Bassman's RDWC - High Defoliation - Master Kush Grow #2

wow, made up me nutrient soup. BPN 2 part, Bloom booster, vita blue, liquid seaweed, cal-mag and hygrozyme. This shit is BLACK! can't even think about seeing through the 5 gal jugs of ro water!

Going to eat dinner, then ph test the mix. If it comes in right, which it usually does, I'll res change and be done just in time for tonights ball game between the Giants and the Cards. GO GIGANTES! World series here we come!

May do pics tomorrow after hood change or Weds.

Ya, that Vita Blue and Seaweed are some pretty dark, rich smelling additives, huh? They are a little pungent but not too bad when mixed up. My wife smelled the Seaweed, and was like - "yup that smells like the ocean alright!" I had kind of a "Damnnnnn!!!" reaction. Like a cup of black coffee when it's all mixed up.

I thought it was my coffee until I sipped it. ooops.

wow, I really need to quit freaking smoking. I didn't really notice the smell.

Hey Bassman -

I need to correct from a statement I made earlier...

I might have been a little early to say it might be wise to change the weatherstripping on the hoods every grow... I found that I'd just somehow closed it funny so that the weatherstripping wasn't making a good seal anymore in one spot on one of the hoods, but it was easily fixed. Upon closer inspection, fixing, and monitoring it I think my new weatherstripping from the last grow is still good and will be good for a while. My bad on that one!

It's definitely a good thing to do (replace the factory weatherstripping on hoods if the factory stuff isn't good) and helped a ton in my situation - completely fixed the lingering odor issues.

Sounds like you're getting a new hood that hopefully has better weatherstripping anyway, but wanted to set the record straight on that one for anyone reading your journal or in case you upgrade the weatherstripping on the new hood eventually. I'm guessing it'll last a lot longer (as long as it stays in place - not sure how part of mine got displaced).

X

Thanks X,
I have a small roll of good weatherstripping I bought last week. I'm replacing the hood because of the smaller footprint. I will inspect it and test it before I install it. It's supposed to be 100% no leak through the glass and weatherstripping. As llong as it isnt leaking by end of flower, I'll be ok, and decide if I need to replace after flower. The bulb doesnt get changed until needed as this hood will only be used for flower.

I was just taking a peek and seen the plants. I get that sometimes. I give it alittle extra Cal Mag and afew drops of super thrive. Sorry I didn't read and you allready probly are giving them alittle something. My plants seem to do that acouple days in flower. Mine just effected the damaged leaves. Not older or newer. Just that cycle of leafage. It doesn't really hurt anything. Least I hope that's all ya got.
But then you are doing hydro. Nice harvest there Dude. Keepm Green

Thanks NCW. Might be so. PH is inline with calibrated meter and I just res changed, cal-mag included. Should be looking fine in couple days.

New hood installed!

Nice damn footprint! Of course I hit the store within minutes of opening, got the hood, drove home to install it before lights on. annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.. CRAP! Hydrofarm plug. sob. Call the store, they apologize for not asking (I have JDL ballast not hydrofarm), and offer to give me the adapter plug for free.

So lights on was about 45 mins late today. No biggie.

Oh and I super cropped a couple branches when I dropped the ceiling cross member in the tent! But hey, I like super cropping anyways! amiright?

Sealed everything up and I got my tent suck back so the filter will be doing its job on the smell.

Here's a couple pics just as I turn it on.
PA2300011.JPG
PA2300021.JPG

New hood installed!

Nice damn footprint! Of course I hit the store within minutes of opening, got the hood, drove home to install it before lights on. annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd.. CRAP! Hydrofarm plug. sob. Call the store, they apologize for not asking (I have JDL ballast not hydrofarm), and offer to give me the adapter plug for free.

So lights on was about 45 mins late today. No biggie.

Oh and I super cropped a couple branches when I dropped the ceiling cross member in the tent! But hey, I like super cropping anyways! amiright?

Sealed everything up and I got my tent suck back so the filter will be doing its job on the smell.

Here's a couple pics just as I turn it on.
PA2300011.JPG
PA2300021.JPG
YES!!!
Been waiting for this part all morning!
That thing is rad! Looks like its stomping down a pretty fat footprint.
Bummer about the plug, but the ladies probably could have used that extra 45 minutes sleep in..
I decided I wanted one too, so yesterday I called every hydro shop within 50 miles of me, and wasn't very successful in finding one locally. Plus all of the retailers I spoke with were NOT very helpful about helping me get my hands on one. I guess I should just contact Hydrofarm directly? But the thing is, they are U.S. based and I'm in Canada which means HUGE duties, heavy shipping costs, and zero discretion.. If I could only find a local shop that would suck it up and order me one!
Where are my manners, congratulations on your new hood Bass!

Sorry about complaining in your thread, I'm just jealous is all.. :)

No worries on the complaining.

Just a bit of info on this hood. It's bottom side size is roughly 36" x 26". The unit is totally sealed with the glass part of the actual bottom frame. This means it's sealed super tight! Supposedly it stays sealed air tight too. Bulb replacement is done reaching through the vent holes. I'm fine with that since I will only use it in flower anyways, I'll only change once a year or so right?

Good luck getting one vick. You'll be happy with it I am positive.

No worries on the complaining.

Just a bit of info on this hood. It's bottom side size is roughly 36" x 26". The unit is totally sealed with the glass part of the actual bottom frame. This means it's sealed super tight! Supposedly it stays sealed air tight too. Bulb replacement is done reaching through the vent holes. I'm fine with that since I will only use it in flower anyways, I'll only change once a year or so right?

Good luck getting one vick. You'll be happy with it I am positive.

Cool, I like that actually as like you said it should stay sealed up a bit better... Looks awesome! :thumb:

Wow, 4.5 hrs of lights on with the hood and all the growth in the outer edges is screaming "can I get a booyah?" This is going to make a big difference.

Ok, for you smokers (mmj) I have a cpl questions.

As many of you know, I don't partake. I use this all to make butter and treat my elderly mother with alzheimers, glaucoma, etc. But she's an ex cig smoker with really bad lungs also. The butter hasnt been having the effect I had hoped for, maybe I just need larges doses in her food I dunno. So I roller her up a joint cpl days ago, had her take 2-3 small hits (really small), and she was hacking hard. But she did get a lil stoned and she was suddenly almost, much more aware. Thats a good sign!

So, she can't handle joints. I bought a vaporizer today for her. I put a small amount in the bowl, dialed it to 325f and had her take a few hits. She hacked, but not nearly as much.

Since all we had when I smoked was pipes, bongs, joints (30+ yrs ago), I know nothing about vaporizing.

It's a "solo" from vaporite.

1. What temp should I try to dial in for?
2. Do I place the bowl over the element after the light off indicating temp reached and give it a minute then have her hit it. Or load the bowl, turn it on, and wait till light off. Seems like the latter.
3. Should the bowl/product be packed or loose?

anything else to guide me?

This seems so funny. I was a huge pot head in my teens. Here I am asking how to smoke it, and I don't!

Thanks everyone for any thoughts on the topic.

Great news on the hood!, 4.5 hours and they're already booyackin!? I'm sold..

With the Vaporizer I would suggest setting it a bit lower than 325.
Use a grinder to mince up the bud. Don't pack it so tight that air can't move through the bowl.
Have her draw nice and slowly with power on at say 275 to start.
And have you ever double or triple cooked down your butter before?
If you haven't tried this yet, try it with your next batch of leaves and scrag, you'll get a way more potent butter.

We got a vaporizer not too long ago, and I noticed I coughed almost as much using the Vaporizer as smoking joints or my bong. Although I smoke ciggies on occasion too so maybe I'm not a good example. lol
But I will say this, Vaporizers are the shit! Its a way cleaner, clear headed, high. After using it non stop for a month or so I start to crave the taste of a nice joint though but I don't think you're mother is going to care about the taste..
I'm sure lots of others should be along shortly to chime in about their vapo thoughts.

I think its awesome that you're doing this for your elderly mother..

+reps

Thanks Vick.

when you suggest double-triple cooking the butter, you mean like adding the trim I have in the freezer now to the butter already made, and brewing that up so it's a heavier concentrate? I have actually been thinking about doing that if that's what you mean.

Thanks Vick.

when you suggest double-triple cooking the butter, you mean like adding the trim I have in the freezer now to the butter already made, and brewing that up so it's a heavier concentrate? I have actually been thinking about doing that if that's what you mean.

I meant to add the cana butter you already made back to the cooker to refine (clean) it.
It wouldn't hurt to grind up the trim you already have in the freezer, put it in a slow cooker with the rest of your cana butter, add some more butter, water, cook it off, and repeat just like above..Throw some bud in there too! The more you cook it down, the more the pot taste comes out and the cleaner it will be. I use a slow cooker and leave it going over night. Let it cool a bit, pour it through cheesecloth or a fine strainer into tupperware, then in the fridge. No need to freeze it, as the butter will harden up just as much in the fridge.

hope this helps..

WOW nice hood. It's pretty big for that space but I think the biggest mistake is people always buying things that will work fine. Then we upgarde and kick ourself in the ass because now we need that larger hood or ballast whatever it is. That a great hood. I looked at the myself but endend up with Sun Systems Magnum XXL hoods.
https://www.420magazine.com/gallery/data/500/Hood2.JPG
Hey just a intresting thing. One of my hoods came with a hydro farm cord set. I had a adaptor so no biggie. Well I just upgraded my light to 1500 watters. Soon after one of my hoods spit smoke. The fools at my hydro store and put a cord on the store display unit. hense the hydro farm. But the fools had used electric tape in the hood and it fried. The tape was around wire nuts but the spliced it inline after the factory climps. I'm glad it didn't fry my new ballasts or bulbs or worse the house. I called to cuss them out but they have closed down since I bought it. Great Hood Dude. I know you'll love it. Keepm Green

I meant to add the cana butter you already made back to the cooker to refine (clean) it.
It wouldn't hurt to grind up the trim you already have in the freezer, put it in a slow cooker with the rest of your cana butter, add some more butter, water, cook it off, and repeat just like above..Throw some bud in there too! The more you cook it down, the more the pot taste comes out and the cleaner it will be. I use a slow cooker and leave it going over night. Let it cool a bit, pour it through cheesecloth or a fine strainer into tupperware, then in the fridge. No need to freeze it, as the butter will harden up just as much in the fridge.

hope this helps..

ya thats what I meant.

Hey NCW, yea I looked at that hood too. But it's actually taller and as such takes some height away. I've got room for stretch. I also like that the Raptor is sealed so well. This isn't a hood you're taking the glass off of conveniently. Hate that I paid $200.

Update

Day 7 in flower, day 17 in 12/12, 24 hrs on new hood.

I'm totally thrilled with this new hood. I'm totally depressed with how much I've spent on gear and how much I've spent on upgraded. Back to 1000 watts (was 750 because of heat-air leaks from old hood) and the max temp has been 82f. Sealing it all up with a good hood and being able to close the tent up more and let the carbon filter pull air seems to have helped a lot.

While I can't say for sure, but it appears that deficiency issue is gone. A few more days should let me know better.

The girls are stretching well. They're fairly wide as well. The runt of the litter, the girl in the back left is probably 6" shorter than the rest still. She's doing fine, but no idea why she's that far behind the others. Normally one would bend over anything that's 6" taller when using high defoliation technique, but I think in the end, the bending would possibly overcrowd that smaller gal. So I'm going to let it be.

Because I pulled some bad leaf during this 12/12 period I'm not going to strip at day 21 exactly. I'll keep an eye on the girls and when I think stretch is over, I'll strip. More than likely I suspect this will be Tuesday - Fri next week. Or basically day 23-26 of 12/12.

PPM is at 1150 or so.
PH is 5.8
RH is 46%
Temp max is 81-82f

Looking for experienced opinions here:
I've been reading there seems to be a trend with people using MH lights in flower rather than HPS. Folks talk about denser buds and more trichomes

Question:
1. Is this true and if so what are we looking for in a MH light to purchase and use in flower.
2. Would it be beneficial for me at this point to switch?

Here's some pics from today!
PA240001.JPG
PA240004.JPG

Below: These two taller branches, the one on the right is a main branch, the one on the left is an off shoot. Both same height thanks to bending.
PA240003.JPG

Random close up:
PA240002.JPG

This top is in an absolute corner of the tent, furthest from the light.
PA2400051.JPG
PA240006.JPG

Back
Top Bottom