8+ years growing still not 100%

indochronic

So from the title u can see iv tryed alot of different things over the years lol. The reason im making this is because of black ash mainly and me thinking its was just todo with flushing and 'ud be ok'. but thats not the case. so last grow i didnt feed a couple plants at all, A wedding cake and a Northeren lights. and pic of the ash is below. Now the NL has a nice Appley/Forest kinda smell and the WC is just a very light sweet/sugary smell with a hint of green/deadish smell. The WC i grew awhile back that i DID feed, is more frosty, dence and bigger nugs But still just a light sugary smell with also a lil hint of green.
And the tase of all the above is Mehh. get u high etc but.. i think the highs different because of lack of terps, so im basically living a lie LoL :laugh:

Its weird cause my hydro and soil plants are very similar apart from hydros bigger all around.
So my soil is part sand added perlite and some other good stuff not much added apart from some powder food for the soil.
Something i dont do when it comes to growing but use to starting off is PH-ing my water. I use to use rain for a while then i realized its a 5.5PH in my area and my tap witch i use all the time is roughly 7.5 maby more towards 8 PH (havent checked in a while)
So im going to buy new nutes soon because im out
and was looking for one that someone uses with no problems ? iv been mixing my own veg nutes and brewing teas but flowers a lil more demanding. I was looking at some Advanced Nutrients and GHE , general organics i believe, names are confusing.
GHE do a Terra Aquatica witch is there new name pretty much, (in EU anyway) and they have a Hard water and Soft water mix witch could be good for both soil and hydro.

Anyway so my point about the burning, flavour and white ash is when i grow outdoor i never 'flush' just kinda stop feeding but the soil would have plenty of stuff going on anyway and outdoor always turns out smellier, generally burns well and taste can be good/ better then indoor if looked after well. for example i gave a friend who never grew before a seed i made from random male and female (so unstable genes etc. small buds, weaker steams..) And he grew it in a 15-18 liter pot ouitdoor and it was better then all mine Terp. wise anyway and no special things were done aka. flushing or PH-ing.
It burnt well, i cant remeber the ash but it wasnt white white but a very light grey as far as i remember and a punch of fresh lemon/citurs smell, the Thc was probably like 11-15% the high was light, but id have that all day over 25-30% with no terps.
Outdoors is good but the sun in my country isent great and other small reasons lol.

So after all that, if anyone has White Ash Every Grow, let me know whats up. Lets try fix one thing at a time
And just remebered this witch is weird to me but Autoflowers come out with more smell and flavour, EG. the Banana Kush Cake Auto my most recent.. Looks, smells and grinds well, But does not burn well, witch could be effecting the taste witch isent the strongest or weakest anyway. And one of the nicest all around plant i grew was a Auto Blackberry Kush afew years back, i remeber it becuse it tasted great and pretty much like berry :)
Happy Summer growing yall
:hippy:
IMG_4338.JPG

It sounds like you need to concentrate more on the drying and curing phase. No matter what you do in the grow, what nutrients you use, or how much you "flush" if you don't dry and cure correctly the bud will not burn well or taste good.

How do you dry and cure your bud?

Sorry for the ^^jibber jabber ^^ in advance LoL
No need to be apologetic, if anything, others sometime don't give enough info.

I think LKABudMan is right on. Curing and drying is a must for a smooth smoke.

I found out this past season that a slow drying is better than a fast one. An example is I use to dry with a fan blowing on the plant. I still use a fan but it never directly touch's the plant, just circulates the air in the room. Also when cutting the buds from the stem after drying, if they are sticky, then it's early, let the resins soak into the bud and not end up on your fingers.

Keep us abreast about how it's going and provide info on any improvements you find.

Thanks for the cool thread.

Mmm very rare to hear about the ash colouring after combustion... ye heard the comment once or twice but passed it of as old skool bro science with a touch of fuzzy logic over the years.

As mentioned some where above about the slow air dry, totally helps capturing the terpene profile in the bud along with a good cure stored at the right RH, I'm very happy that people are following the slow dry air method these days for a better taste :green_heart:

At times I like to medicate with a glass pipe but do vape as well.

So I do understand about ash, RH of product & how long it has been sitting around.

Once cured, storing at suitable RH / relative humidity of about 60% give or take a couple of % is pretty fine for terpene profile, how ever the grinded herb doe's dry out over a period of time if sitting around more than a few days effectively lowering the RH value of the herb leading to a more acrid taste this may varie depending on strain or method grown including nutrients or additives used.

My own experience :ganjamon:

Now smoking a small pipe like the above is flash heating & technical micro dosing with the pipe but I find some strains which are more heavy in resin tend to leave a more blackened ash, so that leads me to temperature of combustion or method.

If you like glass or vape for taste... ya know clean glass gives best taste same as vapes the taste changes with build of gunk, I may imagine it is the same for smoking a blunt down ?

Organic soil methods in general will have a better terpene profile over hydroponic methods but some nutrient brands do offer additives which may enhance flavour of end medical herb which you can try at your own leisure.

Some where in your own heart & over time:green_heart: you will find the time to pick through these ramblings to lead you in your own pursuit.

So after all that, if anyone has White Ash Every Grow, let me know whats up.
Nice looking roll in the photo in the first msg. As for the color of the ash there are several things that can cause the color. Someone posted a msg several years ago on just that point. The most important thing is how hot the coal or burning tip can get because of the amount of oxygen.

Normally, in my experience, it has to do with how dry the weed is when smoked. The drier the product, the lighter the ash. Totally agree that slow drying/curing is the key to getting good taste/smell out of your product.
Yes, how dry it is is the big thing.

I also get the feeling that the color of the ash can be influenced by how tight the joint is rolled. A nice loose roll with nicely dried weed tends to produce a white to gray ash. Pack it tight during the roll and the ash tends to show a dark gray, almost black color. That goes back to the amounts of oxygen.

Goodmorning Indo! So that was a long read. So you're question was about the color of ash after burning? :nomo:
GM Zephyrs, Yes thats the main thing simply because i hear people talk alot about it and i think its effecting taste when a weed doesnt burn fully atleast.
It sounds like you need to concentrate more on the drying and curing phase. No matter what you do in the grow, what nutrients you use, or how much you "flush" if you don't dry and cure correctly the bud will not burn well or taste good.

How do you dry and cure your bud?
Yes this is what i look closley on every time i do dry, i aim for 2 weeks with temps as cold as possible (8-15c ~ 46-60F) and a Humidity of 55-60 and darkness. It all depends on the time of year, i havent exactly got a AC'ed room but where i hang them gets some fresh air flow, ina door way next to outside pretty much.
No need to be apologetic, if anything, others sometime don't give enough info.

I think LKABudMan is right on. Curing and drying is a must for a smooth smoke.

I found out this past season that a slow drying is better than a fast one. An example is I use to dry with a fan blowing on the plant. I still use a fan but it never directly touch's the plant, just circulates the air in the room. Also when cutting the buds from the stem after drying, if they are sticky, then it's early, let the resins soak into the bud and not end up on your fingers.

Keep us abreast about how it's going and provide info on any improvements you find.

Thanks for the cool thread.

Thats more it for me, im more a practial person, show me once and ill get it from there :)
now thats where i could be messing up because when there 'dry' but still a tad sticky i jar them because i dont want them too dry and i let the week or 2 of burping even them out from a 68-70H to 58-62 depending on buds and strain.
Yes i will post here again and on my thread any major updates and results in the future:Namaste:
Mmm very rare to hear about the ash colouring after combustion... ye heard the comment once or twice but passed it of as old skool bro science with a touch of fuzzy logic over the years.

As mentioned some where above about the slow air dry, totally helps capturing the terpene profile in the bud along with a good cure stored at the right RH, I'm very happy that people are following the slow dry air method these days for a better taste :green_heart:

At times I like to medicate with a glass pipe but do vape as well.

So I do understand about ash, RH of product & how long it has been sitting around.

Once cured, storing at suitable RH / relative humidity of about 60% give or take a couple of % is pretty fine for terpene profile, how ever the grinded herb doe's dry out over a period of time if sitting around more than a few days effectively lowering the RH value of the herb leading to a more acrid taste this may varie depending on strain or method grown including nutrients or additives used.

My own experience :ganjamon:

Now smoking a small pipe like the above is flash heating & technical micro dosing with the pipe but I find some strains which are more heavy in resin tend to leave a more blackened ash, so that leads me to temperature of combustion or method.

If you like glass or vape for taste... ya know clean glass gives best taste same as vapes the taste changes with build of gunk, I may imagine it is the same for smoking a blunt down ?

Organic soil methods in general will have a better terpene profile over hydroponic methods but some nutrient brands do offer additives which may enhance flavour of end medical herb which you can try at your own leisure.

Some where in your own heart & over time:green_heart: you will find the time to pick through these ramblings to lead you in your own pursuit.

Maby i should leave them an extra day or 2 even when i think its dry and burp less. Yes always clean the bong and pipes for that full freshness, i use to have bongs more and remeber the 'extra taste' from them not being clean. But joints and blunts can have that towards the end OR some just get tastier depending :)
And i know for sure u have nice stuff if your smoking in a vape and pipe, they bring out most terps and plant qualitys when burning.
I hope so, alls i know is Mother Nature will always to a better job LoL :high-five:
Normally, in my experience, it has to do with how dry the weed is when smoked. The drier the product, the lighter the ash. Totally agree that slow drying/curing is the key to getting good taste/smell out of your product.
Each comment i read, leads me to believe im not drying enough. Well if im messing up with a simple not enough drying time, then i gotta learn patience. I like another connoisseur to try my stuff and a first thought on the smell terps, that be cool :kiss:
Nice looking roll in the photo in the first msg. As for the color of the ash there are several things that can cause the color. Someone posted a msg several years ago on just that point. The most important thing is how hot the coal or burning tip can get because of the amount of oxygen.

Yes, how dry it is is the big thing.

I also get the feeling that the color of the ash can be influenced by how tight the joint is rolled. A nice loose roll with nicely dried weed tends to produce a white to gray ash. Pack it tight during the roll and the ash tends to show a dark gray, almost black color. That goes back to the amounts of oxygen.
Ohh very intresting, cause i always thought smoking in the fresh air outside rather then in ads a little flavour... by that i mean u taste different. like in wine tasting when they introduce more air by sipping. (im no wine expert LOL). getting into the science of it all.
Yea i feel like roll might not be a hugh difference but im defo gona try rolling a sleeping bag now and see LoL
im also gona get some weed i know i topshelf,white ash, full of terps and see back to back with mine too.
I feel some people blame the papers too witch could have effect depending what pappers/ blunts u use

Great knowledge and love here as always. Much appreciate it all and Happy Days!! :snowboating:
It might be a couple weeks before i post back on this, so dont hold your breath, next harvest is about 4-5 weeks. and then iv a 30Liter 2plants in 1 (same strain) organic/living soil to put into flower, witch i dont usually do. But defo big healthy plants so far :yummy: :yummy::yummy:

I personally like my buds crispy crispy... soooo easy in the grinder! I use moisture packets in my jars. Fyi for those using moisture packets... the kind I get can be "recharged" by putting in the microwave for 2 minutes on low heat.

so to recap on this, iv harvested the double pot plants (pics on my main thread) and they have been curing 2 weeks now roughly. i need to start taking better date notes lol. Iv been trying a couple things recently eg. harvesting at night (before lights on ) because i heard terpenes are at a more high then. witch before i would of just harvested anytime not knowing. Iv also been upping the dose of mollasess in the flowering and think this has helped with nug size and denisity and hoping it wil do the same for terps. And one more thing iv been brefley looking into at the moment is Magnets, and what they can do for plants witch is a whole new story! could be a game changer. If u have time to look into using magnets in the grow room i would. From what iv roughly red/ seen, the magnets seem to excelerate early growth/ germination and give u a all over healthier stronger plant. witch in the early life is probably most important. as far as benefitial for flowering i not exactally sure.
So for the black ash im still not 100% sure how to make it nice and white, atleast for the most part, but im not to bothered abit it anymore cause its not the worst.
But somthing i wana start doing is buying seeds that are more expencive i usually buy a seed for 10-15 euro, that cant be good genetics if u think about it, and NOT Feminized. so Regular seeds and see if there terps are better (hoping to god they will be :) If i could buy 3 amazing seeds for 200-300 and genes etc were good, id just clone them and id be happy.
i still have a hand full of Feminised seeds left that im gona try grow out asap, no more then 4 week veg, extra love and food for them and basically go crazy growing these last Fem seeds to get rid of them. and Maby do some experments with them. But im no longer gona clone feminised seeds because i think they cause issues down the line and its probably a waste of time when the seeds only 10-20 bucks.

Just to get a rough idea how many of u guys use Fem over Reg seeds. leave a comment
Happy Highday :Namaste:

so to recap on this, iv harvested the double pot plants (pics on my main thread) and they have been curing 2 weeks now roughly. i need to start taking better date notes lol. Iv been trying a couple things recently eg. harvesting at night (before lights on ) because i heard terpenes are at a more high then. witch before i would of just harvested anytime not knowing. Iv also been upping the dose of mollasess in the flowering and think this has helped with nug size and denisity and hoping it wil do the same for terps. And one more thing iv been brefley looking into at the moment is Magnets, and what they can do for plants witch is a whole new story! could be a game changer. If u have time to look into using magnets in the grow room i would. From what iv roughly red/ seen, the magnets seem to excelerate early growth/ germination and give u a all over healthier stronger plant. witch in the early life is probably most important. as far as benefitial for flowering i not exactally sure.
So for the black ash im still not 100% sure how to make it nice and white, atleast for the most part, but im not to bothered abit it anymore cause its not the worst.
But somthing i wana start doing is buying seeds that are more expencive i usually buy a seed for 10-15 euro, that cant be good genetics if u think about it, and NOT Feminized. so Regular seeds and see if there terps are better (hoping to god they will be :) If i could buy 3 amazing seeds for 200-300 and genes etc were good, id just clone them and id be happy.
i still have a hand full of Feminised seeds left that im gona try grow out asap, no more then 4 week veg, extra love and food for them and basically go crazy growing these last Fem seeds to get rid of them. and Maby do some experments with them. But im no longer gona clone feminised seeds because i think they cause issues down the line and its probably a waste of time when the seeds only 10-20 bucks.

Just to get a rough idea how many of u guys use Fem over Reg seeds. leave a comment
I refuse to pop regs, waste of time and energy for me at least.
Fems. :thumb:
Have a great day my friend.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Intresting, i see what u mean by a waste of time for sure. but if it menas 5% extra terps im down. would u say 10-20 bucks is to cheap for fem seeds tho?
I accidentally popped a package of regs in the spring.
Beautiful white tails, broke my heart but I dumped them.
$10 - $ 20 bucks is a decent price imo.
I wouldn't want to pay any more than that.
You can get good genetics these days reasonably.
H.S. & W.S.E. both have great deals on very good strains.
Many I've grown personally.
But for $20 why bother with regs is my opinion. :Namaste:

Stay safe

If You buy regular autos at least you can make your own seed then

I got some free so I don’t mind trashing them if they are male. CL🍀
I just find it easier to grow the number of females I want.
Growing extra to throw away always drove me nuts. :rofl:
So I quit using them.
But free is free right. :thumb:
So I get it.
Enjoy your weekend Amigo. :ciao:

Stay safe

But for $20 why bother with regs is my opinion
Thats cool then. once im on the same page as most others :D
but i had my eyes on some Regular Jack Herer 10 for 160 that i wanted to grow for a friend since its there fav strain.
If You buy regular autos at least you can make your own seed then
Truee good point, although i heard making your own seeds along with stability of them takes time. knowing me ill make the genetics worse lol. but i didnt know u could get Reg Autos. thanks for that :high-five:
I just find it easier to grow the number of females I want.
Growing extra to throw away always drove me nuts
yea id agree about that and also making sure your not spreading unwanted polin

The funny thing is too, Autos that iv growen in the past (trained or not trained) have had a lil more taste and smell compaired to most of my photos. I find that kinda intreasting, since theyev been modified i thought they woulda been waterd down if u get me.
Cheers for the input peps
have a great rest of the weekend :lot-o-toke:

Back
Top Bottom