Contest Awards - Input Needed

Please Vote For Contest Rule Changes

• Keep things the same

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Do away with runner ups (old winners keep titles)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Do away with runner ups (old winners lose titles)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners keep titles)

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Do away with runner up titles but still award the rep points (old winners lose titles)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Add the date for the latest win to the member's title

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Do not add the date for the latest win to the member's title

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Speaking as a small time grower. I sit and think "wow I could actually get 2 or 3 place!". And adding that to my avatar for life would be a kick.
Guess I'm to used to the military Ribbon system. I was proud to wear mine.
It told every one I done things that others had not.
After all we are here to encourage others.

southern I had no idea people were complaining and shit like that,its no doubt it is them complainers that brought this whole thing up,well if thats the case shut down the whole contest,you guys don't need that crap,see what the oldman just said,he would get a kick out of getting 2nd or 3rd and I'm sure hes not 1 of the complainers that is who the contest should before.

as a former winner i enjoy the competiton. I want something tangeble though send me a 420-magazine shirt or poster pass out intangeble rep points to the runner ups. The title is sweet though it does say "hey i got the dank" lol. too much thought into a contest that is just for fun. Make it for $500 and well have a competition. Just sayin lets keep it fun. All participants should recieve some sort of points for playin. Winner should get a shirt or glass mailed to him. Shi we give stuff away everyday just for showin up!

southern I had no idea people were complaining and shit like that,its no doubt it is them complainers that brought this whole thing up,well if thats the case shut down the whole contest,you guys don't need that crap,see what the oldman just said,he would get a kick out of getting 2nd or 3rd and I'm sure hes not 1 of the complainers that is who the contest should before.

It's cool Brother spike.

We're asking for input here, and we appreciate everyone's opinion.

SouthernWeed is expressing his opinion; which is what we asked for. We're not shutting down the contests, they're a great showcase for the site, the members like them, and they're an inspiration to budding young growers.

I don't want to put words in my good friends mouth, but I think he's speaking out primarily about the scenario where people lobby for rule changes to gain a personal advantage.

This isn't what's happening in this thread ;) This started because people with 2nd and 3rd place titles are suggesting we drop them to help make first place more prestigious

Keep those comments coming, we're getting some great perspective.

We're mature Cannaphiles around here, when we ask for input we want to hear it

I wanted to put my 2 cents in. I wanted to remind folks that there are beginners and season growers constantly coming and going through the mj forums. Some do really well and some don't, but everybody still loves there buds. There isn't not one grower on the boards where I can say "I wouldn't smoke that weed". Just to be able to participate in the contests means each member is already a winner. I say let as many awards go out as possible to spread the word that 420 mag has many of good growers and not just a select few.
If you need things to be more prestigious, then you should be going after the titles of bud of the year and plant of the year. To be chosen from for that should make some feel special or a title they would want. If you want or need more than this then you should go after something more dedicating like grow support or grow mod. Now those are worthy titles.

So lets keep as many winners as possible. I don't care if its 2nd or third or even 4th lol.
My opinian We are all Harvesters Of Happiness.

When I first came here... I used number of posts, and rep to determinethe experiance of the poster. Tittles seen to be recognition of that. I think the winner should get a free membership to 420girls.... I would soooooooooooooo try to win everything

Would it be possible to append the "winner" tags below the user names to include the month and year? Example, "Plant of the Month Winner - August 2009."

I've already gotten the approval for "of the year" contests. Each of the monthly winners are automatically entered

Great feedback so far

I agree it's impressive we can have the flame free adult discussion. I don't think you could pull that off even on alt.passive-nerd.net

I like what 420fied said, its quick, easy, simple, and fair. One thing for sure though is If I do happen to win a POM, or NOM I dont want to be barred from putting up my pics in the next months contest thread. Even if I cannot win thats fine, just as long as I could have my pics seen I will be happy. I think the contests are just great for everyone, including (hopefully) for the people who run this forum. I for instance came to this forum for the sole reason of showcasing some of my hard work so other people can appreciate it like I have. And so I could talk and discuss something I love so much (the MJ plant.) And all without having to worry about ridicule or the person your talking to kicking in your door the next day and stealing all your plants and hard work. Thats why these forums are great, because we can talk freely about something that most of us are very secretive and private about, thats what I love about this place. In any case I love the site, I love this forum, whatever you do decide to do, im sure it will be the right thing soniq420. Just please dont take away my need to show others my fine looking girls (and sometimes my fine looking girls with partially nude fine looking girlfriends elsewhere in the pic). Thx for the PM for this thread Andy. Theres my two cents, or maybe 3 (is was kinda long, sorry) hope it helps ur decision process though.

Question for Ya Greenisland

I for instance came to this forum for the sole reason of showcasing some of my hard work so other people can appreciate it like I have. And so I could talk and discuss something I love so much (the MJ plant.) And all without having to worry about ridicule or the person your talking to kicking in your door the next day and stealing all your plants and hard work.
When I read this I said to myself "He must be from California."
I'll b e damned if I didn't look and see that in ur avatar. That's a disturbing way to be able to identify with ur countrymen, lol. Since u stated ur reasons for coming to the site were partially to display ur work I wanted to ask if u still were having fun with the current contest amid contest rule discussions?

YES!! Without a doubt! I love looking at everyones nicest plants and nugs every day, sometimes its the highlight of my day even. It would seem like the highlight of my day should be walking in my garden evryday but,... I cant, everyday,..so sometimes yes, the POM and NOM and MOM contests are the highlight of my day, and I still have fun. I would also like to say that if we were to start putting a date stamp on the winners title as well as listing how many times that person has won that title, it seems to me that even if you had won all the contests the sky is the limit as far as to what you can do here. And it wouldnt devalue your title at all because you can be say "10 time POM winner 9/09" The date would always be of the last contest won, that way people can quickly see how up to date you are on this forum and it doesnt get crazy with a whole lot of dates. Like for instance lets say you won POM in january 09, and NOM in march 09 you would only have one time stamp in that persons heading and it would be the last contest they won whether it be POM, NOM, or MOM. And eventually im sure we will see things like 3XPOM winner (10/09), 2XNOM winner, MOM winner. etc. if you put the last dates of winning for each category it may get a little lengthy but either way would work. Im just trying to thing of easy, simple, and fair ways of doing things without adding a huge workload to the already hefty loads of our moderators here (im assuming you have hefty workloads, lol, you guys are always busy doing something! lol..) Just as long as the rules dont say I cant post my pretty pics ever, Im fine with whatever you guys decide, rules are rules and I will navigate around whatever rules are in place to get my plants seen, lol. Anyhow, once again hope that helps.

And yeah thats crazy BWC Bayarea, that you fealt that way but thats the sad truth about this Hobby/Medicine. Cant say anything about anything without worrying for your life and your crops life around here, or most places in the states for that matter.

Like I said before, whatever changes you do make if you make any at all Im sure will be the right ones, you moderators KICK ASS!!!!! You ALL do just lovely work, thank you!(I hope you all see that!!, you guys, and girls. You deserve it!!! Well you deserve more than that but thats all I have to offer, lol. sorry)

Yeah it would seem that 420fieds idea is becoming popular with the masses, only difference I would suggest is the whole date stamp thing, it really makes sense amd being able to say 3XPOM winner makes sense too, that way you never really reach your maximum potential here, and you can just keep adding and adding to your rep and all. Like I said earlier I think that would also help with the concern that people have of the titles getting "lame". Cause anyone who has won say 3 POMs is not lame to me. And it leaves the titles open to an unlimited supply of growth for the future. What does everyone else think? Even in the olympics you can win gold a number of times, and it doesnt get lame because you can keep on winning them as long as you compete. And it seems like that same idea would transfer well to these contests. Anyhow theres my thoughts once again. What does everyone else think?

If you win 12 gold medals you have to take a bong hit (oh wait that's Michael Phelps)

I like the date of the winner in the title, but how do you handle multiple titles. I need to experiment and see how long a title is possible.

If you win the trifecta and have date next to each, it might be too long.

I'll do it with my title temporarily and see how many characters fit.

Yeah thats why you just post the date of the last contest the person won, like I saying earlier. we dont need to know when they last won every tile they have we just need to know how recently they have won ANY title so we can tell how up to date that particular person is on this forum. I even put an example in my message earlier about what Im talking about a few posts back. It would look something like this 3xPOM winner, 3xNOM winner(10/09),MOM winner. the date just lets us know whether that person has won anything anytime recently. To have a date for each is kinda overkill. But if you just put the date of the last title won by that person it helps others to know where that other person stands on reputation amd how recently they have been involved in such contests. Ya get me Soniq?

Back
Top Bottom