Blazer420 First Journal - 2 Sensi Star 1 Critical + UVB - Kind - Soil Gonna Push Em!

Re: Blazer420 First Journal - 2 Sensi Star 1 Critical + UVB - Kind - Soil Gonna Push

OK, so I'm not completely nuts...

For the past week or so I've been seeing some fairly aggressive flower maturation. The buds are pretty large, and everything is completely covered in trichomes - even many fan leaves. Squeezing the buds show that they are rock hard.

So today I whip out the microscope (wish I could take a pic with it), and 80% of the trichomes are milky opaque with an occasional one that is starting to turn amber. I was not expecting this for at least 10 day - 2 weeks from now!

Am I getting thrown curve ball by the ladies?

Is KIND that aggressive of a nutrient program that is has sped up maturation this much?

Is this the result of all the UVB I'm hitting them with?

This is at 38 days of flower on a 55-60 day strain! WTF is going on here? I have no problem chopping a plant when its done, but when it is going this fast red flags start showing up all over for me.

If anyone has any ideas or thoughts please chime in.

Thanks!

B-

You're fine bro, start flushing now....I bet you have 2 weeks for sure if you have full milk right now, but like said above 10 days shouldn't be a problem.

Re: Blazer420 First Journal - 2 Sensi Star 1 Critical + UVB - Kind - Soil Gonna Push

Thanks guys!

I have been mulling this over a bit and I think I'm zeroing in on a possible culprit - my aggressive use of Hydroplex. Since it's a bud enhancer/stimulator, I think I got the flowers as overstimulated as a 16 year old boy on a prom date :)

CSS & Critical+ are already some really fast maturing strains, and hitting them hard with the Hydroplex may have amplified that. Throw in a slight genetic/phenotype issue in there and, well, you can see where I'm going with this. I reserve the Hydroplex from my next CSS run and compare. That said, I do think that it would be a good choice for a 10-12 week plant.

B-

Happy Skunkday Blazer :thumb:

Grabbed some new pics from the tent. These are kinda interesting. A few days ago, I gave many of the buds the "Backfill Haircut". I tried to grab a couple of shots of the difference (in just a few days) between ones that were given the treatment and one that hasn't.

You'll notice that the ones that were trimmed are more squat, round and more "full" looking. Those that weren't have the typical "Christmas Tree" appearance.

As for my previous post about this advanced maturation I'm noticing, I see it even more today. The pistils are all retracted and are about 30% orange now. I'm still not completely sure why this is happening, but I keep coming back to heavy use of Hydroplex. Unfortunately, I'll never know for sure.

One thing I am going to do is bring some samples down to my local MMJ lab and see what the results are. In addition to the whole potency testing they claim that they can also determine if the plant was taken wile still immature (not sure how yet - need to speak with them about it). While I know what I see and am experiencing, there is a little voice in the back of my head telling me that I may be being faked out somehow. Hopefully this testing will give a clue. Added bonus is that I will get an idea of how my medicine compares to other tests of the same strain!

Group pose!
inTheTent.jpg

Typical flower from a CSS plant
noBackfill.jpg

CSS bud given the Backfill Haircut
backfill2.jpg

One more of another that got a flattop
backfill1.jpg

Happy Tokerday Blazer :thumb:

My bet is that the UVB is having an influence. If the theory that UVB is a photocatalyst for THC production is true, then it makes sense that as soon as the trich's resin capsule is saturated with THC, the resin turns amber. I really want to know what the THC content of your buds might be. The lab might be able to use the THC/CBN/CBD ratio to determine the relative maturity of the buds.

On a side note, can you PM me the name and address of the lab you intend to use? They are scarce here in western Colorado...

Your ladies are looking awesome Blazer! I'm looking forward to that lab analysis now. I have a similar grow going and hope mine turns out as well.

Thank you.

I'm anxious about the lab results too. I plant to bring them two samples actually. The first will be after the initial dry (about 7-10 days depending), and the other will be after at least a 4 week cure.

