420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Emilya

Yep, those look right on. Wow, 49 days is real fast. Heck, so is 52. I have autos go longer in flower. Crazy, and look how amazing the buds look. Good for you, congrats. When the plant sits alone in your office do you mean in the dark? You do the however many hours of darkness thing before you chop her? Also I never did the toaster oven thing to dry and decarb so I could try a test bud. That's why I usually don't do it, cuz I sit and stare at it trying to will it to dry faster and I drive myself nuts, lol. But that sounds like a good idea. Is the 8 minutes a timed thing or is that just how long it took based on observing when it's dry enough to smoke? And how bad does it affect the actual taste of the bud to quick dry it like that? Is the high from the test bud the same as you'd get from it dried normally or does quick drying it skew the buzz too?
Yes, my office area upstairs is mostly in the dark. By mostly I mean that the overhead light only comes on when someone is up there since it is on a motion sensor. Secondly, just to mitigate heat problems, for now the doors to both the veg rooms and the boom room are open, so when their lights are on, indirect light does come out to the office area. The windows are blacked out, so no actual sunlight get in up there, but its not actually dark.

I don't think that matters though, since the goal of 36 hours of darkness after the grow is only to stop the degradation of the trichomes under a big light. It seems to be proven out after doing this for several grows, that this last step is still effective, even if it is not totally in the dark.

The toaster oven seems to work quite well to quickly dry out the buds so they will burn, while also decarbing them a bit in the process. There is no way to even come close to tasting what will be the actual taste of the bud, all this does is get rid of the green taste. None of the final taste after curing will be there. This is just to get an idea of the type of high that will come with this pot, but at 1/4 strength that the final cured pot will have, but without the cured terpines and the conversion of cbd's and thc's into a higher energy plane, the high is not quite the same as what it will be when cured. It can give you an idea where it is going though and if the quick dried can knock you on your butt, you can be assured that the cured bud will be much better.

Regarding the 8 minute thing... that might be a bit long actually. Set on toast, my toaster oven gets up to around 500 degrees, and if you let it go too long, you might as well call the oven a vaporizer and get ready to inhale fast when you open the door. I have found that the edges are just starting to singe and smoke is just starting to come out of the buds when I pull them out... and sometimes you get it right, sometimes its a bit crispy. Last night was just perfect. I set it for light toast and 8 minutes later the oven went off and when I broke it up in my tray the bud was at perfect joint rolling humidity. To be truthful, I have been looking for the correct setting for some time now, and last night was sort of an epiphany here and we might have found the perfect setting. Its not like I will do this often, but there are times when nothing will serve but one of the brand new buds, sacrificing taste and everything, just to try it out.

Yes, my office area upstairs is mostly in the dark. By mostly I mean that the overhead light only comes on when someone is up there since it is on a motion sensor. Secondly, just to mitigate heat problems, for now the doors to both the veg rooms and the boom room are open, so when their lights are on, indirect light does come out to the office area. The windows are blacked out, so no actual sunlight get in up there, but its not actually dark.

I don't think that matters though, since the goal of 36 hours of darkness after the grow is only to stop the degradation of the trichomes under a big light. It seems to be proven out after doing this for several grows, that this last step is still effective, even if it is not totally in the dark.

The toaster oven seems to work quite well to quickly dry out the buds so they will burn, while also decarbing them a bit in the process. There is no way to even come close to tasting what will be the actual taste of the bud, all this does is get rid of the green taste. None of the final taste after curing will be there. This is just to get an idea of the type of high that will come with this pot, but at 1/4 strength that the final cured pot will have, but without the cured terpines and the conversion of cbd's and thc's into a higher energy plane, the high is not quite the same as what it will be when cured. It can give you an idea where it is going though and if the quick dried can knock you on your butt, you can be assured that the cured bud will be much better.

Regarding the 8 minute thing... that might be a bit long actually. Set on toast, my toaster oven gets up to around 500 degrees, and if you let it go too long, you might as well call the oven a vaporizer and get ready to inhale fast when you open the door. I have found that the edges are just starting to singe and smoke is just starting to come out of the buds when I pull them out... and sometimes you get it right, sometimes its a bit crispy. Last night was just perfect. I set it for light toast and 8 minutes later the oven went off and when I broke it up in my tray the bud was at perfect joint rolling humidity. To be truthful, I have been looking for the correct setting for some time now, and last night was sort of an epiphany here and we might have found the perfect setting. Its not like I will do this often, but there are times when nothing will serve but one of the brand new buds, sacrificing taste and everything, just to try it out.
I used an air fryer it works but gotta find the setting

The bud gets toasted then you get toasted. Got it!

