Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

But remember - an S1 isn't identical to the mother. Sometimes it's just that one particular plant that's magnificent. A freak. You can get close to it with S1s, but it may take a while (or forever) to find one as great as the mother.

But remember - an S1 isn't identical to the mother. Sometimes it's just that one particular plant that's magnificent. A freak. You can get close to it with S1s, but it may take a while (or forever) to find one as great as the mother.

The common held misconception is that self'd seeds are carbon copies of the P1 mom. And in fact, most think "feminized" seeds are, too. And the industry does little to nothing to dispel that horribly incorrect idea-because far fewer people would spend their money on overpriced seeds. Which is really, really shitty. The odds of getting a carbon copy of a P1 mom from femmd or self'd seeds is exactly Zero. The odds, however, of getting a worthless plant that'll quite possibly ruin your garden, from self'd seeds, is ridiculously high-but nobody selling them publicizes that, you can bet.

Depends who you buy from. There are legit Chems available. Have to do a lot of reading, research & cross referencing. Lots of study will point out which breeders are legit. Their names & reputation are on the line. Most love the plant & want to be known for their genetics. Not everyone in this world is out to screw others. :Namaste:

Depends who you buy from. There are legit Chems available. Have to do a lot of reading, research & cross referencing. Lots of study will point out which breeders are legit. Their names & reputation are on the line. Most love the plant & want to be known for their genetics. Not everyone in this world is out to screw others. :Namaste:

The majority of people, which is clearly evidenced by the posts here on 420, do not do the research. If they did, they wouldn't touch places like Crap King with a 10 foot pole. And I know plenty of growers not online that behave exactly the same way. Buying "OG Kush" seeds from some shit tier wanker who advertises with pictures grabbed from somebody else's Instagram, and thinking they bought The Grail. Their ending is always the same-heightened expectations followed by a big mouthful of turd flavored reality. And no, not everyone is trying to screw people, but the high percentage of sellers are simply buying stock from one company, cross-fucking it then reselling it. It's one thing to unicorn hunt within poly-hybrid pools intentionally, but that's the rule when buying most seeds nowadays, when it should be the exception.

The majority of people, which is clearly evidenced by the posts here on 420, do not do the research. If they did, they wouldn't touch places like Crap King with a 10 foot pole. And I know plenty of growers not online that behave exactly the same way. Buying "OG Kush" seeds from some shit tier wanker who advertises with pictures grabbed from somebody else's Instagram, and thinking they bought The Grail. Their ending is always the same-heightened expectations followed by a big mouthful of turd flavored reality. And no, not everyone is trying to screw people, but the high percentage of sellers are simply buying stock from one company, cross-fucking it then reselling it. It's one thing to unicorn hunt within poly-hybrid pools intentionally, but that's the rule when buying most seeds nowadays, when it should be the exception.

I suppose it's a sort of denial, for most growers....no research, wanting to buy a racehorse for the price of a mule, and an obsession with ever bigger yields....a bit like how we've ended up with supermarket vegetables that are very far from their heirloom antecedents, in size, taste, yield and looks.

I think most people don't care, they want cheap seeds that will deliver massive yields and extreme potency, and the rest be damned.

The good stuff is definitely out there to be found - but there is a time and money consuming science behind stable genetics and controlled breeding , and you generally gets what you pay for.

I suppose it's a sort of denial, for most growers....no research, wanting to buy a racehorse for the price of a mule, and an obsession with ever bigger yields....a bit like how we've ended up with supermarket vegetables that are very far from their heirloom antecedents, in size, taste, yield and looks.

I think most people don't care, they want cheap seeds that will deliver massive yields and extreme potency, and the rest be damned.

The good stuff is definitely out there to be found - but there is a time and money consuming science behind stable genetics and controlled breeding , and you generally gets what you pay for.

What "it" is, is fucking laziness, in most cases.
There's over 9000 (cue: gratuitous DBZNappa reference) in depth tear downs of anything worth growing, on a handful of easily searchable sites. But most people don't utilize the fucking search feature. (Here at 420, & most sites populated by new growers, there's about 6000 identical threads on mg deficiency, because people are too fucking lazy to search & read, for instance.)
Regarding "massive" yields; Most "massive" yielders in my experience, aren't great weed. (Emphasis on great.) And anything grown outdoors in a 100 gallon pot, in a greenhouse, will have "massive yields" whereas the same plant grown in a tent under a bunk Chinese "2,000,000w" LED, will not. Unrealistic goals are the hobgoblin of the cannabis hobby grower. I remember the first time I saw a single 10' indica of (imo) fairly mediocre (but heavy) genes in a 16' ceiling room, in a 60 gallon pot under a Gavita DE, pushing out an easy 4 lbs., when I was used to seeing 1.5 lbs/kw on 8' ceilings. My take was "Yeah, that's a fuckton of weed, but I wouldn't want to smoke it." What interested me, was the different take on how exactly the environment was set up, and how I could potentially harness that same efficiency, not the giant buds. The totality of the control of your environment, plus choosing the right genetics, and knowing your shit, exactly, determines the outcome. In my experience I see lots of people thinking that (allegedly) superior genetics will cover up their deficiencies as growers when in fact the exact opposite is actually true. Frequently the very best pot is the hardest to dial in & do right. Also, in a 4'x4' tent, there's (literally & figuratively) a ceiling on yield/ft2 that people seem to gloss over. Tents are cool as fuck, I love them, but trying to run too many plants in too small a space because "I need variety!" is a very common error. The best thing a newer grower can do, is grow one single thing several times, until it's absolutely flawless, learn from it and then apply that knowledge to future runs. Running 6 different feminized seeds once, then moving on to 6 more, and thinking that's anything other than a mediocre, 6/10 job, is a failure in judgement.

3... 2... 1... #coffee ☕

I've read that the Cookie Fem call em 'fortune' cookies. Seeds left in the bud. :grinjoint:

:nomo:
They did... until the phenos started popping up...
The first batch of seeds that slipped through the cookie fams hands was the originator of the forum cut... ya, im sure a few of you in here(including me) were smoking this since theres some Californians in here. This is what we were all smoking at the time and the clone was passed around and sold to the highest bidder.

The bean slips didn't stop there, especially since the cookie fam started getting really popular and more beans slipped through quality control and those seeds grew what we have today. (Thanx to the cookie strain being sensitive and unstable, I believe this is common knowledge now)
Thin mint cookies, OGKB, Berners Cookies,etc,etc,etc..Were all phenos from the self pollinated seeds. Pretty impressive for a selfed seed.

And I'm sorry to break everybodys heart but there is no reason for the cookie fam to release there original cut because the whole West coast was pheno hunting and found the better genetics. Anybody from the west coast knows that we pass around clones like Africa does aids. The Cookie store sells "our" phenos and the only pheno they have that isn't passed around is the Berners Cookies. They have also gifted sunset sherbet and cherry pie to other growers and people they are close too. I've heard them speak about this many times.

@ Skunkworks comment about Cookies and GG4 being a flavor of the month.
How would you know? Your from the UK and you've probably never smoked either one of these strains unless you came to California and got a med card and went to a respected dispensary. I'm sure other people have cuts but I guarantee Colorado isn't swimming in cookie genetics like California is. So to come into to this thread knocking two of the biggest hitters in the cannabis industry in the last 20 years is rather disrespectful coming from somebody who has never even tried the strains. In CA, we call that "being a hater". S1s suck, fems suck, hybrids suck, autos suck, so what should we be smoking?, and if you say northern lights or some heirloom strain from Mr Nice seeds I'm going to kill myself..
"
I need a Snickers, a blunt, two dabs and some purple Urkle .....

I was also wondering what would everyone be smoking if fems and autos suck. I love them and the smoke even if they might be herm prone. Maybe I've been lucky dealing with fem company's like H.S.O, Royal Queen and TH seeds bt so far I haven't got more than a hand ful of seeds from all the plants I've harvested and most of them have been absolutely fire. Especially the forum cut cookies from RQ I grew out which was so unbelievably potent I couldn't care less if they got that clone from outer space! Plus I'm not breeding or starting a seed bank just tryna grow some top shelf herb so I hear u Twox!

Been swamped trimming & miss all this action on my own journal. ;) @Skunkworkz....agree w/ you on some the "2nd tier" genetics. & seed banks. If I want AK, then Serious is the only choice, for Widow, then I'd only want Mr. Nice, & so on. But they stay in business, so guess enough growers buying it. It's like anything else...some don't know the difference or don't care.

The Chems are out there among the better breeders. How do I know as a small time medical grower that I'm holding the real deal? As said lots of reading on banal forum & IG threads. When I see Chemdog, Nspecta, Joe Brand, JJ, Loompa, $Mike, PBud & others in the Chem circle posting comments, then I have confidence that I'm holding the real deal. Faith helps too. There is active selling & trading among legit breeders. Starting w/ the internet & now w/ extended medical states & growing legal states. Some trade or sell their cuts long before producing & selling seeds. Couple of examples would be Krome w/ his White & Cornbread Ricky w/ his Triangle. They sold their prized cuts & stayed behind the scene doing custom projects long before entering the seed scene. Now selling as Swamp Boys Seeds out of Santa Cruz. COB & Paco are behind many prized Colorado cuts & only recently entered the scene as Crunch Status Confirmed.

I run even more than 6 fems at a time...9 last run. :laughtwo: I'm not a breeder, just a medical provider. I think my herb is pretty decent. My patients tell me they can't get any better from any club in Central Coast or Bay Area. So fems work just as good as regulars. Yes, these modern exotic hybrids aren't that stable & do throw a few seeds, but nothing that would prevent me from continuing to grow them. Hell this is the modern frontier of weed! I embrace it & want to grow as many as I possibly can.

You do make some interesting & valid points. But it isn't as black & white as you see it. Today's herb is so damn fine, I am constantly amazed & inspired to grow as many strains as I can & get better & better at doing it. Pls. don't let the opposing views keep you from stating yours & stick around as your input is valued. We're all brothers & sisters of our plant. :Namaste:

Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

They did... until the phenos started popping up...
The first batch of seeds that slipped through the cookie fams hands was the originator of the forum cut... ya, im sure a few of you in here(including me) were smoking this since theres some Californians in here. This is what we were all smoking at the time and the clone was passed around and sold to the highest bidder.

The bean slips didn't stop there, especially since the cookie fam started getting really popular and more beans slipped through quality control and those seeds grew what we have today. (Thanx to the cookie strain being sensitive and unstable, I believe this is common knowledge now)
Thin mint cookies, OGKB, Berners Cookies,etc,etc,etc..Were all phenos from the self pollinated seeds. Pretty impressive for a selfed seed.

And I'm sorry to break everybodys heart but there is no reason for the cookie fam to release there original cut because the whole West coast was pheno hunting and found the better genetics. Anybody from the west coast knows that we pass around clones like Africa does aids. The Cookie store sells "our" phenos and the only pheno they have that isn't passed around is the Berners Cookies. They have also gifted sunset sherbet and cherry pie to other growers and people they are close too. I've heard them speak about this many times.

@ Skunkworks comment about Cookies and GG4 being a flavor of the month.
How would you know? Your from the UK and you've probably never smoked either one of these strains unless you came to California and got a med card and went to a respected dispensary. I'm sure other people have cuts but I guarantee Colorado isn't swimming in cookie genetics like California is. So to come into to this thread knocking two of the biggest hitters in the cannabis industry in the last 20 years is rather disrespectful coming from somebody who has never even tried the strains. In CA, we call that "being a hater". S1s suck, fems suck, hybrids suck, autos suck, so what should we be smoking?, and if you say northern lights or some heirloom strain from Mr Nice seeds I'm going to kill myself..
"
I need a Snickers, a blunt, two dabs and some purple Urkle .....

I'm not from the U.K.
And "I'd know" because I've run the real GG#4 that was sourced quite directly-and I was less than impressed, in fact, it was, in my opinion, (and the opinion of many others as well) a garbage plant. Popular opinion and Instagram means absolutely nothing to me, so how many YouTube hits some guys with a big flower room and amusing snapbacks get really doesn't register with me.
The aforementioned "biggest hitters" as you describe them, barely rate a mention in my book. But that's my book, not yours. S1s and autos, do suck. And I'm no fan of fems but that's solely my opinion, YRMV. Hybrids, I never mentioned excepting detailing my disgust at 16-way poly-hybrids being sold as stable when they're nothing even remotely close. I can, and have, sourced just about every "hot" cut from the last 20 years. Just throwin' that out there. I've got friends everywhere.
Cookies & GG#4 will be popular for a hot minute, maybe more if they push the social media aspect, but GG#4 is a "unicorn" and about as unstable as a plant gets-and cookies seems to be pretty much the same. Anything that "throws a few seeds" (aka what you call "bean slips" meaning the plants probably reverse a shitload but they attempt to pick the seeds out before selling the weed) under little to no stress is what we call a "cull," and it hits the fucking woodchipper- that's the way it's always been, and I see no reason to start accepting wonky, half assed genetics into the mix as there's plenty of great smoke out there from plants that don't behave like that. And people who persist in trying to mainstream genetics like that, I have zero respect for. All social media fluff, no real substance.

@BrightLights,
Thanks for the warm welcome man, much appreciated! :)
Fun thread, and I love watching your grows man! Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one lol and yeah, I'm pretty strong in how I see things, and several decades deep I guess I've got more than a few opinions on the state of this here modern greenrush I'll share here and there, undoubtedly upsetting an apple cart or two but it's all in good fun. Looking forward to seeing your LED stuff as it progresses! :)

Re: Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

I'm not from the U.K.
And "I'd know" because I've run the real GG#4 that was sourced quite directly-and I was less than impressed, in fact, it was, in my opinion, (and the opinion of many others as well) a garbage plant. Popular opinion and Instagram means absolutely nothing to me, so how many YouTube hits some guys with a big flower room and amusing snapbacks get really doesn't register with me.
The aforementioned "biggest hitters" as you describe them, barely rate a mention in my book. But that's my book, not yours. S1s and autos, do suck. And I'm no fan of fems but that's solely my opinion, YRMV. Hybrids, I never mentioned excepting detailing my disgust at 16-way poly-hybrids being sold as stable when they're nothing even remotely close. I can, and have, sourced just about every "hot" cut from the last 20 years. Just throwin' that out there. I've got friends everywhere.
Cookies & GG#4 will be popular for a hot minute, maybe more if they push the social media aspect, but GG#4 is a "unicorn" and about as unstable as a plant gets-and cookies seems to be pretty much the same. Anything that "throws a few seeds" (aka what you call "bean slips" meaning the plants probably reverse a shitload but they attempt to pick the seeds out before selling the weed) under little to no stress is what we call a "cull," and it hits the fucking woodchipper- that's the way it's always been, and I see no reason to start accepting wonky, half assed genetics into the mix as there's plenty of great smoke out there from plants that don't behave like that. And people who persist in trying to mainstream genetics like that, I have zero respect for. All social media fluff, no real substance.

@BrightLights,
Thanks for the warm welcome man, much appreciated! :)
Fun thread, and I love watching your grows man! Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one lol and yeah, I'm pretty strong in how I see things, and several decades deep I guess I've got more than a few opinions on the state of this here modern greenrush I'll share here and there, undoubtedly upsetting an apple cart or two but it's all in good fun. Looking forward to seeing your LED stuff as it progresses! :)

It's all good bud, I just call them like I see them.
I too can have a strong option sometimes and a quick view of your history threw up a few warning signs. Post boosting, knocking strains and banks while promoting your own, the whole "A friend said this or my friend said that" It's quite obvious your not an American so judging a bunch of home grown strains just kinda irked me.. Understandable right? Also, a direct cut from a friend isn't a direct cut. That's like saying I got a direct cut of somebody else's gear from midnight farms. Not a big deal, just sayin.. I would like to put this petty arugment aside and say this instead.

Even though we bumped heads and did something with a cart and some apples( Never heard that one, lol) I have a ton of respect for you. You have a lot of grow knowledge and without even commenting on your expeirence I can sense the force in you. You have helped numerous growers with great advice and know your sh!t.. I don't doubt that for a second. Much love for that.

With all that knowledge your a great addition to our community and if I ever had a issue I would definetly respect your advice and I'm sure others would too.
The whole " talking down" on other people's gear doesn't help though and your right, a lot of new growers don't know any better. Ive been there and oh my god, there was so much to choose from. It's quite a humongous task for a new grower to understand especially sense their mind os in overdrive trying to learn everything about growing. I think most new growers go the cheap route on beans the first time due to there fear of killing them all.. Some times even i need to take a step back and remember my first run and what i went through to get were I am today. You know what really helps though, grow journals from some of the fine folks in this thread showing off gear that others my not know of. Spreading the word that there's better genetics. Pointing them on a new path for a new adventure in the wonderful world of genetics. I still find new breeders with killer genetics all the time and I'm addicted to bean hunting.

I'm tired and typing this is exhausting so how about about this. A fresh start.

What's up Skunk, I'm Twox:high-five:... Sounds like you know your shit... Whatcha growing at the moment? Got any pics? I would love to see what somebody with that much knowledge can pump out of a garden.
Welcome to the 420 Forums.. :welcome:

That's more my style...:thumb:

I still find new breeders with killer genetics all the time and I'm addicted to bean hunting.

My brother from another mother. My name is Brightlight & I have a problem. :high-five:

What are everyone's 3 favorite strains? What you'd pick if you could only pick 3 to have & grow. :Namaste:

For me....Chemdog, Sensi Star, & Dedoverde Haze.

:lot-o-toke:

My brother from another mother. My name is Brightlight & I have a problem. :high-five:

What are everyone's 3 favorite strains? What you'd pick if you could only pick 3 to have & grow. :Namaste:

For me....Chemdog, Sensi Star, & Dedoverde Haze.

:lot-o-toke:

Today?

AK47 XTRM (Relaximo?), Borderliner XTRM (Relaximo?), and whatever that free seed was that I got from ACE (sold as Ace Mix).

I hope to have those choices pushed aside by some of the seeds I haven't harvested yet.

After she cures, HSO Bubba's Gift might push aside Relaximo AK47 XTRM, but only if she revegs - I won't grow something that won't clone.

- - -

I suggest putting a breeder name with your choices - as in where did you get your Chemdog ?

WOW, that's a hard one... Been so many good ones and bad over the years. Man, that's along list. I don't think they wood count Buddha Stick as a strain, but was hella GOOD smoke. Homegrown well most didn't have a name least that I knew back in the 70's. We use to save seed outta of any prime smoke for stock. Might be a half dozen or so in a lid. Names like Purple Haired Sensie or Red Bud but most just green bud. I woodn't doubt someone named their plant back then. I like alot from the older breeders and some of the older strains,, Star is one. But with alot of the young guns with all the axcess they have to good genetics and the info network to learn from, I can see why alot of these new strains are knocking on that 30% mark. I think we have gotten close to maxing what she's going to produce.
3 strains Hard to say seeing I don't really get high anymore,, just a buzz in all. I had a Vanatge like 8-9 years ago. One speacial plant, and I've tried to find her again 7 or 8 time and didn't care for what they were at all... But that one plants was killer.. I'd put that on the list. There `1.. Give me a minute and I'll come up with another'
Keepem Green

3 strains. Woah!!! Sounds like someone is gonna be on a seed hunt soon lol. So far for me I'd say Royal Queen royal cookies ( forum cut ), Ripper seeds Badazz. Potent tangerine smell and taste ohhhh so yummy!! And my newest HSO Amherst sour diesel. Just all around great yielding and potent plant that is getting better everyday it cures. I've got 6 different strains flowering now so I hope @Skunkworks can forgive me bt I plan on finding another keeper out of these!!

Late to the party by a long shot but I am here now! Great looking journal and lots of interesting input from the other members....sub'd!

Back
Top Bottom