Contest Question; Plant vs. Nug

Keith Lake

420 Emeritus
420 Staff
I peeled off some of the posts from the September plant of the month contest to continue the discussion here.

We'd like more feedback so we can have the best contest rules that are possible.

I'll even put up a poll in this thread if we can get some quantifiable suggestions. If little or no interest we'll leave the rules as they are.

From my standpoint - I like the current rule because it's clear (alive and still growing or cut and dead).

I respect that others feel it's not a nug until curing; but I would ask how would you determine or write the rule to make sure it was dry enough.

Hope to hear your thoughts ;)

It's gorgeous (but alive) ;)

greenisland's looks alive too... its looks really amazing, (good job ;)) but it doesn't look like a 'nug' to me... when i think of nug, i think dry and ready to smoke, a dry nug looks different then a freshly cliped 'nug' :peace:

We don't disagree Brother HighTide, but the line has to be drawn somewhere and "looks dry" is more subjective that "cut" or "not cut".

So we debated this in the back until our eyes were red and ended up with this rule set.

We can always discuss anything if there's a better way, but I don't want think about changing the rules on a contest already in progress ;)

If there's more strong feeling on this, I'm happy to open a thread in the website help and feedback forum so we can hash it out :surf:

Re: Nug of the Month Contest Definition of "Nug"

greenisland's looks alive too... its looks really amazing, (good job ;)) but it doesn't look like a 'nug' to me... when i think of nug, i think dry and ready to smoke, a dry nug looks different then a freshly cliped 'nug' :peace:

Not directed at NE 1 in this months contest, but I agree with hightide. I think of nugs as cured or at least dried bud. If its not processed, its a bud/flower not a nugget. Honestly it just really makes sense. Case and point. If I walked into a club and asked to see the freshest, top shelf, nugs they had and theu hand me a flower in bloom with erect pistils. I think I would hold up the line (purposely to show how bright this particular employee is) and just stare at them w/out saying anything until management came. IMO there is a big difference and I only spoke on it because hightide brought it up and Soniq obviously wanted to know if any one else felt the same. I do.:peace:

I respect that others feel it's not a nug until curing; but I would ask how would you determine or write the rule to make sure it was dry enough.
Hope to hear your thoughts
U can look at a bud and tell if its smokable. If it doesn't meet the criteria of the rule, don't allow the entry. With the rules the way that they are, what stops a plant of the month winner from the last month enter the exact same plant in the contest the next month under nug of the month and it the same almost exact pic of the plant cut at the base and held up in his hand (right after harvest, b4 curing or drying). This isn't directed at NE1 I take em like that too (not for the contest). So I'm saying, thru curing pistils brown and "draw up" or "lay down" after a slow dehydration process. Chlorophyll also breaks down and the dark green color fades some. Trichomes dry and sparkle more like diamond flakes under sunlight. Wet weed has plump resin glands and looks "wet" and green. Point is, its plain as day to see for most stoners. I mean if u can't eyeball a nug, what kinda stonner are u? A schwag man's dream, thats what lol. Hell the person knows what it is b4 they enter it into the contests. people get away with what u let them. Contestants din't really have a say so until some one takes the time to listen like u have. Thank u Soniq420. +rep

My two cent... I agree with BWC BayArea. A nug is a smokeable finely cure bud, I thought? We are voting for color, trich sparkle and size of a dryed bud. Should be ready to smoke. A huge cola freshly cut should not be allowed. But who I'm I?

imo there should be a garden of the month contest added, alot of the entrys in the "plant" of the month are many plants in a garden, i understand that some forms of growing wont allow you single out 1 plant for a picture but it seems, to put a garden up against a plant in a bucket creates an unfair advantage ... :peace:

I hear your Brother Weedpipe, but we've got a moratorium on new contests until we can get way more help. Rob would take my lighter away if I even brought it up again ;)

On first look, you'd think the multi plant or garden entries would have the advantage over the single plant - until you look at the winners - the last two were single plants (I didn't check any further back)

So some questions for the advocates of changing the rules

1) Would you let the cut cola be in the plant of the month

2) how dry is dry? BWC's comment about "all stoner know a bud", really only addresses once it's fully dried. Where's the bright line? Don't you guys anticipate that people might start posting less and less cured colas because they're larger, more colorful, and more differentiated?

Please answer this directly or better yet propose the specific language for the rule change; and I'll take this to the staff huddle.

Thx to all for your input. I want to do what I can to make the contests the most fun as possible.

2) how dry is dry? BWC's comment about "all stoner know a bud", really only addresses once it's fully dried. Where's the bright line? Don't you guys anticipate that people might start posting less and less cured colas because they're larger, more colorful, and more differentiated?

Please answer this directly or better yet propose the specific language for the rule change; and I'll take this to the staff huddle.

Thx to all for your input. I want to do what I can to make the contests the most fun as possible.
1) Yes, only if its accompanied by a pic a the plant from which it came while it was still living. Personally I would draw the line at a pre-drying manicure of a fresh bud for POM.
2)No, Like I said its obvious. If the pistils still stand up it should be an automatic disqualification for that particular entry in this particular contest. The member with a disqualifying get 1 re entry after getting 1 entry disqualified in the same contest, same month. Somethin to smoke over Soniq. Thanks for the eat bro.

1st draft suggestion of new POM criteria

1) Yes, only if its accompanied by a pic a the plant from which it came while it was still living. Personally I would draw the line at a pre-drying manicure of a fresh bud for POM.
2)No, Like I said its obvious. If the pistils still stand (like this>
DCxSC_day_55.JPG
) up it should be an automatic disqualification for that particular entry in this particular contest. As well as if the smaller leaves emerging from the cola are not obviously dry. Here's an example of obviously dried but unmanicured bud, look at the leaves>
B4_manicure.jpg
DCXSC_SOG_5_1_gal_unmanicured.JPG
(on unmanicred bud) The member with a disqualifying entry should get only 1 re entry after getting the 1st entry disqualified in the same contest, same month. I would also allow something like this as well (manicures and ready tho be cut into shorter lengths for a cure)>
DCxSC_SOG_5_1_gal_manicure.JPG
Somethin to smoke over Soniq. Thanks for the ear bro. Remember guys this is my personal opinion. Let's hear urs.

I know u want us to respond here but u responded to my last post in the NOG forum Soniq. I realize there are definitive rules already in place. u chopped my quote in half. the rest of the sentence was "...to make competition as fair as possible". Yea there's a system in place that works, but as with most things there's room 4 improvement and the people have spoken.

Well, Im sorry I didnt get in here sooner. I understand the whole "where do you draw the line" thing that soniqu420 brought up. Another thought is that what if we do make these changes? does that meen that someone with a fresh nug is not allowed to enter until it is dry. Having the contest open allows all people to compete, whether they have a nug from a dispenary or if they grew it themselves. So many times I have had plants that looked 1000 times nicer still a little fresh and other times have it look a 1000times better dried. I would like to be able to enter either picture... but, that wouldnt be allowed if the rules changed. I know many people have said that you can tell dried bud from not dried bud but sometimes there are exceptions to this . To be able to disqualify someone elses picture off of someone elses perception of "dried and cured" seems somewhat unfair to me. Would this change mean that someone like soniq420 would have to go around and check all the pictures entered for whether or not they looked dried and cured enough. And if they dont post a pic thats dry enough for him does he keep a list of people who have "broken the rules"? Honestly I like the way it is now, but thats just how Im used to it. And it seems like a change like this would add a lot of work for soniq420 and the moderating team (who already work so hard). Im just playing devils advocate with most of the things I brought up but hopefully in the end everyone is happy. Also I was looking at the pictures above and they are pretty fuzzy, and with pics like that its quite difficult to determine how dry they really are sometimes, so thats also something we need to think about, because not every picture entered is of the highest quality. I will try and post some pics that I think would be difficult to differentiate between dry and not dry. Gimme a few hours. In the end its just weird to me that the contest has made it this far with the same rules and guidlines and this is the first time the dried and cured thing has come up (as far as I know, Im still pretty new). And if its worked this long it seems like the rules have worked rather well. And one more thing, I understand that no self respecting "stoner" would smoke a completally wet bud/nug but on more than one occasion Ive had a friend say "get over here you gotta see this fat nug" and he would be talking about a nug still alive and on the plant. So my point is this ,..Im not so sure that the term "nug" only relates to dried and cured buds. Ive heard "nug" used from anything to still growing nugs to dried and cured turning to dust nugs and everything in between. So no, a dispensary would have to be stupid to try and sell you a wet nug but were not here trying to sell our nugs, were here trying to show our nugs off in their best light and that may be when their still wet or it may be when its cured and dried. Another way I looked at it was ...if I was to go into a museum that displayed different kinds of pot and the nugs they make, I would like to see fresh, dried and cured nugs, which is exactly what we have here, and thats why I like it the way it is, we get variety variety variety!. Just my two cents,...sorry to be going against the grain here, its really not the way I would have chosen it. It just feels like there should be someone showing whats good about the rules that we have now, before we change them forever.:peace::rollit:

Excellent thread though, a lot of good thoughts here.:nicethread::thanks:

It appears that we could all benefit from an official 420mag definition of "nug". The root of confusion appears to stem from this. Greenisland I respect ur opinion and am too relaxed at the moment to type a lengthy response. I do understand some of what ur sayin tho. I feel u. I'm not to big on change once I'm used to somethin either. I think its called bein human. I don't even participate in this comp. Rules just seem loose and vague IMO. Ability to enter some1 else's work (like me goin to a music store, buyin a Mike Jackson album, burn it, and putting my name and face on the cover w/my pic), entering nugs and questionable nugs w/out even having a definition of nug in the rule so we're all left to our own interpretation. Hell I got started now might as well finish a lengthy response. As for the pics. The main thing to see/look 4 IMO on an unmanicured bud are the leaves' shape, texture, and colo (leaves and pistils). Wrinkled, dry, leaves, pointing up (from upside down drying on lines or laying on side over a screen will do this every time) and brown (partially brown) and "drawn up" or "curly" like a black dude's hair. How clear do u need it to be. I was proving a point not entering the contest. I do admit, got a cheap camera, not much patience, and I'm not really into photography. My appologies, its the best I had at the moment. If u got some clearer 1s that help illustrate ur vision, expectations, and/or explaination I'm eyes/ears here. Yea I was suggesting that Soniq uses his discretion, which isn't added work because he does this any way. Its in the job description. If someone entered an orchid or pile of horse shit, this dude volunteered to do this. I really don't think he minds reviewing photos. Then if he does it, who's gonna sit there and try to argue with a person who works for us all free of charge? An asshole to answer my own question. Ultimately its up to staff and I'm happy that Rob, Soniq420, Racefan, Ms.fox. Propa Gator, Mc Budz, and Happy Kitty are here on a daily basis doin what they do so we can fellowship here doin what we do comfortably while all doin their part to spread cannabis awareness daily, 365, 24/7. Honestly if the work load is too heavy, its not like they don't have resources. I know for a fact I'm not the only person that expressed interest in helping. There are others that wish to help staff in various ways, its just up to their discretion who does and doesn't get to. Kinda why I post as much as I do, to help with the workload and I know I can't be the only one. So as far as the workload goes, doesn't seem like NE more work than what exists, just proposing an addendum to a rather vague set of rules and a clear definition of nug for all intents and purposes for competition in Nug of the Month contest. Green, despite our differences of opinion I respect urs. Well put. Now lets hope we get some clarity from this. Just had an idea, it would be cool to see both pics of the same bud, wet and dry. Seems like a fair compromise and it really allows the grower to be recognized for their work.

Yes it would be nice to see both the wet and dry pics however it would cut people out. People who get their stuff from a pot club in other words. Well I think we have given soniq420 and the staff something to think about either way. The contests have seemed to really take off here in the last couple months, which is great!

It appears that we could all benefit from an official 420mag definition of "nug". The root of confusion appears to stem from this. Greenisland I respect ur opinion and am too relaxed at the moment to type a lengthy response. I do understand some of what ur sayin tho. I feel u. I'm not to big on change once I'm used to somethin either. I think its called bein human. I don't even participate in this comp. Rules just seem loose and vague IMO. Ability to enter some1 else's work (like me goin to a music store, buyin a Mike Jackson album, burn it, and putting my name and face on the cover w/my pic), entering nugs and questionable nugs w/out even having a definition of nug in the rule so we're all left to our own interpretation. Hell I got started now might as well finish a lengthy response. As for the pics. The main thing to see/look 4 IMO on an unmanicured bud are the leaves' shape, texture, and colo (leaves and pistils). Wrinkled, dry, leaves, pointing up (from upside down drying on lines or laying on side over a screen will do this every time) and brown (partially brown) and "drawn up" or "curly" like a black dude's hair. How clear do u need it to be. I was proving a point not entering the contest. I do admit, got a cheap camera, not much patience, and I'm not really into photography. My appologies, its the best I had at the moment. If u got some clearer 1s that help illustrate ur vision, expectations, and/or explaination I'm eyes/ears here. Yea I was suggesting that Soniq uses his discretion, which isn't added work because he does this any way. Its in the job description. If someone entered an orchid or pile of horse shit, this dude volunteered to do this. I really don't think he minds reviewing photos. Then if he does it, who's gonna sit there and try to argue with a person who works for us all free of charge? An asshole to answer my own question. Ultimately its up to staff and I'm happy that Rob, Soniq420, Racefan, Ms.fox. Propa Gator, Mc Budz, and Happy Kitty are here on a daily basis doin what they do so we can fellowship here doin what we do comfortably while all doin their part to spread cannabis awareness daily, 365, 24/7. Honestly if the work load is too heavy, its not like they don't have resources. I know for a fact I'm not the only person that expressed interest in helping. There are others that wish to help staff in various ways, its just up to their discretion who does and doesn't get to. Kinda why I post as much as I do, to help with the workload and I know I can't be the only one. So as far as the workload goes, doesn't seem like NE more work than what exists, just proposing an addendum to a rather vague set of rules and a clear definition of nug for all intents and purposes for competition in Nug of the Month contest. Green, despite our differences of opinion I respect urs. Well put. Now lets hope we get some clarity from this. Just had an idea, it would be cool to see both pics of the same bud, wet and dry. Seems like a fair compromise and it really allows the grower to be recognized for their work.

.....am too relaxed at the moment to type a lengthy response.
:hmmmm: ;)

Back
Top Bottom