Do Electrified Plants Grow Faster? Let's Find Out!

Today, I am prepared to show you the money shot, and declare that this experiment has been a success, and that we have proven that a small amount of electricity does indeed accelerate the growth of our plants!

Here is the money shot... try to guess which one is our electrofied superstar:

definitive_shot.JPG

If you guessed the tallest, thickest and perkiest plant in the place, you would be correct. That tall one in the back is Electrogirl.

She has met and exceeded my predictions and is now going crazy with growth, sides... bottom... and the trunk size. Wow, she is clearly the most developed plant in the tent at this point.

top87.JPG

mid2.JPG

As a statistician by trade, this is a profound and remarkable result. She has not just beat out her two control plants, but she has beat out every plant in the tent... even those a week ahead of her! Out of 23 plants, she is the best. This is clearly not a statistical anomaly, this is clear proof. Electricity matters.

I have been studying about this and in doing so, I asked my friends at the local university agricultural department what they thought about this result. The professor there agreed with earlier comments that the electricity has changed the cation holding ability of the soil in a profound way. The additional charge is acting just like a cationic drench does, and it is allowing the soil to hold nutrients suspended in the soil much more efficiently than normal. Also, since the charge cycles off at night, the releasing of the charge allows the plants energized by the daytime light to then easily grab up those nutrients that are suspended in the soil, nightly weakening the cationic holding ability of the system just enough that the energized plants have easy access. Our professor who is commenting on this experiment has hypothesised that without that nightly turning off of the charge, the effect would not be nearly as dramatic, and that we got lucky using a solar cell for our power source, or we may not have seen this effect. This of course will be an experiment for another day... a constant DC source compared to a solar cell.

So with this experiment concluded for veg, it is time to see what happens in flower. I am expecting this plant to immediately show advanced frosting and bud development compared to her neighbors. What I have also learned is that using this method, it appears that at least a couple of weeks or more can be shaved off of the veg cycle, making it possible to get excellent production out of 1 month veg plants. This experiment shows great promise, and it is now time to figure out how to use this new information and tool in our arsenals to our benefit. I will continue my experiments and will likely have one solar cell powered plant in each tent for a while as I adjust the variables to see what we can learn. I am excited about this and feel that by carefully using the scientific method, we have hit on something very cool here.

I am going to continue the experiment with electrogirl by uppotting her next week to a 3 gallon container, giving her a week to adjust to it, and then I am going to move her right into flower. I want to see just how well this 1 month plant will produce, energized the entire way on solar energy. Time, and good documentation will tell the story. Please let me know if you follow up with this and achieve similar results... I think you will.

Blessings from my garden.
Nam myoho renge kyo

Emmiesatva

So, here is Electrogirl today, in her 3 gallon smart pot for about 3 days and getting right into it. She has been walked out of the bloom tent with the bright lights each actual morning at the end of their day, so as to be able to enjoy the bright morning and afternoon sun on my back porch. With all of this extra attention she is happy to stay in veg yet still take advantage of the big lights and not bother the plants trying to flower in there. I am only going to give her a week to get used to this, breaking all of my previous rules... but I need to see how she does on this accelerated schedule. So far I am extremely impressed that with a simple topping she has perfectly sped up growth on the next two nodes down, all of which will easily reach the upper canopy. She is going to produce quite well it looks like, and Emmie is about to get a big lesson in efficiency, and as an old timer with a wink and a nod told me, in quality of the end product too. Hmmm. So many things about this hobby defy logic... get ready for a big reveal on this one folks.

Here she is, our shining star... sitting on a bucket so as to start competing for the canopy even now.
DSCF6155.JPG

After all the problems we had and our elector plant died ..We have added electricity back to our (at the moment) 3 ladies.
I love the way your electrogirl looks Em. :goodjob:
So now we need to name the strain :rofl:

After all the problems we had and our elector plant died ..We have added electricity back to our (at the moment) 3 ladies.
I love the way your electrogirl looks Em. :goodjob:
So now we need to name the strain :rofl:

You are right! Let's see... Chocolate - Cheese - Blow Fish - Electricity....
Smores?
Electro Cheese?
Charged CC?
Solar Cheese?
Frankenstein's Chocolate?
Zapped Cheese?
Chocolate Cheese Shock?
Electric Fish?

