Emilya's Outdoor GeoFlora Organic Auto Journal, 2020, Unknown Master's Mix

Veg, Day 3
Last evening, following no direction to do so, throwing all caution to the wind, I sprinkled 1 tsp of @GeoFlora Nutrients Veg on the surface of the solo cups and watered it in. The cups didn't even need watering yet, although it was clear that these plants were already using a discernible amount of water after a day in the partial sunshine.

This morning, here is what I was greeted with. Very happy, very vigorous, and much larger plants. The plants are happy and really spreading out to start growing at full speed. Now, after all this meddling and overwatering, we will wait for them to actually dry out before watering again.

DSCF8090.JPG
DSCF8089.JPG

Question..
Are you having any concerns-2nd thoughts about not sprouting more seeds, like adding 2 more seedlings to this grow staggered by a week or so? and do you see any issues down the line of perhaps a shortened flow period if fall temps and sunlight are sketchy and uncooperative ? and are you just timing it out by expected Veg time plus 60 day auto flower calendar thingy..

Question..
Are you having any concerns-2nd thoughts about not sprouting more seeds, like adding 2 more seedlings to this grow staggered by a week or so? and do you see any issues down the line of perhaps a shortened flow period if fall temps and sunlight are sketchy and uncooperative ? and are you just timing it out by expected Veg time plus 60 day auto flower calendar thingy..
No, for now 2 plants are enough while we work on getting everything else in place. I also anticipate an early winter with the good possibility of affecting these plants, so I am not willing to risk this late start on any more than these 4 seeds... I'm sure that I would have been able to dig up a few more auto seeds in my collection, but this was easy and no stress, and seeds that I never had time or space to grow out before.

As far as expected times, I am clueless on these plants... they are part of a random collection, but being autos I expect them to go as fast as they possibly can. I am going to base harvest and everything else on my own ability to analyze what is going on, so it is all totally up in the air right at the moment.

Soon I will be able to start my real operation up and with one patient already that I can be a caregiver, I can legally cultivate 12 blooming and 12 immature plants, so there will be plenty of room for many varieties and experiments in the near future. Winter time is going to be very exciting in my indoor grow room, and next spring will be amazing as I set out plants from my grow rooms into the outdoor garden. With all of this in mind and the production rates I am going to be able to see in the very near future, I have zero stress at the moment.

No, for now 2 plants are enough while we work on getting everything else in place. I also anticipate an early winter with the good possibility of affecting these plants, so I am not willing to risk this late start on any more than these 4 seeds... I'm sure that I would have been able to dig up a few more auto seeds in my collection, but this was easy and no stress, and seeds that I never had time or space to grow out before.

As far as expected times, I am clueless on these plants... they are part of a random collection, but being autos I expect them to go as fast as they possibly can. I am going to base harvest and everything else on my own ability to analyze what is going on, so it is all totally up in the air right at the moment.

Soon I will be able to start my real operation up and with one patient already that I can be a caregiver, I can legally cultivate 12 blooming and 12 immature plants, so there will be plenty of room for many varieties and experiments in the near future. Winter time is going to be very exciting in my indoor grow room, and next spring will be amazing as I set out plants from my grow rooms into the outdoor garden. With all of this in mind and the production rates I am going to be able to see in the very near future, I have zero stress at the moment.
Super!!! That's cool about you getting registered as a care giver and being squared away legally.. so I just had those questions on my mind doing a little quick math in my head thinking you may run into shortened flow period if the fall weather is uncooperative.. and now that you answered them I'm all good and will be enjoying the ride with fingers crossed ..Thanks.

"I never had time or space to grow out before."
It's aamzing and sunllight is free.. Whoo Hoo!.. yur gonna love it.. I like it because its natural and if i can feel the warm rays and wind blowing across my face I can imagine how the plants respond soaking it all in.. I'm thinking the sun, rain and night time temps also enhance flavor profile to an extent. Just a quick note, Plants dont always need to be hit by brutal intense midday sun, and can moderate the amount by giving them bounced light into the sides of the plant.. I'm personally wondering what the effect is of daybreak and slow transition into sunlight does to them internally verses setting them immediately into 8:00 AM sunlight.. or if that has any effect at all on the veg phase? I have friends who set up timers on they're salt water reef tanks to mimic this slow sunrise transition along with cloud interruption saying it was beneficial to their corals growth.

