Bud Washing

@MrSauga

I don’t think temp matters greatly so long as it’s not super cold or hot. Some folks do a warm and cook thing but I never have. I only have rain water and it’s done a fine job for me every time :). And yes - PM is powdery mildew, and the H202 will do for some pests and other mild spores as well I believe.
:thumb:

And yes - PM is powdery mildew, and the H202 will do for some pests and other mild spores as well I believe.
Thanks Amy, great information. My first bud wash I'm sure is going to be the toughest. Once it's done I'm sure I'll look back and think...what was I worried about!
Again, thanks Amy.

Hi Softballrox, I'm not sure of what Doc Bud or others would say, but from my limited experience, I'd recommend H202 in first bucket. Using food grade hydrogen Peroxide is simply amazing at cleaning cannibus. I had to use it three years ago in my first grow due to some mold, and it did such an incredible job, yielding incredible herb, that I'd never hesitate to use it again in situations I felt it may be needed. I'll just say that if I had mites, I'd use it. It should kill them and clean your herb really well. I can tell you in my first grow with that little bit of mold, unknowing to me, there were a few catapillars hiding too and the H2O2 drove em out fast and killed them; so think it's safe to assume the mites would suffer the same fate. In such situations, Doc Bud recommends in the first bucket as below...

"Bucket 1: 3 parts RO water to 1 part 3% H202."

Then 2nd bucket with the lemon juice and baking soda, followed by two buckets of clear rinse water.

Best of luck.

Zafu
Thank you for the input where do you buy food grade hydrogen peroxide?. We've been having a problem with our dried and cured buds smelling like hay. The procedure we use cut'em, strip of the fan leaves, dunk in the buckets to wash, hanging on outside fence in the Sun for about an hour to dry. And then hang them in our dry cool dark basement 4-5 days. Trim put them in mason jars to cure. Any suggestions?

Not really sure. Are you checking the humidity of the buds prior to jarring them? It may be they are drying too fast and just suspect that the humidity of the buds may be too low in that short time frame for proper curing. Did you flush for a few weeks prior to harvest? Also, you may be worried over nothing. Sometimes, that's how it smells at first, but if you did everything else right, then as it cures that smell will go away.

Next time you harvest, if you can, try putting a tray of buds in the fridge. It's remarkable what that can do. It can delay the need to jar for 2-3 weeks and result in a much more pungent and delicious result. There's a thread on it here called "Low and Slow"

Zafu

Thank you for the input where do you buy food grade hydrogen peroxide?. We've been having a problem with our dried and cured buds smelling like hay. The procedure we use cut'em, strip of the fan leaves, dunk in the buckets to wash, hanging on outside fence in the Sun for about an hour to dry. And then hang them in our dry cool dark basement 4-5 days. Trim put them in mason jars to cure. Any suggestions?
You can get H2O2 from your local hydro store. IF you don't have one, you can get it online.
This is the one my local store carries.

So ehh, what's up with your formula doc? (snicker) Loony Tunes aside. Sorry if you have heard a thousand times. I tip my hat at your genius. why did you settle on amount of acid to base in your second bucket? Have you tried anything besides lemon juice for an acid? Other possibilities vinegar white / apple cider or lime grapefruit etc.

I have just been reading about water curing because I chose to spray my plants twice so far & am in week 2 of flower. First I thought I had issue with nutes, then PH, next maybe gnats or white flies (not up on my pests yet) then about 2.5 weeks ago I became convince the yellowing leaves now I think spider mites but have yet to actually see a mite.

That is really why I was looking at water cures, I finally de-lurked and signed up couple days back for some med / dosing / strain advice. I am so glad I did I never considered just a wash, and certainly not for already dried bud. As I am just trying to finish my first grow now this is awesome I have choice how to wash. If there is a link to your wash methods elsewhere feel free to point me there as well. But I am interested in your logic of the wash I saw first mention of it from Sweet Sue just a day ago.

I like to know why choices were made originally for hacking my own washes maybe in the future. I was so bummed that I have now treated my girls twice so far: first Ivory Soap & Neem Oil tonight with a Spinisad SP? based product and I could have done so earlier. I learned a few things growing the hard way but am delighted that I just wash and/or water cure my own produce I can feel so much better about consuming it after spraying .

I think even if there was no foliar feeding a wash would be great just from hair, dust possible molds. I think I will try on some dried bud. I have to do black market until I harvest my own. I swear 90% of what I have purchased the past year or so since returning to cannabis use has mold. I am way allergic my sinuses slam shut often after I imbibe. Not sure washing will do much to remove from dried bud but it's worth a shot.

I have been growing marijuana for most of my adult life. I have never washed my weed until I stumbled on Doc Bud’s article through Hiker on google.
But the dirty sticky situation has bugged me for years. Today, October 10th 2018 I did the 3 bucket wash and I was amazed at the filthy outcome. The baking soda/lemon solution was awesome!!(for good measure I added a little more of both ingredients).
I went a step further after hanging and the dripping had stopped. I cloaked buds in cheese cloth to minimize the dust in my garage.
Thanks guys. Jifcil.

