Cy's Organic Grow From Seed

I like to think we all look back and say "Man, if I had just done XYZ then I would have had a better harvest." That's like anything in life it seems, we could have done things better, but in the end all that really matters is if YOU are happy with the outcome. I know if my plants looked like yours at the end I would be pleased as punch!
Yeah, Juan Carlos, you're right. These plants look great, and I am happy with the results. I'm nut sure how much I will get, but what I do get will be some quality stuff.

Merry Christmas and stuff to you and yours Cy. :love: I don't believe I'll ever get past the awe of how two plants from the same source can turn out so differently. #1 is all stout and chunky as hell and #2 is a statuesque beauty with enticing come-hither buds. :laughtwo: I'll be interested in hearing if the buzz is significantly different between them.

I've always said this is the gold standard soil mix. Here you are proving me right again.

SweetSue, over the years I have seen about a thousand different phenos of this strain. When my dad found one he liked, he would clone it for a while, then back cross it with some seeds from the year before. If you notice the plant that my dad gave me for this next run, you'll notice that it is also a completely different plant than the other 2 that I have in bloom. Interesting plants to say the least. I am also very interested to see if there is going to be a difference between the two when I finally get to do a smoke report. I have a few buds drying from #1, and will definitely let you know how it goes within the next few days. I can't cut any from #2 just yet. Well I can, but I just can't bring myself to that point yet. The buds look like they're going to start fox tailing, so I'm just going to let them do their thing. #2 looks prehistoric to me. I can't wait to smoke it, but really want to wait until it gets to it full potential.

Gold standard soil....I couldn't put it better myself.Gold standard my even be an understatement. It is that freaking good. I know this is more of a high brix site, and I respect the hell outta Doc Bud, but self sufficient is the way for me. Id try a kit if it were given to me, but I won't be buying one anytime soon. I also believe that a living organic soil will produce high brix weed. I would like to put a brix meter onto one of my plants to see what reading I'll get, but that requires spending money on a stupid meter. A definite no/no in my world of self sufficiency. No meters, all feel. Anyway Susan, I hope you're enjoying your vacation in the valley of the sun, and can't wait to see what you have in store for you're next run. Merry Christmas to you, and all of my friend here at 420 mag. Talk to you later. ---------Cy

My kit was given to me. It just showed up one day. Doc had my address because he sold me the Dorm Grow 450 for shipping (broken, but the company repaired it to like new at no cost to me). Some anonymous person was so taken with my passion he wanted me to experience the kit.

What attracted Doc to my LOS grow was the obvious high brix plants my soil was growing. It's what drew all the HB guys before I started with the kit. My greatest problem with that process isn't the continual investment in more kit components but the inability of that soil matrix to support worms. Soil, in my opinion, must be capable of supporting more life than the plants growing in it, so I never considered it soil, no matter what the rhetoric. It's a growing matrix that requires the application of the drenches and foliar sprays included with the package.

I grew amazing plants with it, and the quality rivals, and in some cases may surpass what I grow in my no-tills. What I do know is that the LOS grows high brix plants with very little effort or input from me. It's where my passion stayed, although I neglected my soils somewhat while I was caught up in using the kit. I recommend the kit, if that's your style, but this CC mix is my future and I've always known that.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Cy. :love:

Thank you all for stopping by. JC, Lighting has been my biggest problem during this grow. I attribute that to my lazieness. If I had my lighting dialed in from the beginning, I think I'd have some bigger plants. Not to mention, my light leaks that turned my plants into hermaphrodites. But yes, the actual growing and tending to the plants has been quite effortless. In organics, you must first understand that GOOD compost is your best friend. When your soil has the ability to hold many different nutrients, your plants are able to decide what nutrients it needs. Look, we can get scientific if we want to, but people have been organic gardening for thousands of years. With great sucess, I might add. But basically, if your soil is dialed in to the specific plant that your growing, you should have no problems. With that being said, I'd like to send a big shout out to Clackamas Cootz for leading the way, and showing people that you can be a successful self sufficient gardener. It's really not that hard. And like Magic Jim said, the simple things work well. Merry Christmas and Stuff everyone.

20151223_043508-1.jpg
20151223_043325-1.jpg
20151223_043309-1.jpg
20151223_043432-1.jpg
20151223_043422-1.jpg

You know some strains just grown really slow. I have had a king louie vegging for like 14 or 15 weeks and it's barley over 2 feet. It does not lIke being topped or supper cropped. Any form of stress stops it's growth for like a week. It looks super healthy tho.

