Dark Devil, Purple Lemonade & Zkittles Autos

Hello growers!

Hoping your day is going nicely!

Quick update:

I've got problems in Purple paradise. My Purple Lemonade plant is really tying to go south, with yellowing leaves multiplying like sixth graders in math class. I knew she wanted more MC, but I came to that realization way late. So now she's in a free fall.

I last fed her yesterday with 4g MC and 1g of Sweet Candy. From what I was beginning to see I should have increased it then, but I didn't. Well one more day of under-feeding has taken it from bad to worse.

Luckily, she has alway been a thirsty plant, and so today I was able to add about 1.3 liters tap water with 4.5g MC before I saw a drip from the bottom of the pot. No runoff but the pot got heavy again. Prior to watering her, I also unfolded the top of the fabric pot and made a lot more room for soil. I topped the pot off with maybe another two inches of FFOF (in 3 gallon pot). I didn't weight it, but it was a substantial amount. I'm hoping that the additional soil will help her retain more moisture for a bit longer than she now does, which is hardly a day.

Now just sit back and observe. (And pay attention, doofus!) I can do this! :Rasta:

Later!

the yellowing lower fan leaves are not improving
After 2 feeds at 4g, I was tempted to take her to 4.5 today, but fear (no better word) kept me from doing so. What I did do though is bravely add 1g of Sweet Candy to her feed.
I'm curious why you went with a booster with no nitrogen when the plant was looking for nitrogen? I think the best way to look at MegaCrop is that it's the actual food, and the boosters are for those already beautiful plants the you think will produce more if you bump the P and the K. You don't often see a plant deficient in P and K on MegaCrop alone.

I'm curious why you went with a booster with no nitrogen when the plant was looking for nitrogen? I think the best way to look at MegaCrop is that it's the actual food, and the boosters are for those already beautiful plants the you think will produce more if you bump the P and the K. You don't often see a plant deficient in P and K on MegaCrop alone.
@InTheShed, the answer to your question is obvious (to me), I don't know what the hell I'm doing. As I said, I was slow to recognize the Nitrogen deficiency. At the same time, I was quick to notice that the Purp wanted more "stuff." I wasn't trying to remedy the problem I was having by adding the booster. I added the booster mostly because I wanted to and I was ignoring (or just not convinced or aware of) the extent of the Nitrogen shortage. Like I said, I should have increased the MC on the last feed, but I didn't. That was just a brain fart, of which I have many. But the booster was not intended to fix the Nitrogen issue.

Answering your question brings how I screwed up more into focus. Thanks for asking -- I guess. :Rasta:

Sorry! I guess I thought there was a specific reason rather than a lack of a specific reason :rolleyes: .
There was a specific reason for adding the booster Shed. I thought the plant was at the age where it would start helping (if it does help). I have no prior experience with the boosters but it seemed to have really helped my abused Zkit and the Purp seemed to want some too. So I boldly went to where no man in this house has ever gone before and added some to the Purple. My mistake, to make it very clear, was not picking up on the Nitrogen problem before doing my Capt. Kirk thing. Had I done what I should have done an increased the MC and added the booster, I probably would not be in this position. It's an uncomfortable position, but I hope to work it out. :Rasta:

Hello growers!

Just a quick update on my ailing Purple Lemonade.

She is trying to get back to the nice Mega Crop green. Though she's not quite there yet, I'm seeing some progress!

P1020865.JPG

Hello again, growers. I know I'm back to being super chatty, but I've got nothing else to do at the moment. :Rasta:

My runt, the Zkit is nearing the end at day 59. I looked at her today and saw a few amber trichomes sprinkled about. Poor thing has about 6 squat buds on her and it's all my fault. After I basically broke her in half early on, she pretty much stopped growing up. She did develop buds, however. I think she would have been a nice plant had I not decapitated her.

I dropped an auto Strawberry Cheesecake into water tonight for the tent space that will be opening up within a week or so. (Trying something I read on this site, I worked over the seed with some mild sandpaper before dropping it.)

I tried to get some pics of the amber trichomes, but apparently they're camera shy.

Snap_003.jpg

Snap_004.jpg

Later!

Hello, growers and Happy Hump day!

It's watering day for the group. Two days ago, I added a bunch more FFOF to my Purple Lemonade and topped it with 1.5 liters with a higher MC dose (4.5g). I did that to address a worsening Nitrogen shortage and to try to get the plant to retain moisture a little longer. It worked. Today, the pot is still quite heavy and the soil is still damp. So the thirsty girl gets no water today. She still doesn't have that nice green color, but I think she's coming back around. At least the problem doesn't appear to be worsening.

Dark Devil(Day 48)

She got 3L @MC4.25, an increase of .25g.

No major problems with this one!

P1020871.JPG

Chocolate Skunk(Day 35)

Over the past week, this one has stretched to the point where she is the tallest in the tent, despite being the youngest. And she has started shooting out pistils. Guess that's what happens when there's no MC drama at the outset of growth! :Rasta:

She got 2.5L @MC4.25 (an increase of .25g)

P1020874.JPG

P1020876.JPG

The Zkit got 2 liters at MC4.5 (an increase of .5g) along with 1g of Sweet Candy and 1g of Bud Explosion. As I reported yesterday, she's is starting to show a few amber trichomes and will likely be coming down within a week or 2. I'm glad I didn't get rid of her after my initial screw up. She had the opportunity to grow and took advantage of it.

One of more of these girls is really starting to throw out some odors! I'm not complaining. :Rasta:

Later!

Hey there GDB! Finally all caught up!

your plants are looking great. That chocolate skunk is gonna yield big for you now that you’re feeling more comfortable with the MC.
I’ve heard on pretty good authority that the Dark Devil does well with MC at 6.5g/gal. If I were you I’d still be pushing to go higher.

also, I think you’re at a point that if you were to drop say, 2 more auto beans and 2 photo beans. You could really keep your tent full. You can keep your photos in very small pots like solo cups until they’ve got more room. Then when they’re nice and big you can change your lights to 12:12 regardless of any autos you’ve got in there with them. Then you’ll actually experience growing a plant that’s got serious genetic potential.. autos are great and they’ve come a long way, but you can’t deny that the biggest potential for great herb is in photos.

anyhow, you’ve got a great journal going on and if you don’t mind I’ll be sitting in for the remainder!
:bongrip:

Hey there GDB! Finally all caught up!

your plants are looking great. That chocolate skunk is gonna yield big for you now that you’re feeling more comfortable with the MC.
I’ve heard on pretty good authority that the Dark Devil does well with MC at 6.5g/gal. If I were you I’d still be pushing to go higher.

also, I think you’re at a point that if you were to drop say, 2 more auto beans and 2 photo beans. You could really keep your tent full. You can keep your photos in very small pots like solo cups until they’ve got more room. Then when they’re nice and big you can change your lights to 12:12 regardless of any autos you’ve got in there with them. Then you’ll actually experience growing a plant that’s got serious genetic potential.. autos are great and they’ve come a long way, but you can’t deny that the biggest potential for great herb is in photos.

anyhow, you’ve got a great journal going on and if you don’t mind I’ll be sitting in for the remainder!
:bongrip:
Thanks @ChefDGreen. I am honored by your presence! I believe what you say about the potency of photos, but to me, autos -- by nature -- should be easier to grow. Unfortunately, out of 4 tries, I have yet to have an issue-free auto grow. That fact and the fact that I'm adjusting from DWC to soil and from liquid nutrients to MC, makes me reluctant to try a photo just yet. I'd like to get a few error free auto grows done first. (Also, I have stockpiled auto seeds and need to use them.) Plus, I am elderly, so time - or the lack thereof - is always on my mind. And as I read what I've written here, I think I sound pretty pathetic. But I can live with that! :Rasta:

Welcome aboard.

Thanks @ChefDGreen. I am honored by your presence! I believe what you say about the potency of photos, but to me, autos -- by nature -- should be easier to grow. Unfortunately, out of 4 tries, I have yet to have an issue-free auto grow. That fact and the fact that I'm adjusting from DWC to soil and from liquid nutrients to MC, makes me reluctant to try a photo just yet. I'd like to get a few error free auto grows done first. (Also, I have stockpiled auto seeds and need to use them.) Plus, I am elderly, so time - or the lack thereof - is always on my mind. And as I read what I've written here, I think I sound pretty pathetic. But I can live with that! :Rasta:

Welcome aboard.
oh come now, I’m no one special.

I gotta say, i disagree with your assessment of autos being easier to grow. Photos are far and away more beginner friendly, because you can iron out the problems in veg and coast through flower. The best autos I’ve ever seen were grown by veteran growers who have years and years of experience growing photos.

Just for a numbers example, let’s say in 4 months you can grow 8 autos each averaging an oz of flower. In that same amount of time, you could very easily grow 4 photoperiod plants that yield 4 oz each, effectively doubling your return for the same amount of time spent.

throw a little chinese panel up outside your tent, or in a closet for vegging and you can go perpetual. Where you’re popping a seed or taking a clone every 2 weeks, and chopping a plant at the same time. perpetual flowering is the best way to increase your yearly return. Same example before, 8 autos per 4mo, means in a year you’ll bring down 32oz. In a perpetual garden with photoperiods, after the initial 4 months to start, you’ll bring down 4 oz (or so) every 2-3 weeks. That’s a total of 72oz in your first year and 104oz your second year. It might seem faster to do autos, but really you’re bringing in the nugs slower.

that’s not even factoring in that the photoperiod bud will be (probably) higher quality.

oh come now, I’m no one special.

I gotta say, i disagree with your assessment of autos being easier to grow. Photos are far and away more beginner friendly, because you can iron out the problems in veg and coast through flower. The best autos I’ve ever seen were grown by veteran growers who have years and years of experience growing photos.

