Concentrates

If you're doing a small batch keep the pot in a mason jar in the freezer with the iso. Take both out and put enough iso in to cover the pot a good inch. Don't bother putting a lid on it just swirl it around while holding it up to the light and as soon as you see a hint of green pout it thru the filter int another cold mason jar. Then pour in a bit more iso, swirl just a couple seconds and pour that thru too.

The rinse will get the last of the resin. You could pour the rinse into a 2nd jar to keep them separate then see how they differ. You want the jars to be cold so thermal shock won't crack them. Mason jars will take the stress better than a clean peanut butter jar as they use heat treated glass that can take a lot more stress from temperature extremes.

What percentage ISO is it you get from the store Germy? I get a 1 gal jug of 99% from the farm supply for $30.

L8r

If you're doing a small batch keep the pot in a mason jar in the freezer with the iso. Take both out and put enough iso in to cover the pot a good inch. Don't bother putting a lid on it just swirl it around while holding it up to the light and as soon as you see a hint of green pout it thru the filter int another cold mason jar. Then pour in a bit more iso, swirl just a couple seconds and pour that thru too.

The rinse will get the last of the resin. You could pour the rinse into a 2nd jar to keep them separate then see how they differ. You want the jars to be cold so thermal shock won't crack them. Mason jars will take the stress better than a clean peanut butter jar as they use heat treated glass that can take a lot more stress from temperature extremes.

What percentage ISO is it you get from the store Germy? I get a 1 gal jug of 99% from the farm supply for $30.

L8r

I get 99%, you can get 99.5 on Amazon. Good tips. Making a run in a week or so. Can't wait!!!

Either of those is good. I filter mine, rinse too, right into my still and then cook off the ISO so I can re-use it. Same with butane but a different setup. Cook off naphtha from camp stove fuel and make a little Everclear once in a while. :)

L8r

Yeah - any info on that still would be greatly appreciated. I need one so badly :). A guy I know made one using info collected from the internet but I didn't have much luck when I looked. I'll have to go shake him down I suppose.

So you have a still? What is that and how does it wash ISO?

It doesn't wash the ISO it just boils it off to a condenser then drips into a jug to reclaim the ISO. Just like making moonshine. Once about 90% has cooked off I pour the oil/iso into a pyrex pie plate to evap off the last of the iso over a simmering pot of water. A couple of half oz rinses with clean iso rinses out the bottle I cook it in. That goes in the pie plate as well.

Yeah - any info on that still would be greatly appreciated. I need one so badly :). A guy I know made one using info collected from the internet but I didn't have much luck when I looked. I'll have to go shake him down I suppose.

I would take me days to type up instructions but there is a real good website, homedistiller dot org that can tell you more than you want to know. All you need is a simple pot still. Mine is a thick glass jar that is ok with heat sitting in a big pot of water on a hot plate. I made the condenser by winding 3/8" copper tubing around a 2L pop bottle full of frozen, salty water then installing that in a 2lb/1kg coffee can. Had to drill a hole in the side of the can just at the bottom to poke the outlet from the copper coil thru. Then drilled out a penny 3/8", slipped that over the tube and soldered it in place with silver solder and lots of flux. Sand papered the penny and the surface of the coffee can around the hole for better adhesion. Worked great. Same at the top but there was 1/2" lip I drilled through to tuck the inlet end thru. Some more tubing and a couple of couplers to take it apart and a still was born. Rusted out the can for my first condenser using water in it. Took the coil out and put it in another can but put pure auto anti-freeze in there. Those frozen bottles of salty water fit in the coil to chill the condenser and I have a few in the freezer so I can swap one out as it melts on a long run. No running water in my shop and don't need it the way I rigged it.

I have 2 bottles, 1qt/L and a 5qt/5L one. Just made 2 different connecting tubes so I use the same condenser for both. I can put a whole gallon can of camp stove fuel in the big bottle and cook off the naphtha in one 6 hour run. Make Everclear once in a while for tinctures or drinking but easier to buy a bottle of that. If you can't get EverClear you can distil vodka and make your own.

Lots of fun but can be dangerous for rookies or the less than careful.

L8r

Thanks O. I'm pretty handy with that sort of stuff so promise not to haunt you if I kill myself. I'll check that website. How do you control the temps for distilling ethyl alcohol?

Just by slowly raising the temp on the hotplate until it starts boiling in the bottle than backing off just a bit. Wrap everything in insulation and the copper tubing coming out with tinfoil to keep the heat stable.

L8r

It doesn't wash the ISO it just boils it off to a condenser then drips into a jug to reclaim the ISO. Just like making moonshine. Once about 90% has cooked off I pour the oil/iso into a pyrex pie plate to evap off the last of the iso over a simmering pot of water. A couple of half oz rinses with clean iso rinses out the bottle I cook it in. That goes in the pie plate as well.

I would take me days to type up instructions but there is a real good website, homedistiller dot org that can tell you more than you want to know. All you need is a simple pot still. Mine is a thick glass jar that is ok with heat sitting in a big pot of water on a hot plate. I made the condenser by winding 3/8" copper tubing around a 2L pop bottle full of frozen, salty water then installing that in a 2lb/1kg coffee can. Had to drill a hole in the side of the can just at the bottom to poke the outlet from the copper coil thru. Then drilled out a penny 3/8", slipped that over the tube and soldered it in place with silver solder and lots of flux. Sand papered the penny and the surface of the coffee can around the hole for better adhesion. Worked great. Same at the top but there was 1/2" lip I drilled through to tuck the inlet end thru. Some more tubing and a couple of couplers to take it apart and a still was born. Rusted out the can for my first condenser using water in it. Took the coil out and put it in another can but put pure auto anti-freeze in there. Those frozen bottles of salty water fit in the coil to chill the condenser and I have a few in the freezer so I can swap one out as it melts on a long run. No running water in my shop and don't need it the way I rigged it.

I have 2 bottles, 1qt/L and a 5qt/5L one. Just made 2 different connecting tubes so I use the same condenser for both. I can put a whole gallon can of camp stove fuel in the big bottle and cook off the naphtha in one 6 hour run. Make Everclear once in a while for tinctures or drinking but easier to buy a bottle of that. If you can't get EverClear you can distil vodka and make your own.

Lots of fun but can be dangerous for rookies or the less than careful.

L8r

I'm In! Looking it up now. On a side note, a guy on YouTube making Qwiso strained it all good and finished with a coffee filter. Looked great in liquid form. My eagle eye noticed that he had lint on the fan, the end result showed. Looked good other than contaminates. Putting a screen over mine. Should work out good. I'll post my finished product.

Back
Top Bottom