Brightlight's Strain Fest: Organics & LED

re: Brightlight's Strain Fest - Organics & LED

I've got a Bubba's gift flowering now. Is it as good as the ASD. Because it smells awesome like the best smelling grape/berries dessert ever! Can't wait to sample her

I would say different....but a lot stronger than the ASD

The common held misconception is that self'd seeds are carbon copies of the P1 mom. And in fact, most think "feminized" seeds are, too. And the industry does little to nothing to dispel that horribly incorrect idea-because far fewer people would spend their money on overpriced seeds. Which is really, really shitty. The odds of getting a carbon copy of a P1 mom from femmd or self'd seeds is exactly Zero. The odds, however, of getting a worthless plant that'll quite possibly ruin your garden, from self'd seeds, is ridiculously high-but nobody selling them publicizes that, you can bet.

A little research says S1 mated with another S1 will create superior genetics for the subsequent F1 offspring. Use the F1 off spring and cross them and you have stable genetics. It's a short cut that has been in use for a while now in horticulture. The issue is selection of the S1 plants... as mentioned some S1 plants will not be as vigorous as it's mom so mechanical selection of S1's is required.

My research also found that S1 plants are indeed "clones" of the parent, but not all plants contain the vigor of the parent and why mechanical selection is required. Makes sense really... if S1 wasn't duplicate genes from mother, where did the other set of chromosomes come from?

Once we have selected good S1 candidates we can cross 2 S1's and the result (F1) will be a stable copy of the S1 doner. Not sure if that's how cannabis breeders are doing it but it's being done with lots of other plants to make more money....

I would "guess" this is how cannabis breeders are doing it. The other way is F1 to F1 and then selecting from that and re-do over and over until stable cultivar with the desirable traits in question. That takes a long while several generations .... the S1 to S1 cross is much more efficient = less time ... time is money...

This is my understanding... I'm not a breeder nor any expert on genetics by any means, I'm a soil guy. Gimme seeds I'll grow fire.

Here's a quote from an Missouri State U lecture on plant fertility:

"One advantage of asexual reproduction is that a plant well suited to a particular environment can clone many copies of itself rapidly.

Moreover, the offspring of vegetative reproduction are not as fragile as seedlings produced by sexual reproduction."

How about three strains i wish I had?
My first has been on my list for a while now... Aliens Fruity Pebbles cereal cut. I smoked some of this a few years back it looked and smoked Fantastic!

Exotic Genetix Star fighter F2... ya, that's never happening.

Last but not least is one I might actually be able to obtain. Symbiotic Genetics Purple Punch 2.0.. There legit

We're having the meeting again this Sunday in the basement :Rasta: who's turn to make coffee? :)

Bo, I think they mean cloning, as 'asexual' reproduction, but the wording and context aren't that clear to me, dunno.

I'll be spending my morning with CSG SSSDH, my afternoon with some Devils Harvest Strawberry SourD, and evening with HSO Bubba's Gift or IHG Dolato. Life is good.

Three strains I wish I had? Depends what I'm craving but ECSD is always on that list. Headband maybe. Maybe the ChemD. Old Sensi Star. A decent skunk... MSS,JFK,RFK,RKS, :thumb: I can always buy seeds of the latest creations, but the old stuff doesn't have any seeds.

3 strains. Woah!!! Sounds like someone is gonna be on a seed hunt soon lol. So far for me I'd say Royal Queen royal cookies ( forum cut ), Ripper seeds Badazz. Potent tangerine smell and taste ohhhh so yummy!! And my newest HSO Amherst sour diesel. Just all around great yielding and potent plant that is getting better everyday it cures. I've got 6 different strains flowering now so I hope @skunkworks can forgive me bt I plan on finding another keeper out of these!!

With my limited 22 plant grow experience.....I am going to say HSO Bubba's Gift, R-Kiems Portela and HSO Amherst Sour Diesel

I've got a Bubba's gift flowering now. Is it as good as the ASD. Because it smells awesome like the best smelling grape/berries dessert ever! Can't wait to sample her

I would say different....but a lot stronger than the ASD

My wife blended Amherst Sour Diesel with Bubba's Gift today. Smoked 4 small 3-hit bowls in about 5 minutes. She reported mild hallucinogenic effects from the combo. A nice blend at lower doses.Taken quick like that, she closed her eyes and saw bright colors doing the oil show from a Grateful Dead concert .