Just for a numbers example, let’s say in 4 months you can grow 8 autos each averaging an oz of flower. In that same amount of time, you could very easily grow 4 photoperiod plants that yield 4 oz each, effectively doubling your return for the same amount of time spent.

throw a little chinese panel up outside your tent, or in a closet for vegging and you can go perpetual. Where you’re popping a seed or taking a clone every 2 weeks, and chopping a plant at the same time. perpetual flowering is the best way to increase your yearly return. Same example before, 8 autos per 4mo, means in a year you’ll bring down 32oz. In a perpetual garden with photoperiods, after the initial 4 months to start, you’ll bring down 4 oz (or so) every 2-3 weeks. That’s a total of 72oz in your first year and 104oz your second year. It might seem faster to do autos, but really you’re bringing in the nugs slower.

that’s not even factoring in that the photoperiod bud will be (probably) higher quality.
@ChefDGreen, I cannot argue with your logic. More is better. And I had not given a thought to how growing photos might actually be easier than growing autos. But your explanation of that makes a lot of sense, too.

So once again, a 420 user has provided me with some valuable insight! :Rasta: (I love this site.)

You have convinced me. I am going to start 2 photos, a Tangerine Dream and a Peyote Critical (both Barney's Farm). I feel more comfortable starting them in 1 gallon fabric pots rather than Solo cups, and I have the room to do it. I'm a little concerned about the light intensity the photo seedlings will be exposed to. And with the height of the light, now maxed out, causing the seedlings to stretch a lot. I think I can mitigate this problem by moving the current plants and the light closer to the front of the tent and putting the photos in the rear under a less powerful light hung low.

Be forewarned, if things get hairy, you will be the first person I lean on for assistance! :Rasta:

Peace be with you. And thanks!

Oh I’ll be here. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Especially now that you’ve got the MC, it’s going to be down right boring getting to that nice sticky harvest.

I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on the genetics coming out of Barney’s so I’m sure you’ve made some excellent picks.

I would say this regarding your light height and strength; if your light is strong enough to flower your entire tent under it, you won’t get stretchy seedlings, not even on the ground. Ive popped plenty of beans under the light I use for flower, and I just left it at the top of the tent on full power. All my seedlings look fantastic and are not leggy in the slightest. If they start to look like they’re going leggy, just hook em up with the BCE plan!

Rest assured, things will get hairy. But we’ll all be here to help you keep the ship upright. My feeling is, if you don’t have hairy moments, you’re not filling your space enough!

Hello growers! In the U.S. today is National Chili Day. I've got my chili recipe ready for this evening and my air freshener standing by!

I watered the Purple Lemonade(Day 49) to runoff with 2.5 @ 4.75MC (an increase of .25) and 1g Sweet Candy.

I took some close-ups of my Dark Devil(Day 49) just because I'd yet to do it. I think she's likes the attention! :Rasta:

P1020880.JPG P1020882.JPG P1020883.JPG

Also, I was able to capture some of the amber trichomes on my Zkit(Day 61). However, capturing them in focus eluded me.

Snap_002.jpg

The Strawberry Cheesecake I dropped into the water the other day sprouted and tap root and has been placed in a solo cup with a FFOF and Coco mix. It's a little chilly in the house, so I've got the cup sitting on a heating pad. She will take the spot that will soon be vacated by the Zkit!

Finally, @ChefDGreen, convinced me to throw some photos into the mix, mostly by appealing to my sense of greed (more, more more)! :Rasta: I'd like to move to a 18/6 light cycle, especially if I'm going to have photos in the tent. I remember reading sometime ago that whatever light cycle you start an auto on you should finish it on. Can someone weigh in on whether this is absolutely true? Do I risk screwing with my current autos by moving from 20/4 to 18/6 during what is basically mid-grow?

Later!

Oh I’ll be here. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Especially now that you’ve got the MC, it’s going to be down right boring getting to that nice sticky harvest.

I’ve heard nothing but great reviews on the genetics coming out of Barney’s so I’m sure you’ve made some excellent picks.

I would say this regarding your light height and strength; if your light is strong enough to flower your entire tent under it, you won’t get stretchy seedlings, not even on the ground. Ive popped plenty of beans under the light I use for flower, and I just left it at the top of the tent on full power. All my seedlings look fantastic and are not leggy in the slightest. If they start to look like they’re going leggy, just hook em up with the BCE plan!

Rest assured, things will get hairy. But we’ll all be here to help you keep the ship upright. My feeling is, if you don’t have hairy moments, you’re not filling your space enough!
@ChefDGreen, I am so tickled that you referenced my BCEs. Too funny! :laughtwo:

Nah, they’ll be totally fine.

it’s important to note; when you’re checking trichomes, the only place that matters are the calyxes. Don’t worry about trichome color/maturity on leaves

So check it out GDB,

I took some pics of how I have my light in the veg tent. I’ve flowered under this light and gotten amazing results. Your light does very well for you too, so I’d consider it comparable.

I also took some pics of a seedling I’ve currently got just sitting on the floor. She’s even partially covered with fan leaves from the sour bubba. She’s a Xanadu. If anything, your babies may need a bit of shade at first.

Nah, they’ll be totally fine.

it’s important to note; when you’re checking trichomes, the only place that matters are the calyxes. Don’t worry about trichome color/maturity on leaves
@ChefDGreen, point taken. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom