CD’s First Grow

Okay everybody, update time. CaliMagic seems to be working nice. I will be attaching pictures. Plant #1 seems to be staying short and bushy tight internodes. Plant #2 has a slight bit more height and internode spacing but new growth is coming in pale, I have magnified on the last picture to show the new growth, not sure what to attribute that to. Both of those are on day 21.

I also have 2 seedlings on day 7
Pictures attached.
Opinions and advice always welcome
-CD

Attachments

• B4DF4484-D958-479B-A96B-14B0BA4A2153.jpeg
    B4DF4484-D958-479B-A96B-14B0BA4A2153.jpeg
    692.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 267A2DD9-D1BE-4859-9A06-B781DB6FF105.jpeg
    267A2DD9-D1BE-4859-9A06-B781DB6FF105.jpeg
    637.5 KB · Views: 55
  • D7260784-097C-4C6B-85E4-6893C5865590.jpeg
    D7260784-097C-4C6B-85E4-6893C5865590.jpeg
    603.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 8CD9B823-72D2-4414-A9D1-4B7DA172CD38.jpeg
    8CD9B823-72D2-4414-A9D1-4B7DA172CD38.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 739523F2-1DD3-426B-B868-3DBAFD4DA1E5.jpeg
    739523F2-1DD3-426B-B868-3DBAFD4DA1E5.jpeg
    660.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 39B8B091-AB71-43CF-98A7-AE9BE6506801.jpeg
    39B8B091-AB71-43CF-98A7-AE9BE6506801.jpeg
    799.6 KB · Views: 56
They look happy dude! Don’t worry about the pale off coloured looking leaves at the top there like you pointed out, it’s just the internode coming in and will level back out to a better colour come time! Thanks for the shout out bro! :high-five: I’m happy to help in any way possible!

Aloha CD!

Gonna sub and follow along if you don’t mind. I’d say for a first grow you are doing just fine! The advice given is on point. Don’t sweat the little stuff and let those babies grow! Sending you positive thoughts and vibes for a successful grow!

:passitleft:

Yeah man, I think they look happy too. I was thinking about starting to LST sometime soon. Do you think I should wait till they’re taller in this container? Or should I wait until I transplant into the 5 Gallon to start?
It depends, because your internode spacing is so tight, it’s hard to do. For me personally, the earlier you start the better, (to a certain point). Did I ask this already, but are you topping these? If so, then wait till you top, and the branches start coming in. You could also start bending the plant to one side or the other. If you do, do that, make sure you have a counter string pulling the other direction at the base of the stem, to minimize stress on the stem and root system.

It depends on what route your going for really. Me personally, I haven’t found any benefits in training a plant to go sideways, it’s always fun to do but I like to top, and train the branches out! :thumb:

Hmmm, you’ve given me lots to think about. I’m not sure if I’ll top these. Given it’s the first grow. I was thinking LST’ing would be a smarter decision just to get a successful harvest under my belt. On the other hand I’ve always enjoyed experimenting. I have a some thinking to do. With that being said should I wait until they’re in their finally pot prior to any training?

I had to go up again and look at your plants. No you could start training now in this pot. Remove the strings, transplant then re tie back up. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Your smart for keeping it simple on your first grow. But I would guarantee you would have no issues with topping. You actually maximize your yields by fiming or topping.

take a look at my backlip is back journal for further pictures or tutorials on how to.

You could grow them out longer, top the plant (day the fifth internode) then clone the topped part of the plant. There for doubling your plants! :woohoo:

You know what brother, why not? I mean after all it is just a plant. If something goes wrong... albeit would set me back some time, I could just germ a couple more seeds. I still have like 35 or so more or these Pineapple Express bag seeds. It’s all about the experience. I think I will top them. I’ve read that it can add 4-6 weeks to your veg? Although it doesn’t really matter I don’t have a set veg time in mind. I figure if they “double” in size I’d just veg to half my intended height. However long that takes.

Also, I did jump in your journal and took a look at the topping. One thing I have to ask, because I’m seeing indifferent answers;
Are we counting first serrated single leafs as a node? Or are we counting first node being up from that?

If they’re autos, it’s important to top them by a certain day of veg. I’ve never grown an auto before so I don’t know exactly what that day is. If it’s not an auto. Then you could veg the plant for as long as you physically wanted to. I always tried to veg for no shorter then 60 days. This grow I think I was at day 87(ish)
46E21EE3-90DD-4930-A715-21267289FCFC.png

does that photo help your question at all? Because i May have misunderstood your question.
mat every internode, it shoots out two fan leaves, one on each side, then when the plant is mature enough they shoot out branches just above each fan leaf. Those branches are what you would tie down, not the branches. And at each internode, the fans and two branches in the armpit of the node spacing above the fan leaf. Is considered one internode.

Sounds like these are not autos. You should definitely top if you are interested. It should not set you back but a few days if anything.

If they are autos the very general rule of thumb is top at the 4th node if they are healthy and ideally within 3 weeks or 4 weeks max from day 1 above soil. That is again the very general understanding for topping autos. I just topped a Pineapple Express auto from Barneys (actually fimmed) bounced back already and started training. It's in my journal if you are interested

@Backlipslide, no not autos. I understand the difference between node and internode. What it is that I’m trying to find the answer to is, after the cotyledons you get the first separation (serrated single leafs) then separations after that have more blades (fan leafs), Does the first single blade separation count as node #1 or is it the next separation that has multiple blades. Does that make sense? I think you start the count on the first fan leaf node.

@Modest grower, I’ve decided I’m going to top them in the next day or so here. I’m gonna hop in your Journal right after this post!

Thanks for the help!
-CD

815DA95A-94BC-4721-8B4A-4FD4EDB8FA5E.png

here is an example of an old plant of mine.

The cotyledons aren’t considered a internode.
The green appearance of cotyledons is an indication of the presence of chlorophyll, allowing the small leaves to conduct photosynthesis in the early stages of growth. Soon after, the first set of true leaves will emerge. Cannabis is classed as a dicotyledon, a flowering plant with an embryo that bears two cotyledons.

The first set of serrated leaves would be considered the first internode. The next set of leaves above those going in opposite direction is the second internode, so on and so forth. They eventually grow and separate from each internode giving you node spacing. Sometimes you have really tight node spacing, other times you get a big gap between nodes. :thumb:
hopfullly this helps!:high-five:

Back
Top Bottom