Farside05 Goes SIPs, Mars Hydro FC4800, Osmocote, FN Nutes - Supplements - & GroBuckets

This group may not be the biggest I've grown, but the weight should still be good. Everything is super dense nugs. The back right is nearing harvest. The others are a week or two behind.

This group may not be the biggest I've grown, but the weight should still be good. Everything is super dense nugs. The back right is nearing harvest. The others are a week or two behind.

Hi Farside. Nice to meet you. I have recently taken an interest in sub-irrigating plants which led me to your journal. Do you attribute the density of the nugs to the SIPs? I'm looking forward to learning why you chose to use SIPs and how they are working out for you.

Hi Farside. Nice to meet you. I have recently taken an interest in sub-irrigating plants which led me to your journal. Do you attribute the density of the nugs to the SIPs? I'm looking forward to learning why you chose to use SIPs and how they are working out for you.

Jury is still out on SIPs. I mucked around and changed too many variables to attribute density to just the SIPs. So far I'm attributing the density to proper light to plants height. Seems like if I have the plants under too intense lighting I get a lot of foxtailing and fluffier buds.

SIPs do require more frequent watering although less volume. So my time spent watering is a wash. Even though I'm in a peat based medium, it's more like watering Coco although I don't have to mess with pH since it's a buffered substrate.

Harvested the two Sunsets today. Top three shelves are the front right. Bottom four shelves, back right. For as short as they were, they were yielders of some dense nugs. No real larf. I'd say that each was over 7oz. Real weights to follow after drying.

And then there was one.

Do you wonder what the root system in a GroBucket SIP looks like? You can see where the roots won't continue down to the real wet wicking area. There's nothing stopping them from growing down around the reservoir dome. Doesn't look like it's "air gap" related at all since there's plenty of super saturated media for them to grow into. The roots have just stopped near the top of the done because it's wetter than their liking any lower.

Wow! That was a quick read Farside.

This morning when I saw this journal had been nominated in the OTM contest, I jumped in to it to check it out. I breezed through the six pages and, boom, it was done! From seedlings in October to done deals by mid-January is fast even for autos, IMO. Well done!

One bit of criticism about the journal, I had no idea what FN nutes were. I now know from looking at one of your other journals that they're your homemade stuff, but that info. would have been helpful up front in this journal. (Searching on "FN Special K nutrients" brings up lots of hits relating to the nutritional value of Special K cereal! :straightface: )

BTW, congrats on the nomination!

One bit of criticism about the journal, I had no idea what FN nutes were. I now know from looking at one of your other journals that they're your homemade stuff, but that info. would have been helpful up front in this journal. (Searching on "FN Special K nutrients" brings up lots of hits relating to the nutritional value of Special K cereal! :straightface: )

BTW, congrats on the nomination!

Probably not my best journal by a long shot, but I didn't get to choose which keep one was nominated.

I didn't focus much on the FN component because the Osmocote was expected to do most of the heavy lifting on the fertilizer side. That ended up not being the case at all. Once the plant started blooming, Osmocote couldn't keep up with the plants demands. My outdoor Summer auto did quite well with Osmocote and only needed supplements about every other watering. Not sure why the difference, weather it was the fabric pot vs a SIP, or if it was indoor LEDs vs outdoor and sunshine.

Thanks

The OGesus. She's still drinking about a gallon a day.

The Purple Sunset Auto bud in some big turkey bags for burping. Disregard the numbers on the hygrometers. I just put them in the bags before I snapped the photo, so they're real low. That should increase in the next few hours.

Ahoy Commodore @farside05,
We thank you for letting me tag along. It was not very long after I learned you had went SIP that I was ordering four EarthBoxes. Got a crew coming together in the solo cups I that I will transplant to SIP trays when leaves hang over edge of solo cups. Right now I have the earthbox resevoirs full of r/o letting the leaching of moisture have some time. The whole tray gets covered with a moisture barrier and that should cut down on the top of the container drying out as reported by @Buds Buddy . So in the next few days I should be starting a journal on my trays.

Nice pictures.
I should probably get a ph reading on the soilless mixture they sent with the earthboxes, just FMI.

Back
Top Bottom