Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

This was posted by an attendee:
Attended an interesting press conference at the NSLC head office today regarding the new cannabis outlets... Here's a bit of what they had to say...

There will be 12 stores to start. Most intergrated with existing NSLC stores. The only stand alone cannabis store will be the Clyde Street location. It will be the largest and best equipped location and will include the opportunity to smell some of the products before purchasing.

Most stores will offer about 150 different products, Clyde around 300 and as many as 425 online. These will be coming from approximately 12 licensed producers. Those have yet to be finalized.

You must be 19+ to even enter the cannabis section of the NSLC and the view of those areas will be obscured from the rest of the store.
Products will include pre-packaged dried canabis flowers, pre-rolled cannabis, cannabis oil and gel caps and basic accessories needed to consume the product, such as papers, grinders, lockable storage containers and vaporizers.
Employees (most will be existing NSLC employees) will go through on-line and classroom training so they are well equipped to educate customers on products and responsible recreational use.
The NSLC will not provide cannabis for medical use or give medical advice.
They report that they will be ready to roll in July and await, like the rest of us, word as to when legalization will go forward.

Too bad it is all government run. Wonder how much impact this will have on free enterprise, especially the Seed Banks.
"You will be able to grow up to four plants per residence (not per person). You will be able to purchase legal seeds and seedlings from the Ontario Cannabis Store."

According to Bill C-45 you must buy recreational seeds and clones from your provincially licensed retailer. If you acquire them anywhere else it's illegal. I didn't find a similar requirement in the ACMPR, but that doesn't mean we're home free. Bringing the seeds across the border (importing) is still illegal.

This is just turning into laws they can't ever enforce... Defining "illicit" cannabis will be impossible to prove!

Keep in mind that BS laws can be the police's best friend. Just because a conviction isn't likely doesn't mean that the cops can't throw a wrench into your day. Confiscation of your stash because the officer thinks it is illegal might be in our future.

C-45 is Prohibition 2.0,, It is designed to deliver the masses to Corporate Cannabis. Know that these corporations and the opponents of legalization may become political bedfellows. Look at what just transpired in Colorado.

Controversial Marijuana Tracking Bill Dies in Legislature for Second Time

Don't let your guard down. The fight is far from over.

Peace. :peace:

Good Morning All,

Speaking of BS laws, look at BC...

B.C. passes marijuana driving-impairment law, but confusion remains

I am interested in what the law says about medical cannabis. I read some discussions that medical cannabis users would be exempt from this type of law unless they were displaying excessive abnormal behavior. I suspect a policy like this will be an administrative interpretation of the law as opposed to a written section of the law.

Of course this kind of exemption goes out the window if medical cannabis ceases to exist. And you know the "cannabis haters" are going to continue to battle us. Is Medical Cannabis a thing anymore if future governments repeal existing legislation? Despite us calling it a prescription, it is not. Therefore, do previous court rulings continue to carry legal weight if medical cannabis is struck down as medicine?

With 269,502 medical patients at the end of last December they would have one hell of a fight to scrap medical.

In the future public opinion will matter more than the number of patients. If the public perceives that the medical cannabis community is being adequate served by C-45, then the door will be open to dismantle medical cannabis. it is, after all, what the Canadian Medical Association wants.

While public support of medical cannabis is quite high, I believe that support is based on cannabis being illegal. Once legalized, support may wane. And most importantly, the support of medical cannabis by recreational users could dramatically change. Think about how these users will feel if they get pulled over, detained, fined or charged, while medical users get off scot free. They may not be supporters of medical cannabis for long...

Public opinion is greatly changing where I am at in Alberta. Tons of people are for medicinal use. I know a few people with higher up positions in old folks homes where the elderly are completely embracing cannabis.

Of the 13,000 roughly permitted to grow, as of Dec 31/17, they are all allowed more than 4 plants (maybe even at the same residence). Add in the old MMAR guys and it will be once again game on. Add 5 years as the "coalition" stated to review medical and.....

it's the database that worries us here. the provincial college of physicians keeps an active list of all grow license and mmj recipients. this list is seperate from anything to do with a medical reason.

it's the database that worries us here. the provincial college of physicians keeps an active list of all grow license and mmj recipients. this list is seperate from anything to do with a medical reason.

Hi bluter,

Which would tell authorities who is growing more than C-45's 4 plant allotment. Scary indeed.

I expect the courts would side with the medicinal patients even if medicinal was gone as a separate category, but that doesn't help when they come and take down your grow "today".

pretty sure it's only my province that requires it. check with your local provincial college of physicians as to what the rules for doctors etc are in your province. the colleges are usually a good reflection of what is happening at a political level, and will mirror the provincial gov'ts attitude where you live.

it is now official. just got back from the doc. our provincial college of physicians is rejecting all new mmj access and grow licensing, citing the Canadian Medical Association position that there is no need for mmj moving forward. they are throttling the doctors by threatening to suspend their license to practice if they prescribe. at present they are allowing only three doctors in my area to prescribe. my doctor is trying to get a referral, but none of the prescribing doctors are currently accepting new patients.

this situation is unique to my province, and parrots the wishes of the current provincial gov't. hundreds of millions in old oil money has fled from the energy sector and invested heavily into weed here. this group is central to our gov'ts existence, and it is pretty obvious (to me) that they wish to force us into their system. this same group is building a grow facility here, and has just been awarded wholesale licensing to sell as well.

we are going to continue pressing for it. it is not a matter of qualifying. under the federal rules i easily qualify. it is the province that is blocking it. i'm not even sure how this plays out constitutionally.

at this point i'm contemplating moving.

edit: he did say he could prescribe a bunch of dangerous stuff for my occular migraines

That sucks bluter, hope you get it figured out. I have on going migraines that I'm trying to figure out but my doctor just writes scripts... I final got him to refer me to an eye doctor which I already knew so I didn't have to wait to see him... eyes are fine... he referred me to neurologist... I'm guessing 2 years before I hear from one.

That sucks bluter, hope you get it figured out. I have on going migraines that I'm trying to figure out but my doctor just writes scripts... I final got him to refer me to an eye doctor which I already knew so I didn't have to wait to see him... eyes are fine... he referred me to neurologist... I'm guessing 2 years before I hear from one.

my largest issue is optic nerve necrosis. that's latin for " your eyes are dying ". i am 1/3 blind in one eye and will lose more over time. the pressure in my eyes is about 3 times normal, and it was suggested that i "try to find a method to reduce that pressure at all costs"- quote from my eye surgeon - who would do nothing about it. the nerve that quit did not die completely either, it sends pain signals every second of every day causing a brutal migraine issue among other things.

Which province, bluter?

saskatchewan

i held a legal card for over a decade and they flat out won't give me access or grow

Sorry to hear that. I’m in BC and I’m hoping there is enough advocacy here to avert the course of the corporate steamroller somewhat. I think there are enough of us fighting that we will not be flattened. Time will tell.
I’ve spent the last month fighting my way throug a detached, then progressively worse- eventually severely torn retina, and several surgeries. Been blind in one eye since last month. Now as my vision slowly recovers from the last surgery, it’s fading rapidly at the same time from a cataract caused by the vitrectomy. I will go blind in that eye again in the next months. Of course that should be treatable eventually with more surgery.
I guess what I’m saying is- you have my sympathies. It’s an issue close to my heart at the moment. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom