Fan leaves

You should not remove fan leaves as they play a major part of storing and providing the nutrients to the olant as it grows.try actually trimming the leaf itself by cutting it in half leaving half a fan i do this often especially during flowering when i want more light to reach bud sites.ask around more and read up on pruning techniques as this can further help u along.:thumb:

OK... so there ^ are the two schools of thought on the matter :cheesygrinsmiley: I do not care for defoliating, however there are circumstances that I do do it. I take any leaves with damage, that are blocking a bud site (I prefer to tuck them under if they will stay), that are wet due to proximity to another leaf and in the end I take the ones the plant is shedding. There are times I would suggest defoliation, like the bottom of a scrog or if the top is too crowded due to topping. I have not found as others have that defoliating increases bud production (I may try a more controlled test) but if you go down this road make sure you can care for your ladies. If you strip away the fan leaves you strip away the buffer they provide against nutrient and water drops so you better be on it.

yes.
"you should not" is a thing of the past.

when to take leaves or whether to take any at all is now more of a dynamic descision based on your growing enviroment and your plans for the plant.

defoliation is something i like to group in with the 'hi yield per plant' catagory of advanced techniques.

if your growing outdoors then defoliation is pretty pointless unless you can clearly see an obviously blocked bud that could recieve much more light.

defoliating autos is a taboo subject still, short and fast autos really shouldnt be defoliated really, shock vs reward is to great because your on the clock. long life autos are still under review.

it has been said that taking more than 25% of leaves at once is a traumatic event for the plant, i have no data either way.

start removing in veg once plant when plant is healthy. if u decide to defoliate make sure u understand plant needs and nutes. it does work. but as i say to anyone new to growing u sjould prob just grow ur plants out with as little interference as possible so can see how the plant actually grows before using advanced techniques. u wouldnt jump straight into a formula 1 car and be succesful unless u are extremely gifted, u'd start go karting or lower league motor sport first. learn the basics, understand the plant then move on to trying yield and quality improving actions.

Back
Top Bottom