Ask Us Anything: Sharing Knowledge 420 Style

Welcome Everyone​

I am going to start this thread up now, but will be continually adding questions posed to me on various threads or pm's. There have been many great questions asked and I've tried to answer them with the best of my knowledge. I've got to go through all my threads and find these questions to repost here, so I've got allot of reading to do, please bare with me.

I would like to keep the casual banter to a minimum and information to a maximum within this thread. Please Feel free to answer any questions that arise or comment on my own answers. But let's keep this thread as an encyclopedia of FAQs for the many new growers to come.

POSE ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE
I'll try my best to keep up and have understandable responses :thanks:Thank you for visiting the Ask me anything thread. Hope you all take advantage of these upcoming pages and add what you can. I will try to find one question a day from my past year here and this thread will be chalk full of information.

*Disclaimer : All answers are strictly my self educated opinions*

Here's my first instalment, it's is in regards to defoliation. Please remember these are only my opinion and are welcomed to any scrutiny and/or supplementation.

I barely do either, I try to keep as much foliage as possible to get the most amount of trichome and resin production as possible. If jorge Cervantes says you should refrain from defoliation then I am 100% in agreement. I don't lollipop unless I have to because yields up top would be even smaller, my recent felicity is a good example of that. But right beside her was my Marylou was filled topped to bottom with buds and the yield was significantly greater. Although she had a much healthier up bringing. Since I consume it all, I will keep the popcorn on as much as i can. My rule of thumb is... If it's on the vertical part of the stem it stays and if it on the horizontal part under the canopy it gets removed. I'm more or less against lollipoping in general unless circumstances allow for a better a yield. As far as defoliation goes, I only remove leaves that dying leading up to about mid flower. Then once buds are pronounced I'll take a few fans here and there to give them the light they need, And/ or spread out the Colas to achieve the same ends. This goes for autos especially but is also the way I do my photoperiods.
Does that help your thought processes on those topics?

Stinky Snid
:green_heart:Cheers

I'm personally terrified of defoliation techniques myself. Here in the uk climate is a major issue when growing outdoors and my previous attempts to defoliate or completely lollipop cannabis has led to disaster. I think the open wounds left after the defoliating possibly invited diseases to attack the plants. Humidity is always high here and we obviously get a lot of rainfall. When I don't defoliate I avoid botrytis completely but when I defoliate or lollipop I can almost guarantee it, even when buds are covered and protected from rain. It's highly frustrating as I see some amazing buds on defoliated and lollipopped plants. I guess indoors the climate and diseases associated with certain climates make it easier. Great thread by the way .

I'm personally terrified of defoliation techniques myself. Here in the uk climate is a major issue when growing outdoors and my previous attempts to defoliate or completely lollipop cannabis has led to disaster. I think the open wounds left after the defoliating possibly invited diseases to attack the plants. Humidity is always high here and we obviously get a lot of rainfall. When I don't defoliate I avoid botrytis completely but when I defoliate or lollipop I can almost guarantee it, even when buds are covered and protected from rain. It's highly frustrating as I see some amazing buds on defoliated and lollipopped plants. I guess indoors the climate and diseases associated with certain climates make it easier. Great thread by the way .

hmm defoliating outdoors ?
defoliating is to help light penetration ... i believe the sun penetrates enough ... tbh when i look on youtube to large cali outdoorgrows i have never seen them defoliate outdoors ...

hmm defoliating outdoors ?
defoliating is to help light penetration ... i believe the sun penetrates enough ... tbh when i look on youtube to large cali outdoorgrows i have never seen them defoliate outdoors ...

Oh yes I completely understand that about the light coverage but I believe lollipopping promotes bigger top colas and defoliation helps open the lower parts of the plant up if Fimmed and LST'd and it helps the popcorn buds ripen and swell up more giving a bit more overall weight? or so I was led to believe? Lollipop top colas fascinate me they always look absolutely massive but admittedly I don't know a lot about it. I'll try any technique if it helps bud formation and yield.