Pfft, this is Brightlight's house and he already set the tone. :Namaste:

Skunk may be a bit harsh but I recognize his credentials. :cheesygrinsmiley: It's all about the conversation, here ... right?

I agree and disagree, Mr Workz. :cheesygrinsmiley: I tend to look for the purer crosses because I very much don't like skunk influence in my weed, and I'm very sensitive to indica in general. I've thought about fem vs reg, and if you're breeding for something new - a new cross - then yes, you want the full genetics of the regs. In my case, I'm more interested in isolating the older genetics, so I'd want to eliminate genetics. I'm only interested in the male genetics if that's where the line I'm seeking to focus on came from. And I'm a hobby grower so it doesn't matter as much if the phenos aren't worked out. If I was commercial, it would be infuriating. :cheesygrinsmiley:

But yeah, a lot of the newest stuff is just a mess, genetics-wise. It's gorgeous and potent, but no one ever talks about how special the high is. :hmmmm: And if you spend some time on Phylos Galaxy, you quickly see how much variety there is in the same supposed strain. It's marketing, not that we haven't heard of that before. :laugh:

What do you think of houses like Cannabiogen and Ace Seeds, Skunkworkz? They're preserving and working old pure lines without corrupting everything. I hope to see more of that.

I've only done 35 strains, but the ones I want around all the time are ...

1. Carnival from Ministry of Cannabis - unknown genetics, dammit. Fantastic potent speedy high with a raspberry fuel aroma.

2. Utopia Haze from Barneys - IBL Brazilian sativa in all its PIA fluffy glory, but one hell of a high - a gripping, peaceful spiritual buzz with a limey sandalwood scent. And there's one pheno that is absolutely spectacular. The clones didn't take and it wouldn't reveg. Bah. :straightface: But I have more seeds. :cheesygrinsmiley:

3. Dunno - a worthy indica that I have yet to find.

Convicted felons? Damn isn't that close to 1/3 of the US males between 25-55. Opps 56. Soon to be 57..
Keepem Green
Ya, I know.. The system is messed up and never really let's you redeem yourself. Your past is your past and made you who you are today and my senses tell me your a good person that treats others respectfully..:thumb:

You being almost 57 and cool as a Eskimo gives me hope. My step kids brain washed me In to thinking I'm too old and not cool at 36. I still have "most" of my hair.. lol. :Namaste: Kids are mean these days..

I still got my hair,, even if it is waving,,, waving goodbye...........After much thinking,,, yes even after all these years of doing '''er drugs''' every now a then, I do think,,, My number two is maybe a SLH.
Keepem Green

Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

Pfft, this is Brightlight's house and he already set the tone. :Namaste:

Skunk may be a bit harsh but I recognize his credentials. :cheesygrinsmiley: It's all about the conversation, here ... right?

I agree and disagree, Mr Workz. :cheesygrinsmiley: I tend to look for the purer crosses because I very much don't like skunk influence in my weed, and I'm very sensitive to indica in general. I've thought about fem vs reg, and if you're breeding for something new - a new cross - then yes, you want the full genetics of the regs. In my case, I'm more interested in isolating the older genetics, so I'd want to eliminate genetics. I'm only interested in the male genetics if that's where the line I'm seeking to focus on came from. And I'm a hobby grower so it doesn't matter as much if the phenos aren't worked out. If I was commercial, it would be infuriating. :cheesygrinsmiley:

But yeah, a lot of the newest stuff is just a mess, genetics-wise. It's gorgeous and potent, but no one ever talks about how special the high is. :hmmmm: And if you spend some time on Phylos Galaxy, you quickly see how much variety there is in the same supposed strain. It's marketing, not that we haven't heard of that before. :laugh:

What do you think of houses like Cannabiogen and Ace Seeds, Skunkworkz? They're preserving and working old pure lines without corrupting everything. I hope to see more of that.

Hiya! .
I think people can kneejerk-misjudge my directness as being harsh sometimes. Granted, I don't sugarcoat much, but I don't believe the internet is a "safe space" & I'm never going to be concerned with "special snowflakes" who "trigger" easily. In my opinion, people existing online need to grow thicker skins, or stick to Facebook where corporate moderators nanny & censor everyone. Oops, that was a bit harsh, eh?. .. (As to my earlier comment about posting content: I don't post pics to sites that allow or invite google to crawl, scrape & index. Or use AdSense. I'm not breaking any laws, so it's not security issues from my personal POV, it's just how I roll.)
I think Ace & Cannabiogen are cool-I like their aim a lot. I haven't run their gear but I've heard good things about them & I enjoy watching people go on safaris running their landrace stuff a lot.
In previous posts I've stated what I think is wrong with the industry, but the upside of the political shift is that more people are growing now, more openly than ever before. And whatever they're growing, the bottom line is that they're growing, period.
As to what I like to grow, it varies from year to year for sure. But I keep coming back to Landrace Paki Chitral Kush (a true "hash plant", & (imo) the mother of all "OG" Kush) and I'm very fond of Sour D, & I've really enjoyed growing Haze & related hybrids over the years. On my "to do" list is a new cut called Citrix that I saw & liked a lot, am waiting on some background details for it, & in the "classics" vein, I expect to run a shitpile of MNS gear down the road a piece.

☕

And my thrid?????? Damn, I like a pot that tends to mellow' me out. Hell even sleep. Which don't come easy anymore? I can't even recall the last good 4 hours of sleep I've gotten in the last 15-20 years. Like I've always said,, I'll never find a perfect 10, and I woodn't want to.. The funs the chase. Least to me. One thing I've always preached was know your plant and that goes to everything you can learn about one, even before buying it. We are a eye candy prompted target audience. Hell I drool over a good picture.. But there are alot of GREAT stabilized seeds out there. Like said,, I'm not looking to put the work in anymore to look for a plant. I'm looking for a reasonable plant that I don't have to waste my time and space, I'm limited to small space for a crop, so I want females period. And outdoors,,, damn I hate to crack regular seed. I do have numbers..........
Now I forgot what I thought of number 3. Damn if I could score a good pheno of DJ's BB. The last I got from him, some F-5's he was playing around with,, well I wasn't impressed.
Maybe a P-91 from Stoney Girls. I've done afew of these,, and I did find acouple that really rocked peoples socks. People said that, and the Crippit were to strong???????? Imagine that. I said lightwieghts,,,, smoke less. P-91 did even make me feel liike a did a pain killer. I even took a 20 minute nap..... Some of the best outdoor herbs I've grown, P-91 and Pit Bull. But I want to hang on a minute longer before I cast my thrid entry.. Man you have me thinking.
I wish I could get high,,, people say alot of great things about this Black DOG I have going... I only get a buzz like all semi decent, to great herbs.
Keepem Green

I suggest putting a breeder name with your choices - as in where did you get your Chemdog ?

My favorite Chem is 91 so I started out w/ Cali Connection's. Only S1 that I've found to date. "Blended" Chems...check out Top Dawg. I have their 91 Star waiting in the wings. Loud Headband...SFV pollen donor so same genetics as Cali Deadhead OG. Like a dead ringer for the Cali 91 Sk. VA. Loud's HB is tied so far w/ Cali's 91 as my 2 top picks. Dinafem Dinachem is the Guava Stardawg from Top Dawg. More indica influence in Top Dawg's Chems. Saw that written here & there & my grow agreed with that. Top Dawg used Sensi's Afghani #1. ET Lost Coast OG is like modern re-make using a #4 w/ Paki & Thai. Go for it Rad!

Late to the party by a long shot but I am here now! Great looking journal and lots of interesting input from the other members....sub'd!

Welcome Mr. Van Stank. Glad to have you join us. Please feel free to chime in anytime you wish.

2. Utopia Haze from Barneys - IBL Brazilian sativa in all its PIA fluffy glory, but one hell of a high - a gripping, peaceful spiritual buzz with a limey sandalwood scent. And there's one pheno that is absolutely spectacular. The clones didn't take and it wouldn't reveg. Bah. :straightface: But I have more seeds. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Been meaning to ask you....what about that Ledo Uno?

Whew, not use to so many posts in brights journal.

Me neither. :laughtwo:

But thanks to all for posting. Awhile back I used to hang out at this now defunct grow store. It had an old time general store/trading post atmosphere where growers would drop in & hang around whether or not they were buying anything. Got to know many growers, learned a lot, swapped some crazy ass stories & hadlots of laughs & fun. This journal should to be similar to that. As I'm not that comfortable being the center of attention in most contexts, I appreciate everyone posting anytime. "My journal" shouldn't just be about me so never hold back if you wish to post. New growers or thread members....ask away anytime because I'm lucky to be joined by some fine grower talent here.

Relentless Frosted Strawberries
A very photogenic girl. Just a beautiful plant to grow. Very enjoyable observing her along the way. Fast finish at 57 days though listed at 63-70. Some nice reddish purple, more evident in lower buds. Earthy, some cedar, & lemon fragrance as well. Obviously sticky so she got the rough trim leaving much sugar leaf that was stuck to bud. So easy as heck to trim. Extreme mild smooth inhale that can dupe you into lung explosion. Flavor is a tasty wood-like & sweet tobacco (though I'm not a tobacco smoker). Enough haze to keep me alert but this is a serene comfortable stone leaning toward the indica from both parents . Wraps you up in relaxation & stress reduction. Plenty strong believe me. Worth a grow for sure.

IMG_355612.jpg
IMG_355714.jpg

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Been meaning to ask you....what about that Leda Uno?

I checked it out. I was interested in KC Brains use of Brazilians, but the KC606 kinda put me off - looking for a purer sativa. But I should look at 606 a little deeper. That just may be his version of an indica meant to tame a fluffy sativa. The Relaxed One also had me looking at KC 45. :cheesygrinsmiley: He did well with his.

:Namaste:

Relentless Frosted Strawberries
A very photogenic girl. Just a beautiful plant to grow. Very enjoyable observing her along the way. Fast finish at 57 days though listed at 63-70. Some nice reddish purple, more evident in lower buds. Earthy, some cedar, & lemon fragrance as well. Obviously sticky so she got the rough trim leaving much sugar leaf that was stuck to bud. So easy as heck to trim. Extreme mild smooth inhale that can dupe you into lung explosion. Flavor is a tasty wood-like & sweet tobacco (though I'm not a tobacco smoker). Enough haze to keep me alert but this is a serene comfortable stone leaning toward the indica from both parents . Wraps you up in relaxation & stress reduction. Plenty strong believe me. Worth a grow for sure.

IMG_355612.jpg
IMG_355714.jpg

:circle-of-love: :Namaste:

Mouthwatering description :bongrip:

Nicely described with great photos.

I think part of the lore was that Sk VA brought the Skunk from Virginia to Mass, traded with Chem - and took back at least one cut of something in the trade, supposed to be the (91). I've often wondered if he also might have provided the MSS, for the original Diesel (Maybe Amherst crew), which was from old Sensi stock. The Va crew also held other Skunks, RKS, JFK, RFK, so it kinda fits. If you haven't seen that thread (from last couple years maybe) he was saying he still loved to grow her out, and posted some real nice pics of her - still holding her own against the new guard. But I suspect you've seen it already. A fine lady she is BL. :Namaste:

Not to forget those tasty looking and obviously potent looking gems. :circle-of-love:

Re: Brightlight's Outdoor & LED Gardens

My name is Brightlight & I have a problem. :high-five:

What are everyone's 3 favorite strains?

:lot-o-toke:

Hahaha.. good one BL.. my favorite 3 are:

Chemdawg in flower
Chemdawg in VEG
Chemdawg seedlings

Got my Chemdawg I've been running for a while now from 1 seed from a 3 pack from HSO..

Hi I'm Bob and I "collect" seeds. I'm not yet willing to admit I have a problem... my seed stash box is not full yet. Oh wait.... yes it is. OK I have a problem... my seed stash box isn't large enough! hahahaha

I like SnowHigh's gear but haven't ran them enough to call them my favorite but my stash is:

Chemdawg and Devils Tit right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom