Dville Farmer - Northern Lights

Re: Dville farmer: Northern lights

Subbed: You ask very good Questions. I'll be learning from the answers to questions that never crossed my mind to ask. Good stuff here!

subd,

you could always use a dual spectrum bulb in the hps to give you more of the spectrum needed for growth, hps on its own works fine just as a mh does for veg, but using a dual spec bulb might add more the plant needs for both stages of growth, ive used a dual spec bulb since day 1 of growing and seems to work very well for both veg and flower with no signs of stretch during veg.

i always use cfls for seedlings and clones as they keep node spacing very close and plants dont stretch at all as long as the cfls are close enough, cant comment on t5's as ive never used them, ive only used the 23w and 30w cfls for growing, i flowered under them when i first started growing and worked out well

I assume a ballast is something you bite the bullet and spend some money on. The quantom and the phantom have my eye right now. Now is it one ballast per light? Because I imagine in the future i might need two lights for the adequate foot print. Also couldn't you just buy the ballast and diy a light and hook them up? I considered making a light that could house two 400- 600 watt bulbs. Rig it up inside a 4x2 fluorescent reflector and wire the ballast to the lights. Is that possible? If so if you had 2 400 watt lights would you need a 1000w ballast to run it?

as long as you buy a digital ballast then you can run both types of bulb in it, so a metal halide bulb will work and so with a high pressure sodium as long as its a digital ballast, the older ballast would only fire one type of bulb but all digital ballasts should fire both,

or go with a dual spectrum bulb and use it for both stages of growth, the 400watt ballast i got was off the auction site and cost me £65 plus i got a free bulb with it and it came with a sunmaster 400watt dual spectrum hps, so ive used that for both stages of growth and its given me great results so far, i need to replace the bulb soon but my results just get better and better so the bulb seems to still be ok,

ive not tried a mh bulb for veg or a hps for flower on their own so cant comment on how they compare, but im more than happy with the results im getting with the dual spec bulb so never bought a mh or hps to even try it.

i think i could of done with a bigger light but thats only because im growing more plants, a 600 watt digital ballast would of been nice but at the time the 400watt was a good price and new so went with that, im sure i could hit bigger yields with the 600watt but then temps would be higher as well.

other growers prefer the dual spec bulb as it gives more of the full spectrum for both stages of growth instead of focussing on the main spectrum for each stage,

also you need 1 ballast per bulb, so if you wanted a 400 watt bulb you need a 400watt ballast or a 600 watt that can be adjusted down to 400 watt, so a 1000watt ballast would fire a 1000watt bulb, ive not seen any setups that have 2 bulbs to one ballast so really not to sure if its possible,

also a decent 400watt ballast will draw 450watts of power, so the cheaper ballasts may just run at 400watt or even slightly lower, this can affect the heat of the bulb and give out a poor spectrum compared with a decent ballast.

the sponsors sell some great products, but you need to factor in the heat as well and what type of hood you want, you could have a sealed hood and have a fan cooling it or an open bat wing type hood, my hood is the open batwing type hood

Re: Dville Farmer: Northern Lights

Subbed, Deville my advise to you is to read as much info as you can, Ask questions. :420: has some of the best members and will answer any questions you have. Just my two cents I use T8's to veg my seedlings untill there old enough to use the MH, Just remember to make sure you have enough lumens , the PH is right and you have ventilation (IE) intake and exhaust . But at a bare minimum a fan or two moving air around your grow space. I hope some of this helps. Have any questions just PM me ... Good luck on your grow :thumb:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing with my grow. I ordered & the T5's are expected any day now. I'll probably use the CFL's I'm using now for side lighting.

That's my thinking I have 4 300 watt cfls and 6 100 watt cfls I have laying around. Might as well attach them to buckets.

Lets talk about this for alittle bit. I have been debating about lst, topping, fimming and super cropping. Wouldn't most of this be replaced with just add lighting to reach the lower branches? I don't know if this would make more cola sits as some of the other techniques. But wouldn't that make the but on the lower braches grow bigger and more dense buds?

IMG_20131021_173743.jpg

Yesterday (10-20) I saw a few seeds were starting to emerge out of the soil. Went to work and came home to find this. Two of them were stretching to get to the light. So I turned the pots and will keep doing this until the weekend, trying to distribute the light evenly. If you look in the far left corner you will see one has barely broken grown and about a day behind the rest. But they all seem to be doing well so far.

I have tried lst twice now on this bag seed. Now given this thing seems to be a weak little thing, it seems to over stress the plant. I am sure its user error. I have read every fricken write up on the internet I can find. And it seems like a fine thing to do when you have a few plants. But it seems if you have more then 6-7 plants it may not be a feasible option. Very time consuming if you have maintain a life outside of it. That's why I was leaning towards topping or super cropping. But as I am new to all this I just have to spend more time honing my skills.

But doesn't it make since to add more lights towards the bottom to try to replicate the same thing? Because as you know with low stress training you are just trying to expose more plant to light and make better bud sites. Wouldn't you be achieving the same thing?

I'm not sure but I believe LST is more about keeping the plant from growing too tall for your height restrictions. If I'm correct, lighting on the sides would be just as beneficial on a plant that's receiving LST. I plan on doing both & a few other things in my tent this run. I work full-time & have somewhat of a life but I find growing very therapeutic & will have no problem burning the midnight oil on my plants. But that's just a matter of preference. You have to do you...:blushsmile:

That's the hardest part for me. I too work a full time job then come home and have to all my farm chores. On top of being a husband and a father lol. All getting up at 3-4 in the morning. By the end of the day I am beat. Honestly that's why I am leaning towards topping or super cropping. I don't really have height restrictions. I am growing in an 8 foot room. So as long as I flower around 1.5-2' tall, then I can easily have clearance for my light and still have a 4.5-6' plant

Back
Top Bottom