DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Bananas give off ethylene gas as they ripen, ethylene is a growth hormone female plants need to flower successfully. We experimented to see if extra ethylene would benefit cannabis flowers. I didn't see a real difference though.
so the verdict on this was it doesnt work or..? i always have fruit ripening around, dont mind chucking it in there anyway lol

so the verdict on this was it doesnt work or..? i always have fruit ripening around, dont mind chucking it in there anyway lol

i think the hypothesis was to put ripening bananas into the actual tent or growing area to supplement the ethalene gas to the plant.
not to put ripening fruit into the fridge while drying.

pennywise said results were inconclusive, might be worth a shot, i might try tossing some bananas in my flower tent now that i have just 1 plant and plenty of space

I think the most interesting piece of info by far on the bananas is that if you store peels with your seeds for two weeks before you plan to germinate you’ll have a high % of females if you’re using regular seed. That’s one I want to put to the test for sure.

I think the most interesting piece of info by far on the bananas is that if you store peels with your seeds for two weeks before you plan to germinate you’ll have a high % of females if you’re using regular seed. That’s one I want to put to the test for sure.
@Smeegol did this experiment at one time. I believe when he tried it in a larger scale he suffered a CAT astophy. Lol. I think his cat ruined all the seedlings.

I think @DV-travis tried the nanner peel & seed experiment. Can't recall how it turned out.

opened my fridge this morning, rh% has been steadily dropping, its at 31% now.
it has only been 4-5 days for the lot inside the fridge.

what rh% am i looking for inside the fridge that i should start doing sample buds to check for rh individually inside jars with a hygrometer?

I would go by feel for now, 65% or so I would be jarring them up.

yeah i know the 65%, i am just wondering if anyone else who has done this method noticed what the rh% of the fridge was right around the time they started checking their buds.
i saw a picture in an earlier post of someones hygrometer reading 16% inside the fridge, im wondering if that is what im shooting for?
im not talking about the actual buds rh, i am just wondering about the rh% inside the fridge. is there a certain number that i should say, aha i have to start checking individual buds now.

The 16% was mine and I was trying to manage rh by turning temp up (rh up) and temp down (rh down). You really don't want extremes like 16 or 75, keep it in the middle if you can manage.

:passitleft:

ok, ill just go forward as planned then and start checking rh after 1 week (this coming monday/tuesday)
ween is great seen them in concert quite a few times years ago. they used to do a halloWEEn concert up in burlington every year back in the day. finally just realized that was your avatar lol

ok, ill just go forward as planned then and start checking rh after 1 week (this coming monday/tuesday)
ween is great seen them in concert quite a few times years ago. they used to do a halloWEEn concert up in burlington every year back in the day. finally just realized that was your avatar lol

Haha! Nice! I've been to quite a few shows myself including at least 1 Burlington Halloween show!

You know Sound of Urchin? Moistboyz?

Like penny said, go by touch, slightly crispy, firm but a lil bounce when you squeeze.

:passitleft:

yeah these guys explained lol bananas in the flower tent.
i guess not everyone following this picked it up from the start.

I ran a few cycles with bananas in the late flowering tent. I started doing so because visually I could see it having an effect. I never quantified it with a comparative grow, but it seemed to me that the plants ripened a bit faster and thicker with the bananas ripening with them. It also kept nutritious snacks on hand to end my gardening chores. :cheesygrinsmiley:

You can use any ripening fruit in place if bananas. :battingeyelashes:

I’ve tried this a couple times with seeds I considered candidates for males, and had females sprout both times.

I also covered a couple seeds with mold by not being diligent enough about airing them out every day. :straightface:

Keep us posted if you do try it.

Yes, please do. :battingeyelashes:

opened my fridge this morning, rh% has been steadily dropping, its at 31% now.
it has only been 4-5 days for the lot inside the fridge.

what rh% am i looking for inside the fridge that i should start doing sample buds to check for rh individually inside jars with a hygrometer?

I stopped checking quite a while back. If my fridge is cold and dry enough for my stored food it’s cold and dry enough for a low and slo run. There’ll always be that scary spike the first couple days, but then, as you’re seeing, things settle down and you’ll fall back to ~ 45% Rh in the fridge.

It’s more useful to track the time than the Rh, in my opinion. Rh will be at ~ 45% for a while as the buds continue to release moisture. I check at 2 weeks, and decide then how much longer I think they’ve got. I’ve never taken longer than 3 weeks, but I’ve also gotten into the habit of clipping my buds to a more uniform size.

I’m interested in seeing how long it takes to get the larger colas down to around 65% in the jar. You did a great job of keeping from overloading the bags. I’d assume that’ll work in your favor. :high-five:

I’ve tried this a couple times with seeds I considered candidates for males, and had females sprout both times.

I also covered a couple seeds with mold by not being diligent enough about airing them out every day. :straightface:
When I try it, and I plan to on my next cycle, I’m going to pop 8 regular seeds and I’ll store them for two week with banana peels before I do. We’ll see what kind of conclusions we can draw. My first grow with these genetics was 3/7 females. If I get something like 7 or 8 females we can call it conclusive.

Back
Top Bottom