Awesome response, thank you. Yep, for the purpose and reasons you describe I totally agree on the light and get that. Love the toaster oven info for exactly the reason you mention. Sometimes you just gotta. Might make the difference between one more eighth at $50 from the dispensary vs. not. Lol. Funny. I knew you'd figure the toaster oven out in a specific, orderly way using the scientific method. Now I don't have to. :adore:

Keeping a plant green right up to the end assures you that the needed nutrients are all there, but seeing this forced senescence work a couple of times, it makes more sense to me and does seem to enhance the buds

Yes! I think the quality is better as well!

Bloom - 7 weeks, 4 days --- 53 days
Geoflora Feed - Day 18
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 2
Number of fast waterings -3
44 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow - 4 months, 5 days

Today at day 53, all of the plants in the room are rushing toward completion. The number of white pistils out has dramatically decreased in the last two days and tonight I could have justified just by sight, moving another two or three plants out into the office area for chopping in 36 hours. I have chosen to let them ride for the moment and just take some pictures of the very nearly completed buds. They still have 2 days to go till the long watering, and this extra dry out might also be very beneficial to finishing out the buds. Tomorrow I will make the decision who still needs a full drink and who are soon to be on the chopping block and maybe dont need as much water to finish out. I am now certain that no plant in the room will be going even 9 weeks... this variety finishes out very quickly and dramatically in the last 2 weeks!

The SNS Spider mite control that I won in the GJOTM contest arrived today. That reminded me to mention that even though I have not sprayed for gnats in 44 days, they never made a comeback. There are a few here and there, but the SNS 209 right up to the end kept them away. I am VERY impressed with how well the natural products work to fight these bugs!

Sorry I didn't get to the unpacking of the new NextLight, but never fear... I work from home tomorrow so I will have lots of time around the house to get this done.

Here, are some pretty bud shots:

DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG

Non-backbuilt in the left rear
DSCF9999.JPG
DSCF9998.JPG

Backbuilt in the rear
DSCF9997.JPG
DSCF9996.JPG

Backbuilt for sure!
DSCF9995.JPG

Bloom - 7 weeks, 4 days --- 53 days
Geoflora Feed - Day 18
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 2
Number of fast waterings -3
44 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow - 4 months, 5 days

Today at day 53, all of the plants in the room are rushing toward completion. The number of white pistils out has dramatically decreased in the last two days and tonight I could have justified just by sight, moving another two or three plants out into the office area for chopping in 36 hours. I have chosen to let them ride for the moment and just take some pictures of the very nearly completed buds. They still have 2 days to go till the long watering, and this extra dry out might also be very beneficial to finishing out the buds. Tomorrow I will make the decision who still needs a full drink and who are soon to be on the chopping block and maybe dont need as much water to finish out. I am now certain that no plant in the room will be going even 9 weeks... this variety finishes out very quickly and dramatically in the last 2 weeks!

The SNS Spider mite control that I won in the GJOTM contest arrived today. That reminded me to mention that even though I have not sprayed for gnats in 44 days, they never made a comeback. There are a few here and there, but the SNS 209 right up to the end kept them away. I am VERY impressed with how well the natural products work to fight these bugs!

Sorry I didn't get to the unpacking of the new NextLight, but never fear... I work from home tomorrow so I will have lots of time around the house to get this done.

Here, are some pretty bud shots:

DSCF0003.JPG
DSCF0002.JPG
DSCF0001.JPG

Non-backbuilt in the left rear
DSCF9999.JPG
DSCF9998.JPG

Backbuilt in the rear
DSCF9997.JPG
DSCF9996.JPG

Backbuilt for sure!
DSCF9995.JPG
Damn, thanks, I hope that was good for you cuz it was awesome for me. I need a cigarette. :laughtwo:

One of the things I notice on your buds and their incredible heath and robustness is that they appear to have generated just gigantic calyxes that are making your buds explode with that look they have. I bet those underneath calyxes that swell and pop hairs get huge! I love watching them. I also can see why you seem to have gone a little back and forth on the idea of keeping the plants green all the way to the end vs. forced senesence...(thanks, now I hate that word too, lol, I won't even take the time to commit it's proper spelling to memory...) your buds look amazing all greened up like that surrounding the beautiful colored buds, and it's visually stunning. It could be argued that looking at the buds in sea of different colored leaves sort of takes away the focus from the buds themselves I suppose, but the bottom line is not the pictures as we know. Maybe you could do a plant comparison in a grow sometime where you let one stay green to the end like these, and you force the S word on another, and compare? That would be cool.

Just gorgeous Em, really beautiful.

The first one has been chopped and weighed. It was one of the smaller plants in the room. 457 grams wet after removing all the big leaves, approximately 3.6 oz dry. We hope to do a little better with the next ones, and it looks like 3 more are being moved to the dark today. The production line has started.

The first one has been chopped and weighed. It was one of the smaller plants in the room. 457 grams wet after removing all the big leaves, approximately 3.6 oz dry. We hope to do a little better with the next ones, and it looks like 3 more are being moved to the dark today. The production line has started.
Do you like to trim?

I do at first, but after a few plants it does start to get old. It looks like I am going to be trimming for the better part of this next week though. lol
I 100% thought it was going to be so fun. 2 and a half hours in I wanted to pour petrol on it and strike a match!

LOLLINGGG.

Another question, and good morning Emmybird :) do you wash? Not yourself, your bud.

Oh and one more thing. Drying. Have you got any tips? I seem to overdry errrrry time.

I 100% thought it was going to be so fun. 2 and a half hours in I wanted to pour petrol on it and strike a match!

LOLLINGGG.

Another question, and good morning Emmybird :) do you wash? Not yourself, your bud.

Oh and one more thing. Drying. Have you got any tips? I seem to overdry errrrry time.
Yep, I saw that you spent some time in trim jail. I am going to invest in one of those roto trimmers soon... I keep threatening, but I think this 11 plant haul is going to do it.

I do bud wash, immediately after trimming.

I watch the drying like a hawk. I too have overdried a crop or two and it causes way too much stress putting the stuff into jars and praying to the moisture gods to bring it back to life. I have gotten pretty good at recognizing when it is dried enough to put into paper sacks, and then from there into jars... I think it is the multiple steps that save me. As soon as the branches are dry enough to snap when I bend them instead of bending, that is when i strip all the buds from the branches and move to paper sacks. As I work with them in the sacks I break up the buds a bit more to a uniform size. I am constantly playing with them at this point, and have gotten pretty good at recognizing the crispy on the outside feel that I want them to start taking on before I put them in the jars. If I jar it and the RH goes up above 67, I put it back in the sack for 6 hours.

Yep, I saw that you spent some time in trim jail. I am going to invest in one of those roto trimmers soon... I keep threatening, but I think this 11 plant haul is going to do it.

I watch the drying like a hawk. I too have overdried a crop or two and it causes way too much stress putting the stuff into jars and praying to the moisture gods to bring it back to life. I have gotten pretty good at recognizing when it is dried enough to put into paper sacks, and then from there into jars... I think it is the multiple steps that save me. As soon as the branches are dry enough to snap when I bend them instead of bending, that is when i strip all the buds from the branches and move to paper sacks. As I work with them in the sacks I break up the buds a bit more to a uniform size. I am constantly playing with them at this point, and have gotten pretty good at recognizing the crispy on the outside feel that I want them to start taking on before I put them in the jars. If I jar it and the RH goes up above 67, I put it back in the sack for 6 hours.
I had some advice that involved putting them in the fridge in paper bags and leaving them for 3 weeks. I told my son and he clutched his non existent pearls and voiced concerns.

I can totally control the humidity in my flower room.

Just so I’m clear, paper sack means paper bag aye?

I can control the humidity in the flower room. What humidity do you recommend, and approx how long from line, to paper bag, to jar. Just approximate times of course.

Omg and would you prefer I ask these questions in the thread I have started or is it ok here? I know some people don’t like outside talk in their grow threads. Sorry in advance if I've done this lolllll

Bloom - 6 weeks, 3 days
Geoflora Feed - Day 10
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 0
Number of fast waterings - 1
36 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow - 3 months, 3 weeks, 4 days

First a situation update. Things are being resolved without my help, probably to spare me, because they know how emotional I can get. I don't know when yet, but at some point in the near future I will be driving the old folks from here to the family plot out in central Illinois to attend the services where he will be laid next to the spot where I will eventually end up. That trip, with an overnight, will take the better part of 2 days, maybe 3. Thank you everyone for your kind and thoughtful words; it really means a lot to have friends who support you in times like these. Don't ever let anyone tell you that online friendships are not real... you all mean the world to me. :love:

So tonight, we have an update! Today was watering day, the first of the next series of fast waterings every 3 days. They were dry too, the hit of o2 this last time most definitely re-energized the roots. Each container was very near dry to the bone and they would have all been drooping a bit by morning if I had waited a 4th day.

I have pretty well made my point about the backbuilding, and we will revisit it again soon, and the ones that did get it and did not get it are pretty obvious at this point, even in group shots. Tonight we are going to instead look at the development of these buds and whether or not they are going to be done in 2 more weeks.

:hmmmm:I go both ways on this. It looks like there are 3 variations in my room and they all are developing their buds a little differently. One, and maybe two of those phenos could maybe convince me that they could be ready in two weeks... the pistils are mostly colored at this point but with a few white ones still very fertile looking at the top. I haven't yet examined the trichomes... that will be for another day... today we just look at the pistils.

There are a few of the plants that are snow white with few traces of colored pistils yet on the top buds, although some of the buds at the bottom of the canopy are starting to color up. There are two kinds of white topped plants at the moment, one simply has a lot of pure white pistils still shooting out all over the bud, while another version has finer pistils and lots of trichomes, giving it an almost white widow sort of look to it. It is probably going to take a close look at the trichomes to see where we are really at, and I need to segregate the room into groups of similar phenotype so I can better see what is going on... again, a chore for another day.

So tonight, a lot of pictures of buds trying to get done, and trying to illustrate the various phenos that I just described. Each day this picture changes just a little and somewhat dramatically at times. This last watering and the resulting upsurge in vigor seems to have really changed the way these buds look, in just two days.

DSCF9966.JPG
DSCF9965.JPG
DSCF9964.JPG
DSCF9963.JPG
DSCF9962.JPG
DSCF9961.JPG
DSCF9960.JPG
DSCF9959.JPG
You mean the world to us too @Emilya ! Never met ya, but I love ya!

I’m ordering a Roto trimmer today! @Buds Buddy mentioned it sometime last year & he modified his to improve functionality. “My guy” at the nearest grow shop (91 freaking miles away but he knows his business) talked me out of buying his but somethings gotta give! I’ve also looked into trim bags which is appealing also. But I think I’ve collected my last scissor hash. I’ll make a post when I decide which way to go…

I’m ordering a Roto trimmer today! @Buds Buddy mentioned it sometime last year & he modified his to improve functionality. “My guy” at the nearest grow shop (91 freaking miles away but he knows his business) talked me out of buying his but somethings gotta give! I’ve also looked into trim bags which is appealing also. But I think I’ve collected my last scissor hash. I’ll make a post when I decide which way to go…
A friend of mine just got a new trimmer off Zon. It came with a Blade for Dry Bud & a Blade for wet Bud. It also came with 3 shims so you can set the blade to different levels of trim you take off. Was $120.

I had some advice that involved putting them in the fridge in paper bags and leaving them for 3 weeks. I told my son and he clutched his non existent pearls and voiced concerns.

I can totally control the humidity in my flower room.

Just so I’m clear, paper sack means paper bag aye?

I can control the humidity in the flower room. What humidity do you recommend, and approx how long from line, to paper bag, to jar. Just approximate times of course.

Omg and would you prefer I ask these questions in the thread I have started or is it ok here? I know some people don’t like outside talk in their grow threads. Sorry in advance if I've done this lolllll
Yes, I mean the paper bags that the grocery store can give you, sack, bag... I couldn't tell you the difference. The length of time at each stage depends on so many things, thickness of the buds, moisture content at chop, humidity in the room etc, and there is no standard answer, or this would be easy. Generally, 3-5 days in the air conditioned house for the first drying on the rack, then typically 2-3 days in the paper bags, and then another week burping the jars several times a day to try to get the rh down to 65. I love questions on my journals... they make things much more interesting than my crazy comments every day or so.
I am sorry you got pulled into an advanced drying method because of peer pressure when you were not ready and had not seen a standard dry and cure yet. These are some of the things that happen online to good people, that make me crazy.

Back
Top Bottom