The endless possibilities have me all charged up! We might have to ask Santero if he has any ideas. :)

So far I am extremely impressed that with a simple topping she has perfectly sped up growth on the next two nodes down

Isn't that what usually happens when a plant is topped? Or even when someone just ties the top of the plant down so that it is lower than the tips of the branches that were formerly below it, and a little auxin redistribution takes place?

BtW, I had a set of electrodes glued to my scalp two or three times when I was a kid. I never knew what the purpose was, unless it was to determine whether or not I was batsh*t crazy. If so, the results were undoubtedly inconclusive. I think they were reading (micro-)voltage instead of supplying it, though, so I don't suppose my brain grew any as a result.

Is there anyway you can be convinced to run another electro test, this time being 100% dark 24/7?
A control plant wouldn't even be needed..
You could have 2 tests, one with more volts or hrs being shocked, one with the opposite.
Plants need light in order to grow.
Electricity is not going to take the place of photosynthesis, it just can't happen.
I really don't want to kill one of my valuable plants in this manner, but I invite you to do the experiment with your own plants and let us know what happens. I suggest that you find a DC power source, such as a wall wart of some sort, and try this. Solar cells of course won't work in the dark, but it is pretty easy to hook up electricity. I predict that after a week in the dark, your plant will be dead, dead, dead... electricity or not.

Isn't that what usually happens when a plant is topped? Or even when someone just ties the top of the plant down so that it is lower than the tips of the branches that were formerly below it, and a little auxin redistribution takes place?

BtW, I had a set of electrodes glued to my scalp two or three times when I was a kid. I never knew what the purpose was, unless it was to determine whether or not I was batsh*t crazy. If so, the results were undoubtedly inconclusive. I think they were reading (micro-)voltage instead of supplying it, though, so I don't suppose my brain grew any as a result.

Yes, of course topping causes this to happen, but not like what is happening with our Electrogirl. I explained what I am seeing poorly, but the acceleration of growth on the sides of this plant was different than what I am used to seeing. Almost immediately the top 6 nodes became dominant... not just the two at the top... and every one of them leaped up to the top of the canopy in a way that I normally don't see. Maybe this was just an anomaly on this plant, so I will be looking for this phenomena to happen the next time. It is my impression that something out of the ordinary happened this time, and that was what I was trying to express above.

I will get an update on our Frankenstein's Chocolate this evening when the lights come on... she is about 4 days from budset at this point and looking quite impressive for such a young plant.

Lol!
If you could only seem my face.. Eyes rolling, tears of laughter and a big sigh...
Sorry,not sorry?

Plants need light in order to grow.
Electricity is not going to take the place of photosynthesis, it just can't happen.

You just concluded that electro currents do indeed make the plant grow.. To consider that it could completely replace sunlight,...isn't that far out..
I really don't want to kill one of my valuable plants in this manner,

I know, seeds can be rather spendy. However clones are free and you have an infinite supply..

but I invite you to do the experiment with your own plants and let us know what happens. I suggest that you find a DC power source, such as a wall wart of some sort, and try this. Solar cells of course won't work in the dark, but it is pretty easy to hook up electricity. I predict that after a week in the dark, your plant will be dead, dead, dead... electricity or not.

Ugh.. Fine. I suppose once I gather some cash and find a dc unit, also have space, ill have to run the test myself. Thanks anyways sense ;)

Didn't get this edited in time.
Google!
You already have been thinking outside the box, don't stop now.
Keyword: Synthetic photoreceptors.

(flower, day 5) - Frankenstein's Chocolate

Our electrofied girl is holding her own in the tent, and sitting on her 5 gallon bucket she is trying hard to compete for the canopy. Six branches have come up to the top and the next two look like they are also going to produce under the 1200w of HPS and MH light. For such a young plant, she is greatly exceeding my expectations already.

As of this morning, we are still pre-budset, and she looks extremely healthy and vigorous. Here are the pictures:

fc12.JPG

fc21.JPG

Back
Top Bottom