Do Electrified Plants Grow Faster? Let's Find Out!

Actually, the electrolysis is breaking the H2O into BOTH hydrogen AND oxygen and, if the electrolysis is the cause of the increased growth, I would think it would be more due to the additional oxygen in the soil than hydrogen.

However, I think there's still a question of whether or not the growth is due, in whole or in part, to the additional oxygen/hydrogen, or is something else happening due to the ionic charge of the soil?

Well the increased oxygen would definitely be expected to increase plant growth, at least according to air-pot marketing :p I wonder what effect the charge has on bacteria and other microorganisms.

I wonder what would happen at a higher voltage. Any idea what the current amperage is?

Well the increased oxygen would definitely be expected to increase plant growth, at least according to air-pot marketing :p I wonder what effect the charge has on bacteria and other microorganisms.

I wonder what would happen at a higher voltage. Any idea what the current amperage is?

Very interesting discussions, and I am still digesting the scientific articles on ortho and para water as well as the magnetic effects... definitely could be something here. I also agree that the breaking up of the water to produce more oxygen and hydrogen, has to have some sort of effect.

I need a microscope so I can study what happens to the microlife under a charge, but I will certainly be looking for signs of malnutrition. As far as what we can observe so far, the day that I made that last update showing you the energetic electro girl, that night I saw both plants doing pretty much the same thing... leaves horizontal, and no real difference between the two.

This morning, maybe one leaf is up higher on our ion queen than on her control, but I really can't discern any real difference between them.

Regarding the current, the output of these solar cells in direct sunlight is about one ampere, at a half of a volt. We are getting half of that voltage under these lights, so I assume we are also getting half the amperage. My VOM has an internal impedance that makes it difficult to measure the current output of just one cell, and we could prove this hypothesis by hooking up 4 or 5 cells together to overcome that internal impedance of the meter, but I think this is going to be a pretty close estimate. I assume that we are dealing with approximately 250 milliamps at 1/4 volt.

Here is today's picture:
DSCF60792.JPG

Very interesting discussions, and I am still digesting the scientific articles on ortho and para water as well as the magnetic effects... definitely could be something here. I also agree that the breaking up of the water to produce more oxygen and hydrogen, has to have some sort of effect.

I need a microscope so I can study what happens to the microlife under a charge, but I will certainly be looking for signs of malnutrition. As far as what we can observe so far, the day that I made that last update showing you the energetic electro girl, that night I saw both plants doing pretty much the same thing... leaves horizontal, and no real difference between the two.

This morning, maybe one leaf is up higher on our ion queen than on her control, but I really can't discern any real difference between them.

Regarding the current, the output of these solar cells in direct sunlight is about one ampere, at a half of a volt. We are getting half of that voltage under these lights, so I assume we are also getting half the amperage. My VOM has an internal impedance that makes it difficult to measure the current output of just one cell, and we could prove this hypothesis by hooking up 4 or 5 cells together to overcome that internal impedance of the meter, but I think this is going to be a pretty close estimate. I assume that we are dealing with approximately 250 milliamps at 1/4 volt.

Here is today's picture:
DSCF60792.JPG

Has me thinking about something like a USB charger for a phone. They typically are at 500 mA or lower, and put out 5 VDC... I think if there was some kind of effect from the electrolysis an increase in voltage would make it more evident in the soil ( maybe some visible signs like bubbling) while the amperage would stay low enough to not create a safety hazard ( for you or the plant).

Sorry to hear of your troubles AngryBird... I have had a couple of casualties too. I have learned not to rush the new clones and definitely not to give them any AACT until they are ready.

So far it is hard to notice any difference between our electrified girl and her control neighbors. The only significant thing that I have to report is that our girl has grown a little and one leaf made contact with the negative electrode. That point of contact now looks burned. I will get a picture of it later when the lights come on in there.

Sorry to hear of your troubles AngryBird... I have had a couple of casualties too. I have learned not to rush the new clones and definitely not to give them any AACT until they are ready.

So far it is hard to notice any difference between our electrified girl and her control neighbors. The only significant thing that I have to report is that our girl has grown a little and one leaf made contact with the negative electrode. That point of contact now looks burned. I will get a picture of it later when the lights come on in there.

It is ok.. things you pay for when you do what you can with things you can't get :) Trying to find a soil mix from things I can get without trouble.

I ordered all that I needed to build my supersoil, on Amazon. Now I buy a bag of Roots Organic a couple of times a year just to make up for loss and a more inert base soil, while my 50 gallons of living soil either works or sits cooking in my garage.

Earlier when I talked about the burned leaf tip touching the electrode... let's just chalk that up to being very stoned and tired last night as I was checking up on things. With fresh eyes it was revealed that the leaf tip is simply bent and was in a shadow... it is not burned.

elec_leaf_tip.JPG

The interesting news however is that our electrofied plant seems to be lagging behind her control and now is smaller. Her water use does not seem to be as vigorous either. Electrification may not be all it's been thought to be... but then again, clones starting out are not a good test either, some are more vigorous than others for many other reasons. Time will tell as these plants continue to establish themselves in these cups.

The control:

control1.JPG

Electro-girl:
leaf_touching.JPG

More interesting results since, even assuming the SAME rate of growth, you'd think Miss Electric would be going through more H2O just due to any electrolysis that may be occurring. :hmmmm:

The control plant has clearly taken the lead

I really appreciate the pun there! :welldone:

They've been through a whole battery of tests and I'm shocked at these results! It's like they switched positions! They're almost polar opposites! It's electrifying just watching this! :)

Sorry, I was a little wired and overdid it! Now that I'm currently more grounded, I've decided to wave my normal fee on puns - they're all no charge! :rofl:

I really appreciate the pun there! :welldone:

They've been through a whole battery of tests and I'm shocked at these results! It's like they switched positions! They're almost polar opposites! It's electrifying just watching this! :)

Sorry, I was a little wired and overdid it! Now that I'm currently more grounded, I've decided to wave my normal fee on puns - they're all no charge! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: you made my day!!

since the surface quickly dries out, it would not conduct electricity nearly as well as all of the area below the water table line. The uninsulated aluminum electrodes are not all the way to the bottom, but I imagine that the entire wet part of the root ball is conducting when the electrodes are in that area. When the water table falls below the electrodes, I doubt whether much current flows at all. We would have to hook up 3 or 4 of these solar cells to find that out though, but it could be done.

if the electrolysis is the cause of the increased growth, I would think it would be more due to the additional oxygen in the soil than hydrogen.

But the roots use O₂ when the lights are off, lol (and the solar cell is not producing any electricity).

one leaf made contact with the negative electrode. That point of contact now looks burned.

Path of least resistance...

BtW, is that AC or DC?

Back
Top Bottom