Doing a half outdoor grow since seedlings (May24 day1 veg) Ive been trying out various light schedules and last 2 weeks have been doing the daybreak 6:00 AM till 4:00PM routine with them. Since my initial plan to plant a grove-stand of outdoor sativa got messed up by covid 19 delays I still wanted to see what the effects of sunlight are for this zone and using this opportunity to locate the sweet spots in the yard.. Ideally, plan for next March I want to germinate a 10 pack of Acapulco Gold Reg or equivalent Columbian Gold.. male to female ratio doesn't bug me because the plan is to grow for seed.. I want to use the downstairs grow booth for hydro clones and a couple boutique species while growing some trees out in the back lol..

Veg, Day 5

DSCF8097.JPG

Welcome to a beautiful Missouri morning! The girls are a little mad at me because I seem to have stalled them out a bit with all the water... but they are fine. They are still growing by the day, its just taking a long time to get these roots strong enough to drain these cups the first time, or maybe I am just impatient after not having a garden for the last few months...

All sorts of things are happening out in the yard that I never see inside... mainly bugs. Little spiders are insisting on weaving their webs around these young ladies, and I really don't like it much. Ants and flies all crawling around and landing on my plants regularly... this certainly is not an indoor grow.

Both plants are already showing personalities and doing things differently than their yard mate. One of the plants decided to take offence to all the water and probably the teaspoon of Geoflora, and she is now exhibiting tip burn. She is also noticeably shorter than her sister and not quite as developed. Already we are seeing a bit of a temper tantrum from this one.
DSCF8101.JPG

The other seems healthy enough, but what is up with this weird twisting? Surely this is genetic and is a marker for those in the know as to which variety this seed came from, but still, it is weird. I will be looking for this twist as we further develop.

DSCF8100.JPG

So far they didn't need any more water. I am betting that after today's forecasted bright sunny 88 degree day, they will need water soon. Drying out real good is going to fix a lot of problems here.

breeders look for these sorts of traits that they can track as they try to emphasize another positive trait of that strain. When you see these markers out here in the field it is usually a good indication that you are growing exactly the strain that you bought.
Awesome, and good to know because this one didn't look at all like it's other siblings who were compact, bushy, and robust.. This one turned out to be thin, lanky, airy, looking more like a bamboo or Laotian species. I was thinking it genetically fell back to an earlier cross used in the hybridization process.. It came in the same pouch and sprung up within hours of the other 2 and have done nothing different in feeding or light.. It's just weird man.. It was a super fast grower until I head chopped it along with the other 2 but taking it's sweet time before deciding to grow for height again.. It's still the tallest plant at 41" finishing up week 7 veg.
Makes me wonder if your plant will exhibit similar traits..

Hey Anthony just a heads up. I was going to have a look at your journal but seems the link in your signature isn't working.
Hey Anthony just a heads up. I was going to have a look at your journal but seems the link in your signature isn't working.
not linked up to signature , this should get you there.. I just updated yesterday..
Anthony Suszko: Tony's First Grow

Side note: cotyledon or the round leaves on the tip burned plant.. something to watch out for. Shouldnt be that yellowish yet?
yes, they are usually the first to show signs of stress, and these are no exception. If it wasn't for the fact that I KNOW they have been overwatered, I would be worried.

yes, they are usually the first to show signs of stress, and these are no exception. If it wasn't for the fact that I KNOW they have been overwatered, I would be worried.
was worried about a larger tip burn showing up tomorrow.. not the watering .. only because i did a number on my plants in week 4 being heavy handed with nutes.. had no idea the yellowish color was coming from over watering.

was worried about a larger tip burn showing up tomorrow.. not the watering .. only because i did a number on my plants in week 4 being heavy handed with nutes.. had no idea the yellowish color was coming from over watering.
oftentimes, especially early on, we don't have enough clues to see how that strain reacts to nutes... so you have to be very general in your assumptions.
All I can assume at this point is that the roots are having problems in that plant, and from whatever cause it is showing up in the leaves as a deficiency. Since I didn't give nutes per say, I gave microbes and the raw minerals that they chew so as to produce the nutrients for the plants, I know I have not over fertilized. I may have whacked out the pH for a bit with that top dressing, but they will get over that too as those components continue to break down. Yellowing can have many causes, oftentimes many at the same time. The trick is to know when it must cause a reaction from us or if it is something that can be explained.

oftentimes, especially early on, we don't have enough clues to see how that strain reacts to nutes... so you have to be very general in your assumptions.
All I can assume at this point is that the roots are having problems in that plant, and from whatever cause it is showing up in the leaves as a deficiency. Since I didn't give nutes per say, I gave microbes and the raw minerals that they chew so as to produce the nutrients for the plants, I know I have not over fertilized. I may have whacked out the pH for a bit with that top dressing, but they will get over that too as those components continue to break down. Yellowing can have many causes, oftentimes many at the same time. The trick is to know when it must cause a reaction from us or if it is something that can be explained.
Newbie observation about cotyledon coloration.. Thanks for taking out the time to explain the other contributing factors.

The trick is to know when it must cause a reaction from us or if it is something that can be explained.
That is said perfectly Emilya. I’m still learning that trick 5 months in. It is super helpful to watch a journal and also be able to understand the dialogue that goes along with it...hopefully that makes sense. Your top dressing inspired me to go ahead and give my seedlings their first dose of MC today. I only gave them half the recommended - but I bumped the Cindys up to 5.5g soo...:)
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain your thoughts, it’s much appreciated.

That is said perfectly Emilya. I’m still learning that trick 5 months in. It is super helpful to watch a journal and also be able to understand the dialogue that goes along with it...hopefully that makes sense. Your top dressing inspired me to go ahead and give my seedlings their first dose of MC today. I only gave them half the recommended - but I bumped the Cindys up to 5.5g soo...:)
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain your thoughts, it’s much appreciated.
You are very welcome @BooWho2. When I journal, I am trying to figure some things out for myself, and I try very hard in my writing style to include my readers in my thoughts as we all learn together. I also learn from myself years later as I read my own words, reminding me of thoughts that I had earlier. Short of treating this like a laboratory operation by logging every move I make down to the smallest detail, I find this to be a very effective way to learn about this plant.

I was lounging out in the yard, getting some sun to fill in my tan, while I watched my little plants. I still feel water weight in the cups so I was determined not to water, but the more I watched, the more I noticed a little lack of vigor. I gave them just a couple of drabs of water... not much at all... just enough to wet the soil around the trunks. I didn't want to give them enough water to add to the water already sitting in the bottom, but I wanted to see if I could wake them up.

As I continued to rotate on my blanket I kept an eye on these plants, and over the next 45 minutes I watched all the leaves point up toward the sun; the vigor that I was looking for had returned. They are looking better than they did at 7:30 am, so I think we are well on the mend. I suspect that overnight will give us a growth spurt and that by morning, or late afternoon tomorrow, they will have finally drained the water.

What I think this has shown me is that while the tap and feeder roots are working as hard as they can to deal with the water at the bottom, the top half of the container has pretty much dried out in the hot sun. The problem is that the majority of the roots that have formed this early on are still very near the trunk root, and are trying to extend out laterally, but the bulk of them are still mostly in the top half of the container. It is these fine roots that are trying to extend off of the main trunk root that are suffering in the sun dried top half of the container, and they are waiting for the next rain to be able to get on with things. The plant is still getting enough water from the bottom to stand up and feed somewhat, but the vigor that I was looking for this early comes from ALL of the roots being active at the same time, and right now the roots are simply not developed enough to handle the extreme conditions they find themselves in out here, without showing us a few complaints.

They still have not gotten any of my well water (it was confirmed this is an old 40' groundwater well) since I do need to test the water first. There is an aluminum forging factory very close to this neighborhood and who knows what they may have dumped into the groundwater, so its best to check before I unknowingly put something bad in my medicine.

I have been timid about putting my new seedlings out in the sun (I’m worried I wI’ll forget about them) since it has been so hot and humid. My very mature plants were struggling and @amygardner suggesting using ices cubes to sit on top of the soil and melt slowly while helping to keep the roots cooled. Mind Blown... It helped my plants so much. I wonder if a couple of cubes would have the same effect as your recent experience?

Back
Top Bottom