Feeling a bit dejected

bobj

I did not anticipate as many problems occurring as they are. First nitrogen deficiency, then what seemed like a mag./sulphur def., and now whatever it is that's affecting my plant (I have no idea).

How many issues did you encounter when you did your first grow? Is this normal for a grower to experience this many problems when they grow pot? I chose soil to try and absolve myself of more responsibility, and now I'm not sure if I made the right choice..

I chose soil to try and absolve myself of more responsibility, and now I'm not sure if I made the right choice..
I'm going through the same thing

20220808_200710.jpg

I did not anticipate as many problems occurring as they are. First nitrogen deficiency, then what seemed like a mag./sulphur def., and now whatever it is that's affecting my plant (I have no idea).

How many issues did you encounter when you did your first grow? Is this normal for a grower to experience this many problems when they grow pot? I chose soil to try and absolve myself of more responsibility, and now I'm not sure if I made the right choice..
A lot of things have to go just right for 3 or 4 months, and that is hard to do. I too have had a series of bad grows as I learn to work in my new house environment. First it was mice, then bugs and now the heat and humidity... every grow has presented me with a different challenge. Luckily, enough goes right that I haven't given up on this yet and even right now, in one room I ended up with some bud rot but in the other room I have a spectacular Auto grow going. You just got to keep plugging away and take your wins and losses as they come.

I can't tell you how many new growers I have seen get frustrated with their first couple of grows and then totally switch methods, thinking that they may get a better grow doing it another way. Frankly, I think you have let too many people give you contradictory advice, and you chose wrongly. I tried to advise you earlier and you rejected my advice for some other, and now you are having problems again. Funny how that works sometimes although it saddens me that you have had to go through this.

Now you have another thread going where you are trying to chase down your problem, and you are going to get a new set of advice from new advisors. Try really hard to figure out who is telling you the right thing, and work with them as they try to gather information to help you. I am going to bow out of this one unless you call me. Let's see if someone repeats my earlier advice.

I hope you don't give up on soil. It really is the easiest way to grow as far as I can tell, but if you think it will be better to totally learn a new method and gather up a new set of advisors, that of course is a good way to go. See if you can figure this one out first though, for it is my experience that after someone has 2 or 3 failures, trying everything everyone tells them to do and trying different methods, they oftentimes give up and leave the hobby, never to be seen again.

Is it okay if I dm you if I need advice?
Bob, no offense meant, but this is exactly what I accuse others of; using the PM system to make contradictory comments privately disputing or even disparaging someone who has given some advice. I consider this to be a cowardly act and I have caught several doing this to me and I don't like it, so I am not going to do the same thing to anyone else. I don't mind a quick question or two via PM, but I don't want to use the private chat to discuss something that might prove to be instructive to many of our members, especially after you have publicly posed the original question. I also want you to be able to know that if I advise you about something, I am doing it in public, in full view of my peers on this forum, which should provide some added assurance that at least I believe that what I am saying is true and able to pass peer review. If someone needs to argue with me about any advice I give, I want their words, white papers and/or video evidence to be on open display so that we can have a group discussion and so that I can fairly counter their arguments.

Bob, no offense meant, but this is exactly what I accuse others of; using the PM system to make contradictory comments privately disputing or even disparaging someone who has given some advice. I consider this to be a cowardly act and I have caught several doing this to me and I don't like it, so I am not going to do the same thing to anyone else. I don't mind a quick question or two via PM, but I don't want to use the private chat to discuss something that might prove to be instructive to many of our members, especially after you have publicly posed the original question. I also want you to be able to know that if I advise you about something, I am doing it in public, in full view of my peers on this forum, which should provide some added assurance that at least I believe that what I am saying is true and able to pass peer review. If someone needs to argue with me about any advice I give, I want their words, white papers and/or video evidence to be on open display so that we can have a group discussion and so that I can fairly counter their arguments.
No offence taken. I'm okay with tagging you, I hope you won't mind.

My first three plants were all healthy.
And, they were all males- at that time, I'd of settled for 1 sickly female...:straightface:

Hey Bob, I feel it is good to learn from other people's mistakes but yet for me, I still end up making plenty of my own. I think that is just our learning path. Best to keep plugging away and try to understand the result of changes you make.

But back to your original post, in my recent few years of growing I began with a 'super soil' approach which I combined with other contrary suggestions which meant I ended up with a super weak soil, and I got a less than couple of ounces at most. Following that grow, I fractionally 'bumped' up the amendments and got a barely better result. And then since over the last 3 years, I have got dramatically bigger harvests after 'adjusting' my mix and method and developing a 'feel' and the confidence to try this or that. Whatever approach you take it has to suit your growing environment. In saying that, I am still very much in the leading pack for the gold medal for mistakes though. Keep at it and you'll get your breakthrough.
:ganjamon:

How many issues did you encounter when you did your first grow?
Not many. There was some strange spots on the leaves and some strange colors showing up. It was in a smallish pot, about 2 gallons, grown outside in partial sun. It was only after I decided that if I could grow flowers and vegetables that were better than what I had done with this one plant did the problems start. IOW, the problems started when I started to push the plant to do more than it could with the limited amount of soil and no added nutrients or fertilizer blends.

I chose soil to try and absolve myself of more responsibility, and now I'm not sure if I made the right choice..
Soil is the easiest. Most soils found in our backyards come already loaded up with what the plant evolved to use a hundred thousand years ago and the sun has not changed.;)

The problems seem to start when we want a plant better than the ones we see on the internet. Or they start when we try to push each plant to do better than the previous one. And we have to do it in a limited amount of space for the roots like a 3 or 5 or 10 gallon pot. Then to make it more fun and even more confusing we want to do it inside and using artificial lights.

When it is all said and done, one of the real reasons so many of us run into problems is we start to second guess ourselves. Or overthink the simple process involved in growing.

Switch to another growing method and you will have to start all over again learning a new way of doing just about everything except for choosing seeds. And don't forget that pesky 'second guessing & overthinking' thing. It gets in the way more often than we want to give it credit for.

I have grown in soil and coco, soil is much easier to grow in. Growing in coco is just as good but you will have to devote more time, water and nutes to grow with it. Lot more to keep your eyes on. Learning the basics of how to water, which i learned from @Emilya . She has a great tutorial on how to properly water. My first grow was horrible, but got some smoke from it. Listen to her and she will steer you on the right path.

The problems seem to start when we want a plant better than the ones we see on the internet.
My sentiments exactly - if we get a pimple on our face do we change our whole lifestyle, brand new diet, only drink smart water!!!???!!! No, we let it heal, vanish and go about our lives pretty much the same. I think we cater to these wonderful plants too much. That being said, my results have been abysmal.

My sentiments exactly - if we get a pimple on our face do we change our whole lifestyle, brand new diet, only drink smart water!!!???!!! No, we let it heal, vanish and go about our lives pretty much the same. I think we cater to these wonderful plants too much. That being said, my results have been abysmal.
You're comparing apples to oranges...Growing is not a mystical green thumb you are born with or not...it's a skill. You need knowledge, dedication, experience and passion. Looking at good grows and trying to copy them is GOOD...

i spent a couple of months using, my mighty dail-up connection to read everything i could on growing. i was a couple days from going hydro and then went with soil because of one comment about losing a whole crop in hydro due to being stoned and over feeding them. i did exactly this a few years later.

first grow was good, eight 5 gallon pots, 8 F1 seeds, one 800 watt light (400 watt mh on one side, 400 w hps on the other). i got, 8 ounces dry. that was my smallest crop in 25 years of growing 24/7. i now use LEDs and am annoyed at how i can't come close to 8 ounces.

FUCK! :)

Back
Top Bottom