for bottom feeding.

Quick question. At the bottom of this post there will be a curved arrow. If you push that it quotes my post, like I did with yours. If you do that, I get a notification that you quoted me. That let's me know you/we are still carrying on a conversation. I'm a stoner and am a bit forgetful, so it's great when I get quotes so I can respond. Lol. Does that make sense?

I think I got, thanks! Hehe sorry bout that. As always, I appreciate all the great advice

So do you think suspending the pots would be overkill? Also should I trim the roots that are coming out of the pot more than a 1/4"? I'll post more pictures. I think I will up to #7 pots before I flip to flower. Thank you!!

Hey Greenchef, awesome journal bud! Your plants look da bomb! I can just imagine them all grown up. Gonna have some dense buds. I'm rocking the 600w mh/hps also and I've been really pleased with mine so far. I wouldn't stress about those roots sticking out though. I'd just chop them off if they're a good size. As for watering. I've been trying to let my soil dry out more so the roots will stretch for water. But I usually wait until the pot feels a little heavier than the air or close to air feeling. Then I water fairly slow and take short breaks to let all the water soak up. But the best way to know you're not under watering is to water until there is a small pool of runoff. Then just toss the runoff. Your girls seem very happy in their 5gal homes! Keep up the great work.

Where are you growing your plants though? I didn't see any info in the beginning description and I'm super curious haha.

Hey Greenchef, awesome journal bud! Your plants look da bomb! I can just imagine them all grown up. Gonna have some dense buds. I'm rocking the 600w mh/hps also and I've been really pleased with mine so far. I wouldn't stress about those roots sticking out though. I'd just chop them off if they're a good size. As for watering. I've been trying to let my soil dry out more so the roots will stretch for water. But I usually wait until the pot feels a little heavier than the air or close to air feeling. Then I water fairly slow and take short breaks to let all the water soak up. But the best way to know you're not under watering is to water until there is a small pool of runoff. Then just toss the runoff. Your girls seem very happy in their 5gal homes! Keep up the great work.

Where are you growing your plants though? I didn't see any info in the beginning description and I'm super curious haha.

Thanks for the knowledge! I'm just letting them do their thing right now and dry up and I'll trim those little buggers off the bottom. They are currently in a basement. The mrs. Won't let me say much more than that just due to paranoia reasons. Living in the beautiful state of colorado! :)

IMG_329112.JPG
IMG_329016.JPG
IMG_328914.JPG
IMG_328812.JPG

Does anyone else use bubblers/airstones while sitting tap water out over night? And hopefully the pictures show up , leaves showing some rust spotting, not sure if I have a mag deficiency (might grab some cal mag to be safe) or a number of things due to the ph still around 6.7 trying to get it down on the next watering to 6.0-6.3 thanks to your alls advice. quite bored due to the broken toe dreaming of harvest haha. Have a good one everybody.

:nomo::lot-o-toke:

Very nice start to your journal! Your plants look green and happy. Roots out the bottom of those pots is a good thing...means you have the root system to support some big pants :) Only thing I would suggest is covering the soil with a layer of perlite or sand to keep critters from nesting...especially in a basement. Will help keep nasties like fungus gnats and thrips from setting up house. I incorporated soil into my coco for my last grow to add some organic food, and the perlite layer stopped the little flyers I would see when I played in the tent.

As to cooking barefoot, I am familiar with the risks. Once dropped a cutco chef's knife and it ended up stuck in the floor touching the side of my foot...I still do it regularly, but Im a tad more careful..especially with that particular knife. It has managed to cut every family member and most of our extended network of holiday sous chefs. I think its cursed.

:peacetwo:

Very nice start to your journal! Your plants look green and happy. Roots out the bottom of those pots is a good thing...means you have the root system to support some big pants :) Only thing I would suggest is covering the soil with a layer of perlite or sand to keep critters from nesting...especially in a basement. Will help keep nasties like fungus gnats and thrips from setting up house. I incorporated soil into my coco for my last grow to add some organic food, and the perlite layer stopped the little flyers I would see when I played in the tent.

As to cooking barefoot, I am familiar with the risks. Once dropped a cutco chef's knife and it ended up stuck in the floor touching the side of my foot...I still do it regularly, but Im a tad more careful..especially with that particular knife. It has managed to cut every family member and most of our extended network of holiday sous chefs. I think its cursed.

