Eagles "Lil Mama Wants To Live" HGL LED grow

Update 12/22

Day 11 under HGL's veg

I've been really working her main stem over the past few days. I released her from capture and she loved it so i changed methods for a few days here. Now i've been keeping her stem nice and moist and twisting her by hand and with use of lights. She's really loving the freedom and undergrowth is exploding. Her stem is getting stronger with the twisting. I think i'll have a full 360 turn in the next few days.

Lil Mama's face and her tail feathers
100_12332.jpg

100_12342.jpg

100_12373.jpg

100_12383.jpg

100_12393.jpg

100_12401.jpg

100_12413.jpg

Also show first pics of another baby and supercrop.

100_12363.jpg

100_12354.jpg

Me an Mama thankyee fer stoppin by fer a spell...

Hey, they are really starting to thicken up. What exactly do you mean twisting it by hand. Are you actually twisting the stem like you would do to your little brothers arm? What is the reason for doing this? BTW bravo for dating your updates. Its so hard to tell what day some people are on when looking at their updates!

Just caught up, great story, I hope the little lady shows you as much love as you are showing her. Great job. + rep

Yes by twisting i mean i am physically grabbing the stem and twisting it. This comes from 20 yrs ago east tennessee stealth outdoors techniques when i wanted to guide the plant along the ground or something.

There are several reasons I do this.

1) Her stem was rail thin and the twisting will make her strengthen and fatten up. It also aids at the internode points as well. Notice the buldge at those points and see if you can tell what i mean.

2) I had her tied down in LST mode so all of the growth was top side only. I released her and carefully twist the stem around clockwise turing the growth away from the lights and use the side light as a guide to control growth. I want growth on all side therefore i am twisting and showing the underside to the sidelite.

3) I begin the twist about half way down and work up towards the main cola top. By twisting the top i can turn heavy growth around and get light to undersides which then fills in the bottom side of the stem as well.

4) The 360 turn gets us back where we started with a stronger stem and tons more undergrowth and bud sites. The top cola is now facing up again and depending on growth patterns you can repeat or not.

Hey, they are really starting to thicken up. What exactly do you mean twisting it by hand. Are you actually twisting the stem like you would do to your little brothers arm? What is the reason for doing this? BTW bravo for dating your updates. Its so hard to tell what day some people are on when looking at their updates!

Just caught up, great story, I hope the little lady shows you as much love as you are showing her. Great job. + rep

I'm just stoked she's doing so well. At first i thought just keep her alive, but now she's showing her appreciation of life and growing into a beauty. The yield may not be huge in this grow, but the satisfaction will probably be as good as any i've ever had.

Thats really sweet. I can see what you mean it does look thicker near the twisted area. To twist them you have to soak the stem @ the area you plan on twisting?

Exactly...i spray her down real good making sure i wet the stem and keep her nice and moist. Then over the course of several days I begin turning beginning around the center from top down. I turn a little bit more each time i spray...3-4 times per day.

It's slow at first, but after a day or two she really takes to it and will twist rather easily without any damage. She now looks like a green twizzler!!

The pics i took today were close-ups, but i'll get one backed off next time and see if we can what she's done. :roorrip:

Yea I am really interested to see how it looks after she has been twisted like this. I am trying to imagine how it would look and its sort of hard lol. Does the twist usually result in a bend and twist? I guess what I am asking is how does the twist inhibit vertical growth?

Well i've got a 6' cab so i'm not really trying to limit vertical growth. She was already LST'd and guided around the rim of the pot. She was 1/2 way round when i released her.

Keep in mind that my goal was to strengthen the stem which i felt was still too thin, and take the growth from topside only and open the bottom bare side to the sidelight. This was specifically to develop underside growth.

I'm doing this as much because i don't think she can handle verticle growth and weight later on in the grow as i am to get that underneath side to fill out. I'm testing it also to see if she stretches any more. I'm really not sure if she will since i fimmed the top.

Yea I am really interested to see how it looks after she has been twisted like this. I am trying to imagine how it would look and its sort of hard lol. Does the twist usually result in a bend and twist? I guess what I am asking is how does the twist inhibit vertical growth?

Let's see if this helps. I started with a top pic and sort of worked around the plant. It shows the inside now turned 90 degress clockwise which was all top growth, and the shows it's way around to the sidelite side which shows the twist and how what was the bare bottom of an LST now turned and in direct lite. The undergrowth is really starting to fill in down there...

100_12543.jpg

100_12533.jpg

100_12523.jpg

100_12511.jpg

100_12501.jpg

100_12414.jpg

Eagle1
That was fascinating. Thank you for sharing that. I would loved to have seen one of the trained along the ground plants. Now that is stealthy. :ganjamon:

Back in the day i had 7-8' plants that the highest point the main stem ever got off the ground was 12". This is my 1st indoor and in limited space so i really wasn't sure what to do. I wasn't happy with the undergrowth of the LST so i made the call to try an ol' east tennessee hillbilly tactic. I'm so glad i did.

You'll see in the next pic update the difference. The twist is almost complete and i've taken her out of LST and am inducing the stretch to get her back upright and now expose the 360 growth. I doubled my growth in less than 4 days by doing this and strengthened her stem a great deal...especially from mid-point to the top cola. I'll still have to watch her carefully for weight up top i think though....we'll see in the nest 2 weeks.

What is the best thing to add to fatten up you main stem?

Its today man where is that update, dont leave me hanging:cheer:

Sorry for the late update everyone. I got back late last night and pulled a few thru and didn't get all the Christmas photos processed until today.

Update Day 14 Veg 12/25/09

the twist is complete and i'll let you be the judge on the results...

100_12883.jpg

100_12893.jpg

100_12873.jpg

100_12862.jpg

100_12824.jpg

100_12833.jpg

100_12811.jpg

100_12804.jpg

100_12792.jpg

Update from 12/22 for comparison
100_12543.jpg

And lil bit who was supercropped decided she wanted to stand back up...

100_12841.jpg

Well give me some feedback on my twist method and what i accomplished in 4 days with Lil Mama....good decision?

Hope everyone had a great Holiday!!!:grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom