Crane's Organic Soil 315W CMD OG Kush Grow Journal, 2018

Day 21 veg. My quadlining attempts continue, I removed some shade leaves to let light reach the third node branches better.
IMG_20181011_061959.jpg

And it really seems like the comfrey foliar did something, I could swear that there's some deeper green colour in the new part of the leaves of the Pencil Neck. And it generally looks a bit more cheerful. Yay death smelling foliar!
IMG_20181011_062102.jpg

Feeling a bit depressed about the grow today. The Pencil Neck is not recovering well enough to be a keeper for flowering I'm starting to think... I have those two Hindu Kushes and the Cheese CBD, but they are couple of weeks behind the OG's,and still need to be transplanted etc so by that time the two keeper OG's are gonna be way bigger than those.... I dunno.

There's some deficiency issues I'm pondering over... then again the healthiest looking plant is the one that is the furthest away from the light... so I'm a little undecided whether to try adding nutes or just raising the light by a few inches? I just hope to start flowering in a couple of weeks so I really would wish to get this overwith soon. Who wouldn't,then again, eh? :reading420magazine:

Hey dont sweat it. From the photos so far plants look ok. Maybe not the perfect plants we'd all like but you go with wot yah got. :) If you think its a light issue i would address that first before adding any more nutes. Soil grows, particularly ones under way fro a few weeks, will normally have plenty of nutes in the soil to keep the plant fairly healthy. Not like hydro where things change very quickly.

I gave a stronger dose of grow nutes to the two afflicted plants, with some homemade CalMag. The soil wasn't quite as dry yet but I had to get the nutes in. And it really seems like maybe it was just an N-deficiency mostly (KISS-principle in action) my soil mix probably is quite poor in nutes now that I think of it; mainly kitchen compost with no manure, coco coir and some low-grade potting soil. I gotta be a little more daring with dosing the nutes, and not go with the "half of recommended" -philosophy.

It really is a mistake to start seeds straight in big pots unless your soil mix is really good. You can't water the plants for weeks even if they beg for nutes. So lesson learned there.

I try to get some photos tomorrow. I'll transplant the Cheese CBD and Hindu Kush in a couple of days, and as soon as they seem to have gotten over that shock I'll change to 12/12.

And oh yeah, I lifted the light up a little as well, it's now at about 20".

The New Hope. Day 27 veg. The deficiencies/whatever it was seem to be getting better. I'm quadlining the Big One, LST'ed the Pencil Neck and just plain topped the Bushy, as she was getting way too tall. The seedlings I will keep all of them, I'll plant the two Hindu Kushes into the same pot I just don't have the heart two throw either one away ;) I'd say a week more and then we're changing to 12/12.

IMG_20181017_061256.jpg
IMG_20181017_061803.jpg
IMG_20181017_062125.jpg
IMG_20181017_062228.jpg
IMG_20181017_062316.jpg

So I'm trying to get my head around which way is up here,concerning why I have had this much problems with this grow. All the other OG's except the Bushy are in the same soil mix, that has a lot less compost than Bushy's mix. So if there was a pH problem or if the compost wasn't quite done yet, then why would Bushy be doing so well in her mix which is only compost,perlite and vermiculite? Is the compost just deficient in Mag, because I'm seeing improvement after I water with molasses, not so much with N? Is it just too hot in the closet? Ugh, it doesn't add up....

So I'm trying to get my head around which way is up here,concerning why I have had this much problems with this grow. All the other OG's except the Bushy are in the same soil mix, that has a lot less compost than Bushy's mix. So if there was a pH problem or if the compost wasn't quite done yet, then why would Bushy be doing so well in her mix which is only compost,perlite and vermiculite? Is the compost just deficient in Mag, because I'm seeing improvement after I water with molasses, not so much with N? Is it just too hot in the closet? Ugh, it doesn't add up....

Can't really help with the soil issue but that quadline is looking super nice! Some of those big fans can come off but I'd keep them on until you figure out the soil issues. They can act as a bit of a safety net for problems so I wouldn't take them quite yet.

Hey dude. Despair not. You have plants that will give thee buds and have probably learned a bit wot!! :)

On Soil, from your op.

"My soil mix is approx. 10/10/20/60 perlite/home compost/coco/garden center bagged soil. Also threw in a cup of gypsum and a cup of worm castings (in a total amount of maybe 13 gallons). "

My 2c worth would be next time use a basic mix that is mainly coarse sand with a bit of coco peat. ok ...add about 10% compost...as long as its not too hot and is well aged. A little osmocote, and a little generic NPK fertiliser (we are talking a teaspoon or two to 60- 80l here). Get one of those colormetric soil pH test kits and add dolomite / CaCo3 as needed to get it around 6.5. That, really well mixed, and then add an equal volume of perlite so you have 50/50 soil mix / perlite.

My opinion....... that will give you a mix that wont burn new seedlings, but will have some nutes there for them. Give the new seedlings NUTHIN but water for the first 4 weeks while all the action is below ground developing roots. The mix will have enough air space so that it will be VERY hard to over water them and you will get a nice healthy root zone.

Anyhow, suits me, and you'll work out what suits you over time. :)

Seeyahs!

And we're off to 12/12. The OG's got about 32 days of vegging and the small ones about 17 days. The Bushy was od'ing on N, I gave it only water and it seems better now. The others were deficient on N and they got quite a lot of nutes and also seem better. It's been quite a hassle so I would not mind a straight forward 8 weeks of flowering.
IMG_20181023_062652.jpg

Day 8 flowering. I've been all over the forums asking about the pH problem I found out; they are all under 6. Maybe that'll explain all the problems. I'm gonna adjust the pH up on all waterings,I don't think I'm gonna mess with adding lime or anything, that would be really difficult to get just right dosage wise.

The plants are showing some stretching, but we're talking just an inch or two... I dunno, I am considering pulling them and starting over once more...

IMG_20181031_062142.jpg

Hey there, nice looking set up, dig the strains you got going on too.

I had a similar run my first go with organic soil. I was giving foliars and made the occasional ACT. Turns out I may have been providing too many things as my soil was fresh and full of amendments. I stopped all of that and my grows improved.

Is it possible your plants just need what’s in the soil right now? Plain water?

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom