DocBud's Hempy Grow

I've often thought about your comment, total dark to high noon at a flick of a switch, and the plants natural reaction to instant blaze. I'll be looking forward to your journal documenting a switch to a more natural light progression. I just wish I had the budget, and the room to emulate your set up. Like the old ads for GE stated "Progress is our most important product" You certainly do your part to advance ours. Hope ya got your spider mites under control now. Nasty critters.

:goodjob: brother grower....looks like hempy is your thing :surf:...they growing super fast and looking great! :passitleft:
I agree with possible fixes mentioned here already on flow...lower nukes on that one plant slightly and let that one dry out more than other ....that strain might not like wet roots like others are and letting it dry slightly and lower nukes might perk it up.

SS, OMM, Tunes, OldSchool:

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for all the comments.

I didn't find a trace of spider mites last night.......:cheer:

And, thanks to everyone who commented on FLO. I've already done a flush and fed with reduced nutes.....still she curls, etc. The guy who gave me the clones says FLO must grow better outdoors...he's only grown it in soil, outside.

Oh well, it's still green, and buds are still forming....I don't think I'll be growing it again.

As for the lights:
It's going to take me a while to fabricate/design the system. It can be done several ways that's I'm aware of, and several more that I haven't thought of yet.

Even though I'm new to this, I find I have a "fire in the belly," a stong motivation and passion to excel and make a difference. My skills as a grower will evolve, I need more practice and a many more grows under my belt, but already I have ideas of where to go with this.

The lighting thing may just be a boondoggle.....it sounds good, but I have no idea if it will work or not. The only scientific study I've come across regarding growing Cannibis says that light is the single biggest factor in yield....nutrients are the least. And yet, all the hype and marketing is in the area of nutes. It's time to balance things out a bit.

I'm also concerned about pesticides. My spider mite problem got me thinking about that quite a bit.....If I was selling a large crop, and had spider mites the temptation to use a toxic product would be very strong.....

I live and work in a university town that has one of the best agricultural schools in the nation....I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open to see if I can't connect with someone there and do a study on dispensary MJ, testing it for various poisons/pesticides.

If.....and I say IF....it turns out that "medicinal" marijuana is full of improperly used pesticides, it's going to set us all back in a big way. Such a study is a year or more away, but in the meantime I think it's a good idea to think long and hard about how pesticides are used in medicinal Cannabis cultivation.

Wow! What a rant.....I don't blame anyone who didn't read it all. For anyone who did....thank you.

:rollit:

<== read it all very intently. First, fascinated with the light theory. We do that to a bit in our flower chamber. First CFL comes on about 10-12 minutes before 10 AM. 400 watt comes on at 10AM. Then the second CFL comes on about 10 minutes after 10 AM. Both of the CFL's are side lights. We wanted to illuminate theside and lower branches as we are not doing an LST on these final three.
Second, I agree with the notion that our hobby will soon be a "growing" industry. :) So now is the time to start making your book deals....lol. A friend of ours is opening a hydro shop on that premise. I am leaning more toward custom grow room design. We also worry about the use of pesticides on our plants. Taking great pains to seal our room airtight and keep it clean and as sterile as possible.

<== read it all very intently. First, fascinated with the light theory. We do that to a bit in our flower chamber. First CFL comes on about 10-12 minutes before 10 AM. 400 watt comes on at 10AM. Then the second CFL comes on about 10 minutes after 10 AM. Both of the CFL's are side lights. We wanted to illuminate theside and lower branches as we are not doing an LST on these final three.
Second, I agree with the notion that our hobby will soon be a "growing" industry. :) So now is the time to start making your book deals....lol. A friend of ours is opening a hydro shop on that premise. I am leaning more toward custom grow room design. We also worry about the use of pesticides on our plants. Taking great pains to seal our room airtight and keep it clean and as sterile as possible.

Yeppers.....;)

I live in wine country. During prohibition, all these upstanding citizens would be felons......now their respectable members of society and their product is enjoyed by all kind of people.

That's gonna be MJ. Greenhouses are the future of outdoors.....but perpetual harvest is only possible indoors.....soooo lights!

I'll take some pics tonite and ask you guys about some yellowing and brown spotted leaves I'm getting.

I don't know if some of them fried from the spraying I did last week, or if I'm deficient in nutes....or what.

I've been meticulous with PH, and haven't gone over the recommended PPM's ever. Never been over 1200, usually about 7 or 8.

Congrats on the mites!