Attachments

• 155CDA86-66B6-4668-9318-BEE2AFA4C1A5.jpeg
    155CDA86-66B6-4668-9318-BEE2AFA4C1A5.jpeg
    697.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 2D61DAAA-36A2-4294-9122-A9592F0CA166.jpeg
    2D61DAAA-36A2-4294-9122-A9592F0CA166.jpeg
    939.7 KB · Views: 168
I have been growing marijuana for most of my adult life. I have never washed my weed until I stumbled on Doc Bud’s article through Hiker on google.
But the dirty sticky situation has bugged me for years. Today, October 10th 2018 I did the 3 bucket wash and I was amazed at the filthy outcome. The baking soda/lemon solution was awesome!!(for good measure I added a little more of both ingredients).
I went a step further after hanging and the dripping had stopped. I cloaked buds in cheese cloth to minimize the dust in my garage.
Thanks guys. Jifcil.

I find trimming after they stop dripping to be the most ideal time to trim by hand. Trimming wet buds prevents the shears from gunking up and it's just just less toil on the wrists.

I agree. Last week I harvested one of my outdoor plants. I timed the washing incorrectly as I tried to do all the pretrimming first then wash, then final trim. Unfortunately the plant yielded more than anticpated so by the time everything was washed, it was way too late, so they had to hang through the night before we could get to them the next morning. By then, the leaves were pretty soft and difficult to trim. Today's harvest went much better as I washed as I went so that I had a steady supply of freshly washed buds to trim (30 Min drip time). The trim went faster and my Fisksars needed cleaning only a couple times (during 3 hrs of trim).

I think people have their own preference for wet trimming or dry trimming. Personally i prefer wet. Tried it once with some dry stuff and it took me forever. I first pull off all the big fan leaves and toss them away, then get to washing. I grow outdoors so washing is a neccessity and especially my recent pulling had cases of budrot which i still managed to miss some initially. Since the stuff is all washed then it all ok to be used for bubble hash without worrying if there any mould getting into it. Would love to grow indoors and see how much weed is affected from a wash. My weed isnt very stinky even after a slow dry and cure so not sure if it the wash that affects it or not but would still prefer my outdoor crop to be washed.

On a side note i make my bubble from dry trim. It has had time to cure and most if not all of the chlorophyll has gone. And seen has it has been previously cured then once the bubble is dry then no need to cure it. Wet trim gets too caught up in whatever you mix it with and you cant use as much. Just my 2 cents. Never get any green stuff in it, all comes down to gentle agitation.

Wet trim dries just like wet buds. 2 days in a small tote in open breezy air gets it mostly dried.

Hi, this a very interesting thread. Is it still the recipe on page 1 for washing, or has it been improved over the years? Sorry, but the thread is a bit too long to read it all... I will try this for my upcoming harvest, I've sprayed my plant with vinegar, and will also give it a dose of baking soda before harvest, so washing feels kind of essential this time, but from reading some posts here, washing seems like something I should have done on all my previous harvests.

The concentration isn't all that important, but you want to stick to the equal ratio of lemon juice to baking soda.

I think we're using between 1/4 cup and 1/2 cup, mixed together in 5 gallons of water.

Hi, this a very interesting thread. Is it still the recipe on page 1 for washing, or has it been improved over the years? Sorry, but the thread is a bit too long to read it all... I will try this for my upcoming harvest, I've sprayed my plant with vinegar, and will also give it a dose of baking soda before harvest, so washing feels kind of essential this time, but from reading some posts here, washing seems like something I should have done on all my previous harvests.

You can cut the baking soda and lemon juice to half of the original post (1/2 cup)

I think the main idea is that we don't need to go over 1/2 cup.

And where I used to thoroughly thrash mine around, I'm being more careful now. I saw too many headless trichs in the pics of my dried produce. I think soaking for a few minutes is nearly as effective as a lot of swishing. I dump mine into the first bucket all together and pull them out one at a time, the smallest stuff first. I push the rest to the side, swish a stem up and down a few times, pull it out and drop it into the fresh water.

I stopped using hot water, too. I think the trichs aren't affected much, but I worry about the terps. So it's "warm", and then cool, not cold, on the water rinse.

:Namaste: :bongrip:

And where I used to thoroughly thrash mine around, I'm being more careful now. I saw too many headless trichs in the pics of my dried produce. I think soaking for a few minutes is nearly as effective as a lot of swishing. I dump mine into the first bucket all together and pull them out one at a time, the smallest stuff first. I push the rest to the side, swish a stem up and down a few times, pull it out and drop it into the fresh water.

I stopped using hot water, too. I think the trichs aren't affected much, but I worry about the terps. So it's "warm", and then cool, not cold, on the water rinse.

:Namaste::bongrip:

Good to know GT, thank you. :thanks:

:Namaste::bongrip:

I have a similar frame of mind. I still use the hot and cold, but I don't thrash as much as I used to. I'm even considering getting a small recirculating pump to create a never ending flow. I think it's the movement of water that extracts the nasties from inside the buds, and simply soaking wouldn't agitate anything loose/free. Before I do that, I need larger totes to use. I also have some wire shelving located above my washing station so I can hang branches to drip between the stages which is most helpful. If a small pump would do the work for me, that would make my process that much more painless.

I have a similar frame of mind. I still use the hot and cold, but I don't thrash as much as I used to. I'm even considering getting a small recirculating pump to create a never ending flow. I think it's the movement of water that extracts the nasties from inside the buds, and simply soaking would've agitate anything loose/free. Before I do that, I need larger totes to use. I also have some wire shelving located above my washing station so I can hang branches to drip between the stages which is most helpful. If a small pump would do the work for me, that would make my process that much more painless.

it would be great if this works and you took some pics to show how you did it.

Back
Top Bottom