A Sad Sad Grow Journal

DAY 57: Feb 12

New set-up. I have a larger grow tent that I am using, but only one side (I put a barrier in). I bought a shitload of 3/4" PVC pipe for a fraction of the price at a garage sale and am using that as my frame. I have a lot of flexibility with this, including resizing as needed. I needed more floor space to accommodate the 3 gallon pots with the vapourizer and a larger oscillating fan. ( made the barrier almost to ceiling after picture was taken). Not visible in the pictures is the duct fan for ventilation.
Feb_12-4.jpg

Feb_12-2.jpg
- it's a big flower tent. I have big expectations, lol. I'd feel more confident if my plants weren't on the edge of death. The black tubes on the right are for passive intake. They will prevent light from getting in and I have one end blocked with chicken wire to prevent mice from getting in.

I changed the soil. It is now ProMix organic veg and herb. The roots were moist so I'm going to wait a few days before I water, but this is now their sole source of nutrients. They look so sad.
Feb_12-5.jpg
Feb_12-1.jpg

Don't worry babies! I won't give up on you!

Ok people. Advice on what to do from here? Should I just give it a few days to see if they die or not? I can't really afford to buy seeds right now so I'm going to try my best to save these sad, sad plants.

New soil is good. At this point I would pull off anything not growing...just keep the green. No dead leaves allowed. Get a mister and fill it with a diluted nute mix....like maybe 1/4 of what you would water with, Mist them several times a day until you need to water again.

Invest in a pH pen...if funds are tight its ok to go for a cheap one, but understand, they break. Water with 6.1 water, and keep misting with the diluted mix until they dry out again. These plants are resilient...give them a chance and they will thrive.

Post pics as this progresses.

Good Luck

Thanks Mouser

I am able to measure water pH with tester I had with my aquarium and I do have some pH reducer, so that's cool. Can I use tap water if I adjust pH?
I gonna take off all dead leaves now and rejoice at the sticks I have successfully grown, lol

Thanks Mouser

I am able to measure water pH with tester I had with my aquarium and I do have some pH reducer, so that's cool. Can I use tap water if I adjust pH?
I gonna take off all dead leaves now and rejoice at the sticks I have successfully grown, lol

I use tap water. ppm's are <100 so I figure Its safe to use. If your tap water is hard (high ppm) I would suggest using spring water. You can google the pH of most major brands and their ppm ratios. I grow in coco, so I need to pay closer attention to pH...I understand a propper soil has buffers that sorta correct on the fly. I hold off on watering during veg until the leaves are looking extra droopy. They always perk back up after a soaking.

Thanks Mouser

I use tap water and adjust the ph with General Hydroponics ph kit. It seems to do just fine. I haven't measured the ppm seeing as though I'm not sure what that is and my plants are healthy. I also use cfl's with a couple 14w led's to supplement. I've seen a big difference after adding a couple led bulbs. Good luck with your babes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I use tap water and adjust the ph with General Hydroponics ph kit. It seems to do just fine. I haven't measured the ppm seeing as though I'm not sure what that is and my plants are healthy. I also use cfl's with a couple 14w led's to supplement. I've seen a big difference after adding a couple led bulbs. Good luck with your babes!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120AZ using 420 Magazine Mobile App

ppm is a measurement of disolved solids..salts, minerals, calcium, assorted crap....its just easier to know what your plants are getting if you dont have to worry about the disolved unknowns in your water.

I use tap water. ppm's are <100 so I figure Its safe to use. If your tap water is hard (high ppm) I would suggest using spring water. You can google the pH of most major brands and their ppm ratios. I grow in coco, so I need to pay closer attention to pH...I understand a propper soil has buffers that sorta correct on the fly. I hold off on watering during veg until the leaves are looking extra droopy. They always perk back up after a soaking.

Do you have a cal/mag issue being in coco?

Ladi

But if you didn't you would? is kind of what I meant. I have not used coco but hear it causes cal/mag issues and a need to supplement.

Ladi

Coco is just something to support the plant. Its not soil. Its a form of hydro, just a bit quieter. Aside from a slight adjustment in pH, it gives you a clean slate to work from. If you mess up, run a few gallons of clean water through it and try again.

This is not a sad GJ. You are getting an excellent education. The more problems you work out in this grow the more you learn and improve and the better your next grows will be.
Looks like nute burn to me.
Common problems with new growers are:
Feeding too much (salt build up)
Over watering
Poor air circulation
High heat in grow space.
Inadequate lighting
PH issues

adress one at a time so you can see how your changes affect the plant.
As mentioned, I would flush the plant. Pour the water very very slow at first to avoid creating channels through the medium that will not allow the entire medium to be flushed. After flush let pot dry out so it is Featherlite to lift, maintain 78 degrees F at plant height. Start there and then work on PH, humidity, ect.
Good luck. Your doing great. this is your education its invaluable.

Very true.

Also keep in mind coco absorbes cal and mag that is why suplementation is nessessary. Also a rinse and buffering of "new" coco can be a good practice as coco can be heavy in salt content from the start and hold on to salts through the grow. Watering slowing at first to break top hydrophobic layer of soil for even watering and watering with about 20% run off I have found to be good practices with coco
Coco is just something to support the plant. Its not soil. Its a form of hydro, just a bit quieter. Aside from a slight adjustment in pH, it gives you a clean slate to work from. If you mess up, run a few gallons of clean water through it and try again.

Our member LEDRF has an amazing series of videos on Youtube (Growpotcheaply) devoted to growing in Coco...as well as myriad other videos covering nearly all aspects of a grow from room build out to harvest.

How to Grow Marijuana in Coco - YouTube

There is an amazing amount of info there.

:peacetwo:

This is not a sad GJ. You are getting an excellent education. The more problems you work out in this grow the more you learn and improve and the better your next grows will be.

Thanks Jay

I agree that I am getting a good education, and I appreciate all the people that are voluntarily giving it to me. Reading up is one thing, but having responses to specific questions is extremely valuable. :)

DAY 59: Feb 14

watered with tap water adjusted for a pH of 6ish. I only needed 3.5mL of pH reducer in a huge jug of water.

feb_14-1.jpg
feb_14-2.jpg

DAY 60: Feb 15

Plants are already looking better. The leaves are greener and not hugging themselves anymore.

feb_15-1.jpg
feb_15-2.jpg

DAY 63: Feb 18

I added another giant CFL light. It has 2700L and I bought it at the dollar store for $3. I used a basic socket and used aluminum foil as a small reflector. I've also extended the reflectors of my two CFL set-ups, keeping an eye on the heat. Obviously this isn't ideal but I'm hoping it will redirect some light from the CFLs to my plants.

DAY 64: Feb 19

I'm happy with where the plants are. They are obviously far behind in the growth I would have wanted, but this has been a growing experience for me. It is thanks to the help of people on this site that has allowed me to get to this point. Even the one plant I almost threw out is showing some new growth. This puppy may never recover but I'm interested to see what happens with it.

feb_19-1.jpg
feb_19-5.jpg
feb_19-6.jpg

Question for my intrepid contributors. How long do I need to grow my two healthy plants until I switch it to flower (assuming all goes well)? What do I look for - a particular height? I do want to maximize my harvest.

Assuming your tent is still 45" tall that's your limiting factor. Allowing 12" for lighting and fans and 8" for pots that leaves about 25" of vertical grow space. Plan on plants doubling in height after the flip.

For maimum yield I would use LST to train stems and branches to the edge of pot and then let them grow up to 10" with about 6-8 tops. Then flip to bloom cycle. That may be cutting it a little close, but you're a rsourceful guy and can rig some adjustemnts to tent if you need to.

I'd wait to switch to 12/12 until you get at least a few new nodes of good looking growth and think you have it somewhat dialed in. Any issues with PH, watering, nutes etc will all be twice as bad in flower. Also I didn't see it answered above. Don't pull the sickly leaves until they are completely brown and dry. When you have deficiencies the plant scavenges from lower leaves to feed the new growth first. The leaves tell the story of the deficiency depending on what is being extracted.

Back
Top Bottom