Hello folks, just wanted to get some other eyes on this, after diagnosing with the deficiency guides online I'm pretty sure my girl has a nitrogen deficiency, i was under the impression in flower it wouldn't be as necessary. I'm almost 5 weeks into flower, so before i go giving her a dose of veg nutes i wanted to get some opinions.
420-magazine-mobile1035417288.jpg
420-magazine-mobile441861253.jpg

As you can see its all lower grower and creeping up the plant, any help appreciated guys.

Hello folks, just wanted to get some other eyes on this, after diagnosing with the deficiency guides online I'm pretty sure my girl has a nitrogen deficiency, i was under the impression in flower it wouldn't be as necessary. I'm almost 5 weeks into flower, so before i go giving her a dose of veg nutes i wanted to get some opinions.

As you can see its all lower grower and creeping up the plant, any help appreciated guys.

Are the yellowing leaves from the lower part of the plant? If it's as you say starting low and working upwards on the fan leaves and it's an all over yellowing and fading then it's most likely a nitrogen deficiency, looks like it to me but as you rightly said it's normal for flowering cannabis to use up all the nitrogen in its leaves and some normal yellowing of the bigger fan leaves this far into flower shouldn't be a major worry. You don't wanna feed it nitrogen heavy nutrients at this stage. The plant needs more phosphorus and potassium heavy feeds at this stage, too much nitrogen is not good in flower. If you are going to give nutrients give it a feed with a lower N value to the P & K value, as an example 1-2-2, 3-6-6 to give you an idea. At this stage always keep nitrogen low and don't worry too much about the yellowing, it's normal as the plant uses its reserves stored in the leaves. I'm almost certain it's just normal yellowing and not a concern.

Are the yellowing leaves from the lower part of the plant? If it's as you say starting low and working upwards on the fan leaves and it's an all over yellowing and fading then it's most likely a nitrogen deficiency, looks like it to me but as you rightly said it's normal for flowering cannabis to use up all the nitrogen in its leaves and some normal yellowing of the bigger fan leaves this far into flower shouldn't be a major worry. You don't wanna feed it nitrogen heavy nutrients at this stage. The plant needs more phosphorus and potassium heavy feeds at this stage, too much nitrogen is not good in flower. If you are going to give nutrients give it a feed with a lower N value to the P & K value, as an example 1-2-2, 3-6-6 to give you an idea. At this stage always keep nitrogen low and don't worry too much about the yellowing, it's normal as the plant uses its reserves stored in the leaves. I'm almost certain it's just normal yellowing and not a concern.
Appreciate the quick response, after reading your response and talking to a couple friends on here im thinking your right, i also didn't take into consideration that the light probably isn't penetrating that deep into the canopy. Thanks again man, had a mini freak out lol

I'm sure the more experienced growers will confirm this. Hopefully you will get a few replies from a few sources and they put your worries to rest. I know it can be daunting when you suddenly see yellowing, terrifying almost, hopefully she's all good though.

Appreciate the quick response, after reading your response and talking to a couple friends on here im thinking your right, i also didn't take into consideration that the light probably isn't penetrating that deep into the canopy. Thanks again man, had a mini freak out lol

Haha no worries, we all have them freak out moments mate ..

i see nothing wrong tbh ... that is natural fade towards later flower ... you can give it more nutes if you feel the fade comes to early however a plant that leached his leaves for nutrients tends to be a smoother smoke afterwards ... thats what a late flower flush is meant to do ... deprive plant from soilnutrients so it cannibalises its leaves so the plant depletes all its reserves to pump up the buds and at the same time reduces the harshness

Ok so my Green Crack from CKS is now on day 45 of Veg it stands all of 7" tall about 14 nodes on it starting to develop side branches all very slowly due to some temperature issues I was having in the beginning and have finally gotten under control!!! Otherwise my question is she is starting to show some pistils now I don't want to flip her yet as she is way too short and I want to get a decent yield off of her!!!! Should I just keep the 18/6 or is it her way of telling she ready? If so does anyone know how much she will stretch ? Anyone grown CKS Green Crack?
Looks like your Green Crack. Ain't cracked up to it's potentiality. Hahaha
CKS has a CUP winner there. 45 days and 7 inches tall. I understand temps will stunt growth. Holy s#!T that's a kick in the nuts.
Leave the lights on. Maybe she will jump start and surprise ya.

Its funny cause I have other plants that are perfectly normal and I've been feeding them the same
That's ok, i have same plants and strain react different under same conditions. Soil and hydro. They look overwatered or have root issues. Maybe a transplant and /or less water during feed will work.
Might be genetics and you will have to deal with its quirks a little differently.

Hello, I am a new grower. I ordered some cropking seeds, and while I waited I practiced germinating bagseeds that a friend gave me.. I planted the seeds in fox farms rainforest soil in red beer cups.. And put them outside in direct sunlight. Spraying them with water about twice a day as I would notice the soil get dry real quick. None have sprouted out of the soil yet, what could I be doing wrong? Too much direct sun, should I put them in a shaded place? My crop King seeds arrive and are germinating. I don't want to mess those up. Thanks

Edited

Hello, I am a new grower. I ordered some cropking seeds, and while I waited I practiced germinating bagseeds that a friend gave me.. I planted the seeds in fox farms rainforest soil in red beer cups.. And put them outside in direct sunlight. Spraying them with water about twice a day as I would notice the soil get dry real quick. None have sprouted out of the soil yet, what could I be doing wrong? Too much direct sun, should I put them in a shaded place? My crop King seeds arrive and are germinating. I don't want to mess those up. Thanks

In the beer cup, poke 3 or 4 large pencil size holes on the bottom of the cup. Only fill the cup half way with soil. This will ensure that your soil is not too plentiful to begin with. I've read and also found out the FF Ocean Forest is a "hot soil" in that there's too much nutrition in there for young plants. You should still be able to germ and grow your seedling(s) in it, just know now to expect problems. Also, you should mix in some perlite first, say 2 parts perlite to 3 parts soil. This will improve drainage and also make for more air pockets. Before you plant your rooted seed into the soil, first drench the half cup of soil with ph water (6.5) and allow to completely drain. Then like ya do to get the last bit of ketchup to top of the bottle, shake the cup to flick off any residual built up water in the soil. Do that just once, maybe twice as you want to make your soil very moist, but not wet. Poke a small hole in the center and carefully drop the taproot down into the hole. The hole should be deep enough to receive the taproot and seed pod, plus 1/4 inch to bury over. Once the seed is down in the hole, sprinkle in some more soil/perlite mix and very lightly press your finger not to compact the soil over the seed, but more to lightly settle in what you sprinkled on. The seedling will push through and grow normally, but the more the soil is compacted, the harder it will have to push to get through, and the longer it all will take. Once complete, I'd fold a paper towel twice and cover the cup till a seedling emerged, then gradually introduce her to light.

In the beer cup, poke 3 or 4 large pencil size holes on the bottom of the cup. Only fill the cup half way with soil. This will ensure that your soil is not too plentiful to begin with. I've read and also found out the FF Ocean Forest is a "hot soil" in that there's too much nutrition in there for young plants. You should still be able to germ and grow your seedling(s) in it, just know now to expect problems. Also, you should mix in some perlite first, say 2 parts perlite to 3 parts soil. This will improve drainage and also make for more air pockets. Before you plant your rooted seed into the soil, first drench the half cup of soil with ph water (6.5) and allow to completely drain. Then like ya do to get the last bit of ketchup to top of the bottle, shake the cup to flick off any residual built up water in the soil. Do that just once, maybe twice as you want to make your soil very moist, but not wet. Poke a small hole in the center and carefully drop the taproot down into the hole. The hole should be deep enough to receive the taproot and seed pod, plus 1/4 inch to bury over. Once the seed is down in the hole, sprinkle in some more soil/perlite mix and very lightly press your finger not to compact the soil over the seed, but more to lightly settle in what you sprinkled on. The seedling will push through and grow normally, but the more the soil is compacted, the harder it will have to push to get through, and the longer it all will take. Once complete, I'd fold a paper towel twice and cover the cup till a seedling emerged, then gradually introduce her to light.[/QUOTE

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom