420 Magazine's Official Girl Scout Cookies Comparative Grow By Emilya

Bloom - 7 weeks, 1 day
Geoflora Feed - Day 15
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 2
Number of fast waterings - 2
41 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow - 3 months, 4 weeks, 2 days

Today I looked all over the room for amber, and found none. The buds are all looking great, but they are not done. I will get in there tomorrow on fast watering day #3 with the microscope, but the loupe did not give me the satisfaction that I needed. The buds are all hardening up very nicely and becoming quite chunky, especially the back cut buds. I suspect that this will start turning on me fast, so we will keep checking it each day. I am in no hurry to harvest even one plant early... we will let them all run until we know that it is time.

There are no complaints to be seen over the lack of feeding this time and everyone still looks very healthy and well fed. Some of the larger plants are starting to take nutrients from the top sun leaves and this indeed seems to look like the start of senescence starting to kick in (@bobrown14 ), but they certainly are not all doing it. They are all still sucking up water quickly and show no signs of slowing down yet... maybe the next watering will be the one that starts all that.

Also, with the ending of the geoflora nutrients I also ended the Terpinator, SNS 209 and the Silica. The last watering was plain unadulterated tap water. Then next one will be the same. All seems well, despite the abuse.

Here are the pretty bud pictures!

DSCF9990.JPG

Here we see a little bit of leaf cannibalism going on as these large buds suck up every available nutrient
DSCF9989.JPG
DSCF9988.JPG
DSCF9987.JPG
DSCF9986.JPG

This may be the only pheno in the room like this, and here too we see a little bit of late leaf damage as these complex buds suck up all the remaining potassium.
DSCF9985.JPG

DSCF9991.JPG

Bloom - 7 weeks, 1 day
Geoflora Feed - Day 15
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 2

Today I looked all over the room for amber, and found none. The buds are all looking great, but they are not done. I will get in there tomorrow on fast watering day #3 with the microscope, but the loupe did not give me the satisfaction that I needed. The buds are all hardening up very nicely and becoming quite chunky, especially the back cut buds. I suspect that this will start turning on me fast, so we will keep checking it each day. I am in no hurry to harvest even one plant early... we will let them all run until we know that it is time.

There are no complaints to be seen over the lack of feeding this time and everyone still looks very healthy and well fed. Some of the larger plants are starting to take nutrients from the top sun leaves and this indeed seems to look like the start of senescence starting to kick in (@bobrown14 ), but they certainly are not all doing it. They are all still sucking up water quickly and show no signs of slowing down yet... maybe the next watering will be the one that starts all that.

Also, with the ending of the geoflora nutrients I also ended the Terpinator, SNS 209 and the Silica. The last watering was plain unadulterated tap water. Then next one will be the same. All seems well, despite the abuse.

DSCF9990.JPG

Here we see a little bit of leaf cannibalism going on as these large buds suck up every available nutrient
DSCF9989.JPG
DSCF9988.JPG
DSCF9987.JPG
DSCF9986.JPG

This may be the only pheno in the room like this, and here too we see a little bit of late leaf damage as these complex buds suck up all the remaining potassium.
DSCF9985.JPG

DSCF9991.JPG
Almost a shame to think we're near the end. I could watch this grow for a lot longer. :kiss:

Bloom - 7 weeks, 1 day
Geoflora Feed - Day 15
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 2

DSCF9990.JPG

DSCF9989.JPG
DSCF9988.JPG
DSCF9987.JPG
DSCF9986.JPG

DSCF9985.JPG

DSCF9991.JPG
Damn those are sweet, what can I say that hasn't been said? Wondering, do they always go after the potassium first? And does this always result in the claw-like look your cannibalized leaves have to them? Like, is that clawing a function of the K thing?

Damn those are sweet, what can I say that hasn't been said? Wondering, do they always go after the potassium first? And does this always result in the claw-like look your cannibalized leaves have to them? Like, is that clawing a function of the K thing?
They go after whatever is needed at the time and for developing buds it is the p and k that is mostly needed. The claw like look is that of a leaf that is being cut off, intended to be discarded, and it can no longer develop the water pressure necessary to rise up, and it is the look of a leaf that is slowly being sucked dry. Also remember that I have skipped this last feeding, so it is natural for the plant to go to these leaves for what is needed for the buds, as soon as the plant has realized that nutrients in the soil are starting to diminish. We are essentially doing what the old school folks tell us to do, starve the plant in the last two weeks so that it is forced to use the nutrients already stored in the plant. It's not quite so dramatic in an organic grow, but I imagine that the pace of feeding has started to slow down. In all but the biggest plants, there are still no leaves being sacrificed for the good of the grow, because the organic feeding cycle is still going strong. I made a comment in my last grow that this isn't quite the same as one of my TLO grows in supersoil, constantly being fed till the end, and that I am learning some new tricks with this hybrid geoflora system. It seems to work though, and the last few grows where I have used @GeoFlora Nutrients, I have gained a new respect for some of the old ways. Keeping a plant green right up to the end assures you that the needed nutrients are all there, but seeing this forced senescence work a couple of times, it makes more sense to me and does seem to enhance the buds... not to mention that it is cheaper too, not having to give nearly as many bloom nutes as one might be tempted to do. I might have to experiment with a TLO grow or two, not giving any teas at the very end, only water.... but I don't think it would be nearly as good and it would be a little shocking to see leaves dying at the end. The question is, which produces the better buds, or is there a difference... we may never know.

Whewwww...all caught up Em!

So much to say about your spectacular garden as always. I cannot deny my heart and energy right now though and I feel for you right now. Hugs, smiles, and blessings from the Baked familia to yours. :(

I want to clarify a point I have been subtly making the last few days...
Some signs of deficiencies are not things that need to be reacted to by the gardener; they are simply the signs of how something is being done. If these signs of apparent deficiencies that we are seeing here were moving up the trunk and more and more leaves were dropping, yes, I would be very concerned. The point is that when you understand why the plant is doing something because of where it is happening, the way the leaves are being taken is a simply a method to conserve the stored nutrients in high demand and not necessarily the signs of an actual deficiency.
This was needed! Thank you for that.
I also note for those who love using calmag as a preventative, that I am not noting any cal or mag deficiencies anywhere in the room. It seems that even with these huge plants, the @GeoFlora Nutrients have that side of things well handled.
I too have not added any calmag to any of my plants. I am not experienced enough to clearly distinguish deficiencies either. I have had a few weird things happen that I cannot explain.
this bud has just now met my benchmark indicating that we are in the last two weeks. The top pistils, instead of some of them sticking straight out as if they were electrified, have all now bent in some way, some are crinkled and bent over at the top... and none of them are sticking straight out anymore. This usually happens just as you enter the final bud swell.
Amazing wisdom right here folks! Bookmarked!
I find it refreshing to see a nutrient company showing us how to save a little bit of money, when they could easily have told us to feed right to the end.
AMEN!!!
just wanting to see how the Geoflora does without a lot of extra help.
Indeed! Same here and I am thoroughly impressed!
My knowledge level has reached the point where I can quickly diagnose most problems on sight
Goals! Until then, unsolicited droopy leaf photos dropping in your DMs!
For most 8 week strains this happens right at the beginning of the 5th week. Stretch happens in the first 2 weeks after the flip. The first week of stretch happens during the transition to bloom and the second week happens on the first week of actual bloom. I do not start my bloom period at the flip... the plants are not yet blooming for 7-10 days, depending on the strain.
If I can, I would like to have a discussion with you about this process and logic. I will be heading into the 5th week soon and would like to experiment and add to the data cluster if I can. Just need some guidance to make sure I'm doing it correctly.
We are cutting the very tip top of the bud, which acts just like a topping... we are in fact topping the bud itself. This sends the growth hormones down lower, just as a normal topping would do earlier in life
If it would be helpful, should I get some pics when I cut mine. I feel this is heading toward a detailed forum pinned post. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know. Like I said, 5th week is coming up in a couple weeks. Actually...I think I may need to recalculate my timeline.
Don't ever let anyone tell you that online friendships are not real... you all mean the world to me. :love:
I am not a good friend in person...or online. I know that most people can't stand me. Online, I'm able to just take that veil down and feel safe. Some places more than others. Thankfully, here I feel I can come in and out from time to time like that annoying cousin everyone has. But that door is always open to let them in when they need to be fed and a place to rest. That is this place for me. I don't have much to offer but this place has blessed me with so much.

I want you to know that you are appreciated for openly sharing your wisdom with joy. Blessings Em ... you are indeed loved virtually on this forum. Newbies like me have a safe place to ask dumb questions or ignore your advice and suffer the consequences. You're still there being as patient as ever and pointing us in the right direction.
Gracias Amiga!

Bloom - 7 weeks, 2 days --- 51 days
Geoflora Feed - Day 16
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 0
Number of fast waterings -3
42 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow - 4 months, 3 days

Today was fast watering day #3 and I could see that a few of them are not taking as much water again and with the same gallon they have been taking I ended up with quite a bit in the drip tray. They are definitely starting to slow down for the finish.

Getting in with the microscope was definitely illuminating! I suspect that under the insanely bright light of the NextLight MEGA, I am just not seeing the amber through the loupe. Looking through the microscope I am seeing plenty of amber. I have to confirm this, because I have no idea which shot goes with which plant, but I do believe that a few of these plants are actually almost done. There are no ambers in the very top calyxes that I could find, so they still have room to get done'er, but hey, right on time and in the predicted window... we have amber trichomes on the sunleaves at the very top ... lots of them.

1631669673668.png

2021_09_14_18_16_59_927.jpg
2021_09_14_18_15_03_476.jpg
2021_09_14_18_15_06_245.jpg

They are not all done, but some of them could definitely be harvested right now according to these pictures. I am still going to give them till the end of the week though, just to be sure and to get a little bit of amber in the very tip tops and lose some more of the white pistils.

That's awesome! Beautiful pics. Pulled out my little microscope to get pics and I forgot to charge it. Insert stupid head slap emoji...again.

Curios about the specific amber percentage you like. What is the effect you are seeking? Do you play with the harvest times at all with other genetics depending on the effect? Or always at the specific amber percentage for any plant?

Bloom - 7 weeks, 2 days --- 51 days
Geoflora Feed - Day 16
Wet/Dry Cycle - Day 0
Number of fast waterings -3
42 Days since last SNS Foliar, SNS 209 given on each watering

Length of Grow - 4 months, 3 days

Today was fast watering day #3 and I could see that a few of them are not taking as much water again and with the same gallon they have been taking I ended up with quite a bit in the drip tray. They are definitely starting to slow down for the finish.

Getting in with the microscope was definitely illuminating! I suspect that under the insanely bright light of the NextLight MEGA, I am just not seeing the amber through the loupe. Looking through the microscope I am seeing plenty of amber. I have to confirm this, because I have no idea which shot goes with which plant, but I do believe that a few of these plants are actually almost done. There are no ambers in the very top calyxes that I could find, so they still have room to get done'er, but hey, right on time and in the predicted window... we have amber trichomes on the sunleaves at the very top ... lots of them.

1631669673668.png

2021_09_14_18_16_59_927.jpg
2021_09_14_18_15_03_476.jpg
2021_09_14_18_15_06_245.jpg

They are not all done, but some of them could definitely be harvested right now according to these pictures. I am still going to give them till the end of the week though, just to be sure and to get a little bit of amber in the very tip tops and lose some more of the white pistils.
Best glitter pics I’ve ever seen right there, Emmybird

:)

That's awesome! Beautiful pics. Pulled out my little microscope to get pics and I forgot to charge it. Insert stupid head slap emoji...again.

Curios about the specific amber percentage you like. What is the effect you are seeking? Do you play with the harvest times at all with other genetics depending on the effect? Or always at the specific amber percentage for any plant?
I like a good amount of amber since most of my stuff is for medical patients, and and for them more couchlock is better. I look in the very top calyxes and try to pull at 2-5% amber up there, which means I have 10-20% down lower than that. As soon as the amber starts coming in at the very top, usually all the white pistils have gone away and it is time to pull... not always though, all this is very much strain dependent.
Not much longer now:yummy:.
Just days... hours even... this is the hardest time of the grow, and I am trying very hard not to go up there and cut out some tester buds. :)
Best glitter pics I’ve ever seen right there, Emmybird

:)
Thank you! You should have seen all the blurry pictures I threw away to get to those!
Im coming in at the end of this grow but looking great as always. I have 30 pages to get caught up on so don’t mind me.

NTH
Didn't even notice you sneak in! It must be that missing toe that makes you so quiet! lol Hope you enjoy the rest of your read, I tried to make it interesting!

My prizes are starting to show up. Dad just let me know that he just signed for what looks like the new Nextlight and yesterday we got the box of goodies from 420 Magazine. My new red and far red LED strip arrived from Austria yesterday too, but the small Meanwell driver is on a 2 week backorder, so we have to wait to play with it.

WooHoo! Thank you everyone! Please support all of the monthly and yearly contests!

My prizes are starting to show up. Dad just let me know that he just signed for what looks like the new Nextlight and yesterday we got the box of goodies from 420 Magazine. My new red and far red LED strip arrived from Austria yesterday too, but the small Meanwell driver is on a 2 week backorder, so we have to wait to play with it.

WooHoo! Thank you everyone! Please support all of the monthly and yearly contests!
Congrats again E! I actually researched that light and it looks like a stud. Can't wait to see what she does for you when the time comes. And if you decide you don't want that red/far red LED strip, I might know someone who could figure out a use for it.....lol...

On a different note, I have an idea for a radical training idea you might be interested in. It involves your tomato cage idea, and I'd love it if you might have five minutes for a back and forth a couple times in a row later on or sometime soon? I'd gladly take it upon myself to reach out at a certain time or something if you do and if you would please? I have a few questions to bounce off you and a sales job to toss at you to try to get you to try this. :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:

Congrats again E! I actually researched that light and it looks like a stud. Can't wait to see what she does for you when the time comes. And if you decide you don't want that red/far red LED strip, I might know someone who could figure out a use for it.....lol...

On a different note, I have an idea for a radical training idea you might be interested in. It involves your tomato cage idea, and I'd love it if you might have five minutes for a back and forth a couple times in a row later on or sometime soon? I'd gladly take it upon myself to reach out at a certain time or something if you do and if you would please? I have a few questions to bounce off you and a sales job to toss at you to try to get you to try this. :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo: :laughtwo:
I will get back to you tomorrow on your note... no time this evening.

Tomorrow I will have more time and we will get to an unwrapping of the new light and the official hanging of it in Veg Room #2. Besides the other projects that needed to get done, tonight I needed to get to a close inspection of some buds. As a result, tonight it has been test bud time!

When I got home from work this evening I went up and determined that two of the plants in the room, "look done." All of their white pistils have turned, the buds look chunky...

So I dragged one of them out to the office area and got out the microscope. Sure enough, this plant is done. It is well done, with about 20% amber if not more. We are at day 52. This plant could have been pulled on day 49.

I chopped off one of the smaller top buds down about a foot into the canopy and took it downstairs to weigh (25.7g), and set it out to dry, and 3 of the nugs were popped into the toaster oven for an 8 minute decarboxylation. I have smoked one of those toasty buds now, and I like this early high. It is warm and intense, and very relaxing. I can't wait till we get some of this properly dried and cured.

Tonight our first plant of the GSC harvest will enjoy time away from the rest of the girls and away from the bright light for 36 hours or so, sitting all alone in my office. Tomorrow around midnight we will chop her and hang her whole in the dark until Friday when I can get her properly trimmed and washed. Harvest is indeed starting, and they are definitely not all coming out at once.

Here are the microscope pics from right at the very top:

2021_09_15_18_53_06_225.jpg
2021_09_15_18_52_21_455.jpg
2021_09_15_18_52_44_809.jpg
2021_09_15_18_53_00_930.jpg

And here are some of the buds, looking done.

DSCF9994.JPG
DSCF9993.JPG
DSCF9992.JPG

I will get back to you tomorrow on your note... no time this evening.

Tomorrow I will have more time and we will get to an unwrapping of the new light and the official hanging of it in Veg Room #2. Besides the other projects that needed to get done, tonight I needed to get to a close inspection of some buds. As a result, tonight it has been test bud time!

When I got home from work this evening I went up and determined that two of the plants in the room, "look done." All of their white pistils have turned, the buds look chunky...

So I dragged one of them out to the office area and got out the microscope. Sure enough, this plant is done. It is well done, with about 20% amber if not more. We are at day 52. This plant could have been pulled on day 49.

I chopped off one of the smaller top buds down about a foot into the canopy and took it downstairs to weigh (25.7g), and set it out to dry, and 3 of the nugs were popped into the toaster oven for an 8 minute decarboxylation. I have smoked one of those toasty buds now, and I like this early high. It is warm and intense, and very relaxing. I can't wait till we get some of this properly dried and cured.

Tonight our first plant of the GSC harvest will enjoy time away from the rest of the girls and away from the bright light for 36 hours or so, sitting all alone in my office. Tomorrow around midnight we will chop her and hang her whole in the dark until Friday when I can get her properly trimmed and washed. Harvest is indeed starting, and they are definitely not all coming out at once.

Here are the microscope pics from right at the very top:

2021_09_15_18_53_06_225.jpg
2021_09_15_18_52_21_455.jpg
2021_09_15_18_52_44_809.jpg
2021_09_15_18_53_00_930.jpg

And here are some of the buds, looking done.

DSCF9994.JPG
DSCF9993.JPG
DSCF9992.JPG
Yep, those look right on. Wow, 49 days is real fast. Heck, so is 52. I have autos go longer in flower. Crazy, and look how amazing the buds look. Good for you, congrats. When the plant sits alone in your office do you mean in the dark? You do the however many hours of darkness thing before you chop her? Also I never did the toaster oven thing to dry and decarb so I could try a test bud. That's why I usually don't do it, cuz I sit and stare at it trying to will it to dry faster and I drive myself nuts, lol. But that sounds like a good idea. Is the 8 minutes a timed thing or is that just how long it took based on observing when it's dry enough to smoke? And how bad does it affect the actual taste of the bud to quick dry it like that? Is the high from the test bud the same as you'd get from it dried normally or does quick drying it skew the buzz too?

Yep, those look right on. Wow, 49 days is real fast. Heck, so is 52. I have autos go longer in flower. Crazy, and look how amazing the buds look. Good for you, congrats. When the plant sits alone in your office do you mean in the dark? You do the however many hours of darkness thing before you chop her? Also I never did the toaster oven thing to dry and decarb so I could try a test bud. That's why I usually don't do it, cuz I sit and stare at it trying to will it to dry faster and I drive myself nuts, lol. But that sounds like a good idea. Is the 8 minutes a timed thing or is that just how long it took based on observing when it's dry enough to smoke? And how bad does it affect the actual taste of the bud to quick dry it like that? Is the high from the test bud the same as you'd get from it dried normally or does quick drying it skew the buzz too?
I dried a tester bud in air fryer it works

Back
Top Bottom