Beginning grower

EAverill99

I've never grown any weed before. I got into the thought for recreational and possibly economical reasons (not saying ima sell, just a thought) I am still living with my parents so indoor is a poor choice but I feel like I could make it work. I have lots of questions and need answers to most of them before I can start

1. Indoor or outdoor?
I know I said that indoor is a poor choice but I also know that indoor can yield more which I like. If I do indoor I will probably do hydroponics and/or scrog which leads me to my next question

2. Can you combine hydro and scrog?
I've read up on a few growing techniques and none interest me quite as much as scrog. I've also read a lot about how good hydroponics are so I figured why not just put them together, well mainly because I don't feel like waisting my time and effort without knowing it will work

3. Low odor strain?
I have read a few forums that say Northern lights and one other that I forget the name of, I think it has blue in the name don't know for sure though. This is only if I do indoor. If I do outdoor I'll probably get Jack Herer

4. Odor control
I know their are all types of things like carbon filters and ona I could use for indoor but I haven't yet done enough research on either of them. I know that the carbon filter is hooked up to the exhaust of a grow box but I don't understand how the intake and exhaust work. If I grow outdoor I'll just put it next to a a dogwood tree (for those of you who don't know it's a type of tree that stinks like all hell during spring)

I've never grown before either, but trying to hide it from your parents seems like the worst idea ever. It also seems like you have a lot to learn from your post, so I highly recommend reading the "everything you need to know" thread stickied in the how to grow subforum. Then I think you'll realize that hiding it from your parents isn't plausible. Good luck bro, and welcome to the forum.

Hi, EA! Welcome! You're in a great place to ask questions!

I'm afraid I have to agree with pointguard that growing indoors while trying to keep it secret from anyone you're living with is probably a bad idea. It's not easy to keep even one of these plants a secret, honestly, especially if you're thinking of a large yield. I know people grow small amounts for personal use in small spaces (space buckets, computer cases) but that doesn't sound like what you're thinking of.

Northern Lights is a famously low-smell strain. It's not no-smell but lower than some of the stinky others!
You can absolutely combine hydro and SCROG - lots of people do.
There are lots of threads all over about setting up exhaust and filtering systems, some of them very clever and low cost :)

I wish you all the best!

Hi, EA! Welcome! You're in a great place to ask questions!

I'm afraid I have to agree with pointguard that growing indoors while trying to keep it secret from anyone you're living with is probably a bad idea. It's not easy to keep even one of these plants a secret, honestly, especially if you're thinking of a large yield. I know people grow small amounts for personal use in small spaces (space buckets, computer cases) but that doesn't sound like what you're thinking of.

Northern Lights is a famously low-smell strain. It's not no-smell but lower than some of the stinky others!
You can absolutely combine hydro and SCROG - lots of people do.
There are lots of threads all over about setting up exhaust and filtering systems, some of them very clever and low cost :)

I wish you all the best!

So indoors is out of the picture for a while, with outdoor would I still need to water it or could I just let nature do it's thing and come back to harvest in a few months, also what happens to buds when they're not harvested? I'm guessing they die and fall off but would the plant live? I have family in Colorado and am going to visit them soon but won't be back for another year at least so I need to know if I could just plant some seeds and harvest when I come back

Well i suppose you could leave it at the mercy of nature but i don't know why you would. It would leave too many possibilitys of things that could go wrong. For example what if there's a drought or where is it gonna get its nutrients from, what if you plant ends up infested by pests, what if someone finds your plant and decides to help themselves, what if humidity goes high near the end of flowering and your buds mold and you weren't there to chop early so its not all moldy? Don't get me wrong i know the draw of growing is strong but i do think you should wait until you can care for your plants properly. Sorry to be a bummer.

Well i suppose you could leave it at the mercy of nature but i don't know why you would. It would leave too many possibilitys of things that could go wrong. For example what if there's a drought or where is it gonna get its nutrients from, what if you plant ends up infested by pests, what if someone finds your plant and decides to help themselves, what if humidity goes high near the end of flowering and your buds mold and you weren't there to chop early so its not all moldy? Don't get me wrong i know the draw of growing is strong but i do think you should wait until you can care for your plants properly. Sorry to be a bummer.

So dry heat is better than humidity? I guess I understand it now that I think about it but I never knew that before. The humidity here is the equivalent of jumping in a 90 degree river during summer time so I guess outsides a no until I can afford to move somewhere with dry heat. Luckily Arizona is one of my favorite states, next to Alaska, Colorado, and Nevada

Well as far as humidity goes you would want ideally a rH of 60-70% in veg and in flowering a rh of 40-50%. Its not really a matter of wanting dry heat just lower humidity in flowering, they love it high in veg.

If your going to scrog make sure you do so research on it..it is not recommended for new growers..I tried it and f'd it up..and you have to let them veg longer so you can fill the screen..just something to think about..I'm not saying you can't do it..I'm just saying..and if your trying to hide it..it's going to be harder to hide that big assume screen full of bud..if I was you I would grow outside just because of your situation...let me tell you they will stink

Back
Top Bottom