Drumshabo's 2022 Durban Poison Indoor Grow Journal

Drumshabo

420 Member
Hi, this is both my first grow and my first grow journal. I've started 12 Durban Poison babies in a 4 x 4 grow tent equipped with two FlexStar 120w dimmable LED lights. My seeds are photoperiod, so I'm hoping for lots of ladies--but not so many that they won't fit in my tent.

Due to a rookie mistake, I have 4 plants in FFOF, with a Cali Supersoil base layer and 8 plants in Vermont Organics, also with a Cali Supersoil base layer. What I realize now is that the Vermont Organics is mainly coco coir, so I have two different mediums with which to contend. I'm using 3 gallon fabric pots until I know how many ladies I have, when I plan to switch to 5 gallon fabric pots.

The seeds went in water on April 30 and all popped on either May 1 or May 2. I had the seedlings in a grow dome for a week and then moved them up to the 3 gallon pots.

I 've just topped seven of the plants, all at the fifth node. Most of the others should be ready to top in the next few days, except for two little ones that, I think, reached into the "hot" base layer much too early. (I think I planted them too deep when I put them in the 3 gallon pots.)

I haven't used any nutes yet, but have a Cali SuperSoil "Growth Shot" ( mainly worm castings and bone meal) that I plan to apply in about a week.

I've had a few fungus gnats, as I overwatered when the seedlings first went into the tent. Yellow sticky traps and vinegar/soap traps seem to have almost eliminated the problem, but I have Neem oil standing by for a drench if I start seeing more of the insects.

Hoping just to get a crop, given my noob status! Take care, Drumshabo

20220521_073050.jpg

The terms I’m going to be using are “loose” rules… Regular seeds you usually get 50/50 males and females. Also the males show more vigorous growth. Plants show sex around 6 to 8 weeks. Most of us? Use 3 gallon to flower in? They are plenty big enough for tent grows. Mixing soils sometimes mess’s with its ability to buffer the ph so be on the lookout for ph weirdness in the leaves. Looking good so far!

Thanks! I've been assuming about 50/50 male/female--and that I'll kill one or two through ineptitude-- as I'd like 4 to 6 plants to take to the finish line. I'm trying the base layers at the suggestion of an experienced friend and, in retrospect, should have waited until I have more grows under my belt.
The ph issue is a real one, particularly as we have very hard tap water. Take care.

Thanks! I've been assuming about 50/50 male/female--and that I'll kill one or two through ineptitude-- as I'd like 4 to 6 plants to take to the finish line. I'm trying the base layers at the suggestion of an experienced friend and, in retrospect, should have waited until I have more grows under my belt.
The ph issue is a real one, particularly as we have very hard tap water. Take care.
Hard water here too, so I add a few drops of citric acid per L before anything else, then adjust pH properly after adding nutes - seems to help Silicate/Potassium dissolve more readily

20220601_155154-jpg.2533387
My babies are showing some nice growth since my prior update. All of the plants have been topped once and most (7 of 10) have been topped twice. I've also tied down some branches using plant wire, some clips and a few bamboo 3 foot poles. With the topping and the low stress training, I've opened up the interior of most of the plants and have them within about 4 inches of the same height.

Based on preflowers, one plant was clearly a male and was sent to the great compost pile in the sky. Another was so stunted that I removed it as well, leaving 10 plants to move forward. Of those, 1 is definitely female, having put out white hairs. 5 appear to be female--correct pistil shape, but no white hairs yet. Another 1 is probably male, but I'm giving it a couple more days before making a final decision. The other 3 have not yet displayed enough preflower shape or size to determine their gender.

Unless something unpleasant happens, I plan to switch to the 12/12 light cycle to initiate flowering in the next few days. Wish me luck, please!

One other note: if my tent were taller, I'd leave my babies in vegetative mode for another week or two. However, the plants have been growing about an inch a day. As the strain info I've been able to find suggests that Durban Poison will grow 2 to 2 1/2 times in size during flowering stretch and my tent is 80 inches tall, I need to pull the trigger on flowering before the tallest plants grow more than a couple of inches.

Take care.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom