Chump's First

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, they're soft whites, I threw out the box so I don't know about the calvins, it's probably the lower amount.

I think what I'll do is buy 3 of the regular CFL floods, take out the Y splitter. And use 1 per pot, real close. Then start adding the Y and T spitters to add more light using the softs durring veg. I'm not an electriction, so I don't know how to wire up a full custom system. Just trying out how to maximize what I have. Which is 3 fixtures, 3 Y splitters, and 2 T splitters, for a total of 10 possible bulbs.

Dug up an old fan from the basement, took it apart and cleaned it real good. I'll have to figure out the best placement for it in my small closet.

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, they're soft whites, I threw out the box so I don't know about the calvins, it's probably the lower amount.

I think what I'll do is buy 3 of the regular CFL floods, take out the Y splitter. And use 1 per pot, real close. Then start adding the Y and T spitters to add more light using the softs durring veg. I'm not an electriction, so I don't know how to wire up a full custom system. Just trying out how to maximize what I have. Which is 3 fixtures, 3 Y splitters, and 2 T splitters, for a total of 10 possible bulbs.

Dug up an old fan from the basement, took it apart and cleaned it real good. I'll have to figure out the best placement for it in my small closet.

Be careful with the flood lights as they are a focused beam, and therefore will also focus heat. As DFW-Guy stated, they will work just fine, but heat will probably be your biggest concern to begin with. We are running 7 of the 6500K bulbs for our clones and sprouts. It is cooler in that chamber than it is with the 5-2700k bulbs in the opposite chamber. Keeping the fan near the floor for now will draw in the coolest air available in the room, so it should be just fine. I am pullin for ya, hope to see some ladies sprout buds in the near future.

The CFL floods wont put off as much heat though, right? How close can you get with a CFL flood?

Actually, the spiral CFL's won't create hot spots like the floods will. You will have to test with the back of your hand exposed at plant height. If it feels to warm for your skin, then it is probably to warm for the plants. I would error on the side of caution and begin with my lamps further away, then slowly move them closer until the plants respond adversely. Maybe an inch every day or two until you see it is to warm for them. Hope that helps.

With the seedlings a great way to tell how far to have the lights is by how they grow! If they sprout out tall w/ long stems, the light needs to be closer, as they are reaching for more light (naturally this brings the plant above whatever is growing around it). If they start out so short that the plant is less than a centimeter tall and has fully developed leaves (happened to me) you can probably back off an inch.

As the plants get older and start growing more rapidly they can take more heat and light intensity so you don't have to worry so much about the lights; chances are you'll have found a sweet spot by that point & will know just how your plants like it.

About getting more sockets for hanging the lights to shine downwards on the plants. If you have a lamp parts supply store (home depot works too) you can pick up individual light sockets and cords for less than you spent on those fixtures. The socket will run you $1-2 and the cord (6ft) w/ wall socket less than a dollar. Ask an assistant for help on how to wire the socket, let me tell you it's very easy, just put 1 end of the cord here and the other there. Oh and if you want to use those Y-Sockets, angle them so the lights shine parallel to how the plants are arranged; that way they point over the plants & not to the sides, that's how I would have the setup you have now going.

I just ran accross a thead that Cees put together. Interesting read, what do you guys think of his 12/12 method? Sounds like it works! I think I will let mine veg for a few weeks though, probably not a full month (cause they would get too big I think).

It will work and cut some of the hight down. Give it a try.:grinjoint:

The size depends on the strain really. Even going 12/12 from seed, tall plants meant for outdoor growing can reach over 2ft in height. You shouldn't have a problem with that though as your plants didn't seem to get super big (exept for the big boy, but he had a long veg period). I say go ahead and try the 12/12 from seed method, seems like a great way to have small plants. Personally I would veg for a week or maybe 2, just until the plant gets out of seedling stage.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do (is let them veg for a week or 2). I planted them offset in the pots, because I planned on tying them down. So I think I'll do a combination technique, a week or two of veg, tie them down maybe once or twice. Then go into flowering.

Actually that sounds like a perfect plan. I am pretty sure my next grow will be just like it. :peace:

Thanks gang! I tried to get a pic, but my battery is dead on the camera. So I have my grinder and my pipe here to keep me occupied while the battery charges. It's so awesome to have so much good bud! I'm hooked on growing.
:roorrip:

Nothing really to see, just a little baby girl. Hopefully the other 2 pop! I'll be bummed if one or 2 beans dont sprout. I only have 3, and it took 2 weeks for them to come, so if I have to order some more, they'll be way behind. If only one sprouts, then I'll change my strategy. Maybe use the biggest potter we have, throw all my lights on it, and give it a longer veg time to maximize the size and yeild. I also got some 100w eq. CFLs to go with the floods. I didn't see the kelvin ratings on them, but they are 1600 lumins. Whatever that means.

"Kelvin is a unit increment of temperature and is one of the seven SI base units. The Kelvin scale is a thermodynamic (absolute) temperature scale where absolute zero, the theoretical absence of all thermal energy, is zero kelvin (0 K)." Whereas Lumens is a measurement of light intensity, ie the brightness or candle power (candelas) of the light. That ends todays physics lesson...lol. 6500K bulbs are in the blue spectrum(bright white bulbs) and 2700K are in the red spectrum(soft white bulbs). The blue spectrum is better for vegging and the red spectrum is better for flowering. Hope that helps in someway.

Well this is a journal, so I'm posting my list of strains that I might use for growing outside next summer. I need to post this, because I'm going to clear my shopping cart, and choose some more strains for a 2nd indoor when this one finishes.

Next years outdoor strain candidates

• Green House - The Church
  • Sensi - Early Skunk
  • Barney's Farm - Blue Cheese
  • Green House - Great White Shark
  • Delicious - Northern Light Blue
  • Lowlife - Automatic Blueberry
  • Joint Doctor - Lowryder #2 x AK47
  • Sweet - Big Devil Automatic
I need to break it down to 2 automatics, and 6 early finishing feminized plants. All of the strains listed finish early, or autoflower. And they're all feminized seeds. I just need 1 more early finisher, and help me narrow down the automatics. Any advice?

Back
Top Bottom