I totally agree that a proper cure give a much better tasting, burning, etc product, but I want to see for myself lab results that show that it does or does not in fact increase potency, and other claims that run around.

B-

Happy Weednsday Blazer :thumb:

My bet is that the UVB is having an influence. If the theory that UVB is a photocatalyst for THC production is true, then it makes sense that as soon as the trich's resin capsule is saturated with THC, the resin turns amber. I really want to know what the THC content of your buds might be. The lab might be able to use the THC/CBN/CBD ratio to determine the relative maturity of the buds.

On a side note, can you PM me the name and address of the lab you intend to use? They are scarce here in western Colorado...

You know I have been giving that some thought at well, and I certainly have not eliminated it from the realm of possibilities. It certainly does make a compelling argument.

As far as the lab goes, you'd have to be where I live to get a sample to them. Because of federal law they do not accept any "deliveries" other than walk-ins. :(

Grabbed some new pics from the tent. These are kinda interesting. A few days ago, I gave many of the buds the "Backfill Haircut". I tried to grab a couple of shots of the difference (in just a few days) between ones that were given the treatment and one that hasn't.

You'll notice that the ones that were trimmed are more squat, round and more "full" looking. Those that weren't have the typical "Christmas Tree" appearance.

As for my previous post about this advanced maturation I'm noticing, I see it even more today. The pistils are all retracted and are about 30% orange now. I'm still not completely sure why this is happening, but I keep coming back to heavy use of Hydroplex. Unfortunately, I'll never know for sure.

One thing I am going to do is bring some samples down to my local MMJ lab and see what the results are. In addition to the whole potency testing they claim that they can also determine if the plant was taken wile still immature (not sure how yet - need to speak with them about it). While I know what I see and am experiencing, there is a little voice in the back of my head telling me that I may be being faked out somehow. Hopefully this testing will give a clue. Added bonus is that I will get an idea of how my medicine compares to other tests of the same strain!

Group pose!
inTheTent.jpg

Typical flower from a CSS plant
noBackfill.jpg

CSS bud given the Backfill Haircut
backfill2.jpg

One more of another that got a flattop
backfill1.jpg

Dude, you should be stoked!!! Looking mighty fat and nuggy! :bravo:

I googled and found CannLabs. Now if only they had a local lab... :(

I hate the 5 hour drive to the big city.

Dude, you should be stoked!!! Looking mighty fat and nuggy! :bravo:

Thanks! I'm getting exited to harvest. Could happen as early as this Sunday.

don't forget to post us some pics
Happy Thurweed day Blazer :thumb:

In for a Chronic Weekend I hope Blazer :thumb:

A chopping we will go,
A chopping we will go!
Hi, ho, the merry'o,
A chopping we will go!

If you have been reading along, you'll remember that these three plants showed lots of signs of finishing much faster than what is typically expected for these strains. My first inclination was heavy use of Hydroplex. I think I'm wrong on that (but not totally sure it didn't play a role). Now I'm leaning on the use of UVB. I had nearly 100 watts of it going in there for the last 1/2 of the flower period, and had it on the full 12 hours. I didn't think that big of a dose was going to be a problem since I had my lights so far away.

Well, the flowers that had unobstructed "view" of the UVB were certainly done. Those much lower in the canopy could easily have gone 10 more days. That would have put it right in line with my previous grows of CSS. Obviously there is much more to experiment with here. First off would be hanging UVB CFL's down in-between the plants to get at those lower sites.

On a positive note, much of that immature stuff grately added to my 2+ lbs of high quality trim for bubble making! Its in the freezer now cooling off.

Here they are in enjoying their final moments.

lastMoments.jpg

One bin loaded!

inTheBin.jpg

Just hanging out

justHangingOut.jpg

Rootball from the Critical+ out of a 7 gal pot

7galC_rootBall.jpg

Back
Top Bottom