Deficiency or burn, or what?

I was wondering if anyone recognizes what this might be?

5 or 6 days ago I started seeing some small dark rust colors and turned up tips on the uppermost large fans of 1 plant only. The other plants are not affected at all! pic 1
It looked/looks to me like a calcium deficiency so I started with supplemental calmag and cut the nutes back a bit. At first it got worse, it doesn't appear to be getting worse anymore. The rust color has turned more dark now and the leaves are looking pale. pic 2
In a journal post it was suggested it might be burn, it does have a nute burn look to it as well. Its funny as its only the 1 plant out of 9. When I have had calmag issues before it was more localized on the plant.

Thanks for looking.

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

Since added Ca didn’t help, I think @bluter got it right. It’s not nute burn. It could be that there’s too much Ca and it’s locking out the P&K. Once fixed the damaged leaves won’t repair themselves, but the new growth shouldn’t show symptoms.

I've seen this in veg, just added some cal-mag. But in flower I'm at a loss, good luck
Thanks Cannachris, its odd for me as it is just the 1.
it's pulling potassium and phos now that it is in flower.
They are being fed and don't appear to be deficiant in P or K.
Since added Ca didn’t help, I think @bluter got it right. It’s not nute burn. It could be that there’s too much Ca and it’s locking out the P&K. Once fixed the damaged leaves won’t repair themselves, but the new growth shouldn’t show symptoms.
To me it doesn't appear to be a lock out. Need to see what happens with a little more time.
-------------
Thanks everyone. This is the plant today.

IMG_3039.JPG

IMG_3040.JPG

Hey @stinker, nice colas!

The dead leaf tips look like K deficiency. The pattern of the brown areas (necrosis), and the fact that the leaves are at the top of the plant just under the cola, is perhaps consistent with manganese deficiency, which is very rare.

Did these leaves go pale/yellow prior to the brown spots showing up?

I think it would be a good idea to clip these leaves off – dead material invites mold/fungus.

And then... why only on one plant? Is there anything that sets this plant apart from the others?

1684316910750.png

happy growing! 🪴

Hey @stinker, nice colas!

The dead leaf tips look like K deficiency. The pattern of the brown areas (necrosis), and the fact that the leaves are at the top of the plant just under the cola, is perhaps consistent with manganese deficiency, which is very rare.

I think it would be a good idea to clip these leaves off – dead material invites mold/fungus.

And then... why only on one plant? Is there anything that sets this plant apart from the others?

1684316910750.png

happy growing! 🪴
Thanks. I miss the 808.
No. It started with the rust spots and looked like it needed calmag.
I took a few where it was crowded, otherwise I am leaving them as long as they are working. I would rather these fans take the brunt if it continues. Its started on some of the sugars already.
I have no idea...
happy growing!
Thanks bud, same to you. I appreciate the feedback. :peace:

Hmm

Maybe a case of pottoosmallitis... I just made that up... pot-too-small-itis.

Something I'm seeing lately, in my grow, and others posting on this forum. Plants being fed enough, but still showing signs of deficiency and/or premature senescence. Which makes me think... root bound... or other root zone issues, caused by the pot being too small. Some strains and phenos may not care, but some may not do well. Could also depend on the medium, or other factors.

You've got some nice big colas there... she's feeding heavily, but still not getting enough. And to confirm... am I looking at two different plants in this photo? If not, what the heck is going on?!

Hmm

Maybe a case of pottoosmallitis... I just made that up... pot-too-small-itis.

Something I'm seeing lately, in my grow, and others posting on this forum. Plants being fed enough, but still showing signs of deficiency and/or premature senescence. Which makes me think... root bound... or other root zone issues, caused by the pot being too small. Some strains and phenos may not care, but some may not do well. Could also depend on the medium, or other factors.

You've got some nice big colas there... she's feeding heavily, but still not getting enough. And to confirm... am I looking at two different plants in this photo? If not, what the heck is going on?!

I like the word. These are 12 liter or 3 gal bags. Plants were only vegged for 24 days. Roots should be good.

That is the 1 plant after a defoil to get some light down to the lower growth. The light green below has since greened up.

Bags... good. 3 gal? Do you have another of the same strain in same size bag, same medium & ferts?

Bags... good. 3 gal? Do you have another of the same strain in same size bag, same medium & ferts?
I do, 1 other but its a different pheno and is doing great. Its another tropicanna banana. Also a large plant. Its on the left in the pic with the long colas. 3 gallon bags.

IMG_3057.JPG

OK, perhaps then phenotypic nutrient absorption/use issues, and/or pottoosmallitis. Maybe a root zone pathogen. If it were my plant, I'd give it a shot of Mikrobs... root zone product I recently discovered that contains beneficial microbes including 3 strains of trichoderma. I used it on a couple of my plants and the results were very good.

Back
Top Bottom