Also some strains just don't like to be grown inside. Your dad has been growing that strain outdoor for years. Maybe they just picked up an anti indoor genetic in that time. Marry christmas and good to see everything flowing :)

You know some strains just grown really slow. I have had a king louie vegging for like 14 or 15 weeks and it's barley over 2 feet. It does not lIke being topped or supper cropped. Any form of stress stops it's growth for like a week. It looks super healthy tho.

Also some strains just don't like to be grown inside. Your dad has been growing that strain outdoor for years. Maybe they just picked up an anti indoor genetic in that time. Marry christmas and good to see everything flowing :)

Hey DV thanks for stopping by. These plants did very well. I topped them, and took some cuttings, so that was a definite factor as to why these plants took so long. I was also expecting this run to be very slow. Like you said, they have been grown outdoors for the last 4decades. They weren't meant to be grown indoors. The plants that are in veg now are a lot faster. I haven't topped them, or done anything else to stress them out too much.

I hope everyone had a happy holiday. I myself spent most of my time putting toys, race tracks and doll houses together. Good times.. I also harvested plant #1.
20151226_195403-1.jpg
20151226_195958-1.jpg

Probably about a week early. This plant is a hermie. It started to pop out some more bananas, and I couldn't take it anymore. Chop, Chop.

Smoke report. #1. Here is a small nug I chopped about a week ago. I'll have a better report as time goes on, but for now, Im bored, and would like to share my experience with you.
20151226_113229.jpg

Super sticky. Still green. I smoked this joint right before I had to drive. Very smooth, sweet, with a spicy, earthy, mintieness. I honestly couldn't believe how good this smoke tasted dispite the quick dry. The car ride was a very interesting ride. I went through every different effect that being stoned can bring. At first it was great. Then I got a little paranoid because I was high as hell while I'm driving. I hope I dot get pulled over. Okay 10 and 2 right? Well something like that. Stay focused Cyrus. Then I started to think about work.. Ahh shit this sucks. Why am I thinking about work? this is totally killing my high. I go through the list of work that has to be done before my inspecton, and I start getting a little overwhelmed. Then, the Fuck it effect starts to take over, and I took a bite of my doughnut, and said "Fuck it man, if it doesn't get done, what are they going to do fire me?" I had a good laugh when it was all said and done. This stuff is stoney as hell. I haven't been paranoid in a long time. I don't like being paranoid, so I guess I won't be smoking an entire joint to the face anytime soon. All in all, I'm happy with the effects. I was functional for the entire day, and that's about all I can ask.
Take care everyone.

20151230_045157-1.jpg
20151230_045229-1.jpg
20151230_045235-1.jpg
20151230_045139-1.jpg
20151229_170705-1.jpg
20151229_171151-1.jpg

Happy New Year everyone!!! And thank you all for stopping by. A hermie harvest is still a harvest, and I am thankful for that, but it is very frustrating. On the brightside, the buds look good, and they should be dry in a couple days.

#2. This is the one. I made the mistake of calling it runner up along time ago, and I'll just have to wear that one. I'm confused. The fan leaves are dying off, but the bud is still growing. I'm thinking it's a genetic thing. Atleast I hope it is. It could also be a Nitrogen issue. When I re-amend this soil I'll make sure to add a bit more N to the mix. Nevertheless, it's getting really close to harvest. Some of the flowers are turning purple, probably because it's cold, but it's still a nice thing to loOK at. This plant has and old school feel to it, and I'm an old soul at heart. So it right in my wheelhouse. Have a great day everyone, and stay warm.---------Cy

Beautiful Cy. Could it be that the fan leaves are simply going necrotic because it's time for harvest? She certainly looks like she's close now.

Happy New Year to you and yours Cy. May the best of this year be the worst of the next. :love:

Hey Sue! Thanks for stopping by. I would have to agree with you. This baby is just about there. The only thing is that it keeps on shooting out pistils, which makes me think that it isn't all the way done. Either way, I'm chopping it Saturday or Sunday. Sunday will be 10 full weeks in bloom. Today will be its last day of light. As you know, TOAST keeps his gals in the dark for the last few days to get some extra frost on the buds, and I've built up the courage to give this method a shot. I'm learning things all the time, and part of learning is failing. If I fail, well, I gave it a shot. What can I say. Lem is oldskool, and he knows what he's doing, so why not give it a try.

I'm in the process of reamending my soil. First off, I'd like to send some love out to bobrown. This dude has major skills. If you're reading my journal and haven't checked out BB, you seriously need to ask yourself why not? The guy is on point with organics. In his journal, he explains how he harvests earthworm casting from his local woodlands. A major money saver, and the quality of the castings is superior to any casting you can buy at a store. Even local worm farms are suspect in my book. Why? You ask. Well, you don't know what the worms are being fed, and for all we know, they could be eating junk that has no benifits to the plants whatsoever. Anyway, bobrown sent me in the right direction. Thanks BB. I'm lucky enough to live in some of the most fertile land in the country. My yard is loaded with worms, probably because I compost, and amend my garden with everything that I use in my indoor garden. There's a big plum tree in my yard, and just like BB said, move the layer of leaves, and you'll see a ton of EWC. I took a scooper, filled up a 2 gallon pot with some fresh castings and top dressed my soil. I also added my basic amendments to the soil. I didn't measure, I don't measure, and probably never will. But here's what I added, all rough estimates.
These pots are about 1.5 cubic ft.
3/4 cup alfalfa meal.
1/2 cup bat guano (I don't like using this stuff and won't by it again, but I can't waste it)
1cup need meal
1cup gypsum
1cup green sand
1.5 cup kelp meal
1 cup soft rock phosphate
1cup crushed coral. (You can buy this stuff at the fish store for cheap. I have some left over from my old chiclid tank. Calcium carbonate. Good shit.)
About 10 or 15 shrimp shells. I usually harvest sand crab shells from the beach, but shrimp shells will work just as well. The shells are made of chitin, and so are the mouths of certain larvae. The microbe's that eat chitin will attack the larvae and eat their mouths. Also, insects exoskeletons are made of chitin, which is why they stay away from my soil.)
1.5 cups of crushed lava rock
1.5 cups of basalt rock dust
I also threw all of my leaves into the soil. Rule #1 with organics is you put back what you take out. Plants drain a lot of nutrients from the soil, so it's important to put that energy back into the ground. I know most of you think I'm crazy for not saving the sugar leaves, and I'm here to tell you that I am crazy, and the worms deserve to get high too. Happy worms mean happy plants.
P.s. all amendments are from E.B. Stone organics, a local company. Buy Local. Local is always the best. Sorry no pics. I'll post some layer when I have time to upload them. Well, my tain is coming to my stop, and it's time for me to bail. Take care everyone!

Hey there DV. Happy New Year's buddy. And Happy New Years to everyone here at 420 mag. Thanks for the compliment. The Blue Dream you have is looking great, and I'm interested in how much you're going harvest. It looks to be quite a bit for one plant and it seems like you have your Scrog method dialed in. I will definitely be trying a Scrog method in 2016, and your journal will have the blue prints for me.

Final flush is a good topic, and Im glad that you brought it up. Final flush does not happen in a real organic grow. The elements that are broken down by the microorganisms and left readily available for the plant stay in the soil. Final flush is a hydro, bottle nutrients thing. I grow my plants like granny grows her tomatoes. And that all starts with good humus. Humus has a very high CEC, or cation exchange capacity. When the organic material is broken down, the nutrients are left in the soil waiting for a root hair to come in contact with it so they could exchange ions. In soil, the nutrients are taken out only by the plants, and fungus that live in the soil. Flushing will not discard any excess nutrients in an organic grow. It only hurts the plant. If anyone is interested in this topic, just Google Cation Exchange Capacity. A shit ton of stuff will come up, and I'm sure that someone out there will be able to explain this way better than me.

Alrighty everyone, it's New Years eve, and I know that it gets a little crazy out there, especially in my parents neighborhood where people shoot their guns in the air at the stroke of Midnight. Let's all be safe and responsible, and come home in one piece so we can enjoy 2016. Smoke Bud everyone! Peace in the Middle East, and Free Tibet. Or something like that. HAPPY NEW YEAR'S everyone.----------Cy

. . . .I'm sure that someone out there will be able to explain this way better than me.

Alrighty everyone, it's New Years eve, and I know that it gets a little crazy out there, especially in my parents neighborhood where people shoot their guns in the air at the stroke of Midnight. Let's all be safe and responsible, and come home in one piece so we can enjoy 2016. Smoke Bud everyone! Peace in the Middle East, and Free Tibet. Or something like that. HAPPY NEW YEAR'S everyone.----------Cy

You explained it pretty well, I think.

Be safe, Indeed, This is amateur night. As a former professional heavyweight drinker I advise moderation on this night.
Then Party like it is 1999 during the next day. :tommy:

Your explaination was spot on Cy. They shoot guns into the air in my home neighborhood too. :straightface: I'm three stories up, away from the crazies, and behind solid brick and a steel door to the balcony. Still, I stay away from the outdoors at the stroke of midnight. This vanilla suburb I'm visiting in Phoenix will likely be quieter. :laughtwo:

Happy New Year to you and the family Cy. :circle-of-love:

Happy New Year to you too keltic. :circle-of-love:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

You can use the Report Post feature found at the bottom left of every post and we'll move it for you right away.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom