Bonsaiweed's Dwarf Low Flyer, Indoor Tent, Soil, LED, First Grow, 2018, Terminated

And I the only one who is going to comment on Yellow Princess shooting the bird with that big middle finger on her fan?
Oh man I didnt even see it. That's a perfect middle finger wave. Idk bonsai I think she might be mad at you. Gonna take more than sweet talking and loving to get her to come around.

I have a couple of those yellow sticky things in my tent after seeing a couple flies. I looked at the ones trapped on the paper under a loupe and they look like fungus gnats to me ---

Anyone with experience --- Do you think it is a Fungus Gnat - I'm spraying with neem oil and have introduced beneficial nematodes yesterday.

What I have flying around is about 20% the size of that. Not sure it is a fungus gnat, but it's definitely some kind of gnat. If that is a mosquito next to it, then what I have is very small, like a small fruit gnat.

Bonsai: I’m starting to think the problem with your Yellow Princess has nothing to do with you; I’m thinking you got bad genetics in that bean.

I'm wondering if the mother plant was suffering from a sulfur deficiency at the end. She didn't even get to the point of really feeding from soil, before the problem started. :hmmmm:

She is getting better believe it or not. Not sure if she will do much, but I'm taking her to the end.

And I the only one who is going to comment on Yellow Princess shooting the bird with that big middle finger on her fan?

LOL, I never noticed. I think that is a finger for trying to kill her. :rofl:

What I have flying around is about 20% the size of that. Not sure it is a fungus gnat, but it's definitely some kind of gnat. If that is a mosquito next to it, then what I have is very small, like a small fruit gnat.

I'm guessing yours is just a gnat or fruit fly. From what I have been seeing on googling is the fungus gnat has a pointed tail like the one in my picture under the wing. I gave them a good shower of neem oil just before bed time.

It's not all bonsai. It's only been like 3days since you transplanted them. Theyll need time to recover from the damaged rootsbefore she puts into growth again...

Have you got any rapid roofer root 66 or Evan some plant starter early life newts that may contain a rooting boost. Try some thing like that in the mix to get it kick started again..

Be stories when you look like this my poor girl... she's sat there struggling doin fuck all lol..

awww

Lastly, and believe me im not trying to educate anyone here but myself. you said that you are adding nutrients to microbes and microbes will feed the plant? that to me really doesn't make much sense. I thought the main point of organic soils was to provide enough nutrients in the soil mix so that you don't have to worry as much for feeding anything but phd water? Im going to do my own research this was enough to get me curious and learn more about you growing medium lol.
seems to me the more organic (in soil) ya go the(my tapwater comes out 7.0) havent worried about ph ing . Acts as a buffer the amendments in soil.Towards the end you will have too supplement a bit. The girls will eat it all.

Day 18 (from sprout)

Things are about the same with reference to the girls..

Ms. Small Seed is really not wasting any time. Her top is coming back pretty quick. I am going to top her at some point (before day 21), I'm just trying to let the top grow out some. There isn't much room there, for her nodes are stacked really close. Training will also begin around the same time. I can't tell that she slowed down any (by the FIM procedure), which surprised me.

Ms. Big Seed (aka The Yellow Princess) has started growing again as well, albeit slowly. I'm sure she will speed up even more when I get a chance to treated her again with Epsom Salt. I'm anxious to do the treatment, but she is still pretty moist. Her color gets better with every day and her crown looks more like top growth now. I was going to do a slurry test, but my pH pen seemed out of calibration, and shouldn't be. I put it in storage solution to rehydrate, and I'll calibrate tonight, and possible do a slurry test if Ms. Big Seeds progress isn't still positive.

Temperature is getting a little high, but I don't see that as a problem. The humidity is having high peaks, but that must be due to turning the exhaust fan off with the LED. I changed that last night.

Now, the exhaust fan is on 24/7, the circulation fan is on 24/7, the LED is on 20 off 4. I did duct the exhaust to a window to try and reduce the temp. The window is just open, with the duct touching the screen. This will need to be boxed in at some point to force a positive flow outside.

I put some pictures of my gnat traps, just for people to see them. Not my design, I just stole the idea from another member here. I need to move them. When taking pictures I end up touching them, and it angers me (that is easy to do though). That sticky stuff is hard to get off your hands. It gets on everything.......... UUUHHHHGGGG!!!! :(

I'm having a gnat catching game as I sit in the floor, telling the girls how pretty they are, and reassuring the Yellow Princess, that I still love her no matter her color. I remind her it is ok to be different, and no one should be judged on their color. She reminds me, she is just a little jaundice and is getting better. :green_heart:

The gnats are not really multiplying at this point, from what I can tell, but nematodes will be introduced anyhow. It's a good preventative from having a massive gnat explosion. I only have two at this point, but those suckers are hard to catch.

I guess that is all I have for today.

Now for the pictures:

I'll be honest Bonsai. Think you are babying a little too much . Back off with any epsoms/ferts etc for a week or two. Just0 let em be

Day 19 (From sprout)

You ever get that rebel feeling, that no matter what you are going to do something.......

Ms. Big Seed is looking better. I think she is finally absorbing the Epson Salt, and starting to grow faster. Not all of her color has come back, but last night she was looking a little spunky, and ready to get her groove on. I did tell her, that her groove would never be on, for we don't have any guys around. She just gave me the finger and went about her business. I think she is going to survive the slow effort to fix her problem. Not sure how much she will produce, but time will tell.

Ms. Small Seed was looking fabulous. She has a great color and was just rockin. I was really pleased with her appearance. So pleased, I topped her. Yep. I took her top off, right above the fourth node. I was going to wait until the fifth node, but I'm about out of time for topping her as she is an auto-flowering dwarf. Now mind you, this is one of those situations that I was unsure about. I am more of a "controlled number of colas" versus "one large center cola" type of guy. These dwarfs are geared more toward a "water it, and leave it alone" type of person. I'm trying to learn. I need the medication, but learning is also important to me. Education is evidently more important to me than medication, it seems.

The humidity high dropped right after the picture of my Accurite gauge. It's now about 64% on the high for now. Rain will keep it high for the next few days.

I moved the circulation fan much closer than it was. The plants had responded to the fan, and their stems are pretty strong. Now, they are getting a lot more airflow on them. I also relocated the sticky traps to the edge of the pots with clothespins holding them on. They are much easier to move when I start looking at or working with the girls.

I've realized that one of the biggest mistakes I made at first was not putting enough soil in their pots. I won't make that mistake again.

I also caught one of those pesky gnats. Not sure what they are, but I do think they are starting to multiply. I've found none on the sticky traps. Still waiting for the nematodes to arrive. They are tiny little suckers.

I replaced my suspension system on my fan. It made a HUGE difference. These bungees have a ball on the end. Just slipped it through the mounting holes and on to the hook. (Don't look at the taping job, I did it in a hurry and it will be redone after this grow.)

I didn't water any last night, but the soil was dry this morning. I put about 6 oz of water on each. I did repeat the Epsom Salt treatment for Ms. Big Seed (in the 6 ounces at the right water/Epsom ratio). That will be the only further treatment she gets unless she doesn't continue improving.

Well....at this point, I have either gained control of my colas or have screwed myself on this grow. Either way, I will have learned something.

Now for the pictures:

Doesn't watering with H202 help kill the fungas gnats?
I'm worried about killing off my microbes that help feed the plant. I know the H2O2 will get the gnat larvae, but could also kill the microbes. I know there are some ratios for putting H2O2 on living soil, but I don't remember them, and I don't trust myself to get it right.

That is why I went with nematodes. They will be here tomorrow. I will be introducing them as soon as I get them depending on what water requirement they take. With "living microbe" soil you have to be careful how you treat some things.

Back
Top Bottom