:peacetwo:
Hey thanks mouser I appreciate all the good words. I'll look into that perlite idea thank you! You can be in the kitchen your whole life, and it's still gonna bite ya at some point. Lol

The little ladies already have quite the pungent aroma lingering around them :circle-of-love:

everything looks great here chef. Your girls look very healthy and happy. Little yellow spots could be from ph but it doesn't look bad. Keep an eye just to make sure it wont get worst.

:goodjob:

Hey gyftobill, thank you! I was hoping it was ph related, should have that dialed in very soon. Hoping for some more vigorious growth once I get to that point as well. Anyways, thanks for stopping by!

Have some grand daddy purp :passitleft:

10/11: Alright everybody we are exactly one month from when I germinated the beans. Topping as soon as I have rockwool/dome/heating pad. I have rooting gel and rapid start I got as freebees, so that I can attempt to clone the cuttings :) all is well in the kitchen.

IMG_332416.JPG
IMG_332513.JPG
IMG_332613.JPG
IMG_332814.JPG
IMG_332914.JPG
IMG_333011.JPG
IMG_333113.JPG
IMG_333212.JPG
IMG_333312.JPG
IMG_333411.JPG

10/11: Alright everybody we are exactly one month from when I germinated the beans. Topping as soon as I have rockwool/dome/heating pad. I have rooting gel and rapid start I got as freebees, so that I can attempt to clone the cuttings :) all is well in the kitchen.

IMG_332416.JPG
IMG_332513.JPG
IMG_332613.JPG
IMG_332814.JPG
IMG_332914.JPG
IMG_333011.JPG
IMG_333113.JPG
IMG_333212.JPG
IMG_333312.JPG
IMG_333411.JPG
I honestly don't think your girls are big enough to clone. If my memory serves me, you want the top set of leaves and the next full set below it in order to properly clone it. Please make sure sometime else chimes in before you top them for clones.

Usually when we top a plant, we take the newest set of leaves. We like then to be the 4th set of true leaves. (The leaves that form when the seed sprouts don't count) I let nis do it because I always take too much that the 2 new tops never grow and we are left with a nub and fans, no tops. Talk to Nis. He would know what to do better than I.

For clones you need to have 2 full sets of leaves. In the second to last picture you put up, you would cut it at the 4" Mark to do it properly. Then you would have successfully topped it and created a clone. We did that to our OG Kush a few months ago and it worked beautifully.

After you take the cutting, make sure it gets into water to "seal" the cut. Air could get up into her veins and that's not good. Then cut a 1/4" - 1/2" off of the tips of the fan leaves to "damage" them so that the clone doesn't focus on growth up top and forces all new growth to making roots. Once you have roots, new growth will start. Make sure the Rockwool is wet to begin with, cut stem on a 45 degree angle for more rooting surface area, apply rooting gel and plop her in the rockwool. Keep humidity in the dome between 75% - 90% and you should have roots in 10-14 days.

We purchased an aero cloner and with that we have had 100% success with it. Took a branch and cut it in half so it didn't have a top or anything and it rooted. Best $50 investment for cloning. We had roots in less than a week. So that may be something you could look into. :thumb:

Oh and the GDP looks awesome. :passitleft: it even smokes good. Thanks.

For clones you need to have 2 full sets of leaves. In the second to last picture you put up, you would cut it at the 4" Mark to do it properly. Then you would have successfully topped it and created a clone. We did that to our OG Kush a few months ago and it worked beautifully.

After you take the cutting, make sure it gets into water to "seal" the cut. Air could get up into her veins and that's not good. Then cut a 1/4" - 1/2" off of the tips of the fan leaves to "damage" them so that the clone doesn't focus on growth up top and forces all new growth to making roots. Once you have roots, new growth will start. Make sure the Rockwool is wet to begin with, cut stem on a 45 degree angle for more rooting surface area, apply rooting gel and plop her in the rockwool. Keep humidity in the dome between 75% - 90% and you should have roots in 10-14 days.

We purchased an aero cloner and with that we have had 100% success with it. Took a branch and cut it in half so it didn't have a top or anything and it rooted. Best $50 investment for cloning. We had roots in less than a week. So that may be something you could look into. :thumb:

Oh and the GDP looks awesome. :passitleft: it even smokes good. Thanks.

Thank you so much man! I'm going to re-read all of this when I get off work. You all are the best.

Back
Top Bottom