I just got my can of Doktor Doom delivered today and 8oz of "Natural Pyrethrin Concentrate" at 0.96%. You mix it at 1-3 tsp per gallon.

Yeppers.....;)

I live in wine country. During prohibition, all these upstanding citizens would be felons......now their respectable members of society and their product is enjoyed by all kind of people.

That's gonna be MJ. Greenhouses are the future of outdoors.....but perpetual harvest is only possible indoors.....soooo lights!

Reading that just makes me feel good. I read it several times ;).

I also read your "rant" and have been thinking about it ever since. I would love to see the results of those lab tests. It's definitely something to think about. When a lot of money is at stake, bad things can happen. Like others have said, that's another reason I enjoy growing my own.

Look forward to the pics.

take care doc ;)

SS, OMM, Tunes, OldSchool:

Thanks for stopping by, and thanks for all the comments.

I didn't find a trace of spider mites last night.......:cheer:

And, thanks to everyone who commented on FLO. I've already done a flush and fed with reduced nutes.....still she curls, etc. The guy who gave me the clones says FLO must grow better outdoors...he's only grown it in soil, outside.

Oh well, it's still green, and buds are still forming....I don't think I'll be growing it again.

As for the lights:
It's going to take me a while to fabricate/design the system. It can be done several ways that's I'm aware of, and several more that I haven't thought of yet.

Even though I'm new to this, I find I have a "fire in the belly," a stong motivation and passion to excel and make a difference. My skills as a grower will evolve, I need more practice and a many more grows under my belt, but already I have ideas of where to go with this.

The lighting thing may just be a boondoggle.....it sounds good, but I have no idea if it will work or not. The only scientific study I've come across regarding growing Cannibis says that light is the single biggest factor in yield....nutrients are the least. And yet, all the hype and marketing is in the area of nutes. It's time to balance things out a bit.

I'm also concerned about pesticides. My spider mite problem got me thinking about that quite a bit.....If I was selling a large crop, and had spider mites the temptation to use a toxic product would be very strong.....

I live and work in a university town that has one of the best agricultural schools in the nation....I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open to see if I can't connect with someone there and do a study on dispensary MJ, testing it for various poisons/pesticides.

If.....and I say IF....it turns out that "medicinal" marijuana is full of improperly used pesticides, it's going to set us all back in a big way. Such a study is a year or more away, but in the meantime I think it's a good idea to think long and hard about how pesticides are used in medicinal Cannabis cultivation.

Wow! What a rant.....I don't blame anyone who didn't read it all. For anyone who did....thank you.

:rollit:

Doc,
I have an idea that I will be using in my tent to suppost side lights and overhead lights too. If my parts come in I will have some pics up this weekend. Basically an inexpensive frame made from prefabricated tent/awning corner pieces and 1" conduit. It is height adjustable and made to any size you need. I will b able to slide my side lights back and forth to cover the 8ft. I got the fabricated parts from Canopy Kits, Carports, Poly Tarps and Frame Fittings

Congrats on the mites!

I just got my can of Doktor Doom delivered today and 8oz of "Natural Pyrethrin Concentrate" at 0.96%. You mix it at 1-3 tsp per gallon.

Reading that just makes me feel good. I read it several times ;).

I also read your "rant" and have been thinking about it ever since. I would love to see the results of those lab tests. It's definitely something to think about. When a lot of money is at stake, bad things can happen. Like others have said, that's another reason I enjoy growing my own.

Look forward to the pics.

take care doc ;)

A sincere thanks for your kindness in reading my thoughts...

I'll start work on the lights probably in February. As for the pesticide testing, I'm looking hard for the right student/teacher. It could start immediately, it might take a year, but I am really wanting to do that study.

If it turns out that dispensary pot is full of poison....that's not going to go very well for us. The only reason I'm growing is because it's legal. If it wasn't legal, I wouldn't do it....

Don't get me wrong, I think people should grow it, legal or not, but my day job is such that getting busted for illegal growing would hurt me severely.

So, if it turns out that the stuff the medical patients are getting is unsafe....we're screwed. The politicians will scream for regulation, and home growers will be squeezed hard, while agribusiness will be the only ones who can grow and sell to dispensaries.

In the wine industry, there a dozens of mom and pop vinyards around here, many of them world famous. But their products aren't laced with pesticides, either.

So, put the word out. If you or anyone you know donates to dispensaries....make sure it's grown in a caring compassionate way. I'd rather lose a crop than poison someone....I don't care how much money is involved.

Doc,
I have an idea that I will be using in my tent to suppost side lights and overhead lights too. If my parts come in I will have some pics up this weekend. Basically an inexpensive frame made from prefabricated tent/awning corner pieces and 1" conduit. It is height adjustable and made to any size you need. I will b able to slide my side lights back and forth to cover the 8ft. I got the fabricated parts from Canopy Kits, Carports, Poly Tarps and Frame Fittings

That sounds like an awesome set up. I look forward to seeing it! Are you going to have the lights move on a mover, or just be adjustable?

And Blacken, thanks for the kind words! :cool:

OK, here's my situation:

I've been on the money with PH. That's not an issue.
I've been careful regarding nutes, following the FF schedule and a little lighter than they recommend.

The last 3 weeks have been very low on the "N".
Here's my current nutes:
FF grow big 1tsp per gallon
FF Big Bloom 1 tsp per gall
CalMag, 2tsp gal
Hygrozyme 8mil gal
Canna Boost 4mil gal
Blackstrap molasses 2tsp gallon----just did this once, on the last watering.

FF recommends:
2 tsp Grow (the "veg" nute" 6-4-4
1tsp Bloom
"Beastie Bloom" I'm using Canna here.

I add the Calmag because I'm using RO.

Ph is always 5.8 to 6.2. I've been raising it a bit as the grow goes on.

One other thing. I gave all the plants a flush, per FF instructions and per talking to people on this forum, due to the twisty leaves on FLO.

So, nutes were low for a week, especially nitrogen, which was low for 3 weeks.

Here are the yellow leaves, about 1/3 of the way up from the bottom of Blue Dream. I removed some from the very bottom a couple days ago. These look like classic N deficiency to me.
IMG_01305.JPG

close up of one of the leaves above
IMG_01315.JPG

Now for the one that has me worried. This is White Widow, and these leaves are the highest sun leaves on the main cola, near the top.
IMG_01344.JPG

And a close up...
IMG_01324.JPG

Without seeing it, just going on my description, a master grower told me it was a calcium definciency and to ADD nutes.

Everything I read says people screw up their plants by adding too much, so I've basically been very careful not to do that. I've never come close to the 1200ppm mark so far.

On the FF Big Bloom, the measure is tablespoon not teaspoon.

I go through that stuff fast. At start of bloom, the recommendation is for 1/2 cup to a gallon on initial feeding. It's the only nute I order by the gallon.

That could be the problem, although Big Bloom does not provide a lot of N, maybe it provides other micros that are missing.

hey Doc,
i was looking thru your post and saw you were feeding it the FF GrowBig
shouldnt you be feeding it TigerBloom?

i honestly dont think you need to feed it addition nitrogen this late in flowering the Big bloom and Cal-Mag should give you enough nitrogen to finish off

looking at your pics with the specs on the fans and the deep purple stems it looks more like a P deficiency.

On the FF Big Bloom, the measure is tablespoon not teaspoon.

I go through that stuff fast. At start of bloom, the recommendation is for 1/2 cup to a gallon on initial feeding. It's the only nute I order by the gallon.

That could be the problem, although Big Bloom does not provide a lot of N, maybe it provides other micros that are missing.

OMG. THAT IS MY PROBLEM. I didn't make that distinction. I've been using Tsp.

hey Doc,
i was looking thru your post and saw you were feeding it the FF GrowBig
shouldnt you be feeding it TigerBloom?

i honestly dont think you need to feed it addition nitrogen this late in flowering the Big bloom and Cal-Mag should give you enough nitrogen to finish off

looking at your pics with the specs on the fans and the deep purple stems it looks more like a P deficiency.
I stopped the Tiger bloom per FF feeding schedule, supposed to start it again, but I was told that Canna boost would suffice.

yeah bro doc stated
2tsp=10mL the right feeding is 2tbs=30mL big diffrence !

plus he should be slamming about 15-20 mL of TigerBloom by now

Damn.....I'm so careful that I can't read the difference between tsp and tbsp........

I wish it was done in ml......

Next feeding is gonna be different.

Thanks to all. :peace:

well there we go!
its better you found the error this way, if it was vice versa that would have sucked.

and about the canna boot, its more a supplement then a main fertilizer, i would bring the heat with the TigerBloom maybe 3/4 str

Thanks bro. Do you think they will recover?

there's still lot's of good, green healthy stuff...but the buds don't seem to have swellled as much in this last week. I thought it might have been the spraying.

Back
Top Bottom